Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

CREATING BUZZ - Taylormade (vs) Cleveland

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Many of you might have received this email from Cleveland Golf yesterday. Just got me thinking...who do you think is doing a better job of having you "Save the Date" for their latest launch. I will leave it up to you...leaving my opinion out of this one.

cleveland-tm-save-date.jpg

247381_432467186811536_895483693_n.jpg

#TruthDigest

Being the second man in is never a good thing. The fact that I'm not even on Cleveland's mailing list should tell you all you need to know. It's been a while since I've been a TMag fan but they can't be ignored when it comes to equipment - Cleveland can and probably will be.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just feel like Cleveland wants to get on the band wagon... it works for TM, so let's do the same! No creativity!

On the other hand, since golfers are probably used to TM's marketing strategies and most of them are getting sick of it... something new, something never done by the underdog could bring us some fresh air.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

TM

You can tell by the shadow that this is yet another push of the "wedge company" identity for Cleveland. Adding another variation on a wedge to an already pretty crowded product line-up doesn't seem that game changing. I think that the classic putter line and last year's driver show more of a change in the marketplace.

Ignoring too, of course, that Mr. Cleveland is with Callaway...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Cleveland makes golf clubs?

Next thing you know they will have a line of golf balls and putters. Who would have thought?

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

could not give two hoots what Taylor Made do, Hate the brand with a passion, i mean if you took all their advertising seriously over the last ten years we should all be hitting our drivers about 100 yards further !

Dont believe the hype.

I just looked at the WITB thread of the winners this last weekend. There were 6 tournaments. Two winners, I believe are Cleveland/Srixon/Never Compromise staffers. Ok, that is impressive. But two were TMag staffers. OK, I am also impressed. However, when you look in the bag, there were TMag drivers or fairway woods in the bags of all the winners this week. Even the C/S/N Staffers have TMag clubs. No one not paid to play them had C/S/N in the bag.

That is buzz to me. TMag is the king of buzz and from a marketing stand point, every time someone removes the Mizuno, Cleveland, Cobra, or what ever cover and there is a white headed driver of fairway metal I can hear the buzzer going off.

I was interested in the Cleveland ad, until I clicked on it and saw it was just the wedge we've been talking about for over a month. Not that I have a problem with the wedge, I actually like it, but I'm not going to game it and it just isn't very exciting no matter how you pimp it. "Save the Date", for a wedge? Meh. . . Even though I like Clevelands clubs they just aren't very good at getting me excited about them.

As for TaylorMade, their schtick is pretty predictable, and as much as I don't "buy the hype" I do think TM does some things very well. My last 3 (and soon to be 4) drivers have been TaylorMade, and that isn't because of any brand loyalty on my part, it's because I have gotten the best results with them and part just the right club finding my hands at the right time.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

The TM ad looks like a fitting start for a Halloween campaign. The word Freakish coupled with the dark look on Sergio's face makes me think he is about to kill someone.

The Cleveland ad does nothing for me. It's vague, cliche, and boring. The more I look at it the more I hate it from a design layout perspective.

Overall there's no emotion in the Cleveland ad, so it needs to be filed in the garbage. The only thing I wonder is why TM choose that yellow-ish color for their text? Seems out of character for the RocketBallz company that has rebranded itself as bright and poppy - bright green, metallic red, and white heads.

I spy with my little eye something...

could not give two hoots what Taylor Made do, Hate the brand with a passion, i mean if you took all their advertising seriously over the last ten years we should all be hitting our drivers about 100 yards further !

Dont believe the hype.

Great to have you on the forum. I agreed totally with you before I joined this site. Even afterwards I agreed. I went and proved to myself that the RBZ hype was just hype. Still, I had to admire TMag from a marketing stand point. However, the one thing this site has taught me more than anything is to give everything a fair shake.

The RBZ crap of 17 yards more did not turn out to be true in my case. However, that does not mean it is not a good club. But I tried out some TMag products and honestly I found them to be better in some areas and worse in some areas but as you can see, I have now had some TMag Koolaide.

In the case of the driver I like the adjustments on it. In the case of the FM I liked turf interaction. I am sure the same could be said about Cleveland. However, if you want a true new Cleveland wedge, you have to buy from Callaway.

What I find amusing is that the teaser ad says "OUR best spin technology ever".

Not, the best spin, or ass-kicking spin....etc. If their own marketing doesn't think it's the best why the heck would I think so?

No, the only new wedges I'm considering is are the SCOR wedges. I'm just not sure they are $110 better than the Diamond Tour's I'm playing now.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Meh, we've know about the RTX faces for a while now. If you want real buzz you've got to a) let NOBODY but those high up in the company (don't even tell the reps) know about it, and don't freaking give away what club you're releasing.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

No, the only new wedges I'm considering is are the SCOR wedges. I'm just not sure they are $110 better than the Diamond Tour's I'm playing now.

I struggle a bit with this as well, and I would probably have NEVER considered paying such a premium price for a wedge sight unseen. I won my first SCOR wedge on their Facebook contest and really liked it. I had some gap issues to fix so I decided to buy three more which I think made them $125/each. Now, I was comparing them to new Mizuno or Scratch wedges, the Mizzys were going to be $109 each and the Scratch were going to be $120, so my comparison point was a bit different than yours. Basically, I said "to hell with it, I like them and I'm going to get them!", then I won two more, so when you consider that I have 6 SCOR wedges for the price of 3, my effective cost is probably cheaper than your Diamond Tours! :P

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I dont get why people give TMag such a hard time for its marketing campaigns. Marketing campaigns are made for the people who dont have a higher knowledge for clubs and club performancs, unlike most of the MGS member who generally have this higher knowledge of clubs. Never once did I believe that RBZ would give me 17 more yards... until I tested and it was a great club. But there are alot of golfers who just buy clubs for the hell of it, like my dad, and they see something on TV whether it be an "extremely long" driver or the most controllable golf ball.

TMag is a genius in the business world because they get people to go out and try their clubs or if not create an advertisement that says "you will hit it 17 yards further", so then people just buy it on the spot.

As for Cleveland doing/trying the same types of ad campaigns, I give them 2 thumbs up becuase it works very well for TMag, why not try it for themselves?

We may not like it but TM knows how to market. They use what is hot in other industries and use it in the golf industry. That is something 98% of golfers can identify with.

The other 2% are here on MGS, on WRX, etc discussing all the minutest details (like that MGS discussion on TM loft). 98% don't really care about that and those are where the sales are.

The only way others can catch up is to copy, the 98% will not care about that copycat-ing.

so when you consider that I have 6 SCOR wedges for the price of 3, my effective cost is probably cheaper than your Diamond Tours! :P

If they PM'd me with a buy 3 get 3 free, I'd be all over it :D :D :D

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Taken in isolation the TM add is better. The font, the shadow lighting, the use of a tour player and the exaggerated freak terminology all make statement. The Cleveland ad is just dull.

But taken as part of all the latest TM offerings it is getting a bit repetitive isn't it? Everything is freakishly longer than whatever thing we were talking about being freakishly long before. Pretty predictable.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

The rules of marketing are that:

1. Your company has a really good product (subjective of course) and they continue to promote them, or

2. Your company is in trouble and they have hired a marketing guru to solve their problems.

I will leave this up to you to decide which company thinks they have a good product and which one is in trouble. But only one sacked their CEO recently!

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Cleveland's marketing guru did a terrible job. The ad GIVES AWAY to all but the most ignorant people that a new wedge is coming out and it has advanced spin technology probably called Rotex. TM's ad made us all think for a while.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I'm not going to lie. The TM ad doesn't nothing for me. 1. Sergio doesn't move the needle anymore to me. 2. They've been touting more and more distance every year. Of course the RBZ 3 wood was longer, ever get the loft checked on them, it says 15 but it's 12.5 degrees.

Personal preference, but I wedges. I like things that I know I can utilize better. My scoring comes from wedge play and short game. Bring on the wedges!

Considering Cleveland's new lines have already been seen, nothing surprising is coming from them.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

In this instance, Cleveland. Sergio isnt exactly the poster boy that he once was. :lol:

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Just for these two ad's? TM.

They at least make people want to tune in and figure out what it is. With the Cleveland ad, it's obvious it's a wedge and only people interested in Cleveland wedges are going to tune it. To me, that equates to TM having a larger pool of potential viewers to draw upon, thus leading to more potential sales from the viewership thus meaning it's a more effective ad.

Then again, I'm not in advertising and marketing/sales people tend to hate me since I won't sugar coat things, so what do I know.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

then I won two more, so when you consider that I have 6 SCOR wedges for the price of 3, my effective cost is probably cheaper than your Diamond Tours! :P

If they PM'd me with a buy 3 get 3 free, I'd be all over it :D :D :D

OK....so I just scored a set of 5 for $250. I'm happy now :)

2 are the same loft though, so I'm either going to have to bend it or trade it for a different loft. Still happy. :D

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Archived