Siravo82

McIlroy to Nike

Here's a pic of Miura set 681's Titleist just for reference:

post-64817-1224374319-1_zpsd743c8f5.jpg

When these were Brand New the T and numbers would have a RED paint fill. Versus the Hoffman 2500 sets made which would just have the 681T and be done in black. Also if anyone can say that these were just rebadged Mizzy's they are insane. No similarities at all other then they are both blades. Because the next story was that Nike just took these 681's which were of course Mizuno's and Nike stole everyones designs. Every Nike blade I have owned and there was in fact sets from same year that had different fonts and head shapes and size. Most were not released and only made for certain players ie.... Tiger, D. D. were the first sets that I noticed were different then their retail counterpart. I in fact still have one of David Duvals Proto Nike 3 irons. I've been in search for the whole set but have had no luck as of yet in finding this set. I'm sure there were several sest made for D.D.

PS: sorry for getting side tracked just brought back some old memories.

Whom do I believe? The writer of that article, or the man swinging the clubs? Tiger says he's never used a Miura forging, nor never met him.

Tiger Woods' Titleist 681T's

tigerwoodstitleist.jpg

Tiger's Nike Blade Variations:

(you can barely see what I'm getting at with the first pic)

tw-blades.jpg

TigerWoods_1.jpg

Miura Irons:

501-cb-51.jpg

m5EDWQfAjtn3AA7SsdvkBtA.jpg

Now, look at some of the others that Miura has forged for manufacturers, such as TMag with the Lehman 300 boxtoes, etc. The iron number stampings are all identical in every one I've seen, and all have Miura iron number stampings. They're characteristics of Miura's forgings(especially the #5 and #7). Tiger's don't match. So unless he did something completely different with Tiger's irons that he's yet to do with any other professional's, and Tiger is lying, and so is Tom Stites... Well, you get what I'm driving at.

Tim got into the history quicker than I did, lol, but we're both on the same page with where we were going, he just typed more than I did, and I used pics because I took the easy way out.

Look at any Miura iron that was manufactured for a company not named Miura golf. The iron number stampings are all the same. I gave you an example, Tom Lehman's TMag 300 Boxtoes. They have the same 5 and 7 commonalities with all Miura forgings. Why would Miura do this on every iron he ever made except for Tiger's?

Also, if you didn't notice, Tim is also the WITB mod for the PGA winner WITB area. He deals with this a lot, as he also sells tour issued equipment. There is a common rumor out there that Miura did Tiger's irons. Tiger says no, Tom Stites says no, Miura has never said yes, anywhere, in print.

The quote you've provided isn't from Miura, it's from Bill Holowaty.

The 681's that Miura reportedly did for Titleist were all numbered, every one, just like in Tim's picture. And they all had a red T, not black. Ask anywhere you'd like on and of the JDM golf boards, all of the JDM only guys will tell you the same thing as well.

Danno, I'm talkin early Titleist, I have no idea about his Nike shtick, so RB can pontificate about that all nite and post some more pics. LOL

Fairways & Greens 4ever

No I gotcha there. Just putting my 2 cents in on the Nike stuff. I can't add much more to the detail you guys provide, but wow you guys make for a good read.

Yep, I never bought the Mizzy rebadging angle for this very reason. They just didn't look that similar. Regarding Miura, the combination of Torque's reputation(stellar++) & Miura's reputation(like most Japanese companies) for approving EVERY SINGLE WORD that appears in any article or advertisement that represents them, and I whole heartedly(obviously..lol) believe that they forged the irons in question.

Regarding Stites, he only speaks of a Nike/Miura relationship, I'm speaking of Titleist, so to bring him into the equation is apples & oranges & proves nothing(or disproves) at least nothing in my statements, just as the pictures prove nothing .

And regarding Tiger and his "word," his word isn't worth the the time that it takes to speak it. LOL. If Tiger said the sky was blue, I'd go outside to check. Every time.

And do you notice the one thing that you, me or anyone else has never ever seen, either in the written word, or heard in an interview, and that is a denial from Miura. Never. Miura did their job, and they did it well. That's why Titlest/Tiger chose them. End of discussion.....

So when I see a written statement(the Torque article/advertisement) that stands the test of time, and it represents one of THE most respected companies, and men(Miura-San) in the industry, and he or Miura never issues a comment either confirming or denying the validity of the comments coming from the "other" side, well guys, that's one of those 2 + 2= ? equations.

Though I will say RB, ya put some really pretty pictures up. LOL

And Dan, please give my best to the Mrs. She definitely has been a great addition to the forum! Ya did Great Bro! :-)

The Best

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I don't dispute that Miura made 500 sets of 681's. The fact I dispute is one of those were in Tiger's bag. The Miura made Titleists are individually numbered, all of them have the T stamp in red, not black. And we're not talking about Tiger's sex life, which is all he's ever lied about (and honestly, what sane person that's cheating on their spouse wouldn't lie). When Tiger was with Titleist, the only company actively seeking and using Miura for their forgings was TMag.

By the way, the Titleists that Miura forged? They were produced in 2003 and were based off of Tiger's 681's.

I bet you also believe that Scotty Cameron milled his putter that he used to win every major (including the TeI3 Sole Stamp in his first Masters)? He didn't, the only thing Scotty had to do with it was his name being on it. At the time both of those putters were made, Robert J. Bettinardi was the man on the mill at Scotty Cameron.

Oh man so much here where to start -

I'll keep it simple - should Rory have no trouble with the equipment change because Nike is fully capable of fitting him perfectly - of course - there should be no trouble making the change. But some have because golf is a game where those five stinkin lousy inches make a huge difference - who knows what happens there. Rory seems like a guy with that part of the act together but who knows what creeps in after a few wayward shots (they happen regardless of equipment.)

My bet is that Rory does fine but if he doesn't the pressure will mount and fast.

Johnny Miller was an amazing iron player during that span - it's very hard to describe to anyone who didn't see it but it was remakable - yardage to the foot rather than the yard and all that - when he was on (often - almost always) he was unstopable.

But I always thought his issues occured because of the wood chopping, at least that's what he blamed - it set any thought of lifting weights or strength training for golf back another generation - Tiger has put an end to that myth.

Oh as to why - lots and lots of money - while 99 percent of us think what's the difference between 10 mil and 100 mil there is a difference to the guy who has the 10 and the guy who has the 100 - consider this year's election where the guy with 10 talks like the common man - no political bent should be construed from that comment just an observation.

For the record, I love Miller. He's the sole reason I get to watch golf at home. My wife thinks 85% of the things he says are so perposterous or phrased in such an english language destroying manner, that she sits there and mocks it constantly. Or you know, sits there poleaxed due to a really good doozy before launching a tirade.

Win win frankly.

I get to watch golf and watch my gorgeous wife, who's really cute when she's annoyed, talk about stupid sayings at the same time.

I love this game.

Miller may be into hyperbole but I'd rather take the man for his word (he isn't Tiger:)). The MCs and less wins could be so many other things. Putting slump, bad balls (Macgregors?), nagging injuries. The man owned his swing furing his prime. He says he stopped owning it after the chopping. Of course he could be doing a Venturi and finding fault in something else.