Flv02

Cigars 101- The COMPLETE Tutorial

Thank-you! If you are having trouble, I reccommend getting a punch. You can get them for under $5 and it is extremely easy to use.

…

I'm not a big fan of the punch myself; I find it gets too nasty towards the end and tar can build up which is a little less than pleasant. If you're in need of a little more precision than a guillotine provides, but after the same cut then cigar scissors are absolutely the way to go!

Thank-you! If you are having trouble, I reccommend getting a punch. You can get them for under $5 and it is extremely easy to use. Lightly touch the punch to the center of the head, twist without much pressure, then pull out. You get a perfect circle and draw each time. Just look at the tutorial to see what a proper punch cut looks like. I have actually been using one lately because they usually are small enough and come with a key ring. I always have it on my keys and never have to worry about forgetting a cutter! Hope that helps!

I have 1,000 punches........golf tees. Seriously, thats what I use when I can't find one of my cutters.

I have 1,000 punches........golf tees. Seriously, thats what I use when I can't find one of my cutters.

I have heard of people doing it, but I never tried. Does it work well?

I have heard of people doing it, but I never tried. Does it work well?

Yes, especially if you have a plastic tee.

These guys have a great set of samplers depending on what kind of strength, flavor, or company you like: http://www.famous-sm...age_type=140006

OK, I have a sampler that will be here tomorrow. And just in time. Thursday is Beer Camp. Originally, it was deer camp, and it was the night before deer season opened up. This is a gathering of manly men, cigar smoking, drinking, chili cooking, roasted boar and general man fun. It became such a huge success that it was moved to its own night, the Thursday before the season opens, so that the men had time to recover and sober up before they broke out the high powered weaponry and for some reason the guys did not want to get up before daylight after spending the night drinking. So we changed the name to Beer Camp. There will be more than 50 guys there from the club and this is the only event where no women are allowed. I doubt they would come if they were invited.

But then I travel to Eastern Europe on Sunday so I miss the opening of deer season, not that I would participate, it is generally cold and early in the morning and interferes with my golf game.

I do not have a humidor yet and I do not have a travel case yet. I thought I would wait about that, and look into getting those over there. Things are much cheaper. What I need from you is how best to travel with cigars and keep them fresh. I will probably use the container they shipped in but still looking for advice from you. Feel free to develop a new thread about this if you think it warrants one.

@#$%! I just got an email and my plane reservations have change to later in the month so I am not leaving Sunday. Leaving after Thanksgiving and getting back before Christmas unless things change again. So by then I will have made some decision about the Cigars, and be ordering more and a humidor probably, but the question still applies.

I literally started packing my bags last night. Making sure everything was in order, you can not run to Walmart in Eastern Europe. I had every hour planned this week and boom. Now I have three weeks with nothing to do. Guess I will go play golf.

And remember if you have any questions about anything you can always PM me.

Professor Frank,

I have a question. On this thread and in other places it says that cigars are often better after they have aged in the humidor. The cigars are individually wrapped in plastic so does the cedar and humidity permeate the plastic? How is this different from when they were in the box? It is not like these things came off the assembly line yesterday. (Assembly line, some senoritas hands or thighs or however they are made)

Are you supposed to remove them from the wrapper when transferring them to the humidor?

I got my humidor yesterday and tomorrow I have 62 cigars of 9 different kinds that will be here and hopefully the humidor will be the right humidity by tomorrow.

Hey Rover,

Here are a couple sites I just found. They give a little detail but the main thing about aging is that you want the cigars to take to the environment you are in and adapt from whatever they just went through (shipping packing etc). Aging is a personal preference as is the taste of cigars and it is something that you learn as you do it. there are other sites that did a test week to week with the same cigar over time. I am just new to this process and plan on checking into my multiple cigar collection to try it out. My more expensive sticks I keep one (starting a collection) for aging as well. Maybe when i make some more $ 'll be able to spring for that $300 - $400 box and try those cigars at different times but until then I will learn from what I have.

The first link gives insight to the cello wrapper and benefits (keeping other flavors from marrying). The second shows posts from numerous people about the perceived effects with/without a tube. trial and error may be best to see how "your" sticks work out. I currently have numerous tubes and non tubes mingled and i was not sure if the tube hinders the others but the third link helped me with this again (marrying) is the main concern with flavors

http://cigarsecrets.com/how-to-age-a-cigar/

http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7666095/m/9687032322

http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org/tobacco-accoutrements-college/cigar-preservation4.asp

Professor Frank,

I have a question. On this thread and in other places it says that cigars are often better after they have aged in the humidor. The cigars are individually wrapped in plastic so does the cedar and humidity permeate the plastic? How is this different from when they were in the box? It is not like these things came off the assembly line yesterday. (Assembly line, some senoritas hands or thighs or however they are made)

Are you supposed to remove them from the wrapper when transferring them to the humidor?

I got my humidor yesterday and tomorrow I have 62 cigars of 9 different kinds that will be here and hopefully the humidor will be the right humidity by tomorrow.

Hahahaha professor frank :lol: The plastic wrapper on the cigar is made with a porous material. It is completely up to you whether you keep them on or off while in the humidor. Personally, I keep them on. As fsav said, it prevents the flavors from combining as much.

I am super late to this thread, but really good info Frank! If anyone is still interested/reading this, then I have to add that a notch cut with a (sharp) pocket knife works great in the absence of a punch or cutter. And a good, mellow smoke will easily last the back nine and add to a great outing!

This was a great tutorial, for some reason as I get older, I am smoking more and more Cigars and enjoying it much more. Thanks.

WOw, I've been smoking cigars for many years and I learned a lotr from this! THANKS!!!

Humidor is at 75%, probably too high.

Replaced my "sponge" with trained silicate and only use distilled water!

Wrappers stay on!

THANKS for a GREAT titorial!@! If only we could get all the Jack Rabbits out there to read this!

• Like 1

As I meander through some of the older forum topics, I must say I very much enjoyed this one.  I enjoy a good cigar, both on the course and off, and will tell you from personal experience, often difficult international engagement (think coalition combat planning) is more effective over a couple of good cigars!  To that end, really spectacular cigars like La Flor Dominica Chisel "Air Bender" helped me (and several others I know) overcome cultural differences to achieve superior plans and successful combat operations.  Just sayin...

Great forum topic, Frank, and helps me appreciate the pleasure all the more!

Here is a recent snap of me at a cigars and bourbon tasting - surrounded by a few good athletes, as well as fellow golfers - good time had by all! (thanks again Nelly!)

goalies2.jpg

• Like 1