Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Practice time?

I am currently going through a swing change. My instructor has told me to spend my time practicing and not playing. I find this difficult. I usually hit a couple buckets of balls a week but I know that's not enough to change my muscle memory, still playing 18-36 holes a week. How much practice do u guys put in compared to playing time?

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

When I used to live by the golf course (10 min drive) I my ratio would be 1:1 say about 3 rounds of golf and 3 practice sessions per week.

I just moved to a new bigger apartment in May and now I need a little longer driver to the course, so I'll still play the 2 or 3 rounds per week, but only squeeze in a bucket of chips, pitches and blow them away on the range.

I do agree with the instructor. I also went through a swing change and if you play a round without having it engrained in your brain, it's useless. You go back to old habits.

So I just went driving range intensive for a month and the new swing is there on the course automatically.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm off Tuesday and Wednesday this week, gonna dedicate a couple hours each day. Playing 36 in Nashville next week so hopefully will be able to get the feel a little better.

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Not as much as I should. I try to spend 5 minutes a day putting on my living room carpet and I try to go to the range once a week but it doesnt always happen.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

99.99% of my practice is pitches & chips from 5 yards to 90 yards. But, I do it almost every night.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

My instructor told me the same thing - said give myself a month with a focus on range work vs. playing. I tend to ONLY play about 3 times a week, and he has been trying to convince me to focus for just a month - he gets frustrated that I don't.

For the winter, I'm planning to take his advice and see if I can't start bringing it from the inside better with range work

I normally go to the range maybe once a month :-(

I actually found that working on my mental game did more for me that spending time at the range ever did.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

The problem with too much practice in the range is it really never prepares you for real life situations, and hitting from those funny matts makes you think you really know how to hit and then hit everything fat on the field hehehe

If you are changing your swing I agree it is worth doing so, but if you just want to have fun, the course will always be much better choice.

I spend about 30 seconds a day on the range. I have to drive across it or around it to get to the course. I play at least an hour usually 9 holes everyday. I mean every day. I have missed 4 days, that I was in town, in the last year and the reason for that was snow. I played when there was ice, but snow makes it very difficult to play.

I have certain things that I may work on, and today it will be the flop shot. I will go out and play a hole, and when I get to the area where I feel I need the work, I will drop three or four more balls and play that shot. Some days it might be trouble shots, or iron shots or lag putting. Last week it was fairway woods off the deck. There is always one particular thing I work on Monday thru Thursday. But I always do it in conjunction with playing a few holes. Actually, Wednesday nights, Friday afternoons and Saturday and Sunday, I play competitive rounds. I often play 36 holes on the weekend.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

For a swing change, to really get it ingrained, you have to practice on the range, but you also have to practice on the course. You gotta get out there in "real golf" situations and commit yourself to executing the change you are making. Going out late in the day when you can toss another ball down and hit it to reinforce the change is really good.

For me, the physical part of a swing change isn't the hard part. It's learning the trust it and getting it to be your swing, not your "new swing". Being out on the course trying to make a shot is just hard to replicate on the range. So I think you need both, the range for the muscle memory, and practice on the course for the mental aspect of committing to the change.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I'm going to attempt to practice today and not play. Should be a really nice day so it's gonna be tough.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I practiced about 2.5 hrs this morning. Spent about an hour hitting 3H, 6 and 9 iron to work on mu swing change(bigger turn, more firing of the hips). Spent about an hour and 15 minutes pitching and chipping. I put tees a flagsticks length around the cup and proceeded to try to hit my shots inside of it. Finished up with lag putting for about 15 minutes. Trying a little different grip as well. Pretty productive day but it sure was tempting to play instead of hit balls. All in all, at least I was at the golf course.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• SPY VIP

For a swing change, to really get it ingrained, you have to practice on the range, but you also have to practice on the course. You gotta get out there in "real golf" situations and commit yourself to executing the change you are making. Going out late in the day when you can toss another ball down and hit it to reinforce the change is really good.

For me, the physical part of a swing change isn't the hard part. It's learning the trust it and getting it to be your swing, not your "new swing". Being out on the course trying to make a shot is just hard to replicate on the range. So I think you need both, the range for the muscle memory, and practice on the course for the mental aspect of committing to the change.

This is really how it should be

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I try to swing a club at least every day, but I don't always have the time between work, the wife and the 7 month old. I got the Tour Striker Educator recently, and I do use it to try and ingrain the flat left wrist position. But that is pretty much the only practice I'm getting in right now.

I don't even get to the range often, although at one point I managed to do two range sessions a week. And I can tell the difference in my scores between then and now.

Even my roll-out practice green I use at home, is gathering dust at the moment.

I really need to get to a short game area, and practice my chipping, and pitching. Especially my pitching is a little off target, although distance control is fairly good for my HC level.

I do love me some practising!

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Yes yes yes (so nice it needs to be thrice)

Last year when I got to practice a lot but play very little, making swing changes stick on the course was virtually impossible. It's one thing to wail away when if you miss by 25 yards it's just in a different place in a field vs through someone's window.

This year when I've been playing more and practicing less, I've found ingraining swing changes easier with my practice time more effective. No longer is it just to whack a ball. It's because something is consistently wrong in the round that causes me not to trust a shot and thus needs to be fixed.

I like going to the range and practicing and I'm not against it at all, but there comes a point where practice doesn't mean anything if you can't take it from the range to the course and trust it.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Yes yes yes (so nice it needs to be thrice)

Last year when I got to practice a lot but play very little, making swing changes stick on the course was virtually impossible. It's one thing to wail away when if you miss by 25 yards it's just in a different place in a field vs through someone's window.

This year when I've been playing more and practicing less, I've found ingraining swing changes easier with my practice time more effective. No longer is it just to whack a ball. It's because something is consistently wrong in the round that causes me not to trust a shot and thus needs to be fixed.

I like going to the range and practicing and I'm not against it at all, but there comes a point where practice doesn't mean anything if you can't take it from the range to the course and trust it.

This maybe a little OT, but this is where the Vision 54 books make a good point of simulating golf when practising.

I know I get into the scrape-and-hit groove sometimes, and can finish a 60 ball bucket in no time. And I have proved to myself that this does not help much.

Vision 54 proposes that you play a different club to a different target with each shot at the range. They also have some drills where you hit at different tempos, maybe hit some high shots, some low ones, left to right, right to left. This is all so that you are forced to really think about each shot, and commit to a decision.

I haven't implemented this myself yet, but I certainly want to give it a shot.

Sure, it is still not the same as making things stick on the course, but it is a hell of a lot closer to real golf, than the normal scrape-and-hit that alot of guys and girls adhere to.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Archived