Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Launch Monitor Distance vs. Real Distance?

JamesTucker

Depends entirely on the quality of the launch monitor. FlightScope, Trackman, Foresight...yup, same as real life. I know About Golf is supposed to be good, but I've never used one. Beyond that, it's dicey to trust them too much. The good thing is that even the most juiced launch monitor can give you an "apples to apples" comparison if you test driver A and B on it one after the other.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Indeed. You have to be careful of what type of monitor. Also double check what the temp and elevation settings are on. I've caught a company rep setting the elevation to Colorado levels when someone hits his clubs and back to our standard sea level when hitting theirs.

Also should you be on a About Golf sim, keep in mind that the standard stock ball they use is a Callaway HX Hot in most places. This is going to play a signifigant role in the launch/spin you get out of clubs vs the ball you use.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

What they said ...

I've messed around with clubs at Golf Smith and whatever launch monitors they were using were AWEFUL - half the time we couldn't get a reading.

If you're looking at a fitting situation, I LOVE being fit on a launch monitor, but nothing beats getting out on a course with the sticks to see how they actually perform in real life. I personally HATE hitting off of mats, so indoors tends to not be an exact representation of my normal swing.

In addition to what has already been said: balls.

I've been to a Trackman fitting where they use balls that fly 20% less, because the driving range is in the middle of the city and it's not long enough.

So you have to make your own calculations :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Don't do it at any big box store. Go to a real fitting place. As ST said, the Colorado and sea level thing is not uncommon at all...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

All of these caveats aside - and they are points well taken - I think that if the user is being honest and faithful in setting the thing up and the balls being used are consistent and of a reasonable quality - you're getting the ugly truth. On the course or even on the range you can deceive yourself into thinking you're hitting the ball much farther and better than you really are. On a launch monitor you can always blame the equipment.

If you're finding that you hit the ball "shorter" on the launch monitor than in real life - the monitor is probably spot on.

Having written that it's spot on for what you're doing then and there - not what you did yesterday or what will happen when you get on the first tee - for most of us it's an artificial spot on - As Tim wrote - he hates hitting off of a mat - so that bit of indecision doesn't produce his best swing - I've discovered that I have trouble releasing the club indoors - since I normally play a little draw I end up with lots of pushes - its a great tool but its a part of the fitting process.

Ultimately I'd never buy any club that I didn't compare my current one apples to apples to unless I were with a big time fitter whom I knew I could trust (ie. Bob VanSweden).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The Golf Smith near me is using ForeSight LMs now, they are damn accurate IMHO in terms of distance. The Distance was about correct but it seemed that the SS / BS was a touch low for the distance.

Just pulling some of the number from when I tested the USPG Black Ops shaft

Swing Speed ~ 110mph

Ball Speed ~ 158.5mph

Smash Factor ~ 1.44

Launch Angle ~ 10.3

Azimuth ~ 0.1

Side Spin ~ 254

Back Spin ~ 2461

Total Spin ~ 2475

Decent Angle ~ 40

Carry Distance ~ 284.00

Total Distance ~ 305.00

Now anyone that is around LMs a lot knows one thing or another is off here... Using the trajectory optimizer from FlightScope --> http://www.flightscope.com/index.php/Technology-Explained/trajectory-optimizer.html

We find that the carry distance and total distance doesn't match the SS and Ball Speed + spin / launch numbers... You end up getting something like a 256 carry plugging in the numbers above for the optimizer. No I did not lie about what the number were, I'm not that dumb and don't really care honestly. The distance is accurate in terms of carry I do get a 280+ carry on the course pretty easy. Only time I get a 256 carry is up hill into the wind.

To get a 284 carry at the same launch angle and spin rates you would need about a 170mph Ball Speed. So the ball speed was give or take about 10mph lower then normally I would expect. It Assuming a 1.50 smash that would be at least a 113mph SS so the SS reading also was about 2 to 3mph lower then I would have expected as well for the distance readings that I was getting.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

JMiller,

I spend a lot of time with Foresight at work and I am coming to the same conclusion: ball speed is a bit low. Without the HTM (?) piece, Foresight doesn't even measure club head speed (they just back into it with math), so I always ignore that piece. Oddly, even with the low ball speed, distances seem about right. Every machine has its little idiosyncrasies.

To paraphrase Bruce, the machine can't fit you, it's all about the man behind the machine.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

been using launch monitors for a bit. even if the launch numbers are more or less than u think they shd be, they are good indication whether u are more consistent with comparing clubs

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

been using launch monitors for a bit. even if the launch numbers are more or less than u think they shd be, they are good indication whether u are more consistent with comparing clubs

Ultimately this is the bottom line to the whole thing - you can compare clubs apples to apples on a launch monitor as well as conistency. If it's used as a fitting tool the fitter must use other factors in determining what to recommend for his customer besides the raw LM data - its an art - Golf, like all sport, is an art - I'm a pretty technical kind of guy in regards to my swing and what I play with but I do all of that to make sure I can let the talent that I have (such as it is) come out once I get on the course.

It's an art and there are a lot of ways to paint the scorecard red.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The flightscope in our shop is very accurate. Just double check with the machines settings that people do not tweak with it to play around with the results. I can hit high drawes to low stingers on the Flightscope and it picks it up very accurately. I want on in my house!

-Ryan

logo.jpg

Email: [email protected]

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

Archived