Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

COBRA Launches AMP CELL Drivers

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Slight apologies in advance for regurgitating a press release (several actually) all over the forum, but Cobra called us yesterday to let us (and everyone else in our industry) know that they've excellerated the time table on the release of the AMP Cell Lineup. Our own Nic Sherman has hit the AMP Cell, and has already told all of us that it will be his new driver. Check the main website later today as well be back with some actual commentary on the new Cobra releases.

MyFlyTM and SmartPad TM Technology Provides Unmatched Performance

CARLSBAD, CA (September 24th, 2012) – COBRA Golf is bringing something juicy (again!) with the launch of the AMP CELL and AMP CELL Pro Drivers. Unlike any other driver available in the market, the AMP CELL and AMP CELL Pro Drivers feature COBRA's new breakthrough MyFly technology, allowing golfers to select from 6 different loft/trajectory settings (in one club) for optimized performance and distance based on a golfers' swing or weather and course conditions. In addition to MyFly technology, COBRA is reaffirming its status as the first club manufacturer to offer a choice in color by creating the AMP CELL Driver in four fresh colors - Silver, Directoire Blue, Barbados Red and Vibrant Orange.

“The AMP CELL Driver offers golfers the adjustability, innovation, customization and choice they want but have not been able to get - until now,” said Bob Philion, President. “We are taking adjustability to another level with our MyFly technology, offering 6 different loft/trajectory settings golfers can change to adapt to their swing or playing conditions. The technology combined with the color choice reaffirms COBRA's positioning as a performance driven brand infusing more joy into the game.”

MyFly Technology offers a simple solution for golfers to optimize trajectory and distance. The AMP CELL Driver can be adjusted to the following lofts with a simple wrench; 8.5°, 9.5°, 9.5° Draw, 10.5°, 10.5° Draw and 11.5°; and the AMP CELL Pro can be adjusted to 7.5°, 8.5°, 8.5° Fade, 9.5°, 9.5° Fade and 10.5°. Golfers can now customize their club based on swing speed (higher lofts for slower swing speeds and lower lofts for faster swing speeds), weather (lower lofts to bring ball flight down on windy days) and course conditions (higher lofts for more carry).

The AMP CELL and AMP CELL Pro take adjustability a step further with SmartPad technology. Unlike other drivers that require a golfer to adjust the sole plate after adjusting loft for a square face, COBRA's proprietary SmartPad technology delivers a square face at address regardless of loft setting and still allows for workability to slightly open or close the face as desired.

COBRA's E9 Face TechnologyTM with dual roll is used in the AMP CELL and AMP CELL Pro Drivers for an elliptical face shape with a canted bulge and roll that improves distance and accuracy on mis-hits from heel to toe and above and below the centerline.

Advanced Material PlacementTM and Cell technology work together to enable a 12% larger elliptical E9 Face shape to deliver faster ball speeds and high MOI (moment of inertia) on mis-hits. The Cell technology saves and redistributes weight in a granular way and is visible on the drivers in the Cell band which wraps around to the crown. This wrap also visibly shows a golfer where the weight is distributed, with the AMP CELL Driver having a CG optimized for low-mid handicap players, the AMP CELL Pro using a lower, more neutral CG position for better players and the AMP CELL Offset have a heel-biased CG for slice correction.

Taking choice and customization one step further, COBRA is offering the AMP CELL Driver in four fresh colors; Directoire Blue, Silver, Vibrant Orange and Barbados Red. The AMP CELL Pro is offered in Vibrant Orange and Silver. The sole of the club features a curved Cell band in the featured color and the crown of the club is the solid featured color. In the AMP CELL, the white Fujikura Fuel shaft features an edgy paint splatter graphic.

The AMP CELL Driver is also available in an offset model designed to help tame a slice. The offset design offers the golfer more time to square the face at impact and provides more heel-biased weighting to help hit straighter drives. The AMP CELL Offset Driver features an MRC COBRA AMP Shaft and a Lamkin COBRA REL grip. The Offset model is Revolver Grey with hints of Barbados Red.

The COBRA AMP CELL Driver (MAP $299) is available in both right and left handed models with My Fly technology which allows any driver you purchase to be adjusted from 8.5° to 11.5° loft settings, including 9.5° and 10.5° draw settings. It is available in Stiff, Regular and Lite flexes and features a Fujikura Fuel shaft (60g S and R, 55g L and 45.75” length) and has a 460cc head.

The COBRA AMP CELL Pro Driver (MAP $399) is available in both right and left handed models with My Fly technology which allows any driver you purchase to be adjusted from 7.5° to 10.5° loft settings, including 8.5° and 9.5° fade settings. It features a MRC Kurokage shaft (65g and 45.25” length) and has a 440cc head.

The AMP CELL Offset Driver (MAP $249) is available in 10.5° in Stiff, Regular or Lite flexes for both right hand and left hand models. It is also available in a right hand 11.5° model in either Regular or Lite flexes.

The AMP CELL, AMP CELL Pro and AMP CELL Offset Drivers will be available at retail on February 8th, 2013. To find an authorized COBRA dealer near you, visit http://cobragolf.com/dealer-locator

The AMP CELL Driver is not alone in color or technology. AMP CELL Fairways and Hybrids also feature MyFly technology and are available in the same four colors while the AMP CELL Irons are a clean silver with hints of color. Learn more about the AMP CELL Family of products here http://cobragolf.com/

Amp_cell_Pro_Driver_Address Orange.jpg

Amp_cell_Pro_Driver_Address.jpg

Amp_Cell_Pro_Driver_Face.jpg

Amp_Cell_Pro_Driver_Face_orange.jpg

AMP_Cell_Pro_Driver_Hero_Orange.jpg

AMP_Cell_Pro_Driver_Hero_Silver.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! I guess I can wait a few more months :P

Got any pictures of the blue and red?

Is the Fujikura Fuel a new model? Couldn't find any info about it.

EDIT: Saw the blue and red on the other thread.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Really liking the looks of this bad boy. I'd have to go Pro for the KuroKage. The Fuel sounds like it's just another made-for. Any idea if the new adapters will fit in the older drivers or if the current adapters will fit in the new drivers?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Really liking the looks of this bad boy. I'd have to go Pro for the KuroKage. The Fuel sounds like it's just another made-for. Any idea if the new adapters will fit in the older drivers or if the current adapters will fit in the new drivers?

I read somewhere that the Fuel is a real after-market shaft and was just tested on tour couple of months ago.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If this driver is anything like the AMP I'm currently using, Cobra has a winner for 2013.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback 10.5 ATMOS Blue Stiff

Fairway:Cobra F9 Speedback 3W, 5W ATMOS Blue Stiff

Hybrid: Cobra F9 Speedback 4H ATMOS Black Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW Project X LZ 5.5   Bent 2* Flat

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 56* - 60* XX Grind Bent 2* Flat

Putter: EVNROLL ER5 35" Gravity Grip

Balls: Taylormade TP5X

• SPY VIP

Here we go...the first couple handfuls of in-hand picks.

A couple of quick observations:

• Different tips for left and right-handed models (one of our samples is left-handed...weird)
  • Apart from the multiple color options, the theme of this thing appears to be Splatter
  • Not sure I'm completely buying into the one loft for all. Obviously we're taking about the difference between actual loft and effective loft, and like every other adjustable system on the market today, the Cobra system does not change actual loft.

I'm hoping to have a chance to hit it later today, but I've got a lot on my plate today.

UPDATE 9/28/13

After hitting the AMP Cell Driver on the launch monitor over at Tark's on Wednesday, I decided to bring one (the blue one...I really like the blue one) out on the golf course with me for my regular 9 hole Thursday evening round.

From a ball flight perspective, on course testing basically reinforced what the launch monitor was telling me. With the stock configuration (and that's all we have to test for the moment), the AMP Cell launches high, and by my standards, spins like a Dwight Gooden curve ball (the really good one...back when he was all coked-up). That's not to say it generates a ton of sidespin. As you hopefully know, sidespin isn't a real thing (spin is spin, and it only occurs across a single axis), so really what I'm talking about is more akin to backspin (though spin is just spin, neither back nor side); which translates to a high, semi-ballooning flight. I was consistently above 4000K on the AG launch monitor.

My guess is I lost upwards of 20 yards on my best swings. The upside is I hit 5 of 7 fairways (and the ones I missed were do to pretty grotesque swings (dead pulls both times). Also...I normally would only hit driver 2 or 3 times on that stretch of 9. The two I missed were short par 4s where I hit hybrid 95% of the time.

This shouldn't suggest that the AMP Cell will prove to be an abnormally short driver. The stock rig just happens to be an exceptionally lousy fit for me.

Our take on the whole MyFly/Smart Pad combo is that Cobra is trying to simplify fitting for the masses. My guess is that it will in fact work well for the masses, but for those on the fringe, the one size approach is going to be an issue.

Why is that?

Well...there's actual loft, and then there is effective loft. Actual loft is, well, the actual loft of the clubhead. No matter how you align the Cobra shaft *actual* loft will remain fixed. I'm hoping to track down a loft gauge, but common sense would suggest the actual loft of the AMP Cell driver is +/- 10 degrees.

The problem with relying on the shaft to *change* loft is that it doesn't alter spin characteristics to the same degree as reducing actual loft (changing to a lower lofted head). For example, if you take a 10.5 degree TaylorMade R11s, and gronk it down to the lowest loft setting (-1.5 or 9 degrees), it's going to spin more than the 9 degree model with no adjustments.

For guys (like me) who rely on lower lofted clubs to keep spin in check, this one-size fits all approach *may* cause a serious fitting problem. Of course...wild unconfirmed speculation here...I would also guess the Tour model (which we haven't seen yet) will offer lower actual loft.

Regarding the SmartPad...like TaylorMade's ASP the physical impact it has on the clubhead requires the club to be grounded at address (basically the curvature of the SmartPad ensures the head will always sit dead neutral). Functionally, it's very similar to TaylorMade's ASP plate set in the neutral position. The distinction is that one could argue Cobra's system is much simpler for the average golfer to understand - that assessment also includes the MyFly loft display, which is by far the slickest presentation of any adjustable driver to date.

If I'm being brutally honest, Cobra hasn't really done anything revolutionary with the AMP Cell. What they've done is take a well established adjustable system (TMaG's FCT/ASP combo), and made it substantially more 'average golfer' friendly. That doesn't mean it's better or worse...just different. Habitual tinkerers who love any excuse to use the wrench (count me among them), will probably wish they could do more. Guys who want to dial it in and never think about it again (but still be able to explain to their friends how it all works), will love the MyFly/SmartPad combo.

Finally...from a sound and feel perspective, my take on the AMP Cell is that it's less tinny than the original AMP. Sound is perhaps slightly more muted. The feel is unusual to say the least. Crisply (center) struck balls feel quite a top quality forged iron. A little soft, and almost like you didn't hit the ball at all. As I said...it's quite distinct for a driver, but I definitely like it.

Mis-hits...almost anywhere else on the face, feel more like a traditional driver. They still feel pretty damn solid, which depending on your preference for feedback could be either good or bad.

AMPCELLD-1.jpg

AMPCELLD-2.jpg

AMPCELLD-3.jpg

AMPCELLD-4.jpg

AMPCELLD-5.jpg

AMPCELLD-6.jpg

AMPCELLD-7.jpg

AMPCELLD-8.jpg

AMPCELLD-9.jpg

AMPCELLD-10.jpg

AMPCELLD-11.jpg

AMPCELLD-12.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

Any insight into how this "Smart Pad" keeps the face square at every loft?

I just uploaded a bunch of pics, and X is working on a post (not sure if he was able to get the explanation or not).

From what I could tell, and there's a chance I'm completely wrong, it basically is like an automatic version of TMaGs ASP plate. Basically it readjusts the soled orientation of the head back to neutral to counteract (for lack of a better word) the hosel-based adjustment.

In my mind...and until I'm told differently, it's ASP for dummies, but always set at neutral.

A: Real deal Kuro Kage? And the Black or the Silver model?

B: So is this a direct replacement of the AMP head for the standard version and the Tour version is like the new ZL Encore?

C: No weight port eh? That's disappointing.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Alright, the Fuel shaft intrigues me. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

The headcover is hideous. Not surprising. The AMP cover sucked too.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Yes. Not that I would game an OEM cover, but that's particularly awful.

I'm actually keeping the OEM mashie covers. Might even buy a Classic headcover for my AMP I like it that much. I've got the Notre Dame mascot on my driver cover :) and a non-OEM putter cover. Cobra has never wowed me (positively) with their covers.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

I like the look of the driver.

But there is WAY too much text to read when looking at the club face on. Not that I stare at my driver's clubface much, but they went a little overboard there.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Looks like Cobra is doing well with Puma......I'll have to try the blue ones out when they get to the stores.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Alright, the Fuel shaft intrigues me. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

The headcover is hideous. Not surprising. The AMP cover sucked too.

I liked the original AMP cover but I replaced it with the Puma Monoline cap head cover when they came out. It looks like the same design but the paint splotches look like they stolen it from the set of a Milli Vanilli video shoot!

GP

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback 10.5 ATMOS Blue Stiff

Fairway:Cobra F9 Speedback 3W, 5W ATMOS Blue Stiff

Hybrid: Cobra F9 Speedback 4H ATMOS Black Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW Project X LZ 5.5   Bent 2* Flat

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 56* - 60* XX Grind Bent 2* Flat

Putter: EVNROLL ER5 35" Gravity Grip

Balls: Taylormade TP5X

SEND ME THAT DEMO WHEN YOU ARE THROUGH!!!! please :P

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

I've updated my original picture post with some details about MyFly and SmartPad, as well as some additional info gleaned from the launch monitor, and the 9 holes I played with the AMP Cell last night.

Post is on the first page of this thread...look for the in-hand pics.

Good write up. I have to think that the shaft plays a pretty big role in the spin story of this club. (When I tested it, I HATED the Fuel shaft. First question I asked was about other shaft options). Can't wait for the LM data.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Good write up. I have to think that the shaft plays a pretty big role in the spin story of this club. (When I tested it, I HATED the Fuel shaft. First question I asked was about other shaft options). Can't wait for the LM data.

Nic, I'm fairly certain you're right about the shaft to a large extent, but...even if I were to drop in a Matrix 7m3 (the lowest spinning shaft I've found to date), my guess is the spin numbers are still going to be a bit high. Admittedly, I'm an extreme example where spin is concerned, and most golfer would probably be able to find a Cobra upgrade that gets therm where they need to be.

To an extent, that's also exactly what the AMP Cell feels like a bit of a miss. If you believe that the system is built to make everything as simple and obvious as it can be, offering only a single stock shaft (which in my assessment may be too far from the middle for most golfers), doesn't quite achieve the desired results; at least not from a fitting perspective.

Maybe the blue head spins more than the silver one😜. J/k. I am really interested in getting my hands in one for some extended testing now. My experience is VERY limited. (About 10 shots). But also VERY good. (Might have been swinging well that day). I am truly hoping that club turns out to be more than just hype....

I'm in.....if they include the Project X graphite shafts as an option.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I was thinking this was a brilliant move. One head, multiple lofts. But now you have me a bit confused.

So if the loft of the face is 10, and you have it set for 11.5, what exactly is happening? Does the system angle the whole head back to create the new loft (this what I assumed)? Does it require you to ground the head at address with the 'smartpad' and then keep that position through out the swing (which sounds a bit awkward and silly)?

I also despise the headcover.

And what is up with no black option? Not sure I like any of those colours.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

• SPY VIP

I was thinking this was a brilliant move. One head, multiple lofts. But now you have me a bit confused.

So if the loft of the face is 10, and you have it set for 11.5, what exactly is happening? Does the system angle the whole head back to create the new loft (this what I assumed)? Does it require you to ground the head at address with the 'smartpad' and then keep that position through out the swing (which sounds a bit awkward and silly)?

I also despise the headcover.

And what is up with no black option? Not sure I like any of those colours.

Fundamentally, Cobra isn't doing much of anything we haven't seen before. With all the adjustable systems I've seen, the adaptor is offset such that when you change a setting (add or remove loft), what you're actually doing is re-orienting the shaft such that it leans slightly more or slightly more aware from the target. While I haven't looked at it closely, my presumption is that the draw bias is accomplished through a setting that places the clubhead slightly more upright.

As far as the smart pad is concerned, like TaylorMade's ASP, it's a ground-based technology. Basically it doesn't alter anything unless the driver is firmly soled on the ground. The functionality is similar to setting a TM ASP plate to the neutral position. It's visual only. There's nothing in the technology that can magically alter the angle of the face. That is to say, that if you were to hold the clubhead directly out in front of you (parallel to the ground), neither technology, in the non-grounded state, alters anything.

IMO, there's nothing really new happening with the AMP Cell. What Cobra has done, however, is create a system that's user-friendly, intuitive, and well packaged (loft visible through the hosel). It's extremely simple, and should do well with the guy who thinks he needs adjustability, bells and whistles, etc., but doesn't want to get bogged down in the more technical details.

All of that said, While I do like the club itself, I'm personally not a fan of the one-size fits all approach.

Archived