TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Cigar Lounge

Flv02

Hey Guys,

I never realized how much a person can enjoy "working." I do not consider the reviews I do for the website "work," but when people ask what I do, I say that I have written some articles for MGS. I always say it with a big smile on my face. My friends wanted to celebrate a new job I got by going to a cigar lounge in the city. I ,being the cigar fan that I am, decided to do it. I met a rather large group of my friends in the city, stopped at a cigar lounge, and then my friend came and said that he had a surprise for me. We hopped into a cab and headed to the Upper East Side where he brought us to his apartment. We went to the roof, looked at the beautiful view, and all lit up our cigars with giant smiles. While we were sitting in our circle, great conversations started, like they always do when we have cigars. One of those conversations happened to be about the website. I told everyone what I have done, and they said they were jealous that I liked a "job" so much. Anyway, one of my friends said "too bad you don't review cigars too."

At that point, my mind started to think. I thought I would try and combine my two hobbies that I am passionate about. I started doing research that night. Golf and cigars marry beautifully. Most people know that and enjoy the combination when they are on the course. There is something about a cigar that sparks the conversations that you remember for a lifetime. Combine that with the conversations we have about golf on the course and what does that equal to? Another great addition to the website.

At this point in time I pitched the idea to GolfSpy X and as you can see, he loved it. I have a lot of plans for this section of the website. Personally, I have smoked many different types of cigars, and believe it or not, I have kept an Excel spreadsheet throughout my life with every cigar I have ever smoked. In that spreadsheet are mini-reviews, which I could easily turn into full cigar reviews. X has told me that some cigar companies have contacted him over the years, and I will be contacting them so that I can write full reviews on what they have to offer. I am as passionate about cigars as I am about golf. Combining these two passions is going to be a pleasure for me to do, and I can not wait to see how great this part of the forum is going to be a few months from now. I encourage all of you to start creating topics. Start writing about the cigars you have smoked, what your favorite cigars are, and the great times you have experienced while smoking. And don't forget about golf! Tell us about that time you were smoking your favorite cigar, took a puff, and then sank that birdie putt to win that big skins match against your college buddies.

I hope you all enjoy this Cigar section and please take the time to reply to this post with feedback. Tell me if you like this new idea and tell me what you want to see so that I can work with the rest of the guys to get what YOU want.

Sincerely,

GolfSpy Frank

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

If you get sent too many cigars for you to handle, I will donate my body (in the name of science......and reviews) to help you out. I don't go as far as keeping a spreadsheet, but I have smoked TONS of cigars and I could about tell you every brand and how they tasted/smoked. Needless to say, I love the idea.

To answer your question WD (and this may be jumping the gun), you can't hardly beat Brickhouse when it comes to good, cheap cigars. They range from about $4.00 - $8.50 depending on size; I personally go with the Corona and they run $6.50 here.

If you get sent too many cigars for you to handle, I will donate my body (in the name of science......and reviews) to help you out. I don't go as far as keeping a spreadsheet, but I have smoked TONS of cigars and I could about tell you every brand and how they tasted/smoked. Needless to say, I love the idea.

To answer your question WD (and this may be jumping the gun), you can't hardly beat Brickhouse when it comes to good, cheap cigars. They range from about $4.00 - $8.50 depending on size; I personally go with the Corona and they run $6.50 here.

I will keep that in mind JB haha. And WD check out cigarauctioneer.com. It is a Cigar eBay that I have been very successful with. I have bought $10.00 Rocky Patel and Alec Bradleys for under $4.00 a stick!

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Fantastic idea; nothing beats a good cigar and a complementary drink (whiskeys being my usual preference). While I haven't always kept a journal I have begun to do so recently. Currently I'm a big fan of the offerings of Drew Estate and A.J. Fernandez.

Do you have a favorite out of the two brands? The only Drew Estate ones I have tried were their Java series.

I will keep that in mind JB haha. And WD check out cigarauctioneer.com. It is a Cigar eBay that I have been very successful with. I have bought $10.00 Rocky Patel and Alec Bradleys for under $4.00 a stick!

I do love me some Rocky Patels. I haven't picked up any Alec Bradley's yet, but it's on my to-do for sure.

I'm a big Oliva fan myself; you can't beat a Cain with a glass of Angels Envy bourbon. One of the local shops had a special on Oliva cigars, buy one - get one; of course I had to oblige.photo (3).JPG

Very nice I have few Oliva's in one of the humidors right now :-)

I have some in the humidor too. I had their six cigar sampler a couple of months ago with their regular Oliva, V, O, and Gs and loved them.

Really enjoying this forum already. I'm a total noob when it comes to cigars, so don't mind the questions:

How long do cigars stay good for? I'll probably never be enough of an afficinado to buy a humidor, but if I order it online and forget it for a month, did I just waste money?

What's the best way to store cigars without a humidor?

Really enjoying this forum already. I'm a total noob when it comes to cigars, so don't mind the questions:

How long do cigars stay good for? I'll probably never be enough of an afficinado to buy a humidor, but if I order it online and forget it for a month, did I just waste money?

What's the best way to store cigars without a humidor?

I think its worth getting a humidor. You can get small ones for under $30 online. I actually got mine for $200 off ( a grand total of $50) and it fits 150 cigars. In a humidor, cigars can last forever. You just have to season it for a couple of days, fill the humidifier with distilled water, and let it sit until it gets too low. MY humidor I haven't had to fill for two months because it has been at a consistent humidity of 65%. I checked and my hygrometer is not broken haha. Without a humidor it is tough. Your cigars will dry out very quickly. I say get even a small one if you can. How many cigars do you currently have?

I think its worth getting a humidor. You can get small ones for under $30 online. I actually got mine for $200 off ( a grand total of $50) and it fits 150 cigars. In a humidor, cigars can last forever. You just have to season it for a couple of days, fill the humidifier with distilled water, and let it sit until it gets too low. MY humidor I haven't had to fill for two months because it has been at a consistent humidity of 65%. I checked and my hygrometer is not broken haha. Without a humidor it is tough. Your cigars will dry out very quickly. I say get even a small one if you can. How many cigars do you currently have?

Don't have any cigars, I just really enjoy them from time to time, but typically I buy them and smoke them on the spot, choosing something at random :)

Don't have any cigars, I just really enjoy them from time to time, but typically I buy them and smoke them on the spot, choosing something at random :)

Theres nothing wrong with that :)! Even with the amount of cigars I have I will do that too. If you can find a good, small one on sale, it definitely wont hurt. Do you want to keep cigars on you? Or do you just want to keep doing what your doing?

As already mentions cigars can be kept(aged) a long time, but since you're not interested in that (from the sound of it) you can do this...

Grab a entree size ziplock storage container (not the bag) now put a humi-pillow or puck in there and you can keep 15-20 cigars fresh for about 3 weeks at a time with the pillow and significantly longer with the puck. Just remember cool location out of sunlight.

Any pics of that humidor Frank?

Any pics of that humidor Frank?

I found a pic on my computer :)

DSC00974.jpg

Pure curiosity at this point. I'm a big fan of being educated before I buy things, I can certainly see myself buying a humidor at some point. In the meantime if I decide to buy something from the auction site, I may take up mynd's suggestion.

I'd say thats the way to go. Keep your eyes out for deals and then you may reach a point where you have too many cigars which is when you purchase the humidor. I'll message you if I see any deals come my way. I am hoping to get some deals and promotions with the companies I contact, so that may help as well.

I'd say thats the way to go. Keep your eyes out for deals and then you may reach a point where you have too many cigars which is when you purchase the humidor. I'll message you if I see any deals come my way. I am hoping to get some deals and promotions with the companies I contact, so that may help as well.

Sounds good, looking forwarding to hearing more on this forum.

Sounds good, looking forwarding to hearing more on this forum.

I'm hoping it stays this active haha this would be great!

That's a great looking humidor and at that price!!! You run into a deal like that again you gotta let me know

Will do! Now its time for me to smoke a cigar in celebration of this forum being created! I can't wait!

WD, you can get an old wooden cigar case from a cigar store (most will just give one to you for free). Cut off a piece of sponge, wet it, and place it in the box with your cigars; resoak the sponge when it dries, which is usually 7-10 days. I've kept cigars fresh for two months like this, but obviously a humidor is best. I've actually put in a request for a new humidor, for Christmas.

Would be cool to make the lounge, kind of like Cigar Aficionado and include some "The Good Life" discussion too. Cars, cool toys, etc.

Honestly, I smoke a big turd only occasionally, but subscribe to Cigar Aficionado because I enjoy their golf articles and articles in general.

Great idea for the forum, and looking forward to some informal discussions with good guys, aside from golf.

Posted Image

Archived