TESTERS WANTED! ×

McIlroy to Nike

Siravo82

I have a GD Tour ADDI but not because Tiger has one. I have one because it is what my swing needed, the fact that Tiger has one did not enter into the equation. I have played that shaft for since March and I have been paired with maybe a hundred different golfers and only one time did I meet someone who knew it was anything other than an orange shaft.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ill leave it at these few points:

What was the most talked about club at the Open Championship and the months leading up to it?

The long putter.

There is no question that Tiger built Nike Golf. However, I do not agree that he is the reason for Scotty Cameron Putters success. No more than he is the reason for Vokey wedges success. Their partnership (maybe employment) with Titleist is the reason, not to mention they make a good product. The number one putter, wedge, shoe, and ball are Titleist. And the number 1 driver is TMag. When I look at other people's bags at the club, I do not see new Nike equipment much at all. TMag, Titleist, and Ping are the big three at my club and the places I have played.

I realize that is a very small sampling, but I will say Tiger is still a big draw as far as followings. Typically, on Sundays we finish the first 18 and are in the club having lunch when the other groups start coming in. Probably the most asked question is "How is Tiger doing?" This is alway early in the Sunday round, and I come home and finish watching it, cheaper beer and I can lay down and nap and watch, but while he generates a following, he does not generate club sales. Lots of Nike apparal. May have more to do with qualiity and availibility though.

There is no question that Tiger built Nike Golf. However, I do not agree that he is the reason for Scotty Cameron Putters success. No more than he is the reason for Vokey wedges success. Their partnership (maybe employment) with Titleist is the reason, not to mention they make a good product. The number one putter, wedge, shoe, and ball are Titleist. And the number 1 driver is TMag. When I look at other people's bags at the club, I do not see new Nike equipment much at all. TMag, Titleist, and Ping are the big three at my club and the places I have played.

I realize that is a very small sampling, but I will say Tiger is still a big draw as far as followings. Typically, on Sundays we finish the first 18 and are in the club having lunch when the other groups start coming in. Probably the most asked question is "How is Tiger doing?" This is alway early in the Sunday round, and I come home and finish watching it, cheaper beer and I can lay down and nap and watch, but while he generates a following, he does not generate club sales. Lots of Nike apparal. May have more to do with qualiity and availibility though.

I see a lot of Nike equipment around here, especially in the Atlanta metro area. I will also point to this sampling. When Tiger switched to the Method, why could stores not keep the 001 in stock? When he switched to the 003, those flew off the shelves. Every eBay listing out there had Tiger's name synonymous with the Method. At that same time, no Scotties were moving on retail shelves, practically. There was one particular store that had a problem keeping Scotties in stock before Tiger switched, now they've always got a wall full and very few Methods. The 001 still rarely ever is in stock (there was a used one in there last week with a Lankin Deep Etched Corded Paddle on it for $205. I looked at it and put it down. 8 people picked it up and putted with it while I was checking Bettinardis and other putters out around their putting green. The 8th guy that putted with it bought it. He asked the sales rep if they could get him the all black Nike headcover Tiger uses to go with it so it'd be exactly like Tiger's.(they can't, it's a tour department only item)). I see and hear these types of interactions all the time in this store and the other one right up the street. When the VR LE drivers hit shelves, they had trouble keeping it in stock. People may end up breaking up with them and selling them, but the Nike product always sells well around here. I've seen guys go in stores asking about Nike blades because that's what Tiger uses. They couldn't hit a blade if their life depended on it, but they're intent on buying what Tiger uses.

I've yet to hear a single person ask about any other equipment because any other player out there uses XXX club.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Does anybody have the DATA on club sales? Lots of "I see lots of Nike" or "I don't see any Nike", but no sales data (outside of the studies that RB7 linked to).

The problem with the argument, even with sales data, is that there are too many confounding variables. Do Nike, Ping, and Cobra all have the same amount of TV ads? Magazine ads? How many golf forums have they purchased? ;) What about the quality of the ads? What about the other staff players? What about...oh...the product itself?

You can say Bubba moves G20's, but maybe the G20 is just a better driver than the VR-S. You might argue that Fowler sells AMP irons, but maybe Cobra bought more ads for the AMP iron than Nike did for the VR Combo set.

Unless you asked every single person who bought clubs, "Why did you buy that?" and had them answer honestly, you can't really know how much influence any one of these guys have.

FWIW, at the Ryder Cup, Tiger's following was enormous. Even with the eminent risk of taking a golf ball to the dome, people were lining his fairways yelling, "Go get 'em, Tiger!" I don't see a lot of the backlash anymore...I just don't think people care. Some do, of course, but I think it's a really small, bitter group (of which T is president). :D

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Does anybody have the DATA on club sales? Lots of "I see lots of Nike" or "I don't see any Nike", but no sales data (outside of the studies that RB7 linked to).

The problem with the argument, even with sales data, is that there are too many confounding variables. Do Nike, Ping, and Cobra all have the same amount of TV ads? Magazine ads? How many golf forums have they purchased? ;) What about the quality of the ads? What about the other staff players? What about...oh...the product itself?

You can say Bubba moves G20's, but maybe the G20 is just a better driver than the VR-S. You might argue that Fowler sells AMP irons, but maybe Cobra bought more ads for the AMP iron than Nike did for the VR Combo set.

Unless you asked every single person who bought clubs, "Why did you buy that?" and had them answer honestly, you can't really know how much influence any one of these guys have.

FWIW, at the Ryder Cup, Tiger's following was enormous. Even with the eminent risk of taking a golf ball to the dome, people were lining his fairways yelling, "Go get 'em, Tiger!" I don't see a lot of the backlash anymore...I just don't think people care. Some do, of course, but I think it's a really small, bitter group (of which T is president). :D

It's the same way at Augusta, and was the year after the scandal.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

You know I was thinking about this on the course today. And it could be that there are two types of people out there, Those that buy clubs because their favorite player uses them, and people who follow players because they play the same brand. Last year, I played mainly Titleist equipment and most of the guys I was pulling for were Titleist staffers. This year, I went to Mizuno and am a big Luke Donald fan.

Well, I was before but now I root for him and Byrd because they are my brands men. Am I going to swap my MP62's for MP64's because Luke did. No.

I would never dream of playing a club because some one does or doesn't play them, but I can understand that there are people who do.

I'm sticking with Richard on this one. Nothing shocks me anymore but I think Rory is of the, "I want to be the man," mindset and he knows that ain't happening at Nike. Certainly Nike has the bucks to pull it off but I don't know that it can give Rory the assurances. Can they reproduce equipment for him? Yes and no. It took them forever to find Tiger a driver that he was comfortable with and certainly he has never driven the ball with one of their pieces of equipment the way he did with his old Titleist.

I've been around long enough to see some crashes when players have changed equipment companies - Ernie Els comes quickly to mind.

My gut says Rory stays.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I can see your point Rev. However I also think part of "being the man" as it where is being a global sports icon. No one else in golf has that status but Tiger and that's both because of his record and the Nike machine making it so. If that's what Rory wants, he either goes to Nike or somehow convinces the Fila brass to do the same thing.

At Titleist he'll be a great player, but he'll never "be the man". Titleist has always been about the stable of players and certainly will not put the same marketing dollars to show him off that Nike would for example.

So, IMO, the real question is: Do you want to be the "man" of a stable of players or do you want to be the "man" in global popularity? Figure that out and that'll answer what he does/wants to do pretty quick.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I believe that Tiger was the man because he won. Nike did not have a thing to do with Tiger winning. OK, they provided comfortable shoes, and clothing, they made a ball that he liked, and they paid someone to make clubs for him since they could not. He became a global icon because he won. In the process he gave Nike a leg up in becoming a force in the golf industry.

I can see Nike wanting someone to replace Tiger eventually, but if Nike dropped out of the golf business, no one would have to be rocked to sleep at night. However, if Tiger walked away never to return to the course, Nike would ....have some bricks to sell, Smelly bricks.

While I would say that Nike has made much better equipment of late, I would not say they are better than Titleist. If Rory want to replace Tiger, which obviously he does. He must do this on the golf course. He needs to stick with or go to the company that can help him do that. I do not believe that Nike is that company. TaylorMade perhaps, but then you ask why.

Yes, Nike can offer him big bucks, but if he does not win, he will be another Anthony Kim or Michele Wie.

I can see your point Rev. However I also think part of "being the man" as it where is being a global sports icon. No one else in golf has that status but Tiger and that's both because of his record and the Nike machine making it so. If that's what Rory wants, he either goes to Nike or somehow convinces the Fila brass to do the same thing.

At Titleist he'll be a great player, but he'll never "be the man". Titleist has always been about the stable of players and certainly will not put the same marketing dollars to show him off that Nike would for example.

So, IMO, the real question is: Do you want to be the "man" of a stable of players or do you want to be the "man" in global popularity? Figure that out and that'll answer what he does/wants to do pretty quick.

Titleist isn't going to pay him the big bucks because they don't have to. Their product sells itself. That's why I see Rors moving to a company that'll market him more and ultimately, pay him more. But if it's Nike, he'll be the #2 payroll guy until Tiger retires or leaves.

In The Bag

can anybody please provide even a hint of evidence or sources about a move to Nike? or was this just a conversation starter rumor?

in my opinion it is total bullshit, so until i hear the slightest bit of evidence, it is bullshit.

I can start rumors too.... Hey did you guys hear that Luke Donald is leaving Mizuno for Callaway?

ohh yea and Tiger isnt going anywhere and Nike will always be a top performer in the golf industry.

He became a global icon because he won.

Disagree. Winning in golf doesn't mean squat for being a global sports icon in general and even less so when you don't have the marketing behind you. Look at Gretzky or Sampras. Both were absurdly dominant and neither is even remotely close to Tiger in being a global sports icon because they didn't have that push behind them.

Tiger only hit a blip on the radar because of how much he was winning by sometimes. It wasn't until Nike really cranked up the coverage that people saw how much he was winning and by how much. The winning was a great platform for them to push, since nothing matters in sports marketing like being dominant (see Yankee's, ManU, Real Madrid, Montreal Canadians, etc) but people still need to be able to see that happening. No push from Nike and I doubt even half as many people would have taken notice. Nike themselves is a dominant brand. If Tiger had been with say Lynx that no one outside of golf would have heard of, there wouldn't have been as much outside interest.

Heck, look at Cink. Nice guy but aside from having one really good weekend what has he ever done? At yet, people know who he is above his results because he's with Nike.

Like them or not, their name means something.

Titleist isn't going to pay him the big bucks because they don't have to. Their product sells itself. That's why I see Rors moving to a company that'll market him more and ultimately, pay him more. But if it's Nike, he'll be the #2 payroll guy until Tiger retires or leaves.

Which is precisely the point I was trying to make. Titleist doesn't need Rory and he'll never attain Tiger like status with them. They simply have no reason to pour those types of resources into one player.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Disagree. Winning in golf doesn't mean squat for being a global sports icon in general and even less so when you don't have the marketing behind you. Look at Gretzky or Sampras. Both were absurdly dominant and neither is even remotely close to Tiger in being a global sports icon because they didn't have that push behind them.

Tiger only hit a blip on the radar because of how much he was winning by sometimes.

It wasn't until Nike really cranked up the coverage that people saw how much he was winning and by how much. The winning was a great platform for them to push, since nothing matters in sports marketing like being dominant (see Yankee's, ManU, Real Madrid, Montreal Canadians, etc) but people still need to be able to see that happening. No push from Nike and I doubt even half as many people would have taken notice. Nike themselves is a dominant brand. If Tiger had been with say Lynx that no one outside of golf would have heard of, there wouldn't have been as much outside interest.

Heck, look at Cink. Nice guy but aside from having one really good weekend what has he ever done? At yet, people know who he is above his results because he's with Nike.

Like them or not, their name means something.

Which is precisely the point I was trying to make. Titleist doesn't need Rory and he'll never attain Tiger like status with them. They simply have no reason to pour those types of resources into one player.

Not sometimes. It was the 1997 Masters, Tiger's first year as a pro and he won the Master's by 12. He became an instant global icon. He was the talk of everything that week and he rewrote how golf was played that week. However, had he not followed that up with more wins, he would have been a footnote, not an icon. Had he been a white guy doing it, it would not have made the news past Sunday. But he has done that 16 times.

Name a global sports icon who does not win.

The difference between an icon and a flash in the pan is winning over a long period of time, not sponsorships.

On one hand you have (using golfers)

Nicklaus, Palmer, Sorenstam, Ochoa.

on the other hand you have

Wie, Cink, Kim, Ames, Casey

Does Nike not want the second list of people to be as iconic as Woods and the fist list of people. No they do not have the wins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

According to the AP, as reported on Twitter by Golf Magazine's David Dusek:

McIlroy and Acushnet said Tuesday they will not extend their relationship after this year. Amicable split. No official word on Nike.

So yeah...the Nike thing is happening

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

McIlroy and Acushnet said Tuesday they will not extend their relationship after this year. Amicable split. No official word on Nike.

So is Rory going to play Tigres old clubs? ;)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Not the new addition to Cobra?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

Not the new addition to Cobra?

Rory doesn't fit the Cobra-PUMA mold, I don't think.

Racking my brain trying to figure out how could be next to join the Cobra-PUMA roster...coming up empty. Interesting dynamic during my visit...loose lips on the equipment and other stuff (the app for example), very tight-lipped on the contractual stuff with Tour players. Of course, the latter is where law suits come from.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

Nike's been sitting on 1 solid week in week out "guy" for a number of years now and his name is Tiger. And when Tiger was in his so called slump no one else stepped up. What has Cink done since Watson handed him the British, or Johnny Vegas since his win at the Hope? Lucas Glover anyone? Nike other than Tiger from what I can tell has had a long time history of signing the who's hot today pretty much one hit wonder as of recent. They aren't desperate, but they sure could use someone else to add to they're yearly international men win counts. I think it's fairly safe to say Rory is on his way to the Nike machine, they've got a few bucks kicking around.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I would not be surprised if this happened however. He's young enough and in Puma gear will be hip enough.

Rory isn't going to Puma. He'd never wear their stuff. Not to mention I don't know that they have that kind of cash to be throwing at one guy that's not going to wear and play everything they hand him.

Nike makes the most sense for him, but you never know, TMag loves making big splashes.

As for the next guy at Cobra, I could see Camillo.

In The Bag

Though, for $20,000,000, I'd cross dress!

_______________ ______________ _____________ :P

We have women on the site so I will be kind. You have probably been wearing a dress lately and open in the back. So you get a break.

I heard about it a few hours ago on the news article that there is a possibility of Rory McIlroy signing in to that big company. If that is true, that will be a soothing relief for Nike. I have no idea how Tiger would feel if that happens.

Cobra Long Tom Driver

Callaway Diablo Octane Fairway Wood

Adams Golf Redline 3-4H 5-PW

Nextt CX3 Pearl Copper Wedge

Odyssey Backstryke Sabertooth

Z-Star Gold

Improve your drive by at least 21 yards in 21 days

• SPY VIP

I have no doubt that your cause was far more noble than mine. Me?

I'm just a ho & doin it for the cash, and I gotta be honest, I'd do it for far less than $20,000,000, but I'm not tellin Nike that. Lol

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Um yes I was playing a girl in our IT department, and I look geeeeeewd!

281113_10151063990996525_1639957482_o.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

Apparently Nike got Kyle Stanley and Nick Watney, too. Quite a boost to their roster.

Rumor is that Gary Woodland might be next.

Archived