Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

OFFICIAL MyGolfSpy Club Testing - TaylorMade RocketBladez

Tony Covey MGS

I just read the High Tech Swing Trainer Shootout over on the other side, and I must say that the Staff has once again set the standards for a review pretty high. It was full of useful and honest opinions both good and bad absent the fluff other sites. Great job again, this time it was Matt.

That was a fantastic review. I'd really like to see a follow up in a bit after those guys make their product improvements. It was really cool to see all 3 in on the discussion and taking your criticism to heart. I imagine all 3 products will be greatly improved in the upcoming months. Kudos to MGS if that comes to fruition.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said it out front and I'll say it here to: there will not be a follow up. Will there be a whole new shoot out next year with more products? Very likely, but that will be a new piece that will stand on its own. The tech review ate up months of time, and I'm burned out on it. The ball is in the companies' court for the next 4-5 months to improve their products for the next go round.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I said it out front and I'll say it here to: there will not be a follow up. Will there be a whole new shoot out next year with more products? Very likely, but that will be a new piece that will stand on its own. The tech review ate up months of time, and I'm burned out on it. The ball is in the companies' court for the next 4-5 months to improve their products for the next go round.

Good call Matt, puts the emphasis back on the manufacturers to either improve their product or not. At least anyone who gets to read the review will be purchasing a product that suits what they want and taking some of the guess work out of the process.

Great review!

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

What is the deadline for submissions?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

What is the deadline for submissions?

we're ongoing. I spoke with the OEM earlier this week. I think we're going to be later putting this in people's hands than I had originally anticipated, but it will happen. We're also looking into a few other similar opportunities with other companies.

We'll probably use this thread as a the test pool for the first few, and then go from there.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

My last post made no sense because I somehow missed everything else that had come after the last one I read so I've deleted it.

Lots of interesting reading here that I can't even begin to comment on because it's a week old. I will say that my original comment to the early complaints was simple enough, "If you're wanting to apply to be a tester it's not a wise idea to start by complaining about things such as a contest or anything else for that matter."

I see this as something totally different from the tour staff contest - that was - a contest as the name implies. This is a job. MyGolfSpy is looking for some people who are capable of giving an honest assesment of equipment that they test complete with pictures and it needs to be done a certain way for consistency sake. Like any other job they'll choose the number of people whom they think will be the most reliable in following those simple directives. Like any other job that you apply for the ball is in the interviewer's court - MGS knows what it's looking for because it knows what the OEM is wanting.

I'm out on this one because I don't think I can fulfill the requirements for a variety of reasons. I will say that I don't know whether or not I'm even in the league of some of the people who have submitted audition pieces. The pictures are sharp and there have been numerous write ups that fit the bill.

Good luck everyone and to those who are selected I hope you do a great job because I would like to throw my hat in the ring for something like this later on down the road.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My last post made no sense because I somehow missed everything else that had come after the last one I read so I've deleted it.

Lots of interesting reading here that I can't even begin to comment on because it's a week old. I will say that my original comment to the early complaints was simple enough, "If you're wanting to apply to be a tester it's not a wise idea to start by complaining about things such as a contest or anything else for that matter."

I see this as something totally different from the tour staff contest - that was - a contest as the name implies. This is a job. MyGolfSpy is looking for some people who are capable of giving an honest assesment of equipment that they test complete with pictures and it needs to be done a certain way for consistency sake. Like any other job they'll choose the number of people whom they think will be the most reliable in following those simple directives. Like any other job that you apply for the ball is in the interviewer's court - MGS knows what it's looking for because it knows what the OEM is wanting.

I'm out on this one because I don't think I can fulfill the requirements for a variety of reasons. I will say that I don't know whether or not I'm even in the league of some of the people who have submitted audition pieces. The pictures are sharp and there have been numerous write ups that fit the bill.

Good luck everyone and to those who are selected I hope you do a great job because I would like to throw my hat in the ring for something like this later on down the road.

Very nicely said, Revkev.

I believe that MGS truly wants to provide the best in the form of reviews, tests, surveys & general comments so that the MGS Forum members can get the most out of the website. This, in turn, allows them to get the most out of their game of golf......which is what we all want.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons, stock steel shafts, regular flex

Handicap: 13.1

Right Handed

Iron Specs: Standard length, my Burners are 1 degree flat (but since there is no real standard for lie angle and the Burners are more upright than most irons I'd go with standard lies)

I think that Adams and Mizuno make the best irons in golf. My least favorite irons are Pings and Clevelands, although both have some newer models that intrigue me.

For the photo and review requirement, I'll point you to the one I just finished for the Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

FYI - We're going to be selecting our testers for this club VERY SOON.

By the by...the 3 selected readers will be testing the TaylorMade RocketBladez.

How do you like them apples?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I love the RocketBladez testing! I gotta say the marketing approach of these irons is not something I'm fond of but the clubs themselves without the word blade on them do intrigue me. I wonder what they'd do to my ten year old irons? I'd love to see...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

That's pretty darn cool.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Suspected as much as soon as I saw the annoucement this morning. Very neat.

I'm admittedly curious if testers will be doing them all stock or if they'll be testing with a shaft they're fitted for.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Suspected as much as soon as I saw the annoucement this morning. Very neat.

I'm admittedly curious if testers will be doing them all stock or if they'll be testing with a shaft they're fitted for.

I bet if they're tying to prove the irons by itself is all distance and consistent and perfect, they do it stock.

If they simply want the best possible reviews they'll want fitted irons.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

I bet if they're tying to prove the irons by itself is all distance and consistent and perfect, they do it stock.

If they simply want the best possible reviews they'll want fitted irons.

Of course they are going to send irons matching the testers specs. It would be a complete crapshoot to do otherwise!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

B):):P:D;):lol: Need I say more.

They look marvelous.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I like them apples. Awesome looking club.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Kind of figured these would be the ones that would be tested, even when we saw them in the camo trim.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Of course they are going to send irons matching the testers specs. It would be a complete crapshoot to do otherwise!

On another golf forum, they sent the Burner 2.0s for testing completely to the tester's specs and it was a huge success. The next year they sent the RBZ irons stock a with also a fair amount of success. I'd say they got better feedback spec'd out but the stock clubs didn't do a bad job.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Absolutely on the spec'd side, however the only issue is that 93-95% of all golfers don't buy qnything "spec'd." The only question on the irons side is, "regular or stiff, sir?"

So an "off-the-shelf" review is more valid and "real world."

JMHO

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Why would TM not want to stack the deck though? I'm sure they expect reviewers on this site will say what they think and what any LM numbers show, positive or not.

Hell, the RBZ ad they made from Tony's visit to the kingdom sure didn't mention he was custom fit, just the distance compared against an old club. You had to actually read his review to find that out.

Absolutely on the spec'd side, however the only issue is that 93-95% of all golfers don't buy qnything "spec'd." The only question on the irons side is, "regular or stiff, sir?"

So an "off-the-shelf" review is more valid and "real world."

True! You think they would advertise a free fitting session with every iron purchase. Just think how much "better" those irons will be when they're fitted for the individual. Folks will hit them better, and like them better!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

True! You think they would advertise a free fitting session with every iron purchase. Just think how much "better" those irons will be when they're fitted for the individual. Folks will hit them better, and like them better!

Why? If people are too happy with their clubs, they won't buy next years model :)

I am very curious which path they'll take with this, I can see both sides of the argument.

Why would TM not want to stack the deck though? I'm sure they expect reviewers on this site will say what they think and what any LM numbers show, positive or not.

Exactly! And they SHOULD "stack the deck". Reviews will be far more accurate if the irons are fitted to the tester. I can more safely assume that if I am fitted to the same irons they will perform similar. If a tester is given a random set off the shelf who knows what the test results will be.....maybe accurate info....maybe worthless data!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Thing is, they've also got their new rocket fuel shafts so I'm sure that those will be in the clubs to get a review on those as well. But I've been wrong before, lol. Just imagine they'd want both proprietary ingredients reviewed

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thing is, they've also got their new rocket fuel shafts so I'm sure that those will be in the clubs to get a review on those as well. But I've been wrong before, lol. Just imagine they'd want both proprietary ingredients reviewed

The RocketFuel shafts are probably the same low quality steel shafts we've seen in every other Taylormade distance marketed GI iron. I don't think they're out to market those, because the ones they are aiming these irons at don't care about the shaft.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

• SPY VIP

I could see this happening. Joe Public is a far larger market share that us, the educated golfer. It would make sense from a TM standpoint to want people searching the internet for reviews to read about their base product which is typically easier to walk in and by off the shelf. Now if the target for this instance is to strictly woo the educated golf geek will surely see fitted clubs.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Archived