Cigars 101- The COMPLETE Tutorial

Our Sponsors

Well, some of you guys have a requested a how-to/tutorial on starting to smoke cigars. In this topic, I will do my best to provide all of you guys with as much information as possible so that you will be able to understand everything and really be able to get started today!

Cigars 101

cigarsanta-600x250.jpg

If Santa can enjoy a stogie while relaxing, you should too. I am going to break this up into many sections and try to simplify the complex world of cigars as much as I can.

A Brief History of Cigars

Cigars have been around for thousands of years. Through some of the research I have made, it seems like it originated with the Mayans and Aztecs in Central America. Actually, a ceramic pot was discovered in Guatemala that dates at least as far back as the 10th century depicts a Mayan puffing on tobacco leaves bound up with string.

The Europeans had no idea of such plant as tobacco until Christopher Columbus discovered America. It was actually a priest by the name of Ramon Pane who introduced Europe to the tobacco culture. Ramon was part of Columbus' second voyage back to Ameirca. With time the smoking habit became very popular in Spain and Portugal thanks to sailors and in France with the help of Jean Nicot - the French ambassador to Portugal - whose name was given to nicotine. Britain and Italy got acquainted with tobacco a little later.

The cigar in its current shape came to us after the year of 1762 with American general Putnam's return from Cuba. The general brought a large collection of Havanas and Cuban tobacco.

Cuba's fertile land and favorable climate allowed all three types of tobacco leaves used in a cigar — the wrapper, filler and binder — to be harvested on the island, and sailing ships were soon distributing Cuban tobacco from Europe to Asia. Columbus had claimed Cuba for Spain, and mandated that all tobacco for export be registered in Seville; they later tightened their stranglehold on the market by forbidding Cuban growers to sell the crop to anyone but them. This continued until 1817.

Strange as it may seem, the majority of the United States citizens were accustomed to cigar smoking only after the Civil War of 1860s. After the civil war, it became a symbol of men in the upper class.

At this time in history, smoking was EXTREMELY popular in Europe. Smoking portions of trains were created and smoking rooms were introduced in different public places. Also at that period there was introduced the custom of smoking cigars after dinner with a glass of brandy or port, which we still do to this day (just look at other forum posts).

"By then, cigars were exploding in popularity around the world. The U.S. consumed some 300 million cigars by the mid-19th century, and many Cuban cigar-makers migrated to nearby Florida, where Tampa became known as "Cigar City" by the early 20th century. "If I cannot smoke in heaven, then I shall not go," Mark Twain declared. Though the boom was partly lit by the cigar's affordability, they soon become a must-have accessory for debonair gentlemen — men like King Edward VII, who, upon assuming the British throne in 1901, famously announced a break with the smoke-free policies of his mother Queen Victoria by uttering the words: "Gentlemen, you may smoke." Ulysses S. Grant's cigar habit proved his undoing, saddling him with the throat cancer that killed him. And Freud was a chimney: Patients on his couch had to endure not only running commentary about their suppressed Oedipal complexes but the acrid stench from his 20-a-day cigar habit (which ultimately killed him too).

Despite the obvious health risks, cigars remain a fixture of pop culture. An episode of Seinfeld centered around a box of Cubans, while the stogie's famous champions include Michael Jordan, Rush Limbaugh and Lil' Wayne. Politicians dabble too — Arnold Schwarzenegger is a noted fan — although puffing on a Cuban can leave an eggy residue on a pol's face. A year after Tom DeLay thundered that "American consumers will get their fine cigars and their cheap sugar, but at the cost of our national honor," a photo emerged of the former House majority leader sucking on a Hoyo de Monterrey. Washington was also the site of the cigar's most infamous moment: its use as a sexual prop by former President Bill Clinton during a tryst with Monica Lewinsky."

*Information and Quotes Taken from http://www.time.com/...1869320,00.html, http://www.cigars4du...beginning-.html, http://www.cigarhand...com/history.asp, http://www.bestcigar...tory-of-cigars/, http://www.cigarsoftware.com/hist.html

CONTINUED - IN NEXT FEW POSTS

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Anatomy of the Cigar

I think it is important before you smoke and get into the beautiful of hobby of cigars, that you know what makes up a cigar.

cigar-anatomy1.jpg

When you first take out a nice stogie to smoke, whether it be for thirty minutes or three hours, you will see five main parts of the cigar.

First is the cap. The cap is the closed end, closest to the band. What it is a wrapper tobacco leaf attached to the head of the cigar. The purpose of the cap is to keep the wrapper together.

Next is the head. The head is the whole closed end of the cigar. Before you smoke your cigar and light the foot, this is the end that you will cut or clip with one of the accessories I will mention later on. When cutting the head, you do not want to cut a lot off. Only between 2 to 3 millimeters down.

Third is the band. The band is the most noticeable aspect of your cigar. It will most likely be located closest to the head, and it provides you with the cigar brand and type of cigar you are smoking.

Fourth is the body. The body is simply the main part of the cigar. It is all of the cigar you will be smoking.

Last is the foot. The foot is usually the end that is pre-cut. This is the part of the cigar that you will light, and that will start the process of smoking your cigar.

anatomy-of-a-cigar.jpg

The picture above is showing the filler of a cigar. The filler makes up the volume of the cigar and is the type of tobacco that is located within the wrapper. It makes up the body of the cigar. There are three types of filler, and they are usually rolled with the ligero leaf in the center. The strong ligero leaf comes from the top of the tobacco leaf. It burns slowly and is exposed to the most sun during growth. It is the darkest color and is the most flavorful.

Next is the seco, which comes from the middle of the plant. The seco is both lighter in color and flavor. Last is the volado, which comes from the bottom of the tobacco plant. Very little flavor comes from the volado, and it is used mostly because it burns easily.

structure-of-a-cigar.jpg

When the cigar is constructed, the filler is put in the middle. The filler, as described above, makes up the volume of the cigar and gives the cigar its unique flavors and strengths. Two to five different types of tobacco leaves are used to make up the filler of each cigars, which is why there are so many unique cigars in the market. There are two different types of fillers. There are short fillers, which are found in machine-made cigars and made with cut-up pieces of tobacco, and long fillers, which are made with long tobacco leaves and are found in every premium, hand-rolled cigars.

The next part of the cigar is the binder. The binder holds the filler together and is made of thick, tough, and durable tobacco leaves that do not add much flavor. The small amount of flavor usually compliments the filler, and is usually found higher on the tobacco plant.

Putting it all together is the wrapper. It holds both the filler and the binder together. The wrapper is the part of the cigar you see when someone shows you a cigar. It is the outside of the cigar and it is a single tobacco leaf. This leaf should be perfect and it provides a lot of flavor to the cigar. It is also considered to be the most expensive part of the cigar.

Cap it off and there is your cigar!

*All images taken from www.cigarcabana.com

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Shapes and Sizes

The combination of length and ring-size are what make up the different names for cigar sizes. First let me tell you about the two characteristics.

The combination of length and ring-size determine both the amount of smoke you get and the length of your smoke. Length are measured in inches. The typical cigar is anywhere from 5-7 inches in length, but I will list the most common sizes below. Ring-size, or gauge, is measured in 64ths on an inch. So a cigar that has a 50 ring size, means that the thickness is actually 50/64 inches. Ring sizes normally range from 42-60.

Here is an illustration of the most common cigar sizes:

cigar-size-and-shape-chart.jpg

There are also some different shapes. Honestly, I can go on forever with these, but as you start to smoke cigars, you will begin to realize what your personal preference is. That is something important to realize with cigars. Every single person is different, so the cigar that your buddy calls his favorite might be the worst cigar you ever smoked.

*Image from www.stogiesontherocks.com

How to Pick Your Cigar

When picking your cigar, one of the main things you should look at is the color of the wrapper. The color of the wrapper is a pretty good indicator of strength, with the lighter the color meaning the more mild the cigar. If a beginner, I suggest a more moderate to mild cigar, and then work your way up to a darker one.

Cigar_Wrapper_Color_Chart.jpg

"Double claro cigars have a mild flavor and a light green wrapper.

Claro cigars have a smooth, mild flavor and a light tan wrapper.

Naturals have a full-bodied flavor and a light brown wrapper.

Colorado cigars have a robust, rich flavor and a reddish-brown wrapper.

A Colorado maduro has a rich, aromatic flavor and a dark brown wrapper.

Maduros have a strong, sweet flavor and a very dark brown wrapper.

Oscuro maduros have a strong flavor and a wrapper that is almost black."

When picking a cigar in person, make sure that you squeeze the cigar. The cigar should give slightly, but not feel squishy. If it is squishy, then it has been over-humidified, and if it is hard, it has been under-humidified. The important thing is to follow your own tastes. The more expensive the cigar does not mean it is the best cigar for you. My favorite cigar is $6, beating cigars that I have payed $15 for.

When first buying a cigars, I recommend buying a sampler. You can get them on any of the major websites, and your local cigar shop may have some too. Experiment and find out what you like, and what else you want in a cigar. After you know that, talk to your local tobacconist or go to the online chats online with cigar websites and ask for recommendations. Eventually, you will find out exactly what kind of cigars you enjoy.

*Picture and short descriptions from mentellect.com

How to Smoke a Cigar

Finally, the section that you all have been waiting for. Things you will need:

1. Cigar

2. Cutter

3. Lighter

I already told you how to pick your cigar, so I am going to tell you about the lighter and cutter options briefly. You will learn more about them as I write reviews on different lighters and cutters.

For cutters, there are several types:

Cigar_Cutter_and_Cigar_Punchers.jpg

The goal with the cutters is to take 2 to 3 millimeters off the head. With the punch, you should screw it in gently and pull out. I reccommend the double-blade guilotine (LTC-0162) or punch (first three from left to right on the bottom row) to begin with. If you use the blade it should look like this:

Cigar-Cutting-2.jpg

Avoid the ametuer cut!

The punch is simple, screw it in gently and pull it out gently. It should look like this, depending on how big your punch is:

punch_cut.jpg

After your cigar is cut properly it is time to light it. I reccommend getting a wind-resistant torch lighter so that you can light it evenly:

cl-lt3.jpg

Now I was going to type a HUUGGGEEE description, but I found a video that is perfect and reiterates everything I have said and how to smoke it. It even says to toast it, which I highly reccommend (you will see what that means). So, if you have twenty minutes, watch it. You will benefit from it in the end:

http://youtu.be/ws950AsSMLE?hd=1

This was not me taking the easy way out! haha I thought a video would be better so I watched A LOT. I thought this one was the best for you guys.

Humidors and Storage

Humidors and storage are VERY important to the cigar hobby. If you want to keep cigars at your house you have to store them properly. By properly, I mean in between 60 and 75% humidity (depending on your personal preference and environment) and in a humidor with a spanish-cedar interior. Personally, I keep my humidor at 65%. For me, that is perfect. When you really get into the cigar hobby and keep them in a humidor, you will realize that letting cigars mature in the humidor for a couple of months really adds to the experience. It improves all of the flavors and makes it a great smoke.

When you first get your humidor (if you need help picking one, you can always PM me or email me at GolfSpy_Frank@mygolfspy.com), you want to make sure you have humidifiers and a hygrometer. When seasoning your humidor, which is the term used to describe the process of preparing it for use, you want to make sure you have several things:

Seasoning Your Humidor

1-Humidor

1+- Humidifiers (depending on the size)

1- Hygrometer

1 Gallon- Distilled Water (You can get for $1 and it will last you for awhile)

1- Clean Sponge

1- Shallow Dish

As with anything with cigars, there are so many options to do everything. Some people use 50/50 solution and some people do not. This is how I do it.

Humidors should be prepared using distilled water or Propylene Glycol solutions only, any other forms of liquid may cause fungus or mold buildup and potentially ruin your humidor and cigars.

1. Submerge the humidifiers provided with your humidor (black plastic in box or oval shapes) in distilled water and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Remove them from the water and wipe the outside of the humidifiers dry and let it sit on a clean towel to make sure the water is not dripping out. Propylene Glycol solutions are also an alternative.

2. Place a small cup of distilled water into the humidor and attach the humidifiers back into place.

3. Using a clean towel or sponge, soak the towel or sponge until damp and wipe the interior down. Make sure walls are moist but not dripping.

4. The process for the humidor to set up may range from 3-6 days. Please check the hygrometer for proper reading before placing your cigars into the humidor.

5. I prefer to repeat the steps above every 24 hours, depending on what they hygrometer reads. Read the steps below before continuing.

While going through this process, you want to calibrate your hygrometer. Some digital hygrometers will come pre-calibrated, but most analogs do not. Here is how to calibrate it:

1. Place a small amount of table salt (teaspoon or so) into a small cup and put a few drops of distilled water into it.

2. Place the dampened salt and hygrometer inside a well sealed container or zip lock bag that is clear to ensure you can read the RH level. (Do not put the salt / water directly onto the hygrometer).

3. After about 6 hours the hygrometer should read at 75%. If your reading is off make sure you have followed the correct steps and adjust the hygrometer accordingly.

After you calibrate the hygrometer, you should place it in the humidor. When seasoning your humidor, do not place your cigars inside until it as your desired humidity. I recommend 65-70% for your first seasoning.

Cigar Repair

There are many things that can go wrong with your cigar. I will try to address some of them, with my personal fixes.

For a peeling or cracked wrapper, I prefer to use real honey and dab it down. I then let it dry and smoke. It seems to work pretty well.

Canoeing

Canoeing-res.jpg

When this occurs while smoking your cigars, it is because you did not light/smoke it correctly. It happens when one side of your cigar becomes hotter than the other side, causing the hotter side to flare up quicker. You can do one of two things. Either decrease the tempo of your smoke. You can also let it cool, clip the end to even it out, and then re-light.

Tunneling

Tunneling-res.jpg

This occurs because the core of the cigar becomes a lot hotter than the surface of the cigar. This happens if you are smoking too slow (opposite of coning, which I will show next). You can fix this by trying to fix it with the lighter and making quicker puffs. You could also let it cool, cut it to make even, and relight.

Coning

coning.jpg

This occurs when the filler warms up and does not have a chance to cool. This causes it to make fire to the binder and wrapper,causing the outside to burn much faster than the inside. This is a result of smoking too fast, and can be fixed by letting it cool down for a while. Since the filler leave gets cold, you can continue enjoying the cigar. Just make sure you smoke slower. You can also let the ash stay on as long as possible until it seems like dropping.

You can have other problems too.If mold appears, or if you have cigar beetles, please ask your tobacconist. It is something that I have never dealt with, so I do not want to give advice on it just yet.

*All pictures from cigars4dummies.com

Etiquette

I added this section because I remember reading an article about it awhile back. It took me some time but I found it.

Cigar Lighting & Cutting Etiquette

Don't cut the end off of someone's cigar without at least asking that person first. Most people prefer to do this themselves.

Never light a cigar with candles and regular matches that have a high sulfur content as these can also ruin the cigar flavors. Also, avoid using lighters that run on gasoline or lighter fluid because they give off a petrol-like order that can add an unpleasant flavor to the cigar.

The best lighters to use are butane lighters, which are odorless. There are also sulfur-free wooden matches that work great for cigar lighting.

Don't hold a lighter or match up for someone to light a cigar. While it may seem like a good rule of etiquette to do so, it may force the smoker draw too fast and can ruin the taste of their cigar. It can force them to light the cigar too fast and ruin it. It is better to give them a lighter or matches and let them light their own cigar at their own pace.

While Smoking - Cigar Smoking Etiquette

While you are smoking the cigar, you should not flick the ash off the end of a cigar. The ash helps to keep the cigar burning at the correct temperature. When the ash looks as if it will fall off by itself, just set the end of the cigar over an ashtray and let the ashes fall off naturally.

Do not smoke a cigar as you would a cigarette. Cigar smoking is not supposed to be rushed and if you smoke quickly your cigar may overheat, which can ruin the taste. Cigars are meant to be a relaxing, calm smoking experience. Take your time, savor the taste and the aroma. One or two puffs per minute should be enough to enjoy the cigar and keep it lit.

Evaluating a cigar is similar to evaluating a glass of wine. To evaluate the flavor of a cigar, hold the smoke in your mouth for a few seconds (don't inhale it into your lungs) and allow your tongue to savor the different taste sensations.

When you are finished with your cigar don't stub it out or crush it, as this will create an unpleasant odor and a mess. You should let the cigar smolder out on its own in an ashtray and dispose of it in a suitable place.

Be considerate of non-smokers. You should smoke only in designated smoking areas.

*Taken from cigarcabana.com

Alright guys, it is done. If I add to it, I will make a post first. I hope you guys enjoy it, and more importantly, I hope it actually helps the beginners in the group. Wow that took a long time haha :lol:

• Like 1

hahahahahaha, DUDE!!!! you covered it ALL....... You're officially THE MAN for covering ALL of this - props, I'm anal about my cigars and didn't disagree with any of that.

and I agree, I prefer keeping my cigars at 65% - I've got beads that work great for me.

geez... now to tell my wife I'm not sitting on the couch with her tonight, but rather figuring out a cigar to light!!

+1000 to you Frank

This guide is just awesome.

Appreciate it and will find some time to get started.

I just found 2 of the biggest mistakes I made when I tried: inhaled it and smoked it too fast :P

I don't like smoke to remain in the house, so I've always smoked on the balcony. Is it recommended during winter? Does temperature affect the smoking experience?

Man, that humidifier thing seems like a bit too much trouble for a beginner :P I guess I'll just buy them from the store and smoke them right away LOL

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Great thread Frank...learned a thing or two too!

BIRDIE COACH & MENTOR, FIRST TEE OF GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 12.6 (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, JULY 2020
:titelist-small: TS2 Driver Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:bettinardi-1:  Putter

:bridgestone-small: 2020 TOUR B RXS
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 3.5 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

+1000 to you Frank

This guide is just awesome.

Appreciate it and will find some time to get started.

I just found 2 of the biggest mistakes I made when I tried: inhaled it and smoked it too fast :P

I don't like smoke to remain in the house, so I've always smoked on the balcony. Is it recommended during winter? Does temperature affect the smoking experience?

Man, that humidifier thing seems like a bit too much trouble for a beginner :P I guess I'll just buy them from the store and smoke them right away LOL

I've personally have had no problems during the winter. The only thing that the temperature influences is how long you are physically able to stay out there. I love doing it in the winter though. And the humidor set-up is a lot easier than it looks. If you get one I can always help you.

Wow. What can I say? I know as much about cigars as most teenaged girls know about cars. A Ferrari F430 is a small car and it is red. A Bentley Continental Flying Spur is a big black car.

When I first saw the "Cigar Lounge" Topic, I thought that was stupid. My participation in that would be, "We played golf and had a cigar on the back nine." So, while I have also seen several threads, I never read one because it was a big dark brown cigar. Why do we need stuff like this on a golf forum? Obviously, I am not a Cigar Aficionado. I have some guys in my regular golf group that smoke them and go on and on at length about them but I do not participate.

However, the reason I do not participate is because I know nothing about them. If I were to join them in their discussion I would quickly prove that I am ignorant of this subject and I can not have that.:D So I simply have not said anything. Last week, one of the guys brought in a big bag full of cigars and gave them to my friend and somehow I ended up smoking it and it was actually very good. Since then I have found myself lusting slightly over his cigars while we were playing.

Today, I saw this thread and read it and I have to say, Thanks. This has a ton of good information. I will study it and now that I have some idea.

I was really surprised how long that cigar lasted. It was given to me at the turn, and I managed to piddle around with it and finally clipping the end about the 12th tee and fired it up waiting on the 13th tee. I generally like my tobacco unsmoked, I ended up throwing it out on the way home after spending over an hour in the bar.

Thanks for the info Frank, now I know when they are comparing the Arturo Fuente Fuente Opus X The Lost City Colorado Piramide and the Arturo Fuente Fuente Opus X The Lost City Colorado Toro that the difference is the shape. And the difference between a Maduro Perfecto and Colorado Perfecto is the strength, flavor, and color.

I am even thinking of buying a cigar sampler.

• Like 1

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Wow. What can I say? I know as much about cigars as most teenaged girls know about cars. A Ferrari F430 is a small car and it is red. A Bentley Continental Flying Spur is a big black car.When I first saw the "Cigar Lounge" Topic, I thought that was stupid. My participation in that would be, "We played golf and had a cigar on the back nine." So, while I have also seen several threads, I never read one because it was a big dark brown cigar. Why do we need stuff like this on a golf forum? Obviously, I am not a Cigar Aficionado. I have some guys in my regular golf group that smoke them and go on and on at length about them but I do not participate.However, the reason I do not participate is because I know nothing about them. If I were to join them in their discussion I would quickly prove that I am ignorant of this subject and I can not have that.:D So I simply have not said anything. Last week, one of the guys brought in a big bag full of cigars and gave them to my friend and somehow I ended up smoking it and it was actually very good. Since then I have found myself lusting slightly over his cigars while we were playing.Today, I saw this thread and read it and I have to say, Thanks. This has a ton of good information. I will study it and now that I have some idea.I was really surprised how long that cigar lasted. It was given to me at the turn, and I managed to piddle around with it and finally clipping the end about the 12th tee and fired it up waiting on the 13th tee. I generally like my tobacco unsmoked, I ended up throwing it out on the way home after spending over an hour in the bar.Thanks for the info Frank, now I know when they are comparing the Arturo Fuente Fuente Opus X The Lost City Colorado Piramide and the Arturo Fuente Fuente Opus X The Lost City Colorado Toro that the difference is the shape. And the difference between a Maduro Perfecto and Colorado Perfecto is the strength, flavor, and color.I am even thinking of buying a cigar sampler.

Haha well im glad! And remember if you have any questions about anything you can always PM me. These guys have a great set of samplers depending on what kind of strength, flavor, or company you like: http://www.famous-smoke.com/search.cfm?category_id=40007&package_type=140006

Very good write up Frank. I can never get the perfect cut, I'm somewhere between the perfect and amateur.

Thank-you! If you are having trouble, I reccommend getting a punch. You can get them for under $5 and it is extremely easy to use. Lightly touch the punch to the center of the head, twist without much pressure, then pull out. You get a perfect circle and draw each time. Just look at the tutorial to see what a proper punch cut looks like. I have actually been using one lately because they usually are small enough and come with a key ring. I always have it on my keys and never have to worry about forgetting a cutter! Hope that helps!