Ice

New Release from Taylormade Official

Damn I hate TM. I'm probably going to have to try the Tour version when they come out after seeing they have normal lofts, which I found far more shocking than the speed slot. I'm pretty sure many people were saying last year this is exactly what they would do.

Here at GlobalGolf, we've been struggling to keep up all the new info coming out today about these new clubs.

We have them for pre-sale beginning today, but they won't be shipping till 11/30.

New TaylorMade RocketBladez irons - our product page has more info and presale information.

Tony's writeup here on the main site is outstanding though... lots of great info and pics galore. My favorites are the real-life cross-section pics showing the RBZ irons vs. the RocketBladez.

They're website is all sorts of screwed up right now, but I found a link to the Tour version. The PW has a normal loft, but the 5i is just jacked up nearly 2*

http://taylormadegolf.com/TaylorMade/RocketBladez-Tour-Irons/DW-JN938,en_US,pd.html

Here are the normal bladez

http://taylormadegolf.com/TaylorMade/RocketBladez-Irons/DW-JN933,en_US,pd.html

Just like how everyone now call an Anser style putter a blade......only 8802 styles or maybe even Bullseyes are blades. Those Anser style are heel toe weighted putters!

Oh it's so true, the kids these days have no clue what a real blade is. I agree unless your putter is an 8802 style it's not a true blade. Whenever I see something with the plumbers neck etc I still call it Anser style.

I just wish they'd stop lying to the public about their golf clubs. Tell people that the real reason you hit the TM 6 iron further than Company X's 6 iron is because the TM one is actually a 4 1/2 iron! The lofts on these clubs are ridiculous!

I just wish they'd stop lying to the public about their golf clubs. Tell people that the real reason you hit the TM 6 iron further than Company X's 6 iron is because the TM one is actually a 4 1/2 iron! The lofts on these clubs are ridiculous!

I get your point, but I'm not sure you can really call it lying. Specs are clearly available, and tolerances aside, the clubs are what they manufacturers say they are. At some point the consumer needs to hold some accountability for what they ultimately purchase.

And not for anything...there is something real that happens at a psychological level when you're hitting a 7 instead of a 6...even when you know better.

My favorites are the real-life cross-section pics showing the RBZ irons vs. the RocketBladez.

Agreed, it's pretty slick.

Callaway did the same thing last year or the year before I believe when they were showing off the Razr Hawk, at least locally. They had a chopped open Diablo, FT9 and FT IZ to show off against the Razr Hawk.

I get your point, but I'm not sure you can really call it lying. Specs are clearly available, and tolerances aside, the clubs are what they manufacturers say they are. At some point the consumer needs to hold some accountability for what they ultimately purchase.

And not for anything...there is something real that happens at a psychological level when you're hitting a 7 instead of a 6...even when you know better.

I'm the LAST guy who's going to say that jacking up lofts is ok (hell, I wrote this mega rant about it), but T is right: golfers are stupid and have the unbelievable ability to block out everything but the number on the club.

My dad is a perfect example. For YEARS I've been telling him about jacked up lofts, longer shafts, etc, to try to make him understand why his buddies are "longer" than him. If anyone should understand, it's him. Then he got fit for the new Wilson D-100's, strong loft city, and he's ridiculously happy with how far the ball goes. Part of his brain knows that the reason is strong loft (at least in part, the shafts help, too), but it's the quiet part. The loud part says, "SWEEEET, I'm 2 clubs longer!!!"

I'm the LAST guy who's going to say that jacking up lofts is ok (hell, I wrote this mega rant about it), but T is right: golfers are stupid and have the unbelievable ability to block out everything but the number on the club.

My dad is a perfect example. For YEARS I've been telling him about jacked up lofts, longer shafts, etc, to try to make him understand why his buddies are "longer" than him. If anyone should understand, it's him. Then he got fit for the new Wilson D-100's, strong loft city, and he's ridiculously happy with how far the ball goes. Part of his brain knows that the reason is strong loft (at least in part, the shafts help, too), but it's the quiet part. The loud part says, "SWEEEET, I'm 2 clubs longer!!!"

Does your dad know how far he hits each club? In the end, that's all that matters.

I couldn't care less about the lofts on the clubs. You don't have to be a genius to see what's going on and put together a nice set with wedges and hybrids. It's not like our golfbrain stops working just because a 5i is now a 6i.

For me, the 6i is my 195 club. In my head I call all my clubs the distance I hit them. When I see a shot and look at the bag, I never say to myself "it's a 6 iron". I say it's a 195 shot, and I'll need my 195 club. If it has the number six on the sole that's fine, it would be hard to pick ut out if it didn't have a number. But that's all it is, a number.

And regarding RocketBladez - pure genius. Everything about it. Marketing. Product. Release.

I agree there is too much rant about "Oh, how TM lies to people" (even worse than "Oh, why TM releases a new driver every six months"). The specs are there. It is not TMs fault if people want to believe their game will improve with newer irons every 6 months. Now a days most brands do the same thing, even the more "traditional" ones. Its simple, just get rid of the 4-iron and get a gap wedge instead, that will solve your problems

OK, I'm sick of hearing the "TM releases a ne driver every other week" line. They're FTMP been going winter only since the R9 series. Small changes like R9460 and the bonded RBZ aren't really a new driver. And they release irons every fall. So this is not a shock.

Do you know that is they put the lofts on these GI and SGI clubs to normal they would all knock down out satellites that make out GPSs work? With the CG being so low you've gotta kill loft to keep the flight down and make it behave like a real # iron, and in turn give a longer flight which is why they sell golf clubs. Distance. Not height...

flexsho59.jpg

Wilson posted this on Facebook this morning. What's old is new again...

wilson1.jpg

Wilson posted this on Facebook this morning. What's old is new again...

wilson1.jpg

Ahhhhh.......and the social media wars continue. Unfortunately for Wilson I would assume they have 1 follower to every 50 that TM has ;)

This was written on the blog side about those irons:

I was in Austin in the early 80′s and had a few conversations with Tom Kite. At the time, he was with Wilson when they were a Tour force and the company was excited about a new iron (sorry, can't remember the name) with a thin face that “flexed.” When I asked why he wasn't hitting this latest model he said that yes, the irons were long but they were very inconsistent…. right on with one swing and over the green on the next. Apparently a flexing face can do that to you. Has technology come light-years since the 80′s… if Touring pro's like the RocketBladez Tour shouldn't we like them too? Yes, on all counts but STILL… a flexing face might make a few of us nervous — who need 15-yards-farther flyers from the FAIRWAY?

(Maybe 3M's “goo” is the key, huh?)