Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Effects Of Extending Shaft

Ice

I just got a Srixon Z-Star 5 wood, all stock with the Dromos shaft. I want to pull the shaft and extend it an inch for use in a 3 wood. Will the extension affect playability at all? How will it change the feel of the club? Will swing weight be affected? I've never extended a shaft before so I want to make sure it won't overly change the shaft by adding an inch.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Some/many 5-wood shafts are tipped 1/2" more than 3-wood shafts. If it was, it will play a little stiffer. Otherwise I wouldn't expect it to make any difference.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Some/many 5-wood shafts are tipped 1/2" more than 3-wood shafts. If it was, it will play a little stiffer. Otherwise I wouldn't expect it to make any difference.

I have no problem with stiffer so this should work great.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

1) Almost all shafts in Fairway metals and Hybrids recommend tipping them into heads that have more loft then say a 3metal or 16* hybrid (1 iron). They mostly do this for ball flight (launch angle) and spin optimization on the higher lofted heads. most time people can't really tell the different in the tipped and non tipped shafts. If you have a high swing speed it would probably be more noticeable. With the added head weight in higher lofted fairways and hybrids a lot of times it will offset the tip cut and act normal (way they recommend it) so the shaft is not bending at the tip like it's soft stepped.

2) As for playing it 1" over, that is not going to effect literal playability of the shaft. No it does not effect flex, the only way to change flex is to tip trim with the same head weight. What will be effected by playing it 1" over is swing weight and FEEL of the shaft, it will likely feel heavier and a softer flex shaft. Let me give you proof of what I mean. 265CPM @ 43" (standard x-stiff) well play that same thing at 44" you get roughly 265-(44-43)*8.6 = 256.4 CPM (also x-stiff). Just like cutting it shorter would make the club FEEL lighter and stiffer 265+(43-42)*8.6 = 273.6 CPM (still x-stiff). Everything is based on length and the same head weight basically. flex is not a flat line, it is a linear progressive line.

In short I agree with GolfSpy Tim, really a fairway metal (3, 4, 5, 6, 7) is not meant to be hit a long ways, it is meant to be a placement tool where accuracy maters, like an iron but with a longer shaft and different looking head. My fairway metal comes out of the bag in two main situations (I carry a single 4 wood). First being off the tee to stay short of something or work the ball a little easier (most the time both cases are true). The other case is going for a long par 5 in two, which is sort of rare honestly most the courses I play have really guarded par 5 greens. In both cases ACCURACY are a premium and necessary, so I am after control more then distance on anything less then Driver.

Really even on Driver I have a purpose with my distance and control, I back off my driver a lot of times to make sure I find a fairway, 60 to 80% swings are more then fine, I can get away with that due to my length I can hit balls 300+ with the driver but I'd rather be 280 in the center of the fairway personally or on the side of the fairway I wanted to have a good angle into the green. I personally find that accuracy and control leads to lower scores more then pure distance.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived