Edel Golf announces Irons Coming

RookieBlue7

I sure would love to put this idea to the test, though with production being super limited, I'm sure I won't get the chance.

Try their wedges and you'll see the difference. At first, I had a difficult time getting used to the feel of the divots. It would feel flush, but I would take a very small divot. A month ago I did the Trackman combine test and tore it up with their wedges. In fact, from 90 yards I hit 2 shots that score 99 and 2 shots that score 100 with my Edel LW.

I have hit the 9-iron at this year's demo day for the PGA Merchandise show. It was a prototype. One thing I liked was when I tried to hit a knockdown shot. You could do that with ease.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

And coming are they. It appears that settling up with James Patrick was more costly than anyone knew and he's trying to recoup it all back on the sale of iron sets.

Price points:

3-GW $3150

3-PW $2800

4-GW $2800

4-PW $2450

5-GW $2450

5-PW $2100

That's $350 per club for those doing the math.

And they're not that impressive in looks. The bounce is jacked waaaaaay up on all of the irons (example 7 iron has 12* of bounce). I was always of the school of thought of ball first contact with the club contacting turf after the ball to create compression and launch. It seems Mr. Edel has developed the first ever set of Tour Striker irons, so watch out Martin Chuck. Evidently, creating that much bounce is expensive to do.

Regardless, I'm sure they're a fine forged iron, but that price point won't sell well, IMO.

I don't see them lasting through the season. They'll be on the clearace rack with a quickness.

That's friggin insane for a set of irons. I thought the Ansers were bad..... It'll be interesting to see how many rich guys buy them.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that the price is crazy .. however I note from the "freaked posters" that they seem to have no problem paying big $$ for putters, custom shafts for their drivers, puring and tweaking lofts etc..

Edel seems to be on to something and have a lot of very happy clients with their putters and wedges.. A custom putter from Edel could run well over $750.. Scotty Camerons are over $350 off the rack and Tour Rat putters are over $1,000.. A lot of friends who have the Edel wedges swear by them!

If you gave a tour pro a set of 20 year old Walmart clubs he would beat all of us with ease..

Most important will be to see how they perform in the hands of those who are lucky enough to get them .. Then we will know if they will be the latest "clearance rack special" or if the big boys will be introducing new bounce options on their irons ..

Cheers to all .. :D

... and yes they are offering a muscle back .. 150 sets of cavity and 50 sets of muscle back in this first offering

Being a resident in the land of milk and honey, I have had the good fortune to have been able to play a few rounds with JP. While I don't want to comment on the Edel V. JP scenario, as my writing will come off as completely bias, I can say that JP is one of the nicest guys you'll ever encounter in the industry. He's got a unique skill set, and truly has a passion for his work. He always has his bag full of prototypes and he's always testing his theories and designs on course. He has a grind coming out that will make a chop look like a tour player out of the greenside bunkers.

I did manage to sneak this one while he was looking for my ball OB...hand ground/stamped.

313906_4358211157030_600168111_n.jpg

Posted Image

In my one time dealing with JP I thought he was very nice, polite, willing to answer questions and had no problem. I'm just saying that what he was telling me at the PGA Show is different from what some people interpret now.

I have been told that part of the pricing on Edel's irons is due to the labor, 20 hours or so spent on each set.

I think people don't realize the difference in the business model between Edel and other OEM's such as Mizuno. Edel is not really designed for repeat business. Their business model revolves mostly around making sales from putters and the putters are designed with the idea that they are so well customized for the golfer that it's the only Edel putter they really need. Whereas somebody like Titleist makes Scotty Camerons and the golfer may purchase different models because that's what they want to try out. So with that, the pricing points are going to be very different. The typical OEM will go with a lower price in hopes to get repeat business and Edel is likely going with a higher price because they will likely not get repeat business (outside of a golfer getting a putter, then a wedge, etc).

I've repeated my business with Edel because I thought the idea behind the putter fitting was dead on. And to my surprise, they have virtually everything covered in custom fitting when it comes to putters that I can think of. Recently I got a belly putter and as happy as I was with my regular Edel putter, now that I've figured out the belly putter, my putting is starting to become silly good. I also loved the concepts of the wedge designs, particularly moving the CoG and the scores more out away from the hosel. The LW is becoming a favorite club of mine because I can hit virtually any shot with it and I have uncanny distance control with it on full swings.

I personally can't afford the irons, but I will say that I believe that those irons will provide some clear advantages to the golfer because that's what I have experienced with their putters and wedges.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com