Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Advancements in Equipment Technology

Ice

I friend and I were having a discussion about jobs designing golf clubs and what the future of that career field is. It quickly morphed into a discussion about how much farther we can take golf clubs and make them "better."

The vast majority of drivers put out today are at the USGA limits for MOI, COR, head volume ("players" drivers excluded), and other techy numbers. If we're gonna get truly better with these big guys it has to be at the shaft. Be honest, are the offerings from 2012 really better than that of the past or is it marketing and hype, etc... that make us come back? Are drivers is 5 years going to be technologically better and still gonna be "17 yards longer" than the previous model?

Fairway metals are evolving in the sole technology department but other than that are similar to drivers. Old ones are often even better than modern ones.

Hybrids were IMO one of the best revolutions in golf equipment history. Faces are getting hotter, sole technology improving, and becoming more "forgiving." But again how much farther can it be taken within the rules?

Irons. Players irons are never going to change. If it's "forgiving" it's really not a players iron. Meanwhile, SGI irons are getting more and more "forgiving" and GI irons are getting more and more "driver-like." How much more forgiving and soft and workable can they get?

Wedges always have and always will be evolving. Last year the ATV was unheard of technology. Heck in five years we'll probably have curved face wedges or something.

Putters... I can't think of a feasible putter head design that hasn't been thought of yet. If you need something more forgiving that what is out there now you need a lesson not a new putter. New inserts will come out that may or may not be giving you "truer" roll than before. If the putter fits your eye and has been properly fit, it comes down to your skills with the flatstick.

The USGA is already investigating limited flight golf balls and scaling back that department. Balls aren't gonna get a ton better than we have now.

In 10 years, what do you think golf equipment will look like? Assuming no changes to current rules, can it get better? Will golf club designers have techy jobs or will it simply be who can make the prettiest club and market the best?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I think that the technology in most clubs won't be that much or any better than the clubs today. I think a lot of stuff that changes in today's equipment is the looks and maybe a small tweak or two. I don't think the drivers will go that much farther because in reality, what goes farther? A driver with the latest technology but not fit to your specs or an older driver that's fitted for you. Fairway woods will eventually max out, they have had good advancements lately but that won't go on for that long. I agree that hybrids are seeing good improvements and that will continue. Wedges are relatively the same except for groove technology obviously, that will continue to change. Irons will keep getting chunkier and weirder looking in the GI category but for forged irons, they will stay relatively the same. Putters will probably continue to be tested in different shapes, materials, etc. The only thing to do is sit back and see where technology takes us.

All I am taking time to address tonight is the shafts. Typing on an iPhone in bed so I will be brief. Yes. 2012 shafts are that much better. They now have high launch low spin shafts that were previously unavailable. I received one yesterday and installed it in the driver and will do a review next week on it but the first time that it kicked I thought that the head flew off. It scared me so much that I tried to stop mid swing ala Tiger because I thought it broke.

Two weeks ago I put a 2012 shaft in a 2005 driver and got the same performance with the old driver as I was with a new one. It has been too windy to get an accurate distance with the new shaft but today I drove as far into a 17mph wind as I previously did with no wind.

Forgiveness and being able to adjust the club to your personal needs are the only real improvements I see in clubs but shafts are changing by leaps and bounds.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

It will a be matter of what parameters can R&D change that can affect characteristics like trajectory and spin, the finding if those parameters can change the game for some players.

To give an example the modern trend of high launch low spin, yet there are major swingspeed guys needing to lower their trajectory with the new clubs. So they try every shaft in the book which lowers spin which is not the design purpose of the head anyway:)

More like getting the options closer to the golfer, mwt, face angle technology is a start along that road. The new Cobra that can change loft 3 degrees without changing face angle would have been useful to the guy wanting to hit it lower in that other thread. Switch his 10.5 driver to 8.5 before teeing off.

I think the next big thing will be clubs with "dead" center spots to keep balls from flying long when a player accidentally hits it there combined with super hot perimeters to maximize off center strikes. Because there is nothing more frustrating than accidentally catching one clean. . .

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Excellent topic and post Ice.

The technology we see in AMP Cell driver and fw can lead to a change in how we use shafts. When we only need one head it wouldn´t surprise me if becomes normal to test and buy different shafts. I know most of us online golfers do this now, but the "normal, average" golfer doesn´t know anything about all the possibilities out there. I know that interchangeable shafts have been around for a while, but the introduction of 5-6 drivers in one head could lead to more interest in new shafts.

Irons can improve. Like you say Ice, not the traditional clubs but GI and absolutely SGI. Speed pocket/velocity slot in irons and better trampoline effect on the face. Better shafts, many SGI and Gi clubs have terrible, cheap steel shafts.

I'd love to see a company like Mizuno or Bridgestone (ones that aren't all about marketing distance, etc...) step out of the box and do something that might actually help bad golfers and yet still sell their clubs. If Mizuno got every single one of their PGA teaching pros on board to give a free hour lesson one week before, and then a fitting for a set of irons. Pay for the irons first, go do the lesson and fitting, then get your irons and get refunded or pay the difference from what was initially paid. Some might be so impressed with the results they come back for another lesson. Or GOlf Galaxy could go on TV and instead of telling you how long the RocketBallz is, offer a free driver specific lesson with the purchase of a fitting and driver...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

It will a be matter of what parameters can R&D change that can affect characteristics like trajectory and spin, the finding if those parameters can change the game for some players.

To give an example the modern trend of high launch low spin, yet there are major swingspeed guys needing to lower their trajectory with the new clubs. So they try every shaft in the book which lowers spin which is not the design purpose of the head anyway:)

More like getting the options closer to the golfer, mwt, face angle technology is a start along that road. The new Cobra that can change loft 3 degrees without changing face angle would have been useful to the guy wanting to hit it lower in that other thread. Switch his 10.5 driver to 8.5 before teeing off.

There are tons of low launch - low spin shafts have been availible for a very long time such as the Rombax, Proforce, and Devotion even the Diamana Whiteboard. There are also many different high launch - high spin shafts such as Fubuki Alpha, Bassara, and Axivcore Black. It seems that launch and spin are by and large a fucntion of the tip. High launch is almost always accompanied by high spin. A low launch - high spin shaft and a high launch - low spin shaft are not something that was possible a few years ago.

Today the Graphite Design Tour ADDI is high launch - low spin shaft as is the Talamonti shaft that I use. As a matter of fact I have both these shafts. This is an area where I see the most advances in the coming years. However, I do not seriously see a single breakthrough that will gain significant yardage, other than being properly fit if what you are using now is not properly fit.

What I'm saying is most head designs out there right now are only designed for one purpose, high launch and low spin. Thereby necessating people that don't need it to look for niche products i.e. Adams Long Drive heads. Newer products that can dramatically alter CoG without having to change heads (like maybe having mwt be changed vertically and not just horizontically) could be an option so that guys don't have necessarily have to go to shafts with extremely high bendpoints and stiff tops, to retain some ease of loading and good feel.

It may not be as a big demand because generally it is the bigger hitters that will need that lower launch and lower spin. It could also help hack like me who are high spin even though SS is only in the mid 90s because of a miss that is steep. It would nice to have the option of MWT-high CoG head to mess with for changing conditions.

What I'm saying is most head designs out there right now are only designed for one purpose, high launch and low spin. Thereby necessating people that don't need it to look for niche products i.e. Adams Long Drive heads. Newer products that can dramatically alter CoG without having to change heads (like maybe having mwt be changed vertically and not just horizontically) could be an option so that guys don't have necessarily have to go to shafts with extremely high bendpoints and stiff tops, to retain some ease of loading and good feel.

It may not be as a big demand because generally it is the bigger hitters that will need that lower launch and lower spin. It could also help hack like me who are high spin even though SS is only in the mid 90s because of a miss that is steep. It would nice to have the option of MWT-high CoG head to mess with for changing conditions.

We are talking about advances in technology. It does not matter if this benefits you or not, but a high launching low spinning shaft is a major breakthrough. You can only do so much with the head.

I would also say that this is not a low demand item. The Blur and the Motore F1 are two of the more common shaft in the Taylormade drivers. These are high launch - low spin shafts.

I agree the high launch low spin was a breakthrough. In fact I mentioned somewhere in this forum that the advantage of the higher CoR drivers during the .86 vs .83 brouhahah was the ability to launch the same with lower spin.

We are discussing other possible other advancements that can stem from current technology. I proposed the advancement is the ability to change vertical CoG. Why would you want the ability to change CoG.....Again in the windy day thread one possibility is changing loft, Cobra is doing this without changing face angle. Another is changing CoG without having to change loft. Given modern R&D if it is possible to design a club like that why not give it to the customer as an option?

I agree the F1 is a low launcher and plays stiff, the Blur not so much.

The Motore in the TM stock shafts are nowhere near the F1, the F1 is an upgrade or I think a TP (+$100) shaft. I've only tried the after market Blur and not the TM stock Blur so i cannot comment on that one.

The Motore in the TM stock shafts are nowhere near the F1, the F1 is an upgrade or I think a TP (+$100) shaft. I've only tried the after market Blur and not the TM stock Blur so i cannot comment on that one.

I have just seen the F1 with the TMag paint scheme in some R11's. I have no idea if they are upgrades or not but they are not the red with yellow smoke that the aftermarket F1's are. I did not ask the guy who was gaming it if he upgraded.

I bought into the silly arguement that you can change your club for different weather conditions with the first adjustable club. The Callaway FT5 imix and later the FT9. The reason I say this is silly is because you can not change during the round. It has been my experience that most of the time when you have to drive into the wind on one hole, but the wind is behind you on the next hole or the one after that. So if you have your driver set up to fly low, you are not taking advantage of the wind when behind you. Also, golf is hard enough with changing course conditions. When you start changing your clubs you are simply adding more variables to the equation.

The clubs should be set up to give you the optimal ball flight for your swing, period. As the course conditions change, you should adapt you set up accordingly. I had different shafts for different types of weather. Heck, I have enough clubs to change complete sets when the weather changes, and have tried this. The simple truth is, it is too much change just because the ground is wet or the wind is blowing or, I shutter to think, both. If you want ultimate carry because of wet ground, you want to have a high ball flight. If you want to stay below the wind you want a lower ball flight. What do you want when it is wet and windy?

I now have the R11 driver. I got that because I wanted to find my best launch angle. However, with the current shaft, it turns out that I do not have to adjust anything. I have no intention of moving this around based on conditions. I would just about have the screw worn out if I did that. I have had it for two weeks and in that time it has been, hot with no wind, hot and windy, wet and windy, wet with no wind and cold and windy, and cold, wet and windy.

Shafts and head combination are equal in my book as far as importance. This is why when I reviewed the Callaway Razr Fit in March, I also included the GD Tour ADDI 7 also. Unfortunately, I also butt trimmed this shaft and then my swing speed increased so that I needed to tip the shaft, but it is a heck of a 3 wood shaft now.

I guess different styles then. On a windy day I would set a driver on low flight (by loft or if possible by CoG).

Even if I don't get to take advantage of holes with the wind I would make sure I wouldn't be affected as much on holes into the wind. I have had times that with the wind/added distance got me into trouble because of the unpredictability.

Hybrids were IMO one of the best revolutions in golf equipment history. Faces are getting hotter, sole technology improving, and becoming more "forgiving." But again how much farther can it be taken within the rules?

Agreed, but hybrids are hardly new. Plus, the faces getting hotter is a two edged sword and also not that new. The "secret" is the use of the metal for the face. Carpenter steel allows for very small face to still have high COR. However, many hybrids still use steel faces so the distance between the hybrid and irons doesn't create a huge gap.

Irons. Players irons are never going to change. If it's "forgiving" it's really not a players iron. Meanwhile, SGI irons are getting more and more "forgiving" and GI irons are getting more and more "driver-like." How much more forgiving and soft and workable can they get?

I disagree. While some are made to be unforgiving, the companies have learned how to make a blade more forgiving, specifically by shortening the hosel or differently shaped muscle in the back.

Wedges always have and always will be evolving. Last year the ATV was unheard of technology. Heck in five years we'll probably have curved face wedges or something.

ATV is using multiple grinds right? Scor's been on this for a while. I agree this is a great advance in technology. I really need to try it sometime.

Putters... I can't think of a feasible putter head design that hasn't been thought of yet. If you need something more forgiving that what is out there now you need a lesson not a new putter. New inserts will come out that may or may not be giving you "truer" roll than before. If the putter fits your eye and has been properly fit, it comes down to your skills with the flatstick.

I really do think the Ping's sight line on the Nome stands out above the rest, so much so TM copied it with their new Spider S putter. The technology for putter fittings has greatly improved over the past few years too.

I don't see huge changes in the next ten years, but the clubs from 10 years ago are vastly inferior to what we have today. I will say I think Tim and the folks from USPG golf shafts have really come up with something special with their Black Ops line. It's not cheap, but I'd say for feel and consistency, it's a pretty big step above many others on the market today.

I believe in 10 years or less major manufacturers are going to create Non-Conforming equipment to the United States Market. A lot of them already create these offerings for the non-us market. When one brave or desperate manufacturer steps up and brings the N/C equipment to the States, everybody will follow.

-Ryan

logo.jpg

Email: [email protected]

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

I believe in 10 years or less major manufacturers are going to create Non-Conforming equipment to the United States Market. A lot of them already create these offerings for the non-us market. When one brave or desperate manufacturer steps up and brings the N/C equipment to the States, everybody will follow.

-Ryan

Good point. I agree. Isn´t non-conforming very popular in Japan? I think they way we play golf will change in the future and non-conforming equipment could be a part of this.

Very interesting thread - how about the advances in club fitting do to superior technology. When I went for my Mizuno fitting there was a device that Mizuno has placed on the shaft of the club to measure certain factors in the iron swing - this translates to a better clubhead/shaft fit or at least it should.

I think it's going to be easier and easier for the average player to have a reasonably good fitting.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Agreed, but hybrids are hardly new. Plus, the faces getting hotter is a two edged sword and also not that new. The "secret" is the use of the metal for the face. Carpenter steel allows for very small face to still have high COR. However, many hybrids still use steel faces so the distance between the hybrid and irons doesn't create a huge gap.

Those who don't sell many hybrids will soon start using titanium, longer shafts, speed slots, etc... to make theirs longer and therefore sell more because distance sells.

I disagree. While some are made to be unforgiving, the companies have learned how to make a blade more forgiving, specifically by shortening the hosel or differently shaped muscle in the back.

If it's forgiving though it isn't a true blade. You might be giving people a false sense of being good at golf by using blades that aren't true blades but come on... blade and unforgiving are synonymous.

ATV is using multiple grinds right? Scor's been on this for a while. I agree this is a great advance in technology. I really need to try it sometime.

SCOR uses the V-sole which is honestly a fairly common grind. Cleveland even does it stock now (588 RTG or CG15 DSG) ATVs are a whole new breed. If you haven't seen one in hand it's hard to explain. Look at one and you'll see. Try one and you'll know.

I really do think the Ping's sight line on the Nome stands out above the rest, so much so TM copied it with their new Spider S putter. The technology for putter fittings has greatly improved over the past few years too.

TM got it right with the Corza. It's my favorite modern big mallet. The three sight lines are great. I really like the DART from Odyssey too. It's a freaking huge alignment line compared to most. The NOME as a whole didn't do it for me. Maybe it's just that I hate PING's milling pattern of straight across the face so I can't have confidence in the putter.

I don't see huge changes in the next ten years, but the clubs from 10 years ago are vastly inferior to what we have today. I will say I think Tim and the folks from USPG golf shafts have really come up with something special with their Black Ops line. It's not cheap, but I'd say for feel and consistency, it's a pretty big step above many others on the market today.

Agreed on the 10 years ago thing. Modern 3 woods are the drivers of then. I'm intrigued by USPG. I've never heard of them before MGS. I wish I could try one somewhere.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Those who don't sell many hybrids will soon start using titanium, longer shafts, speed slots, etc... to make theirs longer and therefore sell more because distance sells.

The speed slot is a good example of new technology, I had forgotten about that.

If it's forgiving though it isn't a true blade. You might be giving people a false sense of being good at golf by using blades that aren't true blades but come on... blade and unforgiving are synonymous.

Yeah, I should have clarified, a blade is never that forgiving, but today's blade are much more forgiving than blades of 10 years ago. Their primary goal is consistency since the player's swing is assumed to be good, so I'm even willing to bet new blades are more consistent than before, but that's just an assumption on my part.

SCOR uses the V-sole which is honestly a fairly common grind. Cleveland even does it stock now (588 RTG or CG15 DSG) ATVs are a whole new breed. If you haven't seen one in hand it's hard to explain. Look at one and you'll see. Try one and you'll know.

I'll have to give it a shot. I've never looked at the ATVs with any serious consideration.

TM got it right with the Corza. It's my favorite modern big mallet. The three sight lines are great. I really like the DART from Odyssey too. It's a freaking huge alignment line compared to most. The NOME as a whole didn't do it for me. Maybe it's just that I hate PING's milling pattern of straight across the face so I can't have confidence in the putter.

I guess that's an improvement in of itself, the quantity of different types of putters out there. There are so many designs that appeal to different people, what one person thinks is a great improvement doesn't ever translate to everyone liking it.

Agreed on the 10 years ago thing. Modern 3 woods are the drivers of then. I'm intrigued by USPG. I've never heard of them before MGS. I wish I could try one somewhere.

I believe they're stocked at PGA superstores. I don't have one near me, so I can't speak from personal experience as to how hard they are to try. There are a ton of reviews on this site and they do offer your money back if you're willing to shell out the cash up front, which isn't cheap.

The speed slot is a good example of new technology, I had forgotten about that.

TaylorMade/Adams V4 hybrids are supposed to be the shiznit of VSs now. I want to try them so bad. I see the VST going so far.

Yeah, I should have clarified, a blade is never that forgiving, but today's blade are much more forgiving than blades of 10 years ago. Their primary goal is consistency since the player's swing is assumed to be good, so I'm even willing to bet new blades are more consistent than before, but that's just an assumption on my part.

Everything is more consistent now regarding manufacturing tolerances. I'd like to see Callaway make perfect the RXMB design. I like that one a lot.

I'll have to give it a shot. I've never looked at the ATVs with any serious consideration.

I laughed at them when when I first saw it. Then I went ahead and tried one for a week. Then I bought.

I guess that's an improvement in of itself, the quantity of different types of putters out there. There are so many designs that appeal to different people, what one person thinks is a great improvement doesn't ever translate to everyone liking it.

Agreed. You could take a sample of 50 golfers, eliminate Anser style putters, and see 50 completely unique designs. And 50 unique preferences for shape and alignment lines.

I believe they're stocked at PGA superstores. I don't have one near me, so I can't speak from personal experience as to how hard they are to try. There are a ton of reviews on this site and they do offer your money back if you're willing to shell out the cash up front, which isn't cheap.

None of those near me. I just looked up their shafts on their website. Prices aren't too bad if you don't buy the head with it.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Good point. I agree. Isn´t non-conforming very popular in Japan? I think they way we play golf will change in the future and non-conforming equipment could be a part of this.

I don't think non-conforming is "popular" in Japan. JDM Manufacturers very extremely rarely make them anymore because why would you make equipment to help you cheat? There are still a few boutique/small companies that will make a limited release non-conforming model. I know of none from major OEMs.

I think the perception is still there because there are drivers still available practically new on places like ebay that sell "non-conforming" Japanese drivers. 90% of those were made pre 2008 (?). Previous to that date these drivers were legal for play in any country governed by the R&A, not just Japan.

The Japanese still advertise their drivers as being advancements in distance, given that the ads are mostly in Japanese I could see how these ads could be construed as trying to sell drivers that exceed the legal limit.

For it to be mainstream/popular it would have to be first made conforming/legal again. Otherwise imagine all the DQs in tournaments.

Despite all the sandbaggers and cheats in this game, most everyone still plays by the rules.

I don't think non-conforming is "popular" in Japan. JDM Manufacturers very extremely rarely make them anymore because why would you make equipment to help you cheat? There are still a few boutique/small companies that will make a limited release non-conforming model. I know of none from major OEMs.

Popular in this context is relative. I have the impression that it´s more popular there than other places. Non-conforming is non-existent here.

We shouldn´t underestimate how many golfers that play for fun and don´t care about trampoline and cc.

Popular in this context is relative. I have the impression that it´s more popular there than other places. Non-conforming is non-existent here.

We shouldn´t underestimate how many golfers that play for fun and don´t care about trampoline and cc.

I guess if you use popular, because they have a few products versus non being sold here I guess that would work.

IMHO the non-conforming market and products for that market does not exist in the US because even before the .86 vs .83 CoR debate, the limit in the USGA jurisdiction was already .83. Even before the rollback of the .86 drivers to .83 conformance, .86 CoR drivers were already illegal for play in the US.

No manufacturer had intentionally made US domestic products that were .86 CoR, except for that snafu by TM with the XD series without the score lines (they were expecting the US to go to .86 instead of the rest of the world heading down to .83)and the Callaway/Arnold Palmer "in your face to the USGA" with the ERC II. Unless of course that manufacturer was intentionally marketing "cheating" drivers at the time. Not a popular stand I would think (see Callaway/Palmer backlash for the "golf for fun" ERCII campaign).

The golfers that play for fun I would think don't care for the extra 5-10 yards if it comes at another $200-300. The real market for the drivers that are non-conforming are the guys that are really looking for that "edge".

How about golf bags, push carts, and accessories for the two? I'm a huge fan of Ogio's Recoil bag, but it's too heavy weighting in at 8 lbs. If they could take that same design and make it 5, I'd love it. I'm anxious to see if Clicgear releases a 4.0 too.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

How about golf bags, push carts, and accessories for the two? I'm a huge fan of Ogio's Recoil bag, but it's too heavy weighting in at 8 lbs. If they could take that same design and make it 5, I'd love it. I'm anxious to see if Clicgear releases a 4.0 too.

Now that you mention it. I now have lightweight shoes that are a lot more durable and stable than shoes that I was wearing 7-8 years ago.

Shirts. I don't think I can ever wear a non dri-fit type material ever again for golf.

Tech outside of clubs is also definitely improving.

Different balls, better shafts and spin manipulation in the club head for actual performance is where I can still see advancements. Otherwise I think customization is really going to be it.

If I can't get one iron with a hotter face and more control then any other the two points of differentiation is selling point and looks. Something around the same price but that lets you say, choose your head colour, ferrule colour, grip colour and head colour with or without stamping I think will be next. I don't envy the logistics guys when Sales wants to do that though. It would be an utter nightmare.

I laughed at them when when I first saw it. Then I went ahead and tried one for a week. Then I bought.

Fair enough. Meanwhile, I thought it was the worst wedge I've tried in the last 3 years. Trying to make it do everything, means it does nothing well unless you're an extreme digger. But my unhappiness with this club is pretty well documented so I'll leave off.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Better grass seed that can withstand dry summers. It will grow slower for less mowing, require less water, and make fairways faster.

A glove that actually lasts a long time that isn't thick or gets slick after a few days.

NFC (Near Field Communication) type apps that accurately read face angle, swing speed, AoA, smash factor, spin. Basically, Your smart phone will have an NFC type chip and your gear will just need a bar code printed on it or stuck on it. The bar code could be seriously small. The ball, club face, your hat, feet and glove will have just a little sticker on them and the phone will use NFC tech to give info.

NFC is coming soon. It's the tech that will allow people to pay for retail stuff wirelessly with their smartphone. Just step up to the counter and say your name. You won't even need to take your phone out of your pocket. The clerk will see your pic and OK the transaction... something like that.

I spy with my little eye something...

Now that you mention it. I now have lightweight shoes that are a lot more durable and stable than shoes that I was wearing 7-8 years ago.

Shirts. I don't think I can ever wear a non dri-fit type material ever again for golf.

Tech outside of clubs is also definitely improving.

OMG shirts. I have bought some dry fit shirts for the first time in April of 2007. I know because my wife came to visit me in May of 2007 and has not left yet. We celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary at the end of this month. I still wear these shirts, and they still look as good today as the did 200 washes ago. I mean, yeah, the functionality of the stay dry, the light weight, the style, the comfort, and all that but come on. I have shirts that are 5 years freaking old and they have not faded, or shrunk, or worn to the point that they should not be worn in public. They have not been stained, nothing. Ok the red one has faded some but not that you can tell unless you compare the inside and the outside. I have a bunch of these now, probably 14 or 15, but the original 4 shirts are still in the rotation.

I also have some pants that are "Stay Dry" where they spread the sweat out and are moisture wicking. I did learn last winter that you did not want to wear these when the ground was wet. Every time I walked through the rough the bottom of the pants got wet. Due to the "Wicking" material they were made of the water spread out to dry. However, with the next step they got wet again, way before the water had a chance to evaporate. They got wetter with the next step. By the time I made the turn, these pants were soaked from the knee down. After 18 holes, I looked like I had been seining for minnows and had been on the deep end. I had water running down my legs and my shoes, waterproof normally, were wet from the inside out.

I have no idea where the technology will lead on clothing but it is so far from where it was 10 years ago it is unreal.

Archived