Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Vision 54 Book Reviews

Matt Saternus

Vision 54 Book Review

DSC_0192.JPG

One thing that's funny about golfers and books: if Golfer A recommends a book of swing tips to Golfer B, Golfer B might go out and buy it. The tips might apply to him or they might not (probably the latter), but he'll go and try them without thinking twice. However, if Golfer A recommends a book about the mental game, Golfer B will likely make a funny face, think Golfer A is some kind of hippie, and ignore the recommendation. So, knowing this full well, I will play the role of Golfer A and suggest to you that your game could likely benefit from any or all of the Vision 54 books: Every Shot Must Have a Purpose, The Game Before the Game, and Play Your Best Golf Now. I'll wait while you make a funny face and call me a hippie. Done? Good, now keep reading.

Let's cut right to the heart of it: all of these books have incredible amounts of good stuff in them. There's also some stuff that will make you roll your eyes (sample: “Celebrate golf: sing the song of greatness.”). My recommendation: don't let the over-the-top gooey stuff keep you from getting to the really good stuff in these books. On to the specifics:

Vision 54 is a system created by Lynn Marriott and Pia Nilsson, both of whom are on the Top 50 and Top 100 lists for Golf Digest and Golf Magazine, respectively. Their fundamental belief is that every individual has unlimited potential. Their goal is to help each person reach that potential. Why the number 54? It comes from 54 Golf: the idea that you can birdie every hole in a round of golf.

DSC_0196.JPG

Every Shot Must Have a Purpose is Pia and Lynn's first book. It lays out the basics of their system. They discuss the five elements of golf (physical, technical, mental, emotional, and social), a concept called Playing Focus, and, probably their best known idea, Think Box vs. Play Box. Every Shot is a great starting point, and it will give you a good taste for what they have to offer.

DSC_0197.JPG

The Game Before the Game focuses on practice. When they start getting into the ways in which golfers waste time on the range, you will probably feel like they've been spying on your range sessions. And when they talk about how to stop wasting time, you will want to take notes. Lynn and Pia break practice down into three categories: Warm Up, Maintenance, and Preparation (learning new skills), and they discuss the best way to approach each type of practice.

DSC_0199.JPG

Play Your Best Golf Now is Lynn and Pia's most recent book, and it focuses on the 8 essential playing skills and the 2 essential practice skills. If you've read their other books, it will not shock you to find out that none of them are related to improving the position of your left arm at the top of your backswing. The skills they focus on are controlling your mental and emotional state.

The thing that I LOVE about all of these books is that they offer concrete suggestions at every step. Again, some of them might provoke an eye-roll, but, especially for the club-throwers out there, is writing down five things that you like about your game the worst idea in the world?

Additionally, all of the books are quick reads. They each come in right around 200 pages. They've even bolded and listed lots of stuff, so you can skim the entire thing over breakfast. I would strongly encourage you not to do that. As with every other good mental game book I've read, a lot of the value is in the hypnotic effect of repetition. I could summarize a Bob Rotella book in two sentences, but it would not give you the same value as reading 200 pages of it. The same is true here.

As I said, most people are never going to seriously address their mental game, and that's a big part of why most people will never get better. I've seen the effects of the mental game first hand; I wrote about that here. I know that there are probably more strokes to be saved with mental and emotional improvement than there are with technical improvement, at least among regular golfers.

For those of you who are serious about this game, and serious about taking strokes off your score, these books are must-haves. If you're looking to get into an off-season program, start with The Game Before the Game and build into the other two as the season approaches. But don't rush. Absorb what they're saying, do the exercises, and the books will pay for themselves very quickly.

VISIT WEBSITE: HERE

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I've read the third book in their series - it was GREAT for me to read at the time I did - the one thing I remember and use to this day is "counting" when I get into the box... it helps me focus for my swing - otherwise my mind just wanders terribly.

I'd agree though, these are a "different" golf book and I've found the things I read to be valuable, and these were easy reads.

I read Every Shot last week, and got through it in about two days. I haven't implemented any of their concepts just yet, but it sure looks interesting.

Would like to make some time to do the 54 ball challenge. Not sure if I'm allowed to divulge the whole challenge here, but for those that haven't read the book, it is basically a bunch of 5 shot mini challenges that make up a total of 54 shots (note that I use the word challenges, as it doesn't really feel like a drill as such). I think (and this is just my opinion), that the word drill might refer more to doing the same thing over and over until you get it down, whereas this challenge seems to be more about making sure you think about each shot, and then commit to that shot.

You hit a whole bunch of different shots, including 5 shots with a 7i turned upside down so you can swing and hit left handed. This is to get you out of your comfort zone, and make you think about the shot you're about to hit. Another of the 5 shot challenges, is to hit from a divot. Again this makes you think of what you are trying to do, and should make you more comfortable if you come across this scenario on the course. There is also a

This is just some of the sections of the whole challenge. But it looks like it would definitely get you out of your comfort zone, and make you think about different types of shots.

As part of the process, you must score yourself out of a total of 5 on each shot. This is mostly to judge your commitment to each shot. The idea is then to do this challenge again, trying to score higher.

I'm a little lazy, so I'm not sure if I will get around to scoring myself on each shot. But would definitely give the challenge a shot.

There are also plenty of other interesting points in the book, and I am going to try and implement them. But I can't make any guarantee that I will have the discipline to do so...

Will definitely look into "The game before the game" as well. And that counting thing Tim mentions when in the Play box, might be very good for me. I also tend to think way too much over the ball.

I'm currently a 29 HC, and I really feel the mental game is a big hurdle for me. My ballstriking is pretty good, but I can't quite take it to the course. I'm hoping these books can help, and I'm pretty sure that if I'm disciplined with them, it will help.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

I'm currently a 29 HC, and I really feel the mental game is a big hurdle for me. My ballstriking is pretty good, but I can't quite take it to the course. I'm hoping these books can help, and I'm pretty sure that if I'm disciplined with them, it will help.

Sparnar,

Thanks for sharing your comments and experiences. This last paragraph really sums it up for me: you have the ability to hit the ball, you just haven't learned how to take it to the course yet. That's where these books come in.

Sparnar,

Thanks for sharing your comments and experiences. This last paragraph really sums it up for me: you have the ability to hit the ball, you just haven't learned how to take it to the course yet. That's where these books come in.

Funny you should point that out. I have actually decided to start "brainwashing" myself in a similar way you did with that student of yours. I'm going to stand in front of a mirror, and tell myself Cool Runnings style:

"I see a bad-ass mother who don't take no crap off of nobody!"

And once I calm down from that, comes the important bit:

"I have a swing that should be scoring in the 80s."

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Funny you should point that out. I have actually decided to start "brainwashing" myself in a similar way you did with that student of yours. I'm going to stand in front of a mirror, and tell myself Cool Runnings style:

"I see a bad-ass mother who don't take no crap off of nobody!"

And once I calm down from that, comes the important bit:

"I have a swing that should be scoring in the 80s."

Hahaha, great reference.

Here's the thing: there's NOTHING wrong/funny/silly about what you're doing. Millions of people do it everyday...in the wrong direction: "I can't putt...all my drives slice..I suck...I'll never be any good." What's wrong with telling yourself what you want to be?

Hahaha, great reference.

Here's the thing: there's NOTHING wrong/funny/silly about what you're doing. Millions of people do it everyday...in the wrong direction: "I can't putt...all my drives slice..I suck...I'll never be any good." What's wrong with telling yourself what you want to be?

Exactly!

I really need to brainwash myself, I'm also trying to remember my good shots after a round, in an effort to ingrain that confidence. It feels like I really need to start believing in myself and my skills on the course more. At this moment my confidence on the tee box is completely shot, with shots going everywhere. And if I need to hit a tee shot in front of people, I almost always top the first one.

I'm getting "The Game before the Game" today.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I'm going to add these to my Christmas list! Any idea if they're available in Kindle or eReader format?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Archived