Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

When do you Ho the most?

hckymeyer

I'm curious when everyone's inner ho comes out the most?

For me it usually happens at the end of the season and over the winter when I can't play. I stop remembering how much I like my current setup and start thinking about all the things I want to try. Maybe a new putter, maybe a 16* hybrid, maybe a 3w instead of my 4w. Should I play with my gaps in the wood/hybrid/long iron range? Should I try the new BiMatrix shaft (love the blue!)

All those thoughts are starting to creep into my head now that I can't play as often. During the spring and summer when I can play at least a few times each week I don't think about switching clubs. I'm more concerned with just playing and hitting what I have better.

So for me idle minds/hands = me wanting to buy golf stuff.

Is there a time of year when your inner ho comes out?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Monday mornings.

I usually played all weekend and am not happy about something that happened, so I look. I do not necessarily buy. But I we feeling "ho"-y right now.

Since I have two sets of clubs I can be very happy by swapping back and forth.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Guess I'll post a follow up question as well.

Does having been fit or not fit for a piece of gear make you any more or less likely to change it or want to Ho?

I was fit for a driver last spring and my irons about a month ago. I have had zero desire to change either one of those. But I haven't been fit for fairway woods, hybrids or my putter so I still feel like it's OK to Ho around with those clubs.

For some reason if I even think about a change to the driver or irons it feels like I'm cheating, when it comes to everything else I'm still single.

Update: After brainstorming all morning about my next Ho project I've decided I need to try a Neon Blue BiMatrix shaft in the 13* V-Steel head I have on my workbench.

Worst Ho'ing is usually November or March.

November is when all the demo and returned clubs go on sale here and there are some pretty sweet deals to be had (I picked up one of the limited white S3's last year that looked like it was never hit for $70 for example). March equally tends to be bad if there's a shaft or 5 I want to test out that wasn't released until the PGA show. From Jan to March is usually when the "street" price is really set and availability isn't really an issue.

Should be a cheaper November this year though. I'm only looking for one specific club.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I say that I am feeling like a Ho, but in reality, I am only disappointed with my "Traveling" irons. I said that I was gaming them because I wanted to take them to Florida and wanted more forgiveness but I did not hit many greens with them. Way less than normal and while in theory they are longer than my Mizzies, this did not turn out to be the case this weekend. However, I am not buying anything now. I am just window shopping.

I am just going to the bar, wearing short skirts, and low cut top, but I am drinking club soda and going home alone.

I really wanted to try the Bi Matrix shaft, but am hitting the R11 with the Talamonti better than anything ever, and seriously out drove my competition this weekend and as long and in the fairway so I will have to wait.

More than I can count!!.lol. Steven said it best a while ago. I got issues. I accept 'em, ignore 'em, and keep going(& buying..lol).

LOL RP, we all have issues... the only difference is YOU can afford to have them :D

Off-season hits me hard too... I start looking for closeouts, Black Friday, Christmas sale, etc.

For instance, Cobra AMP driver was on sale for $169 a while back on rockbottomgolf. Should I buy it? The new Cell will launch in February. If I buy it now I'll have it sitting in the basement until April.

But you got a point, being fit for gear reduces that ho-ing desire of changing. I love my MP59 and I will stick with them for a few seasons. But I wasn't fit for my driver, FW, hybrids and wedges... so I would like to think I still have some room for improvement.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

Like Tuna, November seems to be when the cheap demo stuff is available and that's when I truly get the itch for equipment. But let's face it, year round I'm always jones'in for something new. The only problem I have with the whole club hoe thing is having to hear from Nidine, "Do you really need another putter?". Man we can be out talking golf with friends and all I hear is "geez he's got like 10 putters!" :)

Ahh I love her and that's why until her bag is complete I put a lot of my hoing energy into her's. :P For instance this years birthday was:

temporary-56_zps688881fa.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

ALL YEAR LONG.

It's an addiction....I might need a 12-step program.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

All year long here too.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Before a round, during a round, after a round.....I guess I'm just a round 'ho!

If bought a putter at the turn before, even swithched irons at the turn.

I have no problem switching, trading clubs, or buying them when the moment strikes. I guess it's really the most after a bad round, and I know it's not my fault that the ball doesn't go where I want it to, so it must be the set of irons or woods I have!

Sometimes reality sets in when you are trading in clubs and you see the trade in value, and start thinking that I shouldn't take this beating, but that new driver, irons, etc., will change my game.

There's supposed to be a set time to do it?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I was deployed for a couple months this summer, and that really set off my ho'n... I bought two brand new sets of Wilson Staff irons before even getting home. I also get weak in the massive used club section at the Brookfield Golfsmith in Wisconsin. I've nearly reached a happy medium point though. I've got the two nice sets of new irons (now W/S and Mizzy) and the old school blades (powerbilt), with a gaggle of excellent wedges. Driver is perfect, putters are good. I may be content to just alternate through my own gear once I get maybe another set of KBS shafts and possibly a set of Wilson Staff FG-17s (I HAVE to have some).

I guess the moral of the story is that I'm always at some level of club sluttiness. Always.

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

• SPY VIP

Right now is a good time to club ho.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did not jump on the iomic deal that golfsmith had yesterday. $5 per grip was tough to pass up on though.

Search Iomic on the GS site, maybe you can do a little shoppin' :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

LMAO. I couldn't pass it up. Bought 20 grips..lol

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Atta boy :)

I just spent the last 10 min cruising for putters. There is no ho like a putter ho, as you well know B)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Before a round, during a round, after a round.....I guess I'm just a round 'ho!

If bought a putter at the turn before, even swithched irons at the turn.

I have no problem switching, trading clubs, or buying them when the moment strikes. I guess it's really the most after a bad round, and I know it's not my fault that the ball doesn't go where I want it to, so it must be the set of irons or woods I have!

Sometimes reality sets in when you are trading in clubs and you see the trade in value, and start thinking that I shouldn't take this beating, but that new driver, irons, etc., will change my game.

I hear you talking.

I am also most likely to be in the market when I am looking for a solution to a swing problem regardless that I am very aware that the fault is somewhere in me not the club. It's so much easier to blame something else than to take personal responsibility and so much more fun to buy something new. :rolleyes:

Shambles

Well I did bite the bullet and order a BiMatrix shaft in neon blue. Hopefully that can tide me over for a little bit. For now I'm thinking I'm going to throw it in a 13* V-Steel head I have laying around.

Now that I think about it I think the one thing that truly saved me from being such a Ho this summer isn't that I was completely content with my current setup. It's that I was spending all my golf gear money on customizing my cart.

I'm going to the golf store in the morning. Not playing until Friday, so I might make a trip on Friday morning also!

You know that it's bad, when you stop into every golf shop within a 100 mile radius and they know you by your first name!

I get into a lot of shops covering my sales territory.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I got bit hard this past week. Picked up the neon blue BiMatrix shaft with the thought of putting it in an old V-Steel head I had laying around. Then decided maybe I should look at a new 3w. Was in a Golfsmith for the sole purpose of buying a .335 to .350 shim to install the shaft and found a Rocketballz tour 3w used for $100 and couldn't pass it up. Still not sure if I'm going to put the shaft in the V-Steel or into the Rocketballz.

Now for putters. I wanted to try out putting lefty, so went to Sports Authority with a 25% off coupon and picked up the cheapest LH I could find. It was only $20, but it was still a club. During the same trip to Golfsmith when I got the 3w I was testing out some belly putters while I waited for the guy to find the shim. Fell in love with a Seemore FGP belly, but didn't buy it at the time. Found it on ebay the next day (today) and decided I needed to have that too. Then also had to order a new blue grip for it.

So a shaft, two putters, a grip and a 3w in the same week for a guy that says he is very happy with his bag. I love this game :)

I think I am about to swap my C Taper XS for some Tours. Actually, I know I am, but I am not in any hurry to do so. I took the C Tapers out of my Hogans and installed a set of Royal Precision Flighted shafts, pre-Project x and pre- True Temper. I got these earlier this year, before I got the C Tapers, and swapped them this afternoon. Playing with them tomorrow and all weekend. The I am here next week then off to Bulgaria for 10 days. My project when I return will be to change the X100s I have in my Mizzies for KBS Tours.

Archived