Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New Iron Suggestions for a 13 Handicapper

Puttdog23

Hey All,

I have been playing Cleveland CG4 Irons for about 6 yrs now. I will say that I love the look of the club (med topline-classic look)and the performace (have improved from a mid 20 handicapper to a 13). But as with most people on this site im sure, I have the itch to put some new technology to the test.

I also would really like to get custom fitted for the new set as well.

Was wondering if anyone out there with a similar handicap has any recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

I have a lower handicap but you might try the new Mizuno JPX-825 Pros. They have a very nice fitting process that recommends the proper shaft and of course the lie angle, shaft length, grip size, all that jazz.

Really enjoyed my Mizuno fitting - now if I can just get used to the clubs I'll be great - I've had them for less than a week - it will come.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well I'm only a few shots lower than you and I've just bought Ping I20; fitting programme available from Ping to get them sorted for you. I tried them alongside many more expensive (and cheaper) irons and I was hugely impressed.

But, youd be daft not to go and hit as many irons as you can and see what works for you. Nothing better than club testing!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• SPY VIP

I completely agree with both of the suggestions that have been tossed out so far. The other iron that immediately springs to mind is the Adams Idea Pro a12.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

+1 on the Mizuno 825 Pro. Or try the "old" 800 Pro. i20 too, great irons.

I´d take a look at Wilson - try FG Tour V2 and even Ci11. And Cobra AMP Forged. Nike VRS Forged. Callaway Razr X Tour. So many great irons out there now. Cast still has excellent feel and quality.

They´re all good heads. Find one that you think looks good and put the best shaft in them. Look beyond the stock offerings, try shafts like Nippon and KBS. Or even graphite.

Oh boy... being asked to recommend a set of irons based on handicap. I've always believed handicap and club selection are independent of each other. I could recommend blades for many reasons. I could recommend SGIs for many reasons. Based solely on my perception of one's game at a 13 handicap (mine also), I'd recommend something along the lines of what everyone else is recommending. i20, 825 Pro, Ci11, that kind of iron...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

+1 on the Mizuno 825 Pro. Or try the "old" 800 Pro. i20 too, great irons.

I´d take a look at Wilson - try FG Tour V2 and even Ci11. And Cobra AMP Forged. Nike VRS Forged. Callaway Razr X Tour. So many great irons out there now. Cast still has excellent feel and quality.

They´re all good heads. Find one that you think looks good and put the best shaft in them. Look beyond the stock offerings, try shafts like Nippon and KBS. Or even graphite.

I second the Wilson FG Tour V2. I absolutely love them.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Oh boy... being asked to recommend a set of irons based on handicap. I've always believed handicap and club selection are independent of each other.

I agree with that completely.

Anyway.....your other option is a mixed set:

MB's 8-PW

CB's (or GI's) 5-7

Hybrids 3-4

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

All great suggestions, and probably the most important piece of the pie, get fit for the right shaft.... some irons are more forgiving than others, and some feel different than others - but in the end, on an iron, the shaft will make a world of difference as well as any custom adjustments to fit you/your swing.

I vote to hit as many as you can and find the ones that feel the best and appeal to your eye the most (maybe narrow down to 3-4 choices) then go through a fitting with those and find the ones that give you the best results of the ones you like the look and feel of.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I completely agree with both of the suggestions that have been tossed out so far. The other iron that immediately springs to mind is the Adams Idea Pro a12.

Defiantly a +1 on these...(Pro a12) I just did the same thing just a couple of months ago. I went through the stage of needing to lower my handicap and wanted a club I could do it with. I will be honest I found a set of Pro A12 iron heads and a set of Kbs c-tapers. Ever since I have tried these I love going to play golf even more now. I can work the ball how ever I want and even though I haven't broke a 10 handicap yet I feel confident that I can do it with these clubs. I would also suggest the Adams CMB.....

Just experience- get fit and be happy..

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Why not try a used set of 712 AP2s? I think with the way you've improved your game (from a 20 to a 13), the next step would be a better set of irons. As posted many times, get fitted - with the right shaft the AP2s will be magic for you.

TK3

Driver: Ping G400 MAX with PING Alta CB 55 Stiff

Fairway: Callaway Epic 15* with Fujikura Speeder 565

Hybrid: RocketBallz 19* Hybrid with Stock Shaft

Irons: JDM Titleist VG3 irons w/ Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 Shafts 

Wedges: Ping Glide 50*/54*/58*

Putter: Scotty GoLo Pro with Midsize Matador Grip

Ball: Srixon Z Star

Shoes: Nike Air Zoom Accurate

Bag: Sun Mountain MPB

I just realized no one mentioned the MP59s, which are my favorite club on the market. I went through the Mizuno fitting months ago and was fit to the MP59 + KBS Tour S shaft. It's a lot more forgiving than it looks and the feel is heads above the rest.

The one knock on them that I can't verify is they're inconsistent as far as distances, but whether that's inconsistent vs a CB iron or blade, I'm not sure. I would expect blades to be more consistent if you hit them perfectly, but can't imagine the MP59s are less consistent than other CB irons.

Archived