Siravo82

McIlroy to Nike

Have been reading rumors that Rory could be going to Nike soon. I think if he does it would be a great partnership for both parties. Anyone have any thought on this?

I hope not. Players who switch from what they are used to generally take a year or more to get adjusted to the new equipment. Why would he want to change? Obviously. money is the answer, but right now he is the biggest fish at Titleist and will be, but as long as Tiger is at Nike, Rory or anyone else will be second to him.

However, Nike has deep pockets.

I'm a huge Rory fan. I'll become a huge Rory hater if he goes to Nike. I hate Nike. Couldn't stand looking at my boy wearing the swoosh,

It will happen. He´ll be a Nike player sooner or later, probably already in 2013. They´ll pay him so much more money that it´s not a fair game against Titleist. Nike will make him clubs with whatever specifications he wants.

Nike will stop at nothing to get what they want. I discussed this with a friend today. Nike wanted to sponsor the English national soccer team but they had a contract with Umbro until 2018. Well, England plays with Nike jerseys today. They just bought Umbro and ended the contract with England. And what did they do when they finally got the England contract? Sold Umbro with a loss of course :)

I love Nike. Great company. They have an image of "total golf". These other so called "true" golf companies are owned by Asian conglomerates and are not as pure as on might think. The future of golf depends on companies like Nike, TMag and Cobra Puma. Rory, whoever TaylorMade has and Fowler.

Yeah, after I wrote that I got to thinking, Nike is a big enough pond for a dozen Tigerfishes and Roryfishes. Not only that while initially they made junk, IMHO, they are making pretty good stuff now. It is not like Tiger's and Rory's equipment is terribly different.

I'm a huge Rory fan. I'll become a huge Rory hater if he goes to Nike. I hate Nike. Couldn't stand looking at my boy wearing the swoosh,

Hate Nike based on what? I don't understand why you would hate Nike? Not trying to push anything on anyone I just don't get this comment

While I do like both Nike and Rory I think that this potential signing could be HUGE for both parties! The next biggest golfer in the world and the biggest brand in the world! Deja Vu?

I love Nike. Great company. They have an image of "total golf". These other so called "true" golf companies are owned by Asian conglomerates and are not as pure as on might think. The future of golf depends on companies like Nike, TMag and Cobra Puma. Rory, whoever TaylorMade has and Fowler.

What is that suppposed to mean?

Personally I think if he changes from Titliest to Nike it would be a huge mistake. He is so in grooved with Titliest that changing now would be like taking some one that took care of you good and bad days and smacking them in the face but that business

What is that suppposed to mean?

It means that some companies develop golf as a complete game. They have an interest in everything in the game - clothes, balls, clubs, shoes, bags, players - and in the future probably courses. And most importantly they work hard to make golf more popular, reach new groups of people. I know that it of course is all business, they´re not doing it because they´re nice people that believe in karma.

I´ve often heard that products from especially Titleist, Ping and Mizuno are superior to products from Nike, Cobra Puma and TaylorMade. The reason is supposed to be that the first three are "true" golf companies. That´s just complete nonsense. Nike, Cobra Puma and TaylorMade are capable of producing just as good equipment as any other brand. It´s a question of what your market is.

I think companies like Nike, Cobra Puma and TaylorMade are more open to change in the game of golf. Change the way we look at equipment. Develop new technology. Golf can reach so incredibly many potential new golfers through those brands. If we were stuck with only the "true and pure" companies the game wouldn´t grow and we wouldn´t see the amazing leaps in technology.

I know this probably doesn´t make sense to a lot of people :D I don´t have many friends....... :D

Since Tiger, Nike has given this image of "New Golf" opposed to classic golf, of defying, No Fear attitudes, etc. Titleist in the other hand has tried to keep the image of "sophisticated classic golfing". I don't oppose any of both, and I think Rory being a young aggressive player might be a good choice for Nike to sponsor, but I would prefer him to stay with his smooth swing rather than Swoosh Swing...

Interesting. I'd be surprised if this was more than a rumour, but you can bet some of Nike's marketing money that it is something they've definitely thought about/are thinking about seriously.

I think that Titleist would def like to keep Rory, but not sure they could compete when the trucks of loot roll in.

A Rory/Titleist divorce would be bad for Titleist, not so much for Rory. He's definitely in a powerful position.

I do not know, Titleist has never been about the clubs, or the big name play who use their products. They are all about a couple of hundred small named players who use their ball. You do not see a Titleist commercial with a big name player. You see a Titleist commercial with 15 big and medium named players. Phil, Ernie, Davis, even Tiger have all been Titleist at one point. They all left and were replaced with Rickie, Bubba, Webb and now Bud Cauley.

The names that Titleist needs to keep happy are Bob and Scotty. Those are the names that bring in the dollars. Wedges, putters, shoes and balls are the main elements in Titleist future success. Rory may never win another tournament, BUT I promise you that Bob Vokey wedges will and Scotty Cameron putters will and the Pro V1 (x) will. I would not be surprised it is tomorrow.

Titleist has been masterful at continually upgrading the Pro V1 and keeping the name the same. Not the people who are reading this but the guys at the club do not even realize that they are changing the ball. However, I heard one say a couple of months ago that he has tried several ball and none have ever beaten the Pro V1x. I also heard him say one time about how the older ball had lost some of its properties, when in reality, it is just the old version versus the newer version but he does not care. A Pro V1 is a Pro V1.

I do not see Rory leaving Titleist as bad for Titleist. I see it being worse for Rory short term and mainly because the ball.

There are a few reasons why this *could* make sense.

Whether Titleist would own up to it or not, their recent history has proven to be a feeding ground for other golf companies. Woods, Mickelson, Els, Fowler, they've all left Titleist to sign equipment deals with other companies. Also worth mentioning is that Titleist doesn't really backfill their losses with well established players. Instead, they're more of a developer of talent, and when the guys hit superstar status, many go elsewhere. Sometimes the aging golfers come back.

The future of Titleist, on the endorsement side is guys like Webb Simpson and Jason Duffner, Bud Cauley, and most importantly, the golf ball. The Golf Ball is, and will always be the thing at Titleist. All of that said, Rory is a once in a generation talent, and I don't see Titleist letting him go without a fight (parent company FILA, however, might feel differently).

The idea of Rory jumping to Nike *might* also make sense from the Nike side of things. They like to have the #1 Guy (Duval, Tiger), and they're not afraid to roll the dice every now and again (Michelle Wie...whoops). Bringing Rory into the fold would amount to an acknowledgement of sorts that the Tiger era is over. Regardless of what you think about the man or his game, the guy hasn't moved the equipment needle for Nike for a few years now. The caveat here is that Rory, while probably one of only a handful of guys who have the potential to sell equipment on name alone (as opposed to the numbers game some others play), I'd put him on the bottom of the that list, and I suspect Nike knows that too. My point is that even Nike Golf has but so much money to spend, and so IF Rory, then it probably only happens with a big pay cut for Tiger...which likely means Tiger goes elsewhere.

Side note if you're wondering... Rickie and Bubba...those are the two right now, and I'd rather have Rickie. The guy moves PUMA apparel, and there's more money to be made there than anywhere else in the game.

All of this assumes Rory wants to go to Nike. He's winning with what's in his bag...and Titleist takes very good care of him. As others here have pointed out, and as guys inside the OEMs have told me; these equipment switches are no easy thing, and the money lost as a result of adjusting can easily equal, or exceed the value of an endorsement deal.

But for the sake of argument, if we assume any of this plays out, my guess is Tiger back to Titleist.

And will all of that said...if the end game is to sell more equipment by bringing on a big name...it won't work...at least not well. Yes...some people will buy X club because of one guy, but the pyramid of influence isn't about having one guy any longer. It's that numbers game I talked about. It's about having the #1 (driver, hybrid, ball) in Golf. Widespread popularity is what sells now. TaylorMade figured it out/adjusted first, which is in part, why they're where they are right now.

One final observation...things are extremely quiet at Nike right now. I've been with MGS for 3 years (hardly a lifetime, I know), but in that 3 years, no major golf company has been as quiet as Nike has been since the NG360 launch. Yes...new balls are coming, but otherwise...hardly a whisper, and this one thing more than any other leads me to think the Rory thing probably isn't happening.

It means that some companies develop golf as a complete game. They have an interest in everything in the game - clothes, balls, clubs, shoes, bags, players - and in the future probably courses. And most importantly they work hard to make golf more popular, reach new groups of people. I know that it of course is all business, they´re not doing it because they´re nice people that believe in karma.

I´ve often heard that products from especially Titleist, Ping and Mizuno are superior to products from Nike, Cobra Puma and TaylorMade. The reason is supposed to be that the first three are "true" golf companies. That´s just complete nonsense. Nike, Cobra Puma and TaylorMade are capable of producing just as good equipment as any other brand. It´s a question of what your market is.

I think companies like Nike, Cobra Puma and TaylorMade are more open to change in the game of golf. Change the way we look at equipment. Develop new technology. Golf can reach so incredibly many potential new golfers through those brands. If we were stuck with only the "true and pure" companies the game wouldn´t grow and we wouldn´t see the amazing leaps in technology.

I know this probably doesn´t make sense to a lot of people :D I don´t have many friends....... :D

My question had more to do with your, "Asian" comment.

My question had more to do with your, "Asian" comment.

When I read his comment the first time, and just re read it again, I took that to mean that the parent company of Titleist, Acushnet, Fila, Mirae Asset Group, which I guess makes this not the parent company, but the great grandparent company of Titleist was a corperation that dealt with many other things besides sports equipment and that they were based in Asia. While Nike only does sports equipment and appareal, Mirae's main income comes from other things like financial asset management. Acushnet is run as a seperate entity but its corperate great grand parents do asset management. Nike has no other outside interest other than sports. The "Asian" comment I did not take as a slam or a slur any more than if he would have said that Nike was an American Company or Royal Bank of Scottland or Mercedes or BMW are European companies.

Keep in mind that Furu was the one who said it and he is European. So for him to say Asian, America or whatever it can be just as easily geographic rather than any other issue.

When I read his comment the first time, and just re read it again, I took that to mean that the parent company of Titleist, Acushnet, Fila, Mirae Asset Group, which I guess makes this not the parent company, but the great grandparent company of Titleist was a corperation that dealt with many other things besides sports equipment and that they were based in Asia. While Nike only does sports equipment and appareal, Mirae's main income comes from other things like financial asset management. Acushnet is run as a seperate entity but its corperate great grand parents do asset management. Nike has no other outside interest other than sports. The "Asian" comment I did not take as a slam or a slur any more than if he would have said that Nike was an American Company or Royal Bank of Scottland or Mercedes or BMW are European companies.

Keep in mind that Furu was the one who said it and he is European. So for him to say Asian, America or whatever it can be just as easily geographic rather than any other issue.

Thats just funny to me because Ive heard many people accusing Nike of being bad for the game because they are a general sports company, not a golf-specific company.

Thats just funny to me because Ive heard many people accusing Nike of being bad for the game because they are a general sports company, not a golf-specific company.

Its funny because Mizuno is known world wide for its Volleyball and Judo equipment rather than its golf clubs for example and no one can say they are inferior to anything, but people just don't know about that.

Nike is "new" to golf compared to other brands, but no other company can invest as much money on golf as Nike. Saying Nike clubs can't compare to Titleist or TM is absurd. Yes, they look awful and the graphic designers should be shot one by one, but performance wise, they are just as good as any "big" brand in golf