TESTERS WANTED! ×

Band on, or band off?

GolfSpy Tim

Band or no band  

16 members have voted

1. 1. When smoking your cigar, do you prefer to keep the band on, or take it off?

• On
    • Off

I always keep it on as long as possible. Usually it comes off the cigar right when I begin to smoke the last third.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

• SPY VIP

Leave it on...every now and again the glue sticks and can rip into the wrapper. Once you get closer to the band, the glue heats warms and the band usually falls off on its own.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I smoke with the band on until I'm towards the end and then I tend to keep the band if I enjoyed the cigar for future purchases.

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

• 3 months later...

Off. Someone told me when I first started smoking that it was bad etiquette to leave the band on, like it was considered snobbish or something. Only thing I can figure is that one could be seen as "showing off" if they're smoking a $50 Cuban amongst the Domincan menschs!

I have no idea if this is true, but I've done my part to spread the rumor! It's band off for me just because!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I am a band off guy. Just as I remove the price tag from the clothes before I wear them I remove the band. The band is meaningless to me because I have had some really good cigars that I played like $1,50 and some sucky ones that I paid $6. Therefore I care more about the taste than the band.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

OFF for me.......... especially if there is a slight chance that I am "Nubbing" the cigar. The last HDM EPI#2 was fantastic.......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Hey Guys! Been busy so I haven't been on in awhile but I'm glad to see you all still on. Just so you know, there are cigar, humidor, cutter, and lighter reviews on the way. Sorry it is taking so long guys. I'm just trying to get the format right.

As for me, I'm band on until I reach it and then I take it off and nub it. I always have loved the look of the cigar with the band on. I know I already posted on this topic but I wanted to give you all an update as well.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'm band on when I'm golfing because my cigar holder on my bag is a clamp style and I think it protects the wrapper but at home band off for sure.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Box pass in the future ?????

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

HaHa Dude, the first time that I read your post and saw the $1,50 I didn't see that there was no second zero cuz I was skimmin and I thought $1,500, what the hell? Then I'm thinkin bout it while I'm gettin my therapy, and I was like who in the hell would pay $1500 for a cigar, LOL?

Then I'm thinkin that those Texas winds must have some neuro-numbing, IQ melting toxins in 'em. Then I got back to my room, reread it and figure that it's $150 with no comma intended, HaHa.

Turns out, I'm the one gettin neuro-numbing, IQ(well, at least short-term memory) melting toxins, HaHa ;)

All's good B)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Sorry for all the confusion between the , and the .. I can not see the difference without my glasses and that is the only reason to wear them. I can see the letters but not the punctuation. I bought some Famous Nicaraguan Habano Churchills for 20 for $28 and they were really good cigars. Maybe not the best I have ever had but certainly in the top 10% and these are darned cheap. But I meant $1.50 or a buck and a half. (Yes, I realize the math works out to $1.40) I would not pay $150 for a cigar. I have had the Drew Estates Earthiness that was probably the most flavorful I have ever had but it was $6. Now, I could see that as a special occasion cigar but since I am going to smoke two or three a day while playing golf (or none) I am not interested in spending an additional $20 a day for something that I am going to light on fire. I also can not think of an occasion that is special enough to smoke a $150 cigar. I guess if they elect me Pope at the end of next month I will smoke a $1500 cigar.

Oh yeah, the $1.50 cigar. They may not give you the perfect burn but I am going to lay the darned thing on the ground 25 or 30 times while I am making a shot. It may burn just fine if all you are doing is sitting and smoking a cigar and having an adult beverage. I have different cigars for that.

I have had the Famous Nicaraguan Habanos in Double Corona and Churchill both. These are my daily smokers but have also had the Final Blend Churchill also. This is a really good cigar that is currently $58 / 20. These are really good but the those Famous Nicaraguan Habanos are a real steal. I tried some Augusto Reyes Factory Select Double Coronas but they were not as good as the Habanos. The Final Blends are really good but I am not sure they are twice as good as the Habanos.

I got a box of Vitolas Especiales Gigantes free one time and they tasted a bit like a paper bag.

I prefer the Habano or Maduro a fuller flavor. I have had some $4-5 Rocky Patel's that were not as good as these Habano. A good friend of mine who is a cigar snob, did not want to admit that they were better than his Patel's but he ordered some.

I am such a novice in this regard - had my first cigar ever last October and now I'm hooked. Just finished a delightful Monte Cristo and am polishing off my neat Glenmorenge that I had with - buried a dear, dear parishioner this afternoon and smoked it and am drinking to his honor.

I take the band off but what the heck do I know other than the cigar and scotch are great. So is this Zhivago movie I'm watching - great book too - can't wait to play on Tuesday.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 7 months later...

Archived