TESTERS WANTED! ×

2 iron

whiskey golf

I have the T-Zoid 2 iron as part of a 2-PW set and could hit it with confidence.

I have only just come back to playing golf (long story) and have swapped to a set of MP-59 Mizuno irons. At first I was still using the T-Zoid 2 iron as they do not make a 2 iron in the 59's.

But then I tried an Adams Idea pro A12 hybrid and now the T-Zoid is out of the bag forever.

Great iron in it's day.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I play the Mizzy MP FLI HI 18 which is a 2 iron. Brendt Snedeked plays the same club as does Matt Kuchar. For me it is long and straight and low and will run forever. There are a couple of tee shots every round where I use this and a couple of more where it is based on the wind. I also have a 4 iron and a 5 wood on either side of this that give a much higher flight and stop much quicker. However if I ever find a

Hybrid that does not hook the ball left I would replace this club.

Hybrid much easier to hit and stop on a dime. But my miss with most of them is 40 yards left. My miss with the 2 iron is less than 10 yards right and short but in play. The hybrid misses are generally accompanied by Penalty strokes.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

However if I ever find a Hybrid that does not hook the ball left I would replace this club.

Try the 910H. I'm really liking them. Plus you can tweak it lower loft and flatter lie.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Try the 910H. I'm really liking them. Plus you can tweak it lower loft and flatter lie.

Thanks for the heads up BK. To be honest, replacing this club is not a priority. I have some Hogan hybrids that I hit weel and do not miss like that with. The Titleist 909H's that I have will miss left. I have recently looked into replacing this club mainly because RPJ2 has the RBZ hybrid he wants to get rid of. That would be a great deal for me but with the closed face, I can be a hook monster. The R11 and Titleist 910H would work but this is not a $120 problem right now.

I will go farther, the Nike VR Pro Hybrid looks like everything I want in a hybrid. As a matter of fact I had owned one for a day earlier this year. I bought it cheap, and took it to the course and hit a great shot with it. The guy I was playing asked to hit it. He hit a great shot with it. He asked how much, I doubled the price, he gave me the money right there on the 17th hole. It got great reviews and the few times I hit it I loved everything about it. I can get one of these for $60 But to be honest, this is not even a $60 problem right now.

Except for last weekend when I had trouble with every club in the bag, I have not regretted hitting the 2 iron over a hybrid at all. However, things will change in the next few weeks when we start to have softer ground and leaves and stuff. Right now, it is safer to bounce down the fairway rather than face a 15-20 mph wind. But once the gournd softens up, it will be time to rearrange the bag again.

Nope. I cant get a 3-iron up in the air, so a 2-iron isnt even a possibility. In my younger days when my back was more flexibile and I swung out of my shoes all the time, I used to play a 2-iron and even a King Snake 1-iron but nowdays I prefer to use the higher launch of hybrids and swing more under control.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Hit a pure, solid, whacked to beat hell 2-iron once - it was 1985. It made me very happy. Haven't tried hitting one since...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have a Hogan Edge CFT 2 hybrid hat I like to play with. Not a gamer but a really fun club.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I just played with both a 1-iron and 2-iron for the first time over the weekend. My regular course has been WINDY the past week or two so I took the 4w and hybrid out of the bag and played my back up irons. A set of 1-iron through SW Maxfli Revolution black dots.

I was genuinely surprised that I actually hit the 1i and 2i decent. Definitely not as easy to hit as a hybrid, but not impossible to hit either. I really liked how the 1i and 2i tended to stay low and run under the wind instead of ballooning and ending up coming back at me by the end of the shot (which my hybrid tends to do sometimes).

I can't say that either the 1i or 2i will have a permanent spot in my bag, but on days with 20-30mph winds I can see myself throwing them in.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have just reshafted the 909F2 15.5 and 909H 19 and 21 hybrids. The reason I have the big left miss has been that the shafts are too weak. I have reshafted the 3 wood with a Talamonti, and put a Motore F1 in the 19 and a UST Proforce V2 in the 21. These are the first 80 gram shafts I have had in them other than steel. I am pretty excited to try these out tomorrow.

I play the 2 iron off the tee but I have concerns hitting it at some greens. I simply do not have the confidence in this club that I can hit it a certain distance. It is more like an area weapon versus a sniper rifle so it is on the bubble and may become a high wind only club.

I will see how this Talamonti works in this FM. Because ot the tip it would work better in a wood that has an adaptor, such as TMag or Callaway Razr but I will try it out here before I spend any money on it.

I'm using a Nike Procombo OS 2 Iron iron in place of my 5 Wood/ 3 Hybrid. I'm playing the Nike VR Procombo which I love dearly and I was curious about Tiger's VR-S 3 Iron (bent to a 2) that he was using at the beginning of the year so I searched and found that Dallas Golf was selling the Procombo OS 2 Iron (new in plastic) for $39, I figure I'd give that a shot before I special order anything. After having this in my bag for about 4 months, It's staying put!

I typically have a very high trajectory on all my clubs (no putter jokes, please...but sometimes yes!) but this guy really has a boring, mid-trajectory ball flight with a lot of roll which makes it a good strategic club for me.

If you can find one of these for under $40, give it a shot - Especially if you tend to hit high hooks (like me) with a hybrid.

GP

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback 10.5 ATMOS Blue Stiff

Fairway:Cobra F9 Speedback 3W, 5W ATMOS Blue Stiff

Hybrid: Cobra F9 Speedback 4H ATMOS Black Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW Project X LZ 5.5   Bent 2* Flat

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 56* - 60* XX Grind Bent 2* Flat

Putter: EVNROLL ER5 35" Gravity Grip

Balls: Taylormade TP5X

I guess it comes down to the player - when I was young it was a great club off the tee - not so hot not a green because I hit it on such a low trajectory - I was fine with a 3 iron into the green - what I'd end up doing is cutting a 4 wood instead of hitting the 2 iron -

Great club for me off the tee though - haven't used one or even tried to hit one in over 20 years though - My Adams Idea pros are too easy to hit - I can flight them high or low - when I first got them I had the hook issue but that's a thing of the past in a big way.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I guess it comes down to the player - when I was young it was a great club off the tee - not so hot not a green because I hit it on such a low trajectory - I was fine with a 3 iron into the green - what I'd end up doing is cutting a 4 wood instead of hitting the 2 iron -

Great club for me off the tee though - haven't used one or even tried to hit one in over 20 years though - My Adams Idea pros are too easy to hit - I can flight them high or low - when I first got them I had the hook issue but that's a thing of the past in a big way.

I probably will not be bringing mine for you to hit next month. There is enough sand there that I wll be toting a 60* Hogan Sure Out wedge instead.

I've long been in the habit of owning all the clubs of any set I liked but never got to the point of regularly bagging a 2 or 1 iron. When I compared them to my fairways, distance and accuracy was much the same but the fairways offered greater flexibility of use, flew higher and were far less finicky about the lie. The three iron was as long as I would bag on a regular basis.

Shambles

I pulled my 5W and replaced it with a Nickent 3DX-RC 2H (17*)which is the same as the 2 iron. I found that I needed a club that I could play from under the trees....and the Nickent worked.....I can play it back in my stance, choke up with a 1/2 swing and get 150 yds or play it center with a full swing from the fairway on a windy day and get 205 yds.

I put it in my bag 2 months ago and i think it's staying there.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Most of my sets of blades have 2 irons The set I am currently playing does not but I have the 3 iron de lofted a little bit for playing in the wind here. A lot of times depending on the course I am playing and the conditions I will pull out my 3 wood and subistute a Tommy Armour 845 2 iron that has been slightly de lofted I sorta do what RP does even though we have never met in person our golf philosophy and past is quite simular

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived