Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

IT Grumbles/Tech thread

Super Tuna

Greetings all,

Through my time here I've come to find with have A LOT of guys in IT on this board. Much like the Spanish Inquisition, we have three cheif elements. Suprise, surpise and fear and errrrrrrrrrr...

We have three cheif elements, fixing stuff, complaining about the things/people we fix/design things for and lastly and most importantly, make up funny names for people we fix/design things for such as PEBCAK.

Figured this would be a good thread for all the geeky IT and tech stuff to go plus a nice spot for general whines. Such as: No, turning your monitor towards the printer does not let your computer SEE the printer or the like.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

maybe don't tape your password to the cover of your laptop.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Sometimes I'm really glad I don't have to provide IT support.

Have you ever set a desktop screenshot as a wallpaper? LOL :D

Or when I go home and turn on my parents computers... holy crap... it's like they have to save EVERYTHING on the desktop. I'm surprised you can still see the wallpaper.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Sometimes I'm really glad I don't have to provide IT support.

Have you ever set a desktop screenshot as a wallpaper? LOL :D

Or when I go home and turn on my parents computers... holy crap... it's like they have to save EVERYTHING on the desktop. I'm surprised you can still see the wallpaper.

I periodically fill up my desktop with random notes or documents. Then out of laziness I create an "Old Desktop" folder and dump everything into it. Unfortunately, out of sight/out of mind means I have several layers of crap on my desktop :lol:

My favorite thing to do to the folks with a very cluttered desktop is take a screen pic of their desktop, then dump all their icons in a folder and put the screen grab as their wallpaper.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My favorite thing to do to the folks with a very cluttered desktop is take a screen pic of their desktop, then dump all their icons in a folder and put the screen grab as their wallpaper.

Dude, that's mean. Funny as hell (and may wind up happening to my wife if I ever have a death wish), but mean....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Hah! Nice.

I don't actually do support per say Steven but occasionally it pops up or I over hear amusing stories from my tech's. Or come across random things in doing compliancy audits. Such as last week when a company couldn't figure out why no one could get any work done over the VPN in the evenings, as it was so slow it would be useless but during peak hours of the day it was fine. Turns out a guy had setup a Halflife gaming server as a VM on his desktop and was funnelling all the gaming traffic through there. :lol:

Even funnier was that somehow their current tech "missed" it.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

LMAO...now THAT is funny :D :D

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably the poster child for a PEBCAK. My problem is I somehow screwed up my password on my gmail acct in my iPhone. It's been so liking since I've used it that I forgot it.

I enter what I thought it was but it rejects it, but unlike my me.com acct it gives me no way to have it forwarded or changed.

What am I doing wrong and would I be better off using my lap top to reset it? My phone gives me no options to reset it.

Thanx a lot in advance. Man. This is a great thread!

Great job Tuna

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Laptop is probably going to be easier, but on my android phone I could go to http://mail.google.com/ and click "Can't access your account?"

Bless you RP. You keep techie's in jobs. B)

I did so enjoy the site I was doing an audit on yesterday for SOX purposes. Wander into the server room. Taped to the KVM is the master Admin credentials. Said server room isn't locked or secured with anything by the by.

Good times.

Tuna, tell me about it...I got two people on retainer, my attny & my "Apple Super Genious"..LMAO...And he's not much less than my attny..lol

Fairways & Greens 4evet

Heh.

I get that a lot actually when people look at the rates I get billed out at as well.

Dude, you're my new hero! I'm sorta a ho in this regard cuz I have a hero a week(sorry JBones & JMiller65..lol) but this in combination with you postin my pics means you da man for a while!

The fact that I just got 152 e-mails(seriously) is ok!

Have a good one

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Anytime RPJ. I took nearly a month off golf when work got hectic. Went back today and felt like I had never seen a club before, especially those wooden clubs that aren't even made of wood. I'm glad I'm good at something at least.

• 1 month later...

Interesting.

It appears Taylormade uses Box.net to push info down to their sales staff. Amusing that's their rep's pitch to me to keep it given he knows I'm a golfer. Sorry mate, going to a more secure solution.

I wonder if anybody's doing data storage around here? Data Storage is everybody's favourite whipping boy when things go awry in the IT environment. As long as they see a SCSI error somewhere in the logs, it's GOTTA be a storage issue.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I wonder if anybody's doing data storage around here? Data Storage is everybody's favourite whipping boy when things go awry in the IT environment. As long as they see a SCSI error somewhere in the logs, it's GOTTA be a storage issue.

That isn't what I do as a whole, but I do spent quite a lot of time doing storage architecture for places.

Storage is always so funny. Everyone needs it, but no one wants to pay for it nor stick their data where it's suppose to go to make everything function. Kinda like backups as well. Always fun having those conversations.

Forget SCSI error.

Any IT error thhat I have is directly related to the deficient storage of grey matter.

Actually, I've found that I can't store what I don't have.

Fairways &Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

PEBCAK?

Archived