Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Vision Golf Ball Review

RoverRick

Vision Golf Ball Review: arcticWhitefeatures4.jpg

Last week, I received a box of goodies from X. In it was a box of six Vision Golf Balls. I will first say that I play the Pro V1x and the Penta. I generally do not play any non- urethane golfballs. I have certain shots that I play and want the ball to stop or back up. So at first, I thought that I would be giving these to my wife for her to try. Then the weather changed this weekend. It was overcast and cold and wet. I had trouble, we all had trouble, picking up the ball visually after the tee shot. We had to stand behind each other and watch the ball. It was also a chore to see the ball even in the fairway. It then occurred to me that I had the solution to this problem at home.

I do not believe that this ball is available here in the United States but it is Europe, Asia, and the South Pacific. With all the global membership we have I decided to go ahead and do a review anyway. I looked on the forum to see if these had actually been reviewed. Apparently, back in 2010 there was a large test project in the US and MGS members participated. There are 245 responsesfor this but not a review, per se, as people who come to MGS are accustomed to seeing. Hopefully, someone will happen upon this and find it useful.

Vision Box.JPG

According to Vision Golf:

Arctic White Cover arcticWhite_150.jpg

The Visionâ„¢ snowflake icon describes the hi-visibility cool blue-white colour of the cover on this traditional styled ball. Using our advanced hi-tech soft feel cover material, we have achieved exceptional durability and feel.

Ezy 2 See Number arcticEz2cNumber_150.jpg

Players have mentioned on a regular basis that one of the main problems they have with current other golf balls is how hard it can be to identify them during play.We asked our Test Pilots to trial a series of large number markings on both Visionâ„¢ UV Yellow and Arctic White balls. This has resulted in 2 large numbers appearing on each ball where you would normally find a ball's brand name printed, resulting in the easier identification of your Visonâ„¢ ball and the speeding up of play as result.

Long and Straight arcticStr8Long150.jpg

The Visionâ„¢ power icon represents all the advances that Visionâ„¢ balls have made to help take your shots further and straighter than ever before. Our advanced Visionâ„¢ tek dimple pattern is but one of the design features creating the increased length and overall improvement in accuracy all Visionâ„¢ players have come to appreciate.

Multi Layer Power arcticMultiLayer_150.jpg

Our bullseye styled icon with its concentric circles confirms that this ball has our advanced Visionâ„¢ power technology. Through the use of multiple components, our product is consistently longer with driver and irons whilst retaining the great feel and memorable click sound that better players are always looking for.

How I tested:

Well, once again, there was no scientific launch monitors or radar or anything. I put one on the first tee and wacked it. I then tracked it down and wacked it again. I continued to do this for 18holes.

Performance:

They do not float. And while they claim that they are more visible than other balls, this does not apply when the water is more than 3 feet deep. Perhaps, the divers who come reclaim the golf balls will be able to see the one that sadly gave its life when I was doing the float test. I will admit that I may have misjudged the wind a bit and that is what precipitated the float test.

Distance:

This is supposedly a distance ball. I would say that it certainly went as far as the Pro V1 and the Penta did. Off the driver, it went farther sometimes and not as far other times. I would say this depended on my swing more than the golf ball design. Distance off the irons was what I normally get.

Vision Ball.JPG

Looks:

Well, as the name suggests this is all about the appearance of the ball. Up close the cover of this ball is reminiscent of Chrystal golf balls, however, I never found those particularly easier to see than any other ball. That is not the case with this ball.

It is by far much more visible than a regular golf ball. It was easy to pick up in the overcast conditions yesterday, and on one par 5, it was possible to see the ball in the fairway from 300 yards away. Today, the sun was out and this ball was very visible. We have one par 5 where someone always hits their ball into the trees. It is usually search party time because while it is open and flat hardpan for the most part with very little grass, the contrast between the shadows and sunlight in this particular area makes the task difficult. This is the inside of a dogleg and with OB on the opposite side it is fairly common to miss here. In much the same way as the float test, I hit one there today that afforded me the opportunity to hunt for my ball. However, instead of needing a search party, the ball was shining like a diamond in a goat's _ _ _ ahhhh pen. So as far as being able to see this ball better than others I would say it is a rousing success. In sunshine, shadow, and overcast, in the sky and on the ground it is much more visible than the standard ball. I thought so even when compared to the yellow golf ball.

Feel and Sound:

This is not the softest ball you will find, however, I did hit it compared to a Top Flight Strata and it is much softer than that. It felt firm without being clicky at all. It was not a bad feeling ball and probably felt very similar to many mid range balls.

Spin:

Here is where this ball, when compared to the urethane covered ball, falls woefully short. Or rather woefully rolls outmore. It performs just fine on fullshots. However, today I had a ¾ wedgeshot from 75 yards. I hit the ball that landed 6 feet right of the hole, pin high, but it rolled out to leave me a 25foot putt. I dropped a Pro V1 and hit a shot that was identical except that this ball landed a few feet short and backed up to leave me 10 feet for birdie. That is where I saw the main difference. There in not much greenside and partial wedge spin.

On the plus side of the spin issue, there is not much side spin either. I have a hard time quantifying straightness. I do not normally have a problem hitting banana balls, but I will say that now that I think about it this ball went pretty straight. I did not read about this ball before I played this ball because I wanted to form my own opinions and really have only read the part that I posted above. When I found that ball in the trees that I talked about earlier, I tried to bend one out between the trees and down the fairway. The plan was to hit a low clice out of the woods and stay below the trees and have it run up the fairway 200 yards to the green. I hit a hooded 2 iron as I often do when in this situation, but this ball did not bend. It went straight into a tree but bounced into the fairway. This was the 14thhole today, and after that point I tried to bend the ball flight. I was only mildly successful doing this, and did get some minor draws and fades working and on the 18th I made a horrible swing and got a big slice off my approach shot, but this was a major miscue. Overall, looking back on it, It was a fairly straight ballflight.

Durability:

I forgot this and had to come add this part, but the durability of the cover on this ball is good. I first ball only lasted 6 holes before it failed the "Float Test" but then the next ball not only finished that round, but made it 18 holes. I was pretty gentle with that ball and only hit one tree so it has a small bark mark on it, and some how I missed the cart paths and asphalt with it but there was no wear from wedges biting it. Of course, one of the drawbacks for this is that the harder cover does not spin as much. Since it is easier to find and straighter and lasts longer, and as WD says it is availible for $20 a box in the US, than this is not a bad ball.

Conclusion:

If you are in the market for a ball that is easier to see in the air and on the ground, want your drives to be long and straight, and do not spin the ball much around the green, and live in New Zealand, Australia, Austria, Germany, Spain,Switzerland, Denmark, or Sweden, you may want to pick this ball up and give it a try. However, I could not find where it was sold in the US. While this is not my normal everyday ball because they do not spin enough for me, I will certainly use these for those days where I am playing by myself and am having difficulty seeing the ball against the overcast sky.

I hope you found this information useful and as always comments are welcomed.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Thanks for the review RR,

As a MGS member for several years, I was included in the Vision golfball test group. They sent me a package that contained a towel, glove, hat, t-shirt tees & of course 2 dozen golfballs. There were several different balls, from arctic white, as you tested, to optic yellow, crystal white & pretty pink. Yes, they also have a pink ball. That's their best ball.....but you have to have balls to use it, 'cause your buddies will harass you.

One of the golfballs is called the X-pert with the following stats....

X-pert Thin Cover

The development of a new manufacturing method allowed us to create our thinnest covered high performance ball yet. Using new hi-tech materials we have created a ball that gives the better player more control in all conditions. These materials provide enhanced durability especially when compared to the urethane tour balls on the market today. The markings on this ball are traditional two pole style.

Pro Tour Spin

The PTS icon with its two spinning arrows surrounding a centre point demonstrates the higher spinning nature of this ball due to its new hi-tech materials. The level of spin available gives greater control and accuracy on all full and approach shots into the green.

Short Game Control

The overall softer feel and extra spin, allows the better player greater control and accuracy over their short shots from around the green when attacking the pin resulting in more saved shots per round.

Multi Layer Power

Our bullseye styled icon with its concentric circles confirms that this ball has our advanced Visionâ„¢ power technology. Through the use of multiple components, our product is consistently longer with driver and irons whilst retaining the great feel and memorable click sound that better players are always looking for.

The authorized USA retailer is SMT Golf

If you want to order direct, you can contact The Boz (Wayne Bosley, owner) at Vision Ball

As for cost, they are in the mid $20's

I have ordered from them several times and have a couple "Pinks" saved for a two day tourney this weekend.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks Foz.

I had seen where you participated in that when I glanced over it before posting, but after I wrote the review. I did not want to be too influenced by what I read so wrote the review first. I did go back and add the last line with guys like you in mind.

I saw that SMT supposedly had this ball but when I checked out their website it was not terribly helpful. I was not sure what SMT was. They had shafts and heads etc... but I did not see balls.

Wasn't too long ago that the only requirement I had for a ball was "round." We should add "floats" and "can find its way out of the woods" to the list. ;)

Nice write up RR - interested in how this ball, as well as Foz's higher spinning pinkie, compares to the Wilson Duo - have you had a chance to whack that one?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wasn't too long ago that the only requirement I had for a ball was "round." We should add "floats" and "can find its way out of the woods" to the list. ;)

Nice write up RR - interested in how this ball, as well as Foz's higher spinning pinkie, compares to the Wilson Duo - have you had a chance to whack that one?

Thanks, No I have not played the Duo. I did find a Wilson tour level ball a couple of months ago but sadly it did not float either. Holy smokes, I forgot to add the durability which is excellent. I better edit that.

I think you have to call SMT to really get the low down on them. There's a couple courses in the Mid West that seem to have them at their Proshop as well but for the life of me I cannot recall where.

I loved the Vision balls for awhile. To me, they played a lot like the Bridgestone E6. Good distance, promotoes a straight flight, slightly harder feel, decent off the putter. Good all around ball really. Plus Boz is an allstar, though I haven't seen him around much lately.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

lol, I like the WD stamp of approval and can't disagree with liking good stuff that's cheap :)

Has anyone reviewed the Vision X-pert2? http://visiongolfball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=24

I did a quick search of the forums and couldn't find it, but looks intriguing if they run in the 20-30 dollar range.

Great review RR. Green side spin IMO is more important than distance, so I'd probably pass on this version.

Good review Rick! I was part of the MGS Vision testing team as well. I found the performance to be much the same as you Rick, although I was finding a bit more distance off the tee with the ball I was using (the X3 I believe).

I really liked the Vision yellow balls, I was using them during the offseason to both recover some distance vs. cold tour balls, to help find them in the leaves, and to save some money! Last year we really didn't have much of an offseason so I never did get an order in to Boz, which was definitely my loss. Anyone that has dealt with Vision comes away feeling that they are dealing with a great company and can only hope for their success!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 1 year later...

Folks, if you liked the Vision golf balls take a look here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vision-golf-balls

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

Archived