Testers Wanted! Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wedge shafts steel or graphite

You can buy the Lobster direct from Aldila here, they're $11 each: http://www.aldilastore.com/servlet/-strse-Closeout-Shafts/Categories

OK...thanks.

I can't believe I'm considering a shaft called "The Lobster" :blink:

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I sort of have a few opinions on this concept.

1) yes you can use graphite in your wedges if you really wanted to, yes you can use steel in wedges and graphite in irons, there is no written rules in wedges that you most follow it is more a personal feel and performance thing honestly. Whatever makes your feel and control of the shot the best is what it all boils down to.

2) I don't like the concept of a "spinner" shaft personally, I think it is mostly a marketing tool to charge more for a 8iron shaft with a different design. i sort of laugh at people sometimes when they talk about "you should always play a flex softer then your irons in wedges you don't swing them full 99% of the time" where it is partially true, it is not completely accurate. DG s400 ~ 6.0 FCM (straight in), DG x100 (ss 2x) ~ 6.2 FCM we are talking about 0.2 FCM that is purely a feel thing in the butt in transition at that point. The spinner shaft would act more like a "stiff" in majority of cases.

3) Spin comes from equipment, clean grooves, and proper technique, you give a tour professional a shaft the is for example a PX 7.0 in a wedge where they will hate the feel they will still be able to spin and stop the ball just fine. Open the face, hit down on on the ball catching ball first, and presto, loft and ball dot the work well enough for it to be controllable.

In the end that was a long winded point to say "whatever you like to feel in your swing with wedges assuming you have proper technique the ball will spin regardless".

I just try to match my iron shaft weight with the same weight or heavier weight in the wedges. If you notice I play a full bag of KBS shafts, 3 / 4 irons = KBS Tour X (130g), 5-P irons KBS C-Taper (130g), GW/SW/LW all KBS Tour Wedge X (130g). If I played DG x100 in my irons, I would probably go with a DG x200 ss 2x additional weight and little more tip action in the wedges.

If I were to play DG shafts in my irons I'd go for a DG x200 in the wedges ss 2x, additional weight for feel and a little more tip action to help soften up the shaft a little.

I also match the shaft design to the groove design of the wedge. My old vokey wedges non-conforming needed a shaft like PX or CT in them to reduce spin, the Nike I played needed as much help as they could get to add spin. The Mizuno I play now with the shafts are perfect combo. You just have to play around with what shaft you like and what head feel and groove pattern you like. Takes a little time and money but in long run you'll know what you "go to" is going to be.

Thanks, Lots of great info in this.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Thanks, Lots of great info in this.

AJ

I like to say "there is no quick fix in golf", If you scoop your wedges a spinner shaft isn't going to do much more then any other shaft in terms of adding spin. Everyone should just find a shaft they are confident with in wedges stick to it and practice. Short game practice for everyone can shave the most strokes the fastest majority of the time.

Difference between a scratch golfer and a tour professional is putting and short game, difference between a 8 handicap and a 3 is also short game almost all the time some exceptions exist.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived