TESTERS WANTED! ×

[advice] driving it into the wind

Just had to play a round last weekend hitting into 20mph winds. Not fun. I was close to ballooning the ball in several holes and ending up in ladies.

So my question is:

How do keep the ball low with the driver? Tee it lower? Further back in the stance? Close the face? Shorter finish? All of the above?

I tried teeing the ball further back in my stance... huge slice.

I tried closing the face... duck hook.

Any of you spies have some tips to do it the right way?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Best advice is the simplest:

When it's breezy, swing easy.

I could get into the technical side of why this is super good advice, but it's dull and it doesn't rhyme.

+1 to this. My home course is notoriously windy and that's always my last thought when hitting into the wind.

Personally I just tee it a little bit lower and swing easy.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Well, I play in the wind most days. On the rare day that there is no wind and I do not have to calculate the club change, it takes several holes to get comfortable. I stand at the bag and think, "Ok, it is 158 yard, and the wind is ????, that can't be right." A few months ago I wrote a thread about this http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/5569-golfing-in-the-wind/

Hope you find some useful info there.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I replaced my 5W with a 17* 2H because my 5W 7 4H had the same distance....The 2H is a club that I can play for 150 punches up to 200 yd low flights into the wind. It has a low trjectory which what you want when hitting directly into the wind.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

wd, on 3 of the Par 5's, the difference between men and ladies' tees is about 220 yards.

We had 44mph winds today, so it was pretty tough!

Swing easy... got it!

So nothing else needs to be adjusted? Ball position? Finish? Tee height?

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

wd, on 3 of the Par 5's, the difference between men and ladies' tees is about 220 yards.

Swing easy... got it!

So nothing else needs to be adjusted? Ball position? Finish? Tee height?

44 mph wind? That is different, swing really really hard, with the putter. Above 30 is unplayable for the pros. Above 40 is unplayable for me. Of course, I do not normally play for the same money as them.:rolleyes:

Whenever i want to hit a lower driver shot into the wind, i tee it up higher than usual. I cant really explain why it works but for some reason i hit a better, more accurate low ball when i tee it up higher.

I usually just shelve the driver when it get's that windy. Straight into hybrids where I can adjust the flight more easily/they don't launch as high to begin with. Windy days are the days I love have a 16 degree hybrid a whole bunch!

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I was twisting your comment to mean something else, hence the italicized portion. Anyway, don't mind me.

LOL wd, I just read that again :lol:

RR, it was insane man. On the way home, I could feel the wind swaying my car from side to side.

I vote swing it slower and tee it lower.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Good tips! Thanks guys. Will try it out if the rain decides to stop... someday...

Tee it lower, play it a bit farther back in your stance and swing easy. All those things keep the ball lower and out of the wind.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Jbones nailed it on the head.. The biggest thing I do to keep my flight down is to keep more of my weight forward

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Is that a typo? You would struggle to walk in that wind, let alone hit a golf ball.

Call me a wuss, but once you start breaking 20mph wind speeds golfing just isn't nearly as enjoyable to me.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Is that a typo? You would struggle to walk in that wind, let alone hit a golf ball.

Call me a wuss, but once you start breaking 20mph wind speeds golfing just isn't nearly as enjoyable to me.

Nope, the wind was that blowing that hard.

Forget walking, even driving was a total challenge.

Usually, when the day starts out like that or with rain, I don't even bother going to the course.

But it started out sunny and calm and all of a sudden it felt like a typhoon was coming.

The biggest thing I do to keep my flight down is to keep more of my weight forward

I read this just before I went out on the course this morning. I always have a pretty low ball filight. Enough so that I recently got a driver with more loft, blah, blah, blah. With this thought in mind, I made my swings the same as always, start the down swing with the hip slide (thrust, turn), hands forward of the ball, but made sure my weight was back, and I hit high bombs. A few times I wanted the ball fiight to be low, so I made sure my weight was forward and it stayed low.

This was not "new" to me but it sure helped remember it out on the course. I hate when I am leaving the course or just about finished with a round and realize that there was something I had been doing all day and just then realized it. In this case, I was reminded before I played.

Thanks.

44mph.

That is a a couple mph short of being a typhoon. Dangerous to be out in wind like that.

I would walk in, swing changes in that type of weather may make a difference but there are too many things being left to chance in that wind (including your safety)

I once played in a typhoon and I had full wedge shots (pw usually 115-120 carry) going maybe 50 yards. I switched to a 5iron almost exclusively on every shot from 200 yards to 80 yards to keep it out of the wind. We stopped after 9 holes. Never again.

Im very curious about this whole, "weight forward" thing. Wouldnt that make you hit down on the ball more, causing more backspin and a higher trajectory?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

44mph.

That is a a couple mph short of being a typhoon. Dangerous to be out in wind like that.

I would walk in, swing changes in that type of weather may make a difference but there are too many things being left to chance in that wind (including your safety)

I once played in a typhoon and I had full wedge shots (pw usually 115-120 carry) going maybe 50 yards. I switched to a 5iron almost exclusively on every shot from 200 yards to 80 yards to keep it out of the wind. We stopped after 9 holes. Never again.

Yeah, we found out after we went into the club house and the guy had the weather channel on :D

We stopped after 9 too, cause well... it didn't make any sense to play like that. I used a 6 iron on a 130 yard Par 3 and it barely made it to fringe.

But good to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to try golf under such conditions. Never again indeed!

RR, I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel there are too many details to keep in your head at the same time, so I made a small cheat sheet, printed it out with the rules of golf and keep it in my bag. I have all the key points for all the different types of shots I can play. How to play a draw, a fade, out of fairway bunkers, greenside bunkers, into the wind, chip shots, pitch shots, punch shots, etc.

For instance, next time I could remember to tee it lower and swing easy, but forget about moving weight forward. So when it doesn't work, I'll take a peek at my sheet and see what I'm doing wrong.

I also take notes of all the things the pro teaches me in each lesson. Where the hands should be, how it should feel, etc. and try to reproduce it when I'm alone practicing on the range.

Im very curious about this whole, "weight forward" thing. Wouldnt that make you hit down on the ball more, causing more backspin and a higher trajectory?

Not necessarily. It could, but it's not a 1:1 correlation...very few things in the swing are.

That said, higher AoA, and thus, higher spin is the reason why I don't necessarily go for teeing it low or playing it farther back in my stance.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

This! And another reason why all of those 1/4 page "tips" for the most part do more damage than they do good. I'm looking at a magazine "tip" recommending the former and if I had the time I could locate one spouting the latter.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Thanks. Self serving as this will sound: no tip, whether on a forum or in a magazine, can take the place of a knowledgeable instructor creating an individualized recommendation for you.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Correct it will be individual.

It is usually mental for me, the lower I tee it my swing tends to change to a iron/steeper swing. I end up ballooning it, making it worse.

The swinging slower and smoother gets a better job done although it also goes a lot less further than when I would just bring out out my 4wood, hood it and make a huge draw/hook swing. So I go the 4wood route instead off the tee when I want to hit it low. Then 2 clubs more with the slower smoother swing when in the fairway.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do anything with my driver in the wind as far as trying to flight the ball. I've found that I do better if I just swing normal and let the wind do what it will. I will of course compensate for left/right right/left wind, and I will draw or fade it to try to achieve a better result, but trying to hit it low or high just doesn't work for me. I'm sure it's just because I don't know how to do it right, but I decided I didn't need to know, and just hope that for every hole the wind eats 40 yards, it'll give it back somewhere else!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

and just hope that for every hole the wind eats 40 yards, it'll give it back somewhere else!

Ah, if this were only true.

I want to clarify on my tip, when I say tee it lower and move it back. I play the ball off of my front big toe and tee the ball so that it's equator is equal to the top of my driver, which allows me to hit on the upswing, maximizing carry. When I am hitting into the wind, I tee it so that the top of the ball is even with the top of the driver and I move it back to just a hair inside my front heel, which allows me to sweep the ball off the tee and hit it just below the center of the face, which allows it to come off low and maximize the carry. Leaving it tee'd forward results in a worm burner in this setup. I also find that the 60/40 weight ratio does nothing but help me stay more in balance going into the wind.

Archived