TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why do you play golf?

Benny

For something slightly philosophical; why do you play the game?

For me it's simply a time to relax and enjoy camaraderie. Something about hitting balls with a stick helps guys bond apparently...

There's something therapeutic about it - the mathematics and energy that go into a perfect swing. Few things are as satisfying.

It's also a nice time to think - especially If I'm alone.

100% for stress relief.

Killing balls at the range is my preferred method of chilling out after an annoying meeting. Being a course, even when I'm not having a good round is relaxing enough that everything else can go away for awhile.

A sucky shot is only annoying for a minute or so, a project team not following instructions is like a week of annoyance. I'll take being on the course and a bad shot every time.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Good question. There are lots of things I like about it, but the thing that got in my blood is the challenge. The perfect shot is the best feeling out, but it's elusive so you just have to keep chasing it. Even the best rounds could have been better. It's a game you never beat.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I started golf being I just like being outside. I can't stand being inside for long.

At one point it was relaxing, but I'm so dead set on trying to become good that I'm not sure it's all that relaxing anymore, unless I'm out with friends in which case I don't try so hard. Like Matt and MBP, I love the challenge and the carrot on a stick that is the perfect shot, drive, or putt. One of these days I'll have time to play every day, but for now my goal is 10-15 handicap.

100% for stress relief.

Killing balls at the range is my preferred method of chilling out after an annoying meeting. Being a course, even when I'm not having a good round is relaxing enough that everything else can go away for awhile.

A sucky shot is only annoying for a minute or so, a project team not following instructions is like a week of annoyance. I'll take being on the course and a bad shot every time.

Ditto for me.

Plus, golf overall is still cheaper than having a mistress, getting caught, and getting divorced.

The challenge to get better.

Also my 8 year old started in a junior program 6 months ago and there was no way I could let him beat me before he turns 10 at least.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

The challenge to get better.

Also my 8 year old started in a junior program 6 months ago and there was no way I could let him beat me before he turns 10 at least.

AJ

Damn, can't believe I forgot about that. One of my main goals of playing golf has always been that it's something I do with my son and can continue to do even when I get old.

I started playing because my dad played. I'm 33 now, but started hitting balls in the backyard with my dad around 5 I'd guess. Since I've grown up and moved to another state I don't get to play with him nearly as often as I'd like, but I absolutely cherish the times I do get to spend with him on the course. I can't wait until my little guy is old enough to come with me. I can only hope he falls in love with this game as much as I have.

I play now mostly for the reasons a lot of folks have already listed. The constant challenge to get better, the joy of hitting that perfect shot/putt/round, the comradery of playing a round with close friends, getting paired with a stranger and getting to know them over the course of a round. There are so many things to love about this game it's hard to pick one or even name them all.

I think golf optimizes the old saying about "it's not the destination, it's the journey".

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

When I first started playing it was because it was fun. Now a few years later its because I absolutely love it and appreciate the challenge. Golf if the only thing I've ever found other than painting that can really let me escape from the rest of the world for a few hours a day.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Think I'm just hooked on the never ending task to get better. It's something I'll never perfect but can always try to hit the perfect shot each time.

100% exactly how I feel. Thanks :)

I play because of the challenge. Golf is not something someone can pickup in a day like most sports. It takes time, patience, and effort which keep the game attractive... But as for relieving stress, nothing does the trick like a good old fashion contact sport.

I started playing golf as a way to go "out with the guys" and get away from life for a few hours. That devolved into a new outlet for my competitive side. I became OBSESSED with getting better and better at the game, slowly loosing the enjoyment factor. Luckily for me, My life has changed dramatically in the last 12 years, and I no longer need to be the best at anything (Except best Dad), and consequently, I really do enjoy playing golf now. And I mean PLAYING golf.. Shaping shots, hitting 3 less clubs than needed, putting from 40 yards.... Having fun.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I love the game for many reasons.

I love being outside, golf is just a great way to enjoy a beautiful day, a great way to watch the seasons change.

I love the friendships that form around and through the game. I like that I can step onto a tee box with 3 strangers and be fairly confident that just our common interest in the game will likely produce a good time with good company.

I like the purely individual challenge of the game. I like that I can see improvement, that practice pays off. I like it when I finally apply the little thing that I've been working on properly and it pays off.

I like the competition. I love sticking the peg in the ground with a group of fellow competitors and going at it, seeing who is better that day. There's few things better than victory in golf!

I have no idea what single thing I could find that fills all those things at once. What a game!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Played 6 holes the other day with my son. I played off the members tees and he started from the Tiger tees (about 150 Metres out). I played off scratch and he played off his HC of 18.

Damn it was close. If I hadn't chipped in on the last he would have beat me. (or we would have played another hole) rolleyes.gif

Awesome fun.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Archived