Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

OFFICIAL MyGolfSpy Club Testing - TaylorMade RocketBladez

Tony Covey MGS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this or something close to it was my 100+ word idea for the big contest wasn't it?!

Sick as a dog at the moment, I'll post my application when I can think.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya I would be into testing some gear. I may not meet the particip[ation levels though. We are able to play year round usually as well. Never looked for a launch monitor so couldn't tell you if I could get one.

Mizuno mp58 3-7

Mizuno mp68 8-Pw

with KBS tour stiff shafts

Mizuno t-11 wedges 54&60* w spinner shafts

all with Black Widow widow maker grips

currently 7.1 hcp

40 yrs

right handed and irons are all 2* up

while I have no idea how many if any post belong to me, you were the first I contacted when my brand new r11 blew up in my hands and you have the pictures to prove it. I have always enjoyed your site but do miss the controversial side although I understand how you pay the bills as well. good luck with how ever gets the gig, it would be a blast.

cheers Chris

Victoria BC

Very nice opportunity for 3 very lucky golfers. Always something exciting happening here for sure.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

This sounds fun, I'll give this a shot...

I'm currently playing Miura Small Blade irons with KBS 6.2 C-Taper shafts.

My handicap is a +0.5.

I am 50 years old and I'm right handed.

My loft and length are standard and the lie angle is 1 deg. upright.

The two companies making the best irons right now are Miura and Mizuno.

The two companies making the worst irons are Cleveland and Cobra. Cleveland for their unimaginative design and their horrific customer service. Cobra used to be a favorite. They made solid irons and the price point was very good. Now, everything that they release is orange it seems to appease Rickie Fowler. I must be getting old.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3399252379482&set=pb.1214947530.-2207520000.1349121299&type=1&src=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ash4%2F412121_3399252379482_1620862683_o.jpg&smallsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ash4%2F294903_3399252379482_1620862683_n.jpg&size=2048%2C1365

Miura Small Blades Sound and Feel

I feel I should start this review with a disclaimer. Hit these irons at your own financial risk! The second I hit one flush with these beauties I was sold. These Miura's are the crack cocaine of the golf industry.

Now that you've been warned, it is a little difficult to describe the feel of the Miura's because when you catch them right you feel...nothing. Let me tell you, the last time I had this feeling was almost 30 years ago hitting a Titleist Tour Balata 90 with Wilson Staff blades, and I was hitting the Miura's with crappy limited flight range balls. I know a lot of people will say they get a similar feeling with their irons, and prior to getting the Small Blades I would have been right there with you. My previous set were Mizuno MP-60's and I thought the feel on those was unparalleled, but even when I hit the MP-60's flush, I always felt a slight click in my hands. That click is gone in the Miura's.

The sound of these irons is a better way to tell true contact. Flush shots respond with a very satisfying dull thud similar to a well struck bunker shot.

Slight misses and thinned shots have a little click and a slight vibration,no big deal. However, big misses let you, and everyone in your vicinity, know that that wasn't your best swing. In fact, it's the worst clanking sound I've ever heard from an iron. One miss caused the guy hitting range balls in the next stall to even flinch once. He told me it sounded like I broke the iron and he was ducking to avoid the "shrapnel".

A huge thanks goes out to MGS and the unnamed OEM for bringing this amazing opportunity to us! I think I speak for the forum in saying how much we appreciate it.

My current irons are Ben Hogan Apex Edge with the regular flex Apex 3 shafts (I need stiffer shafts).

My handicap hovers between 10-15.

I am 16 years old.

I am right handed.

Yes. Standard loft, standard length, 1 degree upright. Length would probably be increased if I were fit today, these specs are from my last adjustment in May.

I believe all companies put out quality clubs and the "best: and "worst" are simply personal based on feel and attitude towards that brand. Two stand out to me as the "best:" Mizuno and Titleist. I have not gotten along well with Nike and Taylormade irons. If you really want to know the "worst," walk into Wal-Mart and check out the $100 Top Flite starter set :)

I recently added the Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 tour issue putter to my bag:

5Ia5N45Jc3E13Ke3M8c9p591e4982ccd41bcc.jpg

Looks:

This is a sharp looking putter. The black carbon finish is one that fits my eye and gives me the confidence I need to roll the ball in the cup. At address, it looks like a typical mid-mallet. The head shape is similar to #9 style Odyssey heads, but with the neck being very small and not right at the heel. There is very little offset. The cavity on the back has BETTINARDI engraved and the sole has MIZUNO BC3 engraved with the honeycomb B logo at the toe. The engravings make a pop and let you know the putter without being obnoxious. The milled face is the true beauty of this flatstick. The area in the center where the ball is struck has Mizuno's FitFace for optimum roll. Without getting into too much performance detail, it's a putter with the roll of an insert and the feel of a milled face. Around the FitFace is Bettinardi's signature honeycomb milling that makes any other putter want to hide in a corner - it looks that mean. Topped off with the Mizuno logo in the corner, it is one of the best looking putters you can roll.

MGS Looks Score: 19/20

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

The current model and flex of your irons: Callaway X-Tour & X-Forged 2009; 6.0 PX-Flighted

Your Handicap: 10.4

Your Age: 35

Are you Left or Right Handed: Right

Do you know your iron specs: 1* Upright, 48* PW, 6.0 (Stiff Hardstepped 1X)

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: Callaway (Forged) - Mizuno

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf: It's difficult to find a company producing something that would fit this category today. If I had to pick, Callaway (cast) Taylor Made (Cast)

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/6781-miura-golf-km-007/page__p__68379__fromsearch__1#entry68379

***SEE ATTACHED***

IHS-991.pdf

Posted Image

The current model and flex of your irons: Mizuno MP62 with KBS C-Taper S

Your Handicap: 3

Your Age: 48

Are you Left or Right Handed:Right handed

Do you know your iron specs: Standard

AND Do the Following:

• Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf easy Mizuno and Titleist
  • Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf Tiger Shark and Yonex I guess.

R11 F.JPG

Performance:

This came in the mail on Saturday during the rainy weekend so I took it to the course today and tested it out. My test method was pretty straight forward. I putt his 3 Wood in the bag and went out on the course. I had decided that I would use this off the tee when possible and I off the deck when possible while playing a regular round of golf. I would compare where Iended up to where I normally was with my short shafted keep it in the fairway driver.

I originally thought about keeping track of the distances, and actually did, but we had 1 ½”of rain over the weekend and today there was a slight breeze of 19 mph. I had drives of 180 yards with no roll and drives with 260 yards with no roll. I had similar results off the deck. I will say this, even riding in a golf cart at full speed with the wind, you could still feel the wind on the back of your neck. On one hole that I normally use 6 iron/6iron, I used 2 iron/4 iron and was short. I hit one tee shot that normally would have been at the 100 yard marker but was shocked when I got to the top of the hill and saw that I was 180 from the hole.

I would say that all things considered I was not significantly different that where I would normally be distance wise with any tee shot. I will also say that I hit 14 of 14 fairways today. This club was 7 of 7. I know for a fact that last week I played in a similar wind and on the 10 hole, straight into the wind, I was 15 yards behind where I was last week, but I also had some roll last week. I also used this club 5 times off the deck and ended up with 2 birdies and 3 pars. I was particularly impressed with the turf interaction of the sole. This has been my biggest complaint about fairway metals. Many have a flat sole and the slightest miss hit causes it to skip off the ground and top the ball resulting in an 80 yard putt when I want a 200 + yard bomb. Overall, I shot a 74 on a soggy windy course which makes me very happy. This club earned a place in my bag and I can easily see using it 10 times per round.

Also, many of the more modern FM I have tried have game improvement features that really get the ball up in the air and keep you from slicing the ball. The features do not work well with my swing, so I often have the high pop up to deep left field with them. The R11 is adjustable so by varying the set up you can add those or in my case take them away. In my case I have taken them out of the club and am really happy with the ball flight from this club. You really adjust the club like they say, I am not sure you can effect the ball flight to the degree they claim and have no way to really know that but can certainly make minor adjustments that affect the ball flight so that when you make a good swing the ball flight is the way you want it.

See below for full review.

http://forum.mygolfs...fairway-review/

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Great idea for a community event! Lots of great minds here and this should make for some pretty interesting reading.

Here's my two cents:

Current irons: Mizuno MP-59 with PX 5.5 shafts (WITB link here)

Handicap: 11

RH

Iron specs:

barbajo specs1.jpg

Sample photo - Coutour putter:

putter.jpg

Best irons: Did extensive testing this spring – favorites were Mizuno and Wilson

Worst irons: Don't think they're junk, but least favorites were Taylormade and Cleveland

Mizuno MP-59 Sound & Feel:Click.doc

Even thought I'm in Minnesota - there are a couple of indoor practice facilities nearby and my pro does his indoor fittings at one of them, so I have access to their monitors.

Thanks for putting this together guys - really appreciate all you do for us!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Best Irons - Mizuno / Miura

Worst Irons - Cobra / Cleveland

Irons – MP-59 3-PW

Shafts – KBS Tour Stiff

Handicap – 33

Age – 49

RH

Specs – Standard Length / Lie / Loft

Mizuno Spec Sheet Below

ULTIMATE REVIEW MIZUNO MP-59 IRONS

Whether you love them or hate them (or possibly somewhere in between), there is no denying that Mizuno make some of the best irons available and with their in-house forging facility you can be certain that consistency in the product is part of the philosophy at Mizuno.

So here is my unashamed and blatant pitch for MGS stardom or at least 0.02 milliseconds of notoriety.

SUBJECTIVE SCORING

LOOKS

The MP-59 is not black and it is not a blade (sorry T) but for my money they would be one of the prettiest looking irons on the market today. The combination of the outstanding polished finish and the titanium insert adds to the appeal and aesthetic looks of the club.

Matched nicely with the KBS Tour shafts and Multi Compound Blue & White grips, they attract attention whether poking provocatively out the top of the Mizuno bag or in my hand ready for action.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Looks Score: 99.5

Feel

There are no surprises here, the MP59's provide excellent feel and centre hits are smooth and silky. Feedback between a good and a great strike is instantly heard and felt with the latter creating a low resonant soft sound and literally no perceivable contact with the ball felt in the hands. Like hitting a squash ball with a cricket bat.

My miss is usually a slightly fat shot (high on the face but still centred) that creates a sound which is a dull pitched click and contact with the ball feels more solid in the hands.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Feel Score: 98.00

Perceived (Actual) Distance

I moved to the MP-59's from the T-Zoids in June this year and my first thoughts were that there was not much of a distance change. Although I have to say that gaining distance was not the reason for purchasing the 59's. So for the purpose of this review I have previously been to the range to do a side by side comparison of the 3, 5, 7 & 9 irons from both sets. Wow was I wrong.

What I had not taken into account was the lower trajectory of the 59's and with the lower CG, the 59's are an average of 30 yards longer than the T-Zoids on each club selected. Even my miss hits with the 59's were longer.

So to rate as per the category of “Perceived Distance”, I have rated a little lower than if I was rating for “Actual Distance”.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Perceived Distance Score: 89.00

Perceived Accuracy

OK, so no mistakes with this one. I did not have to do a side by side with the T-Zoids for me to know that my perception of the accuracy gained was in fact a reality. The 59's sends the ball exactly where your swing tells it to go. Align the face to the target, your shoulders to where you want the ball to start and bingo you get a fade or a draw every time.

The most noticeable difference is that a miss hit for me with the 59's only yields a minimal change in the accuracy.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Perceived Accuracy Score: 99.00

Perceived Forgiveness

When I started looking for a new set of irons I noticed the Mizuno marketing spiel that says the titanium insert is responsible for the forgiveness exhibited by the 59's which is forged into the head to give it a solid carbon steel feel with weighting moved to the heel and toe.

So from there I went and tried one at the local retailer and found that the forgiveness characteristics of this club suited me very well. Shots hit a little fat (my miss) as well as towards the heel or toe suffer little if not any discernible detriment in distance or direction. Thin shots, even just a little suffer badly in loss of distance.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Perceived Forgiveness Score: 92.00

Likelihood of Purchase

No brainer here. I already did. Would I buy them again if I knew what I know now - ABSOLUTELY?

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Likelihood of Purchase Score: 100.00

Conclusion

Are the Mizuno MP-59's for everyone, not if you only like black blades or your miss is a thin hit? They definitely suit my swing and the in-built forgiveness plays to my miss hit.

I have seen a large improvement in both my game and confidence with shot selection (don't let my handicap fool you). Great feel and feedback, with good reward for your shots.

AJ

P.S. Sorry no pictures as I am away at the moment. But if you have not already check out www.ajphoto.com.au

P.P.S. I will be home this Friday, so photos will be uploaded then.

Specs.png

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

You got my +1 Rev, great post - and congratulations again. You've got to be in to win, right?

Got to be in to win, Amen to that one. It seems to me that this one is more like a job application - you put your best foot forward and hope you're what they're looking for.

I already see a couple of great candidates here. I'm sure there will be lots more. This will be a tough decision for the crew to make. I hope its the start of widening the field to include lots of people here so whoever gets this best not screw it up for the others to follow.

Thanks for the kind words Aoteroabrad

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I really appreciate what My Golf Spy is doing here but after careful consideration I'm going to pass on submitting anything this go round. I just accepted a gig as Spiritual Counselor for the deaconesses of our church body and that is going to require additional writing on my part. Plus there is the test that Golfmasters has so gracioulsy invited me to participate in - those two items will keep me busy enough.

Thanks for the invite and please consider me again in the future as other opportunities open up.

Good luck to everyone who submits an entry - I see several strong possibilities here already.

RevKev

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The current model and flex of your irons: Swing Science S800 Forged, XS shafts

Your Handicap: 3-9 (yeah, it varies that much)

Your Age: 32

Are you Left or Right Handed: Right Handed

Do you know your iron specs: Standard length, lie 2* flat, loft adjusted around a 45* PW.

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: Ping and Adams

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf: Tmag (RBZ specifically) and Nike (Anything besides the VR Pro)

SwitchBelt.JPG

(Please don't judge by this photo, my camera is in the shop getting the flash repaired and this was taken with my iPhone)

LOOKS

As you could probably guess this photo was taken Friday, at the start of the Ryder Cup, when I was feeling a little extra patriotic. These belts are not the "classiest" looking belts as they are plastic, but they are the most versatile you'll find. The buckles are interchangeable and offer a plethora of vibrant color combinations, 196 combinations to be exact. If you love bright colors, you'll love these belts.

SOUND AND FEEL

Sound is where these belts excel. They give off a nice loud "crack" when being used like a whip, unlike the soft "pop" of a leather belt; the sound makes children three blocks away cringe. (**DISCLAIMER**-I'm in no way suggesting this belt be used for any violent purposes, just for intimidation.). As I have stated, these belts are made of plastic, so they are very flexible, making them perfect for golf. In case you like to stroke your belts, they have a velvety feel, opposed to a plastic feel.

PERFORMANCE

These are the most comfortable and versatile belts I have ever owned (I have 8 belts and 11 buckles). Being that they are plastic, they are flexible, so they aren't tight when you move around or eat too much. They are dishwasher safe, making cleaning them very easy. Before purchasing my first SwitchBelt (the white one), I had been through three white leather belts in two seasons; I wear one of my SwitchBelts every day and they all still look just as new as the day I opened them. Last, but not least, they are excellent at keeping your pants from falling down.

• SPY VIP

After checking in with the golf company who will be providing product for this review, we've decided to eliminate the age restriction.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I wish i was eligible, but living in South Africa, kind of DQ's me.

Good luck to everyone participating, and looking forward to reading your reviews!

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

• SPY VIP

I just realized that it says "pick one of the three and write 1-3 paragraphs". Am I disqualified for using all three? If so, I will change it, but I love the pictured product so much, I wanted to do another mini review.

No...not DQ'd. No penalty. We just want to make sure that the guys who toss in their hat can actually tie a few sentences together.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

T, does linking my reviews work or do I need to write a new one in this thread?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

T, does linking my reviews work or do I need to write a new one in this thread?

You're good withe the Bi-Matrix review.

Thanks for the opportunity. I am in Florida and can test multiple times/week. I should also have access to a launch monitor at Edwin Watts.

To Enter provide the following information (in this thread):

The current model and flex of your irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2, Stiff Flex KBS Tour shafts

Your Handicap: 8

Your Age: 40

Are you Left or Right Handed: RH

Do you know your iron specs: Standard length, with 1* up on the 5 - 8 iron

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf - Mizuno and Adams

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf - Tour Edge and Cleveland

Upload an original photograph of a piece of golf equipment in your bag right now

8048098726_cc824d3d03_c.jpg

Using one of our ULTIMATE Reviews as a template, write 1-3 paragraphs describing ONE of the following aspects (your choice) of the club that appears in your photo:

LOOKS

SOUND AND FEEL

PERFORMANCE

To set context, I replaced a set of standard Taylor Made R9 with KBS 90 Stiff shafts.

I was a little nervous taking these to the course because I figured my 8 handicap game was not good enough for these irons. I was wrong. While I have lost about 1 club in distance (which I believe is more due to the lighter shaft's compared to the ones in the R9's), I am hitting more GIRs because the distance is more predictable. I know my 9 iron is going to go 135 yards, not anywhere from 130 – 145. My increased confidence has allowed me to attack pins and I have been leaving myself more birdie chances at closer range than with the R9's.

The narrow and slightly beveled/rounded sole is also good for my game. I find it versatile and forgiving – slightly fat shots don't get punished as much as expected. Granted, you will end up short of the green when hitting fat, but the club won't dig and totally lay the sod over the ball. I have hit much better 5 and 6 irons than I did with the R9's, and much of this I attribute to the sole design. The sole is a benefit for chips and short pitches around the green. I'm able to nip the ball cleanly. The subsequent roll-out is much more predictable as well - there are no "thin faced hot spots" to worry about.

I want to point out that I had assumed a club like this (cavity back blade) would hit low shots. I find I hit these just the same height, if not a little higher, than the R9's. They are not ballooning, but high and soft landing. I demo'd these with multiple shafts (DG S300, Nippon, KBS C-taper, Project X 6.0) and in all cases I saw similar trajectories.

I am able to work the ball both ways when needed, and most definitely can hit low punch shots. This has proven to really be helpful since it has been windy lately here in Florida.

Hits of the toe do lose distance, around a club's worth. The R9's did not lose as much distance on toe hits, so this is something to consider if this is a main miss for you. The good news is that the ball seems to hold its line quite well on these toe hits.

I did notice that off a tee, if teed too high you can lose distance if the ball is hit high off the face. I'm speculating this is due to the weighting of the club. I've taken to teeing the ball down with just say a 1/16th of an inch or so of the ball above the grass, and haven't experienced any “pop-ups” since I started doing this.

My main miss with these irons has been aiming right for a draw, and over cooking it. I had to do this with the R9's due to their wanting to hit straight no matter what, and I am learning to shape this shot with a less severe move through the ball.

The Wilson FG Tour V2 irons are a pleasure to hit, and a club that you should consider demoing if you are in the market for a new set of irons.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Can someone instruct me how to post a picture?

Scratch that - figured it out!

Thanks!

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Can someone instruct me how to post a picture?

Scratch that - figured it out!

Thanks!

I see you figured it out but I'll post anyway for those who don't know. First, take the picture obviously. Then, you need to host it online on a publicly accessible place. This can be done by either manually connecting your camera to your computer and uploading it to the computer or by doing it straight from a smartphone. Facebook doesn't work cause then only your friends can see the picture. I use Photobucket because it's the easiest to use IMO. Once you have it uploaded to your album in PB, click on the picture there, then right click and hit "copy link location" to copy the specific URL of that photo, then come into MGS, hit insert photo, and paste that link there and you should be good to go. Seems tough but it's quite easy.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

• SPY VIP

Or you can just click the "Click To Attach Files" when you are in the posting window (where I am typing this now) and pick one from your computer.

I see you figured it out but I'll post anyway for those who don't know. First, take the picture obviously. Then, you need to host it online on a publicly accessible place. This can be done by either manually connecting your camera to your computer and uploading it to the computer or by doing it straight from a smartphone. Facebook doesn't work cause then only your friends can see the picture. I use Photobucket because it's the easiest to use IMO. Once you have it uploaded to your album in PB, click on the picture there, then right click and hit "copy link location" to copy the specific URL of that photo, then come into MGS, hit insert photo, and paste that link there and you should be good to go. Seems tough but it's quite easy.

#TruthDigest

If I can do it anyone can, post a picture that is. Thanks RR really appreciated the how to on that one during the contest. B)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you attach the picture to the post it doesn't show up right in the post, you have to click the attachment?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

• SPY VIP

The current model and flex of your irons: Nickent 4DX Pro - Nippon NS Pro 1180GH stiff

Your Handicap: 10

Your Age: 39

Do you know your iron specs: all Standard

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: Miura and Mizuno

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf: TaylorMade and Cleveland

1980's TaylorMade TPA restoration:

tpa_new_front_hc.jpg

SOUND AND FEEL

This is the putter I grew up with that still reminds me how to feel the ball rolling off the face. A cast putter that lets you know you've made contact and how far from the sweet spot you are. It's not like you're hitting a brick, but it's far from the mini goose down pillow that Odyssey somehow managed to cram into my CS2. Get this puppy to far to the heel or the toe and you'll know instantly you're not strokin her straight. But get it on the sweet spot and it's firm goodness shines through. This is one putter I've always described as solid and smooth in the same breath.

Much like with a Maxfli balata in the early 90's, pairing the TPA with my current ball a Wilson Staff FG Tour produces a pleasant less than “clicky” tone. It's a clean and non-offensive sound that immediately makes you think, “Man I stroked that one well”.

I would also like to submit the travel write up I did to further display my writing and photography skills.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/6901-kelowna-bc-golf-experience/

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Here's my entry. Thanks much for inviting me to apply.

The current model and flex of your irons: Mizuno MP-53 5-PW with Project X 4.5 graphite shafts

Your Handicap: 15.8

Your Age: 61

Do you know your iron specs:

Club Loft ° Lie ° Offset "Bounce °Length "

5 27 60.5 0.134 2 37.75

6 30 61 0.13 2 37.25

7 34 61.5 0.126 3 36.75

8 38 62 0.126 3 36.25

9 42 62.5 0.114 4 35.75

PW 46 63 0.102 5 35.5

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf

1 Mizuno

2 Titleist

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf

1 Nike

2 Lynx

Upload an original photograph of a piece of golf equipment in your bag right now

ULTIMATE USER REVIEW

Looks – From the moment I set my eyes on these babies, I knew we would be traveling together for a long time….Realistically, I first saw these in the used clubs rack at Golfsmith. They wanted $400. When I pulled the 6 iron out, I immediately noticed the Blue PX graphite shaft which drew me to it like a magnet. There were a few nicks from bag clatter and the 8 iron had a ding on the sole from a rock, but overall, they were in excellent shape.

Feel - I had tested Mizuno irons previously(JPX800's) and found that the PX graphite shaft had a much better feel to it than the stock graphite shaft. On a scale of 1 to 5 (poor – excellent) I rated the stock graphite shafts a 2 and the PX graphite shafts a 4. I hit the used MP-53 6 iron, the ball flight on the simulator was absolutely straight as compared to several other 6 irons I pulled out to hit.

Performance – Since these were used irons, I asked if I could try them out for the weekend and return them if I decided they were not for me. We made a deal $100 + my used Cally X-24 Hots. The Manager said that since I was a regular customer and it was Friday evening, I could return them on Monday if I decided against them. They would hold my trade in (Cally X24 Hots) for me. On Saturday, I shot in the low 80's in my weekly game, with much of my success coming from the approach shots. I was nailing the 7, 8 & 9 irons onto the green and knew that these would not be going back to the store. By month's end, I had won over $500 using these babies.

OVERALL – These used MP-53's are a definite 8.5/10.0 on the used club market. There is plenty of action left in these beauties!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I am honored to be a part of this.. I will be writing a review very soon. I just got a new set of irons that I will be doing a review on. Please just let me knwo what else I can do..

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I'll keep my eye on this one. I'm just starting to be able to control working the ball and don't really feel confident that I could do justice to a review of a set of Irons. I presently have a 15.8 GHIN and play Mizuno JPX 800 Pros with R300 DG shafts. Maybe I'll get my mental game such I can make some worthwhile contributions in the near future.

Heading to the Palm Springs, Ca area in about 2 weeks for the winter, so won't be a problem with winter play (like there would be in the Hoodsport, Wa. area.

Look forward to the anticipated reviews and possibly getting involved later.

Thanks for the invite,Jeff

Thanks! I was using Snapfish and Flickr. I kept copying/pasting the link as you describe, but the type of link was incorrect. Seems like Snapfish will not provide the correct link, but Flickr I was able to find it.

• SPY VIP

Far and away the easiest way to attach photos is as X said.

Make sure you're using the full editor (if you don't have an attachments section under the input field, be sure to click the "USE FULL EDITOR" button.

Hit click to attach files to attach your pics. You can upload up to 10 files at a time (an extremely painful limitation during PGA Show week).

You can use "insert into post" to place the image in a specific spot within the review (Official forum testers will need to do it this way since we have some fairly specific layout requirements).

If you're simply uploading a bunch of pics, you don't have to use the insert functionality. Anything not specifically inserted gets automatically appended to the end of your post.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Archived