Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How to add tac to a leather grip

hckymeyer

I recently switched my putter grip to a leather grip from Bestgrips. I love the feel of the grip so far, but I'd like to make it a little tackier. Anyone have a good solution for adding some tack to a leather grip?

It's only been on the club for about 6 weeks or so.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Wipe it down with Naptha. That's as tacky as it'll get without putting stick-em or something on it.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Have you tried wiping it down with a damp cloth? Leather is porous and can get dirty surprisingly quickly. Some leather grip companies recommend cleaning after every other round. Also, the leather moisture content can greatly effect texture and feel. Keeping the grip from drying out or getting wet is important. A little bit of horse oil can often help restore dry leather--but only apply this if the grip is clean. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips everyone, I will give them a shot.

• 1 month later...

I would be more than happy to send you some ProTac if this is still an issue. Some people like no tack and some want the grip to stick like super glue, so I try to find a happy medium. When my grips get too dirty to play, I wipe them down with rubbing alcohol. For just in between shots and rounds I do what KG and RP suggested, wiping them down with a damp cloth.

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

I would be more than happy to send you some ProTac if this is still an issue. Some people like no tack and some want the grip to stick like super glue, so I try to find a happy medium. When my grips get too dirty to play, I wipe them down with rubbing alcohol. For just in between shots and rounds I do what KG and RP suggested, wiping them down with a damp cloth.

I went with wiping it down with a damp cloth, or finding some wet grass to drop it in and then wipe it off with a towel. I haven't tried the rubbing alcohol or naptha yet.

How is the ProTac? I don't want super glue by any means, but I want my hands to stay where I put them without having to deathgrip the putter.

In the hot humid mid-summer weather I didn't have any issues, but as it got colder and dryer into the fall is when I noticed I'd really like a little more tackiness.

I went with wiping it down with a damp cloth, or finding some wet grass to drop it in and then wipe it off with a towel. I haven't tried the rubbing alcohol or naptha yet.

How is the ProTac? I don't want super glue by any means, but I want my hands to stay where I put them without having to deathgrip the putter.

In the hot humid mid-summer weather I didn't have any issues, but as it got colder and dryer into the fall is when I noticed I'd really like a little more tackiness.

Try just a little bit of rubbing alcohol first. I usually play without a glove in the winter to compensate for the change in humidity. The ProTac is one of those "a little dab will do ya" materials. Send me an email @ [email protected] and keep me posted!

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

• 2 weeks later...

BestGrips.com's grips are genuine leather. Genuine leather means 100 % cowhide leather, not sheepskin, kangaroo, or deer skin (the worst natural grip material). Because they are treated with Protac, they can be wiped down with a damp cloth as frequently as you like.

Archived