A: Mizuno

B: Nike

2: Worst Irons

A: Taylormade

B: Wilson

3: Picture

20120926_080435.jpg

4: Mini Review – Looks

When discussing looks, usually it's pretty straight forward for Mizuno irons. They look like a shiny, chrome blade and that's either your thing (most golfers) or not (you're probably from Mars) and thus does the story end. The JPX 800 and 825's are a bit of a recent departure in that they've also added Blue to the badge to catch your eye on the rack. Thus the JPX 825 Pro's are an interesting blend. They're still fairly colourless but instead of the bright poppy chrome, you get a fairly muted metal colour, at least for the head and then black polymer to further enhance the darkened look. Staring back at you from the cavity is the shiny chrome you would expect proudly announcing the model name. Sort of like a knight in shining armour striding out of the darkened forest. Though I'm sure Mizuno would probably prefer some sort of Samurai or the like in that imagery. Here's where you'll also notice that the cut out slot in the cavity differs in size per iron between the 4-7 and disappears in the scoring irons entirely.

Flipping the JPX 825 Pro over to take a look at the sole, you'll immediately notice that Mizuno has gone back to the triple cut sole cavity that's been a fixture in their irons before. The angles seem somewhat different, but anyone who's familiar with the MX200 or MX300's will recognize it immediately. We'll touch on this more later when we talk about the performance of the club and the technology behind it but just in terms of looks, I really like it. For lack of a better phrase, it's very “Mizunoey”. By that I mean it's clean, it's understated but it also shows that there's a lot of technology built into Mizuno clubs and it's there if you want to look. It just won't jump out of a darkened alley and beat you over the head with a neon green glow stick that proclaims how awesome it is with all its alien space ship infused goodness.

Finally and most importantly, we flip that club over at address and take a look. As I gander down upon it from my lofty height of not very tall at all, a number of things show up immediately. First, the darkened chrome look transfers across to address. For me, it doesn't do much but for those in say Florida with the sun beaming down all the time it'll be nice not to have the glare in your eye all the time. The second is that the top line has been bevelled to appear smaller then it is. By no means is it large, but with the beveling it looks more like a blade that had a few to many muffins while on holiday. Who are we to begrudge someone extra muffins eh? Suffice to say it looks great.

As for offset, you'll see an expected amount for a players club. It's not a lot but it's certainly there. It won't fix your release nor kick the ball way up in the air but it will help out with small timing or compression miscues, exactly what a players iron should do really.

All in all, I think this is an interesting package in looks for Mizuno. It's different from what they usually offer but not in a neon light saber flailing way.

Sooo uh..... If yer selected can I join you at the course? :rolleyes:

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current model and flex of your irons: Titleist 735CM, Stiff

Your Handicap: 14

Your Age: 42

Are you Left or Right Handed: Right

Do you know your iron specs: 2Ëš flat, 1" short

(FWIW, I just bought a bending machine so I can bend/trim clubs if the OEM doesn't want to do it ahead of time.)

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: Mizuno, Nike

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf: Cleveland, Callaway

I was planning on doing a review anyway, so I just went all out and posted a complete iron review. Here is the thread: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/7078-feel-competitor-irons/

Depending on the weather in November (could be 50 and sunny, could be -5 below and snowing) I may have to test the clubs indoors. I can also go over to Golf Galaxy and use their launch monitor for some data. Both are no big deal, and I'm more than happy to do it.

Thanks for the consideration,

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• SPY VIP

The current model and flex of your irons: Titleist 735CM, Stiff

Your Handicap: 14

Your Age: 42

Do you know your iron specs: 2Ëš flat, 1" short

(FWIW, I just bought a bending machine so I can bend/trim clubs if the OEM doesn't want to do it ahead of time.)

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: Mizuno, Nike

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf: Cleveland, Callaway

I was planning on doing a review anyway, so I just went all out and posted a complete iron review. Here is the thread: http://forum.mygolfs...mpetitor-irons/

Depending on the weather in November (could be 50 and sunny, could be -5 below and snowing) I may have to test the clubs indoors. I can also go over to Golf Galaxy and use their launch monitor for some data. Both are no big deal, and I'm more than happy to do it.

Thanks for the consideration,

BK

100% totally off topic, but what kind of bending machine did you buy. Didn't think I needed one, but once all the tools arrive, it will be the only rig of any consequence I don't have, so of course, now I really want one.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

100% totally off topic, but what kind of bending machine did you buy. Didn't think I needed one, but once all the tools arrive, it will be the only rig of any consequence I don't have, so of course, now I really want one.

I got a used Mitchell TourGauge. I've been trying out an awful lot of irons lately along with trying out different lie angles so it just made sense for me to start bending them myself.....

IMG_4047.JPG

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

You didn't ask, but I'll throw in my two cents. I have thought long and hard about it and came to this conclusion. With what little bending I would be doing, it would A...take quite a while to pay itself off, and B...if I break something it's at a cost to me, where as if I took it to a professional, they would likely cover anything that gets broke.

• SPY VIP

I got a used Mitchell TourGauge. I've been trying out an awful lot of irons lately along with trying out different lie angles so it just made sense for me to start bending them myself.....

Can't go wrong with a Mitchell, but if I had the cash on-hand, I'd probably get the MR3 TrueBlue since it can handle, irons, woods, hybrids, and putters, for nearly half as much as a Mitchell with the same functionality.

You didn't ask, but I'll throw in my two cents. I have thought long and hard about it and came to this conclusion. With what little bending I would be doing, it would A...take quite a while to pay itself off, and B...if I break something it's at a cost to me, where as if I took it to a professional, they would likely cover anything that gets broke.

I'm contemplating trying to get an International Clubmaker's Guild Certification. There are two guys that have for the last couple of years handled most of the repair needs at my club. One of them has moved to Florida semi-permanently, and the other doesn't have the best reputation for turn-around time (3+ weeks he left a guy without his 6 iron), so there's an opportunity to make a little side money. Granted, it would be a while before I could pay off the TrueBlue...maybe I can get them to send me one for review.

As far as the professionals covering anything that breaks. I wouldn't bank on it. The several guys I know who do this kind of work will not guarantee anything (you really never know when something is going to snap - it's rare, but it does happen). Most actually require their customers to sign a waiver acknowledging as much, and absolving themselves of any responsibility. Your best, and really only bet for maybe getting a guarantee is to work through the OEMs.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Granted, it would be a while before I could pay off the TrueBlue...maybe I can get them to send me one for review.

That would be awesome. If you did get certified, it would be well worth it. I only build stuff for myself, family, and friends and if it needs to be bent, I have them take it to a club fitter.

As far as the professionals covering anything that breaks. I wouldn't bank on it. The several guys I know who do this kind of work will not guarantee anything (you really never know when something is going to snap - it's rare, but it does happen). Most actually require their customers to sign a waiver acknowledging as much, and absolving themselves of any responsibility. Your best, and really only bet for maybe getting a guarantee is to work through the OEMs.

I almost edited my response to add that I have had very few things bent and when I did, it was from the factory or a custom built set from a certified OEM club builder. I wouldn't expect something I bought off the shelf to be covered.

It's weird that this is my first official post here in the MyGolfSpy Forums but I just felt compelled to register and enter for the opportunity to review products for MGS! Living in Victoria, BC on the West Coast of Canada, I have access to over a dozen golf courses within an hour's drive of my home, and the luxury of being able to play nearly year-round thanks to the mild weather we generally experience even during the winter months!

The current model and flex of your irons: TaylorMade R9

Your Handicap: 8.2 index

Your Age: 41

Are you Left or Right Handed: right-handed

Do you know your iron specs: stiff flex steel shaft, 1* upright with mid-size grips with 3 wraps of tape

1.Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf In my HUMBLE opinon TaylorMade and Mizuno

2.Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf I don't really have much of an opinion on this because I think EVERY club maker has or had some really bad irons in their time!

3.Upload an original photograph of a piece of golf equipment in your bag right now

305886_10150447218059739_442218356_n.jpg

4.Using one of our ULTIMATE Reviews as a template, write 1-3 paragraphs describing ONE of the following aspects (your choice) of the club that appears in your photo:

LOOKS

I recently traded my Odessey White Ice #1 putter out of my bag for the TaylorMade TM110 Ghost putter. I then had a Black Widow Widowmaker putter grip installed on it because I found the TM grip to be too small and too short for my putting grip. The BW grip is slightly thicker and longer than the TM grip, even though it is ony a mid-sized putter grip. I like the feel of the grip in my hands, mainly due to the "D" shape that helps me maintain a consistent grip feel and not "choke" the club while making putts. I especially like the way the BW grip comliments the white clubface of the TM Ghost putter! I constantly receive comliments on the putter from people I golf with! Since switching to the TM Ghost putter, I've dropped my average putts per round from 31 per round to 29! I would highly recommend this putter to anyone looking for a putter with excellent feel and weight that promotes consistent putting strokes.

Sooo uh..... If yer selected can I join you at the course? :rolleyes:

See MGS? It would be like getting two testers in one. Really, three, if Dan brings along his Yeti B)

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

MP-59-Mizuno.jpgMP-59-Water-Rising.jpg

Back home from PNG, grabbed the camera and so here are my photos to go with my entry.

MP-59 5 iron and then I had to show off biggrin.gif

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

One More

AJMP-59-Iron-Set.jpg

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

Test

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

Ryder Cup Special

AJ

MP-59-Golf-Babe.jpg

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

The current model and flex of your irons: Bridgestone J40 CB PX 6.0 flighted

Your Handicap: 5

Your Age: 30

Do you know your iron specs: never been fitted

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: Titleist and Bridgestone

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf: Tour Edge and Wilson

The one piece of equipment in my bag I would like to share is my TM 2.0 driver. Starting with the looks of the club which like many is what first attracted my attention. I love the look of the white crown. It just adds something special, something different. It was nice to see something that stood out from every other driver on the market. Many have said that the contrast in the colors of the crown and face make it easier to align. To which I'd have to agree. The contrast does help a bit.

Having never been fit for a driver and also never finding one that was reliable I thought before buying it based off looks alone I should get this on a monitor and compare it to the 909 I was playing. I went to my local Golfsmith and had a go with it. The numbers were incredible! Because of the longer shaft I was able to square the face easier than I ever was. I honestly don't think the sound is any different from other drivers before it. When struck solidly there is a real nice ping to it, it's almost quiet! What I love best is the performance. Like I said earlier the numbers on the monitor were really good for me. Spin rate was anywhere from 2900-3500, compared to the 4100-4500 on the 909 o was using. Launch angle was about 13-14 degrees. Not saying I never miss a FW anymore but I am much more accurate with this driver than any other one I have ever gamed.

I know I am new here and some may scoff at this because my post count is only 5 but I did not join this forum for the testing. I have tested for another forum before and know its not an easy task. I feel like I would do a good job and could bring some good insight to testing. If I ever do get picked I will take the responsibility seriously

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• SPY VIP

Richard,

Getting ready to head to bed but saw your post and totally understand where you are coming from. But I think T's statement just needed some further explaining for you to understand what was meant. I will definitely post a response to this when i have more time in the week, but just wanted to let you know while I had a second that I can see where you would be coming from. But I think you will totally get what is meant when it is explained.

Definitely no arrogance involved, but could easily be viewed that way. But still love that you and others keep us in check with posts like this. You can always feel free to say how you feel about what goes on within MGS.

X

#TruthDigest

I understand where both of you are coming from. RPJ, that was a seriously good post. Maybe the best expression of feelings I've ever read on a golf forum. Kudos to you for speaking your mind.

I think I understand where MGS is coming from, but I'll wait till he posts to verify that... I might embarrass myself if I posted my thoughts and was totally off.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• SPY VIP

Please let me preface my comments with the hopefully obvious fact of my thoughts, feelings and opinions regarding T, X, Matt and all of the Spys, the members and MGS in general. I think you're the best. Hands down. No discussion. My posts, and more importantly, my actions, should make that painfully obvious.

Yet, the above statement sickens me. I don't care how it was intended. You can also read my views on "intentions." Most people, & I would include everyone involved with MGS in that group along with most of the members and definitely the "regulars," do not intentionally intend to anger, hurt or cause ill feelings. Yet, it happens. True feelings are voiced, dissagreed with, and usually all hell breaks loose. Not at MGS. Not now. Not here. That is one of the major factors that separates MGS, the staff & the members from other sites. We state our feelings in a respectful, restrained manner, work through it, and move on. I will state my piece and be done with it. I just have to make my feelings known. That's me.

Your above statement reaks of arrogance and "big brother knows best." For you, X, Matt or any other staff member to think that you know what's best for your membership and that you will decide what the membership can "handle," is terribly misguided and way, way off base. As misguided as those posts that state that MGS cannot take ANY contributions(shaft companies, putter companies, etc) and remain removed & objective in your coverage of the industry. T, how do you feel when you read those posts? You have earned our respect through your words & more importantly, your actions. And I'm not talkin about The World's Biggest Golf Give-a-way or Member-of-The-Month prizes. Nice, yes, defining, absolutely not. Even as of a year ago, have we not earned yours?

I know that many of the "core" regulars have really come to the site in the past year, though I look at some of the "older" members and I would absolutely trust their opinions on product reviews. Please do not tell me that JMiller065, Rick, WD, Rookie, BK, Tuna, JBones, JohnBarry or myself(Please do not be offended if I left you off cuz there are at least double this)could not and would not give a thoroughly accurate & objective review. And not one of the names mentioned needs MGS or anyone else deciding what would "compromise" their values or judgement.

Again, I speak for none of the above members or anyone else and I do not care if I'm the only member who noticed this & was offended. Fortunately, when I need a "group" consensus, I just look in the mirror. The reason that I was attracted to this site is because the leadership & staff has the confidence to let the members "run" with the content. Sure, you set the structure up, yet you do not regulate the content from the members' side. Do you not think that if a member did a review that appeared in the slightest bit biased or non-objective, that would probably be the last review that that individual would ever WANT to do because of the responses of members like JMiller065, Rick, Rookie or myself. We are fully capable of regulating ourselves.

And I guess that I should feel good that you now feel that the members are "worthy"(or should I say trust worthy) or in your words, "you guys can handle it." I don't. Though in fairness, you live your third reason every day through your actions and that's why you, X, Matt and the others have the best site going.

Well, rant over. Again, I speak for noone but myself. You're still the best and ya know that I respect the hell out of EVERY one of you.

And would someone PLEASE buy the damn hybrid!

My Best,

Richard

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Richard,

I get where you're coming from, and I won't insult you by trying to explain my statement away, or suggest you somehow misunderstood. Instead, I'll explain it from the perspective of the reality that I (and I believe X) believe to be true.

I think you would agree that in the industry we cover, MyGolfSpy is unique. Yes, we do write about many of the same topics as our fellow independent, and even big media golf sites, but we also do it in a way that nobody else in our industry, and certainly nobody playing at our level (one of the 3 biggest golf sites not associated with a big media outlet) does. As I'm certain you're aware, this approach, our willingness to state an opinion (even negative ones that often have consequences) is what makes MyGolfSpy MyGolfSpy. It is the thing we must protect.

As you are also no doubt aware, we don't censor our readers. We very rarely take down a forum post, or delete a blog comment (and when we do we have very good reasons...not simply because we disagree). We don't guarantee positive reviews, and we don't protect our sponsors from negative publicity.

This approach has led a reasonably loyal following, a solid core of regular forum contributors (many of the guys you mentioned). That said, the strength of what we do remains the main website...the content the staff creates. Growing the forum is and has been a goal of ours, but we've also been extremely cautious about how we've done it. Our forum has always operated from a position of disadvantage. We started it much later than the other guys. That's provided them with a tremendous advantage, not necessarily in raw membership numbers, but certainly in what I'll call community building.

As our forum has grown, we've struggled to figure out how to transform it from a forum to a community. It's not an easy problem. We have to keep guys coming back, but not get to the point where it becomes a total free for all like it has in other places. Ostensibly, as I said, the forum belongs to you guys. Readers generate most of the content, create the discussions, and you guys right now are building the foundation that will support as we grow into that community I mentioned. That said, it remains our responsibility to foster growth and make sure things progress in the direction that's right for us.

So how do we do that? Small contests work. While not a smashing success, the Forum Member of the Month has been solid, and finally, regardless of how we want to word it, there's the free equipment grab (forum testing).

OEMs have been approaching us for the better part of 2 years to do "forum seeding". They'll supply the (free) equipment, and our readers write the reviews. As has been mentioned earlier, we tried this out of the gate, and a majority of readers took the gear and were never heard from again. Obviously that can't happen if we're going to work with the biggest names in golf.

When you look at what's happened elsewhere, not only are the majority of these forum reviews absolutely, undeniably positive, there's seldom even the slightest hint of criticism or even the suggestion that a given club might not be right for a particular golfer. It's all sunshine and unicorns...and that's definitely not MyGolfSpy. Beyond the subjective, and even on-course performance evaluations, things get said that are downright ridiculous. Things that absolutely cannot be argued from any reasonable basis are stated as fact. The guys that say these things aren't trying to mislead anyone, but there's a culture in this business that protects the sponsor, and avoids anything that might be interpreted as a negative - even if it's the thing that differentiates the product. We can't allow that to be us.

So before we agreed to start doing some forum seeding, we wanted to make sure we had the type of foundation in place. Guys who can give a solid, critical review. Guys who will praise a product when it's deserving, and point out shortcomings when warranted (JMiller's Black Ops review is a shining example of how this should be done). We want honesty and scrutiny above all else. We need to be certain we've built a culture that understands that nothing is all good, nothing is all bad, and hey...enjoy the free equipment, try to be objective, and understand that the opportunity to test more gear won't be tied to how happy you make our sponsors. Everyone will be judged on the quality (ability to follow the template, write well, take good pictures, and generate entertaining or at least interesting content for the rest of us).

It's not so simple. I'm sure you've seen it already. When we did the Tour Staff Contest, and when we posted this opportunity to test equipment...guys you've never heard of...some we've never heard of applied to be testers. That's great. That's where the growth will come from, but it also illustrates that this forum is, and needs to be more expansive...it can't be just you, and Jmiller, and RoverRick, and JBones, and JohnBarry, and Moecat, and RookieBlue (this list goes on and on- and that list will get bigger with every testing opportunity). It has to be open to anyone who wants to participate, and that's where the risk of ending up like everyone else is concerned (not all bad mind you, there are absolutely things I admire about some of the other forums).

All of what I said boils down to this. MyGolfSpy is X's baby. I've helped him grow it. As have Matt, Dave, and Tim. It remains our job to protect it. It's our job to make sure it stays true to our vision. This means we have to make sure that turning a part over to you guys doesn't jeopardize that.

I don't believe it's arrogant when I say you guys can handle it. It's pride. We're not big brother. We have something to protect (MyGolfSpy), and we're entrusting a part of it to all of you because you've shown us you understand and believe in what we do. You and the guys you listed...and hopefully the new members who are contributing regularly...you are the community builders, and you've led us to a place where we feel like we can safely take the next steps.

Well said by all.

AJ

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

Thanks Richard. I can't compete with some of the other guys on here but I try.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Please let me preface .......

I read this this morning and it has been in the back of my mind all day. But one thing left unsaid is that when TMag (we always use TMag as an example) wants to seed the forum (I just learned it was called) they do so with the intent to receive a review. They expect a possitive review, because they think they have a good product, but honest one. Chances are if they are wanting forum members opinion, it is because they really want an honest opinion. They can get all the fluff they want from the Hot List et al.

Whether it is possitive or negative is not MyGolfSpy's problem. But TMag does not know RoverRick from TravelingTerry. If stuff is sent to me it is on MyGolfSpy's recommendation. If I fail to give it any review, yeah it is my fault, but I do not answer to TMag. X answers to TMag. It causes him the embarrassment not me. Therefore, it is incumbent on me as a good forum member to A. not be biased for or against the product, and B. write the best review I possibly can.

Based on this I can understand X's reluctance to hop on board this program.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Throwing my name in the hat!

The current model and flex of your irons: Dynacraft Prophet Tour CNC Forged 5-PW

Your Handicap: 16-19, depending on how much I can play

Your Age: 31

Are you Left or Right Handed: Right Handed

Do you know your iron specs: +0.5" long, + 2* flat lie

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: I have a preference for Mizuno and Adams, mainly because of how they look. Mizunos are tops in the feel deparatment and Adams are not quite there, but their offerings are very solid and distinguished from the rest of the bunch.

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf: TM and Callaway. I find their clubs look far too busy and the TM forged clubs feel like cast clubs. I've never tried Callaways simply because I've never felt any pressing desire to do so.

Link to my review: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/7122-wdgolf-review-dynacraft-prophet-tour-irons/page__pid__73604

It is starting to get colder around here, but unless it's below 40 I'm still golfing, though I'll probably leave my woods at home when it's below 50. If chosen, I will rent an aboutGolf simulator along with driving range and on the course testing.

I realized we're only supposed to do one category, so here's a shortened version of my review:

Full review: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/7122-wdgolf-review-dynacraft-prophet-tour-irons/page__pid__73604

Link to the MGS review: http://www.mygolfspy.com/ultimate-review-dynacraft-prophet-tour-forged-irons/

Product Page: http://info.hirekogolf.com/dynacraft/prophet/prophet-tour-cnc-forged-irons/

Dynacraft Prophet Tour CNC Forged Irons

I've been gaming these irons since I built them in March 2011, but I think I may be the only forum member to play them so I thought they deserved a bit of additional attention. Most pictures were taken using my trusty Pentax K-X camera.

Shaft: Apollo Phantom S

Grip: Karma Jumbo White (+ 1/16")

Length: + 0.5"

Lie: Std (should be +2* flat)

Specs:

post-4409-067535700%201349661414.jpg

Did I mention my handicap is 19? Yeah, it's still there, which has pissed me off for some time, but my swing has gotten a helluva lot better. The 19 is more due to the amount of time I can play rather than anything else, given a week of straight golfing, I shoot in the low to mid 80s, two weeks off and I'm back in the mid 90s. I really hate this sport sometimes :D.

How I tested

Performance wise it's very difficult to compare different irons when they're hit on the sweet spot, so rather than focus on distance or accuracy which can be highly skewed day by day due to the golfer swinging the club (me), I wanted to focus on forgiveness. To do so, I went to the driving range with a dry erase marker. After warm up, I drew a line on the ball so I could know exactly where on the club face I was making contact to determine the sweet spot and what happens when the sweet spot is missed.

Here are images illustrating three shots, one close the the heel, one smack on the sweet spot (go me), and one on the toe. I swear I was intentionally missing the sweet spot on the misses :).

post-4409-012300500%201349661666.jpg post-4409-090306300%201349661659.jpg post-4409-083111700%201349661653.jpg

Yep, those are my size 13 feet wearing awesome Ecco street golf shoes.

Performance

Here's where I spent the most time. As I've said I've played these irons for two seasons. While the bug keeps biting at me to buy something new a shiny, I've always come back to my trusty Dynacrafts, thought the wear is starting to show on them.

As mentioned before, my focus was mainly on forgiveness, though I will go into a bit of ball flight. Here is a diagram of where I've decided the sweet spot was, based on ball flight, feel, distance traveled, and the mark left by the dry erase ink. Given a launch monitor I'm sure I could have been more scientific, but that wasn't available to me for these tests.

post-4409-069190600%201349664140.jpg

As I think I said, these are player's CB irons. The green circle is for those prefect shots. The yellow circle is where the forgiveness of the iron is helping you only lose a few yards. Quickly jumping back to feel, anything outside the green is noticable. Hit it outside of the yellow circle and you get a harsh impact and you're going to loose at least 10 yards on your shot, which was probably over water, or supposed to be over water.

With my current setup I hit the ball very very high. I also have very little trouble curving the ball, which I'm starting to think may not be in my best interest because my bad misses tend to be massive hooks. I won't pretend to know how much this has to do with the shaft, though I'm sure it plays a big factor. I've been fit for KBS Tour S using MP59 irons, which is a much lower launch shaft and about 30g heavier than the Apollo Phantoms. With that combo I seemed much more accurate and gained about 10 yards. Point is, while these heads are fantastic, if you get them, make sure you get the correct shaft.

In the hands of a very skilled player who knows how to work the ball, I can see these being deadly.

At $30 a clubhead or $45 base price assembled, these things are a fantastic price. Technology of irons boils down to a few things: feel, forgiveness, and aesthetics. These clubs may not be the best looking of the lot, but they hold their own very well compared to other player's cavity back models out there in terms of forgiveness. In the feel category these things are hard to beat.

post-4409-011082400%201349661648.jpg

(more images in the full review)

I guess I should open the door, sit down and try to explain myself. At no point in time did I intend to sound anything but sarcastic and doubtful. I didn't post the original comment to be derogatory to the Tour Staff contest winners, the owners of the forum or any of the "core" or new members. So if an apology is necessary, then so be it, I apologize.

The 10 winners of round one were with-out a doubt deserving to move on to round two, where the contest did in fact become a "popularity" contest. I don't see how that fact can be denied. But, not an issue, after all it was explained in the rules and everyone, myself included understood that. After all the initial Facebook bitching subsided, the voting proceeded, votes were tallied, and winners(including randomly chosen 3rd place)were announced. So ended what was without a doubt probably one of, if not the best, equipment give aways since these forums became popular. My only question here is, can anyone, again myself included remember what the 2 best ideas/suggestions were? Probably not! Again, not an issue because after all, everyone was most concerned with getting the most votes. Am I wrong in thinking that?

As far as the equipment testing. What a great opportunity for a couple of members and I hope as do all of you that the opportunity is given to some one deserving of that and one who understands the responsibilities it involves. I never intended to throw my name in the hat mainly because I don't have the time, but I also understood the fact that I haven't been an active member here. I surely didn't expect to "waltz in" and be given a set of irons, as one response mentioned. The reasons for my not being that active are that I am a 1000+ post member of another forum and also a Brand Ambassador for Black Widow Golf, which entails blogging once a month on the blog. My internet time is already spread thin.

And I don't want to get involved in a discussion about which forum is better. Who cares!! Quite frankly the main reason I spend so much time at the other one is simply because I went there first. That's it plain and truthful. And there are enough golfers out there to keep plenty of forums up and running. So finding one you're comfortable with isn't an issue. I've made friends there as I'm sure many of you have done here!!

So please, to all the Spy Staff, I never meant to question your integrity in regards to this forum or the contest/review opportunties, if indeed it came off that way, again I apologize. To the winners of the contest, you are indeed deserving, enjoy your winnings. In no way, shape, or form do I begrudge you or doubt YOUR integrity. To the rest of the "core" members and the less active members I hope you continue to enjoy the game of golf and this web-site!!

Thanks for listening

BR

• SPY VIP

Appreciate the comment...and trust me no feelings hurt here that is for sure.

I look at it like this...are people going to disagree with some of the things we do here and how they are done? Of course. We have close to 300,000 monthly readers so the chance of some opposing what we do is inevitable.

But I just want you and everyone else to know that while you might disagree with how I run MyGolfSpy, I doubt you would if you saw how we came to the decisions we make behind the scenes. You guys come first for me and that will always be the case. I hope that fact is shown in my actions with what I do and say over the past 4-5 years running this site. And I am sure if you were to ask the others spies and the other golf company reps we work with that they would agree. I am all about this site being about the consumer.

Although, that being said, I also try and put the interest of MyGolfSpy in the mix as well. So I try and make every situation here as much of a WIN-WIN as possible. Meaning: keeping the content, info provided, opportunities offered to our readers first and foremost and also trying to at the same time spread the word about what we are doing. We don't have an advertising budget like other mags and golf media outlets...actually we have $0 ad budget. This means it has to be done creatively...and sometimes this means that contests like the Facebook one is needed to both provide a cool opportunity for the readers and also coming up with the best way to get our name out there to golfers who might have never heard of us before.

I guess I should open the door, sit down and try to explain myself. At no point in time did I intend to sound anything but sarcastic and doubtful. I didn't post the original comment to be derogatory to the Tour Staff contest winners, the owners of the forum or any of the "core" or new members. So if an apology is necessary, then so be it, I apologize.

The 10 winners of round one were with-out a doubt deserving to move on to round two, where the contest did in fact become a "popularity" contest. I don't see how that fact can be denied. But, not an issue, after all it was explained in the rules and everyone, myself included understood that. After all the initial Facebook bitching subsided, the voting proceeded, votes were tallied, and winners(including randomly chosen 3rd place)were announced. So ended what was without a doubt probably one of, if not the best, equipment give aways since these forums became popular. My only question here is, can anyone, again myself included remember what the 2 best ideas/suggestions were? Probably not! Again, not an issue because after all, everyone was most concerned with getting the most votes. Am I wrong in thinking that?

As far as the equipment testing. What a great opportunity for a couple of members and I hope as do all of you that the opportunity is given to some one deserving of that and one who understands the responsibilities it involves. I never intended to throw my name in the hat mainly because I don't have the time, but I also understood the fact that I haven't been an active member here. I surely didn't expect to "waltz in" and be given a set of irons, as one response mentioned. The reasons for my not being that active are that I am a 1000+ post member of another forum and also a Brand Ambassador for Black Widow Golf, which entails blogging once a month on the blog. My internet time is already spread thin.

And I don't want to get involved in a discussion about which forum is better. Who cares!! Quite frankly the main reason I spend so much time at the other one is simply because I went there first. That's it plain and truthful. And there are enough golfers out there to keep plenty of forums up and running. So finding one you're comfortable with isn't an issue. I've made friends there as I'm sure many of you have done here!!

So please, to all the Spy Staff, I never meant to question your integrity in regards to this forum or the contest/review opportunties, if indeed it came off that way, again I apologize. To the winners of the contest, you are indeed deserving, enjoy your winnings. In no way, shape, or form do I begrudge you or doubt YOUR integrity. To the rest of the "core" members and the less active members I hope you continue to enjoy the game of golf and this web-site!!

Thanks for listening

BR

#TruthDigest

Off topic, but worth saying (again)

Just to add to Richard's point. The total lack of censorship on these forums is why I stick around here and hardly ever look at the other sites. Last thing I want are BS reviews that cater to the manufacturer rather than the reader. The recent "High Tech Swing Trainers Shootout" is a perfect example of a great review. Not only was it honest and had full coverage, but all three manufacturers being reviewed didn't hide from the results and instead are working to improve their products, which is just awesome and the whole point of the reviews IMO. Can't say I've ever seen that on other sites.

The big OEMs (*cough* Cleveland) should learn from this review on how to actually win customers. Awesome work MGS!

http://www.mygolfspy.com/golfsense-swing-byte-smart-review

To Enter provide the following information (in this thread):

The current model and flex of your irons: Mizuno MP68 DG x100

Your Handicap:2.4

Your Age:45

Are you Left or Right Handed:Left Handed

Do you know your iron specs:2* upright Standard length

AND Do the Following:

1.Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: Mizuno, Titleist/ Taylormade (tie)

2.Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golfNo comment, all depends on what you like.

3.Upload an original photograph of a piece of golf equipment in your bag right nowCobra ZLE Head.JPG

4.Using one of our ULTIMATE Reviews as a template, write 1-3 paragraphs describing ONE of the following aspects (your choice) of the club that appears in your photo:

•SOUND AND FEEL

I have chosen to write about the sound and feel of the Cobra ZLE. I have owned Cobra drivers, King Cobra SS 427, in the past and the sound has always been loud and very tinny. This one is very different.

I find the ZLE to be muted, almost too muted, and giving a powerful thud upon impact. The ball comes off the face very hot and you will definitely feel the impact. I will say on well struck you balls you know it immediately and get that rush of a drive crushed down the fairway. Being a feel player, I do notice that I can "feel" this head through impact and that is why it stays in my bag. The ZLE is also a very easy driver to control and shape shots with. Itend to play a fade and have found I do not have to manuever too much to get the desired shot I want off the tee. This gives me a great confidence in this club.

The ZLE is a great improvement over the Cobra drivers I have played in the past. I would highly recommend the ZLE as a driver that you can feel, control and bomb drives with.

My rating scale 89.5

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.0*/Accra Tour Zx475 75 x stiff
Fairway: Titleist TSi2 13.5*/Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 85 x stiff
Hybrid/ Driving Iron: Titleist U505 3 iron 20*/ Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff
Irons: Cobra Forged Tec 4-PW/ KBS C Taper stiff hard stepped once
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50*F/ KBS C Taper x stiff
Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200
Wedges: Vokey Hand Ground 58*T/ TT DG Tour s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"
Ball: Titleist Pro Pro V1

I just read the High Tech Swing Trainer Shootout over on the other side, and I must say that the Staff has once again set the standards for a review pretty high. It was full of useful and honest opinions both good and bad absent the fluff other sites. Great job again, this time it was Matt.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I just read the High Tech Swing Trainer Shootout over on the other side, and I must say that the Staff has once again set the standards for a review pretty high. It was full of useful and honest opinions both good and bad absent the fluff other sites. Great job again, this time it was Matt.

Thank you, Rick, it really means a lot. While my name is on it, it would be incorrect to say it was "my" work. Dave and Tim tested the devices also and provided a lot of really useful input. The chart idea was all X (if I had done it my way, it would have been a 20,000 word thesis). This is a team effort, always.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

That was a fantastic review. I'd really like to see a follow up in a bit after those guys make their product improvements. It was really cool to see all 3 in on the discussion and taking your criticism to heart. I imagine all 3 products will be greatly improved in the upcoming months. Kudos to MGS if that comes to fruition.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Archived