Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TaylorMade RocketBladez Tour Iron

Tony Covey MGS

The pictures at the front of this thread are of the RocketBladeZ Tour irons. This is a pretty good looking iron IMO. However, if you got the TMag website they have the pictures of the RocketBladeZ irons. They are not near as good looking.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On a side note, that golf bag is appallingly ugly.

I wonder how customized they had to go for Sergio with him. I seem to recall that he actually played onset irons instead of offset. I haven't a clue if that's true anymore though.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

I wonder how customized they had to go for Sergio with him. I seem to recall that he actually played onset irons instead of offset. I haven't a clue if that's true anymore though.

Yes...very ugly bag, but he's got to show support for his metric football club, I guess.

I can't speak to Sergio's RocketBladez specifically, but what I can tell you based on my conversations with the guys at The Kingdom is that he has some of the most unusual fitting requirements in golf. He plays a very short driver (43.5"), with a very heavy shaft (100+) to mitigate his transition (and other swing quirks).

It wouldn't shock me to find out his irons were similarly bizarre.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I recall something about his hand speed being too fast in his release as well and thus the heavier shaft.

Isn't the 43.5/44 bracket on the more common side on the tour? I thought the average was under 45" and there were quite a few in the 43.5 range (Garcia and Donald being the most prominent).

Ahhh crazy fittings. There's nothing like it.

I equally suspect given your swing T, that you could probably play Sergio's driver and be quite happy.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

I recall something about his hand speed being too fast in his release as well and thus the heavier shaft.

Isn't the 43.5/44 bracket on the more common side on the tour? I thought the average was under 45" and there were quite a few in the 43.5 range (Garcia and Donald being the most prominent).

Ahhh crazy fittings. There's nothing like it.

I equally suspect given your swing T, that you could probably play Sergio's driver and be quite happy.

It's something I've thought about. I'm basically Sergio without a decent swing plane. When I was out at The Kingdom last January, and the guys weren't having much luck finding something that would work for me, they started talking about grabbing one of Sergio's shafts for me. I think they were joking, but only a little.

At last report, Tour average was 44.5"...and yet, most drivers on the market today are 45.75", but I have noticed a slight trend towards shorter shafts.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Yes...very ugly bag, but he's got to show support for his metric football club, I guess.

I can't speak to Sergio's RocketBladez specifically, but what I can tell you based on my conversations with the guys at The Kingdom is that he has some of the most unusual fitting requirements in golf. He plays a very short driver (43.5"), with a very heavy shaft (100+) to mitigate his transition (and other swing quirks).

It wouldn't shock me to find out his irons were similarly bizarre.

Imagine what his irons are like if he plays a 100+ gram shaft in his driver. Although I'm not that sure, doesn't he play Nippon Pro Modus 3 shafts in his irons. On another note, I'm curious to see how these irons perform because they look nice according to the pictures.

Sergio likes low offset but it was Retief that TM would have to produce onset irons for. Another quirky fit. He wanted heavy irons shafts with not so heavy swingweights so most of his stuff was counterbalanced.

Imagine what his irons are like if he plays a 100+ gram shaft in his driver. Although I'm not that sure, doesn't he play Nippon Pro Modus 3 shafts in his irons. On another note, I'm curious to see how these irons perform because they look nice according to the pictures.

Last I heard, you are correct about the Modus 3's. The Modus rocks, feels better than any other iron shaft, IMO.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Avery Reed, who fit me for TMag, has worked extensively with Sergio. The issue is his hand speed which is way too fast. The shaft is 103 grams along with a 25 gram plug in the heal of his driver and the 43.5 inch shaft they can get the hand speed down to 18 mph which is the ideal.

There were no such issues in fitting me. :)

I thought that Luke Donald was using a 44 inch driver but could easily be mistaken - I'm so new to this fitting thing particularly to knowing what changes in equipment affect ball slight in what way -

As much as I enjoy everyone on this site I really enjoy it when those things are being discussed.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

Also with the R1 logo on his cap too.

Whoops. I guess the hat must not be under embargo.

Archived