OFFICIAL MyGolfSpy Club Testing - TaylorMade RocketBladez

Tony Covey MGS

We don't have any hard number. We kicked around some ideas for a minimum restriction, but we've got so many relatively new members that have been extremely active since they joined. We didn't want to be any more exclusionary than is necessary.

My ? was probably more in regards to contributing rather than post count...but thank you for the reply. I'll get about throwing my hat into the ring as well, seeing as I was one of the one's saying you need more 41yo, fat, useless, high handicap golfers for reviews.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current model and flex of your irons: Taylorade TP CB - Stiff Flex TT DG S300 XP

Your Handicap: 15.6

Your Age: 34

Are you Left or Right Handed: Righty

Do you know your iron specs: Standard Length and Loft, Lie 2* Up

Which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: Tough call, but Mizuno in my view

Which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf: Hmm, not a fan Wilsons or Clevelands, but that has more to do with brand image than products I'd say.

In my bag right now: RBZ Tour TP 10.5 Driver

MY_RBZ.jpeg

LOOKS:

The club is handsome from every angle, most importantly at address, where the Tour version of the RBZ takes on a less hefty look. At address, it appears smaller than 460 cc and inspires confidence. Taylormade continues to do an excellent job in finishing their products, and this driver is no exception. The graphics, colors, fonts, and overall design are clearly well thought-out and as silly as that sounds, to a product junkie like myself, that matters. The upgraded TP shaft is also treated with the RBZ graphic and color application and while some prefer the "real deal" look of non-stock drivers, I can appreciate what Taylormade have done, which is to make their clubs as recognizable as possible. Overall its a very nice progression from where I was with the previous R11.

SOUND AND FEEL:

The RBZ is a bit loud. That's not to say bad, just loud. When the ball is cut solidly, you'll know it and when tattooed it can be ear ringing, but overall I don't find a tremendous amount of fault with that. Its certainly not the traditional thwack you would get with a Titleist, but by the same token, its also not the softball bat screech you would get from a Nike SQ bread loaf driver either! Feel is exactly what I want from Taylormade. Like the RBZ fairways, the ball feels like its jumping off of the face hot and just going. Even with the stock Matrix shaft, I could feel the head working nicely with the shaft to deliver good contact. With the slightly heavier TP shaft, I found the feel to be a bit softer and just a touch more muted, not dead, just a bit softer. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised and as I said, it was a nice move from the R11 I played previously.

PERFORMANCE:

I thought for sure I would be buying an R11s. At my local demo, however, I found the RBZ to be everything I wanted. Light, powerful, responsive and forgiving enough for a guy of my skill level. Once tuned with the stiff TP shaft, and a loft of 12* playing 2* closed, I was carrying the ball longer than my previous R11. With an average swing speed of around 104, I was consistently rolling out to around 280-290, where I had been 7-10 yards shorter than that previously. Overall I didn't expect to love this club as much as I did, and, as I said, was convinced it would be as simple as dialing in an R11s, but everything about RBZ Tour worked well for me.

Thanks for the shot at test MGS!

Good luck guys. I would love to do a review on the irons but the Chicago golfing season is sadly coming to an end. I hope the irons aren't tmag, callaways, nikes, pings or mizunos. Although they make some great clubs, especially mizunos, I'd rather read about other brands instead of the irons that everyone reviews. :D

Driver - 9.5 Cobra Amp, 9.5 Bridgestone J40 430

3 Wood -Royal Collection JP104

3 Hybrid - Royal Collection JP104

Irons - Onoff forged

Wedges - 50, 56, 60 Royal Collection Dual Bite BK

Putter - Yamada Shogun

I came to this thread to view the instructions on how to apply for the job. I can tell you that were I the one in charge of hiring reviewers there would already be two - "thank you we'll get back to you's" - and I do hire and fire people despite the Rev tag. I recently had someone who applied for a job and then harrassed our administrative assistant for four days when they were told we hadn't made a decision yet. Do you think that person got the job? :rolleyes: Only if I wanted to tick my administrative assistant off and that ain't happening. She's too good.

What are you guys thinking?

Here's an opportunity - do what MGS is asking and apply and see what happens - They have the relationship with the OEM, they get the say so on who will do the reviews. Perhaps they are looking for people whose name starts with the letter C and the first three people whose name starts with a C get the gig. More than likely they're looking for people who will do what they're ask and be competent at it. Just a hunch but I'm guessing that will be the case. It's like a music audition - send a tape, see how they like you.

I got lucky on the other contest - I didn't know before hand that they were going to choose facebook as a platform for votes - I was every bit as fortunate as if they had drawn my name out of a hat. Are you really upset with me and the other winners for our good fortune. Really? That's sad IMO.

Good luck here - it sounds to me like this is the start of putting together a nice force of testers. Exactly what many of us have been hoping for. Thanks T. I'll try my hand at this tomorrow.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

• SPY VIP

I came to this thread to view the instructions on how to apply for the job. I can tell you that were I the one in charge of hiring reviewers there would already be two - "thank you we'll get back to you's" - and I do hire and fire people despite the Rev tag. I recently had someone who applied for a job and then harrassed our administrative assistant for four days when they were told we hadn't made a decision yet. Do you think that person got the job? :rolleyes: Only if I wanted to tick my administrative assistant off and that ain't happening. She's too good.

What are you guys thinking?

Here's an opportunity - do what MGS is asking and apply and see what happens - They have the relationship with the OEM, they get the say so on who will do the reviews. Perhaps they are looking for people whose name starts with the letter C and the first three people whose name starts with a C get the gig. More than likely they're looking for people who will do what they're ask and be competent at it. Just a hunch but I'm guessing that will be the case. It's like a music audition - send a tape, see how they like you.

I got lucky on the other contest - I didn't know before hand that they were going to choose facebook as a platform for votes - I was every bit as fortunate as if they had drawn my name out of a hat. Are you really upset with me and the other winners for our good fortune. Really? That's sad IMO.

Good luck here - it sounds to me like this is the start of putting together a nice force of testers. Exactly what many of us have been hoping for. Thanks T. I'll try my hand at this tomorrow.

Kev ...it's like anything else. There's always going to be one guy.

The one thing that bothers me is that this somehow got characterized as a contest. It's not. We're looking for people who will do a good job review products in accordance with the terms we set forth. Basically, you need to prove to us you can take good pics, and string some sentences together in a coherent, and hopefully entertaining fashion.

The *contributing member* thing is there to avoid the issues we had when we tried this the first time (thanks for the gear...Ima gonna keep and not write a word review wise). We can't have that happen again.

For those of you worried about post counts...yeah...we're probably not going to let a complete stranger have at it out of the gate, but take a guy like Dmattucci, for example. He's got less than a handful of posts, but he regularly comments on the blog...especially on the bigger articles, and he took part in the Tour Staff contest (if memory serves he was among those suggesting we give the website a facelift). He's most definitely not excluded from the running.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

T, how long are you going to hold this open? I've been wanting to write a review of my Dynacrafts irons/wedges and this seems like a perfect example, I just need to make it to the range, which I should be able to do by Thursday and write everything up this weekend.

Very neat T.

Entry:

Information

Model and flex: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, Stiff flex

Handicap: 13.2

Handed: Right

Iron Specs: Yup, all required specs are known to me

Questions

1: Best Irons

A: Mizuno

B: Nike

2: Worst Irons

A: Taylormade

B: Wilson

3: Picture

20120926_080435.jpg

4: Mini Review – Looks

When discussing looks, usually it's pretty straight forward for Mizuno irons. They look like a shiny, chrome blade and that's either your thing (most golfers) or not (you're probably from Mars) and thus does the story end. The JPX 800 and 825's are a bit of a recent departure in that they've also added Blue to the badge to catch your eye on the rack. Thus the JPX 825 Pro's are an interesting blend. They're still fairly colourless but instead of the bright poppy chrome, you get a fairly muted metal colour, at least for the head and then black polymer to further enhance the darkened look. Staring back at you from the cavity is the shiny chrome you would expect proudly announcing the model name. Sort of like a knight in shining armour striding out of the darkened forest. Though I'm sure Mizuno would probably prefer some sort of Samurai or the like in that imagery. Here's where you'll also notice that the cut out slot in the cavity differs in size per iron between the 4-7 and disappears in the scoring irons entirely.

Flipping the JPX 825 Pro over to take a look at the sole, you'll immediately notice that Mizuno has gone back to the triple cut sole cavity that's been a fixture in their irons before. The angles seem somewhat different, but anyone who's familiar with the MX200 or MX300's will recognize it immediately. We'll touch on this more later when we talk about the performance of the club and the technology behind it but just in terms of looks, I really like it. For lack of a better phrase, it's very “Mizunoey”. By that I mean it's clean, it's understated but it also shows that there's a lot of technology built into Mizuno clubs and it's there if you want to look. It just won't jump out of a darkened alley and beat you over the head with a neon green glow stick that proclaims how awesome it is with all its alien space ship infused goodness.

Finally and most importantly, we flip that club over at address and take a look. As I gander down upon it from my lofty height of not very tall at all, a number of things show up immediately. First, the darkened chrome look transfers across to address. For me, it doesn't do much but for those in say Florida with the sun beaming down all the time it'll be nice not to have the glare in your eye all the time. The second is that the top line has been bevelled to appear smaller then it is. By no means is it large, but with the beveling it looks more like a blade that had a few to many muffins while on holiday. Who are we to begrudge someone extra muffins eh? Suffice to say it looks great.

As for offset, you'll see an expected amount for a players club. It's not a lot but it's certainly there. It won't fix your release nor kick the ball way up in the air but it will help out with small timing or compression miscues, exactly what a players iron should do really.

All in all, I think this is an interesting package in looks for Mizuno. It's different from what they usually offer but not in a neon light saber flailing way.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this or something close to it was my 100+ word idea for the big contest wasn't it?!

Sick as a dog at the moment, I'll post my application when I can think.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

ya I would be into testing some gear. I may not meet the particip[ation levels though. We are able to play year round usually as well. Never looked for a launch monitor so couldn't tell you if I could get one.

Mizuno mp58 3-7

Mizuno mp68 8-Pw

with KBS tour stiff shafts

Mizuno t-11 wedges 54&60* w spinner shafts

all with Black Widow widow maker grips

currently 7.1 hcp

40 yrs

right handed and irons are all 2* up

while I have no idea how many if any post belong to me, you were the first I contacted when my brand new r11 blew up in my hands and you have the pictures to prove it. I have always enjoyed your site but do miss the controversial side although I understand how you pay the bills as well. good luck with how ever gets the gig, it would be a blast.

cheers Chris

Victoria BC

Very nice opportunity for 3 very lucky golfers. Always something exciting happening here for sure.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

This sounds fun, I'll give this a shot...

I'm currently playing Miura Small Blade irons with KBS 6.2 C-Taper shafts.

My handicap is a +0.5.

I am 50 years old and I'm right handed.

My loft and length are standard and the lie angle is 1 deg. upright.

The two companies making the best irons right now are Miura and Mizuno.

The two companies making the worst irons are Cleveland and Cobra. Cleveland for their unimaginative design and their horrific customer service. Cobra used to be a favorite. They made solid irons and the price point was very good. Now, everything that they release is orange it seems to appease Rickie Fowler. I must be getting old.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3399252379482&set=pb.1214947530.-2207520000.1349121299&type=1&src=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ash4%2F412121_3399252379482_1620862683_o.jpg&smallsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ash4%2F294903_3399252379482_1620862683_n.jpg&size=2048%2C1365

Miura Small Blades Sound and Feel

I feel I should start this review with a disclaimer. Hit these irons at your own financial risk! The second I hit one flush with these beauties I was sold. These Miura's are the crack cocaine of the golf industry.

Now that you've been warned, it is a little difficult to describe the feel of the Miura's because when you catch them right you feel...nothing. Let me tell you, the last time I had this feeling was almost 30 years ago hitting a Titleist Tour Balata 90 with Wilson Staff blades, and I was hitting the Miura's with crappy limited flight range balls. I know a lot of people will say they get a similar feeling with their irons, and prior to getting the Small Blades I would have been right there with you. My previous set were Mizuno MP-60's and I thought the feel on those was unparalleled, but even when I hit the MP-60's flush, I always felt a slight click in my hands. That click is gone in the Miura's.

The sound of these irons is a better way to tell true contact. Flush shots respond with a very satisfying dull thud similar to a well struck bunker shot.

Slight misses and thinned shots have a little click and a slight vibration,no big deal. However, big misses let you, and everyone in your vicinity, know that that wasn't your best swing. In fact, it's the worst clanking sound I've ever heard from an iron. One miss caused the guy hitting range balls in the next stall to even flinch once. He told me it sounded like I broke the iron and he was ducking to avoid the "shrapnel".

A huge thanks goes out to MGS and the unnamed OEM for bringing this amazing opportunity to us! I think I speak for the forum in saying how much we appreciate it.

My current irons are Ben Hogan Apex Edge with the regular flex Apex 3 shafts (I need stiffer shafts).

My handicap hovers between 10-15.

I am 16 years old.

I am right handed.

Yes. Standard loft, standard length, 1 degree upright. Length would probably be increased if I were fit today, these specs are from my last adjustment in May.

I believe all companies put out quality clubs and the "best: and "worst" are simply personal based on feel and attitude towards that brand. Two stand out to me as the "best:" Mizuno and Titleist. I have not gotten along well with Nike and Taylormade irons. If you really want to know the "worst," walk into Wal-Mart and check out the $100 Top Flite starter set :)

I recently added the Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 tour issue putter to my bag:

5Ia5N45Jc3E13Ke3M8c9p591e4982ccd41bcc.jpg

Looks:

This is a sharp looking putter. The black carbon finish is one that fits my eye and gives me the confidence I need to roll the ball in the cup. At address, it looks like a typical mid-mallet. The head shape is similar to #9 style Odyssey heads, but with the neck being very small and not right at the heel. There is very little offset. The cavity on the back has BETTINARDI engraved and the sole has MIZUNO BC3 engraved with the honeycomb B logo at the toe. The engravings make a pop and let you know the putter without being obnoxious. The milled face is the true beauty of this flatstick. The area in the center where the ball is struck has Mizuno's FitFace for optimum roll. Without getting into too much performance detail, it's a putter with the roll of an insert and the feel of a milled face. Around the FitFace is Bettinardi's signature honeycomb milling that makes any other putter want to hide in a corner - it looks that mean. Topped off with the Mizuno logo in the corner, it is one of the best looking putters you can roll.

MGS Looks Score: 19/20

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

The current model and flex of your irons: Callaway X-Tour & X-Forged 2009; 6.0 PX-Flighted

Your Handicap: 10.4

Your Age: 35

Are you Left or Right Handed: Right

Do you know your iron specs: 1* Upright, 48* PW, 6.0 (Stiff Hardstepped 1X)

Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf: Callaway (Forged) - Mizuno

Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf: It's difficult to find a company producing something that would fit this category today. If I had to pick, Callaway (cast) Taylor Made (Cast)

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/6781-miura-golf-km-007/page__p__68379__fromsearch__1#entry68379

***SEE ATTACHED***

IHS-991.pdf

Posted Image

The current model and flex of your irons: Mizuno MP62 with KBS C-Taper S

Your Handicap: 3

Your Age: 48

Are you Left or Right Handed:Right handed

Do you know your iron specs: Standard

AND Do the Following:

• Tell us which 2 companies make the best irons in golf easy Mizuno and Titleist
  • Tell us which 2 companies make the worst irons in golf Tiger Shark and Yonex I guess.

R11 F.JPG

Performance:

This came in the mail on Saturday during the rainy weekend so I took it to the course today and tested it out. My test method was pretty straight forward. I putt his 3 Wood in the bag and went out on the course. I had decided that I would use this off the tee when possible and I off the deck when possible while playing a regular round of golf. I would compare where Iended up to where I normally was with my short shafted keep it in the fairway driver.

I originally thought about keeping track of the distances, and actually did, but we had 1 ½”of rain over the weekend and today there was a slight breeze of 19 mph. I had drives of 180 yards with no roll and drives with 260 yards with no roll. I had similar results off the deck. I will say this, even riding in a golf cart at full speed with the wind, you could still feel the wind on the back of your neck. On one hole that I normally use 6 iron/6iron, I used 2 iron/4 iron and was short. I hit one tee shot that normally would have been at the 100 yard marker but was shocked when I got to the top of the hill and saw that I was 180 from the hole.

I would say that all things considered I was not significantly different that where I would normally be distance wise with any tee shot. I will also say that I hit 14 of 14 fairways today. This club was 7 of 7. I know for a fact that last week I played in a similar wind and on the 10 hole, straight into the wind, I was 15 yards behind where I was last week, but I also had some roll last week. I also used this club 5 times off the deck and ended up with 2 birdies and 3 pars. I was particularly impressed with the turf interaction of the sole. This has been my biggest complaint about fairway metals. Many have a flat sole and the slightest miss hit causes it to skip off the ground and top the ball resulting in an 80 yard putt when I want a 200 + yard bomb. Overall, I shot a 74 on a soggy windy course which makes me very happy. This club earned a place in my bag and I can easily see using it 10 times per round.

Also, many of the more modern FM I have tried have game improvement features that really get the ball up in the air and keep you from slicing the ball. The features do not work well with my swing, so I often have the high pop up to deep left field with them. The R11 is adjustable so by varying the set up you can add those or in my case take them away. In my case I have taken them out of the club and am really happy with the ball flight from this club. You really adjust the club like they say, I am not sure you can effect the ball flight to the degree they claim and have no way to really know that but can certainly make minor adjustments that affect the ball flight so that when you make a good swing the ball flight is the way you want it.

See below for full review.

http://forum.mygolfs...fairway-review/

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Great idea for a community event! Lots of great minds here and this should make for some pretty interesting reading.

Here's my two cents:

Current irons: Mizuno MP-59 with PX 5.5 shafts (WITB link here)

Handicap: 11

RH

Iron specs:

barbajo specs1.jpg

Sample photo - Coutour putter:

putter.jpg

Best irons: Did extensive testing this spring – favorites were Mizuno and Wilson

Worst irons: Don't think they're junk, but least favorites were Taylormade and Cleveland

Mizuno MP-59 Sound & Feel:Click.doc

Even thought I'm in Minnesota - there are a couple of indoor practice facilities nearby and my pro does his indoor fittings at one of them, so I have access to their monitors.

Thanks for putting this together guys - really appreciate all you do for us!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Best Irons - Mizuno / Miura

Worst Irons - Cobra / Cleveland

Irons – MP-59 3-PW

Shafts – KBS Tour Stiff

Handicap – 33

Age – 49

RH

Specs – Standard Length / Lie / Loft

Mizuno Spec Sheet Below

ULTIMATE REVIEW MIZUNO MP-59 IRONS

Whether you love them or hate them (or possibly somewhere in between), there is no denying that Mizuno make some of the best irons available and with their in-house forging facility you can be certain that consistency in the product is part of the philosophy at Mizuno.

So here is my unashamed and blatant pitch for MGS stardom or at least 0.02 milliseconds of notoriety.

SUBJECTIVE SCORING

LOOKS

The MP-59 is not black and it is not a blade (sorry T) but for my money they would be one of the prettiest looking irons on the market today. The combination of the outstanding polished finish and the titanium insert adds to the appeal and aesthetic looks of the club.

Matched nicely with the KBS Tour shafts and Multi Compound Blue & White grips, they attract attention whether poking provocatively out the top of the Mizuno bag or in my hand ready for action.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Looks Score: 99.5

Feel

There are no surprises here, the MP59's provide excellent feel and centre hits are smooth and silky. Feedback between a good and a great strike is instantly heard and felt with the latter creating a low resonant soft sound and literally no perceivable contact with the ball felt in the hands. Like hitting a squash ball with a cricket bat.

My miss is usually a slightly fat shot (high on the face but still centred) that creates a sound which is a dull pitched click and contact with the ball feels more solid in the hands.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Feel Score: 98.00

Perceived (Actual) Distance

I moved to the MP-59's from the T-Zoids in June this year and my first thoughts were that there was not much of a distance change. Although I have to say that gaining distance was not the reason for purchasing the 59's. So for the purpose of this review I have previously been to the range to do a side by side comparison of the 3, 5, 7 & 9 irons from both sets. Wow was I wrong.

What I had not taken into account was the lower trajectory of the 59's and with the lower CG, the 59's are an average of 30 yards longer than the T-Zoids on each club selected. Even my miss hits with the 59's were longer.

So to rate as per the category of “Perceived Distance”, I have rated a little lower than if I was rating for “Actual Distance”.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Perceived Distance Score: 89.00

Perceived Accuracy

OK, so no mistakes with this one. I did not have to do a side by side with the T-Zoids for me to know that my perception of the accuracy gained was in fact a reality. The 59's sends the ball exactly where your swing tells it to go. Align the face to the target, your shoulders to where you want the ball to start and bingo you get a fade or a draw every time.

The most noticeable difference is that a miss hit for me with the 59's only yields a minimal change in the accuracy.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Perceived Accuracy Score: 99.00

Perceived Forgiveness

When I started looking for a new set of irons I noticed the Mizuno marketing spiel that says the titanium insert is responsible for the forgiveness exhibited by the 59's which is forged into the head to give it a solid carbon steel feel with weighting moved to the heel and toe.

So from there I went and tried one at the local retailer and found that the forgiveness characteristics of this club suited me very well. Shots hit a little fat (my miss) as well as towards the heel or toe suffer little if not any discernible detriment in distance or direction. Thin shots, even just a little suffer badly in loss of distance.

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Perceived Forgiveness Score: 92.00

Likelihood of Purchase

No brainer here. I already did. Would I buy them again if I knew what I know now - ABSOLUTELY?

The Next MGS Reviewer - AJ Likelihood of Purchase Score: 100.00

Conclusion

Are the Mizuno MP-59's for everyone, not if you only like black blades or your miss is a thin hit? They definitely suit my swing and the in-built forgiveness plays to my miss hit.

I have seen a large improvement in both my game and confidence with shot selection (don't let my handicap fool you). Great feel and feedback, with good reward for your shots.

AJ

P.S. Sorry no pictures as I am away at the moment. But if you have not already check out www.ajphoto.com.au

P.P.S. I will be home this Friday, so photos will be uploaded then.

Specs.png

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

You got my +1 Rev, great post - and congratulations again. You've got to be in to win, right?

Got to be in to win, Amen to that one. It seems to me that this one is more like a job application - you put your best foot forward and hope you're what they're looking for.

I already see a couple of great candidates here. I'm sure there will be lots more. This will be a tough decision for the crew to make. I hope its the start of widening the field to include lots of people here so whoever gets this best not screw it up for the others to follow.

Thanks for the kind words Aoteroabrad

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.