TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's Your Pre-Shot Routine?

I tee the ball with no words showing so I don't focus on them. I then stand behind and pick out the shot I want to hit in my head take a couple practice swings perpendicular to the ball aka 90 degrees. Don't ask why just do. I then walk up set my club to my target feet together then set the left then the right. A few waggles and let it rip. Occasionally it goes where I intend it too!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for some reason I continue to watch Michael Breed on Golf Channel.  Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, has great advice and seems like a very good teacher.

But it's just like when I read Golf Digest - there's so much advice, tips, techniques, etc. that it gets a bit overwhelming and I just start overthinking things.

I kind of like Tiger Woods advice - the objective is to get that ball in that hole as quickly as possible, no matter how you do it.  =)

Anyhow - enough of the rant... 

Just wondering if you guys have a preshot routine you use every time you hit the ball (not putting)... Breed is a big proponent of this and I haven't really developed a complete one yet so if anyone has any tips/techniques they use I'm all ears.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I don't have anything too specific or rely on anything.   I don't generally take a practice swing at all.  I do like to stand directly behind the ball to eyeball my alignment though

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I don't have anything too specific or rely on anything.   I don't generally take a practice swing at all.  I do like to stand directly behind the ball to eyeball my alignment though

I've heard that Nicklaus used to pick 'something' in front of his ball ... about 3-4 feet ... that he would use for alignment to his target.  Idea being that if he lined up with that spot and hit the ball correctly he'd be aligned properly.

Is that a technique you used when standing behind the ball?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I've heard that Nicklaus used to pick 'something' in front of his ball ... about 3-4 feet ... that he would use for alignment to his target.  Idea being that if he lined up with that spot and hit the ball correctly he'd be aligned properly.

Is that a technique you used when standing behind the ball?

No, more of a visualization.   Trying to make sure I align my club with the target and not my body/feet......i think it has helped me a bit since I started doing it last year some time.    I stand behind and line up where I want to go, then step up to the ball, still directly behind it, then rotate my body into position (hope I described that correctly)

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

What you do for a pre-shot routine doesn't really matter; what matters is that you do it the same every time.  When I started doing the same thing for each swing, my game improved.  

As for alignment to target, I visualize the shot I want from behind the ball and pick out my target, usually something high like the top of a tree; I've even used a cloud when we have them.  As long as my alignment to target is correct, I usually don't have an issue with hitting it straight.  I have more of an issue with making solid contact!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I absolutely have a pre-shot routine - it's extremely important but it has also changed a bit over the years.  In fact I've found that changing the pre-shot routine a bit is a great way to get out of a rut.

The key is to find something that works and stick to it.  I suppose the one shot that I don't have a clear routine for would be chip/pitches around the green - I have a routine but it shifts a bit depending upon the type of shot - sometimes a chip or sand shot requires a bit more snooping around because it's not so basic - I still have a way that I assess the situation and I try and take practice strokes until I find the one that will produce the shot that I visualize. 

I can't imagine that you would find any instructor who would not prescribe a specific routine.  I know that my teacher wants to see the entire thing every time that I take a lesson. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Get my alignment, grip it and rip it...keep it simple.

Sent from my Note 7 using the MyGolfSpy app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I do use a preshot routine but it varies by shot and by round.  If rarely if ever even take a practice swing before I hit a shot unless there is a reason to do so.  I normally get behind the shot and visualize the shot that I am trying to hit and get the line.  From there it is generally just point and shoot.

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Check out vision54.com. Pre-shot routine consistency makes it easier to transition from shot planning to shot execution. Train your mind to go from analysis of location, wind, lie, club selection,planned ball flight, etc. to committing 100% to the chosen shot and target. Before you address the ball, the mind should be clear of all the analysis and solely focused on relaxation and hitting the target with the shot.

So. It's a good thing!

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Mine is mainly visualization of the shot as I approach the ball. Sometimes pausing for few seconds to calm my thoughts from behind the ball. Once I step up to hit, I usually waggle the club to get it just right in my hands. One last look at my target line that I want to follow and then pull the trigger.

So graceful that I hear a choir in the background haha

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Pre shot is very helpful for me. Helps me focus on the shot at hand. Sometimes if I just go up and hit it I find I am mis aligned or just don't put a good swing on it.

I stand behind the ball. See where I want the ball to go and pick a spot about 1-2' in front of my ball for alignment. Take a deep breath, set up, and swing.

Pre shot is the same for every shot I hit from tee box to putting green

Golf Everyday!

Irons: Cleveland 588 mb / True Temper DG S300 / Std. Length and lie

Driver: Cleveland 588 Custom / Aldila 2KXV NV 75 Stiff

3W: Cleveland 588 / stock stiff shaft

5W: Callaway Diablo Octane Tour / stock stiff shaft

Right Handed

Massachusetts

Somewhere in the 80s

Golf Channel Academy (Martin Hall/Sara Brown) talked about this exact topic last night and it's importance.

He used JDay drive on 18 at the PGA championship as an example of how he visualized the shot and executed.

This is something I really need to work on!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I have a pretty simple routine. For a full shot, I stand behind the ball and let the club down. Rotate around and take my stance it then waggle a few times-- while I'm looking at the target.

I can't visualize the shot though. I've visualized enough shots and followed it up with a garbage swing to know that the big thing for me is just trusting my setup. I'll have an idea how I want a shot to go, high...low...etc, but really don't focus in on the exact shot I'm going to hit like a trackman would visualize it. More like an abstract painting.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I use a PSR but I'd say it probably varies some during the round and depending on the shot I'm faced with. I think a PSR is important but it should be a relatively quick thing. Don't be one of those guys that goes-all-tour-pro on each shot.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I use a PSR but I'd say it probably varies some during the round and depending on the shot I'm faced with. I think a PSR is important but it should be a relatively quick thing. Don't be one of those guys that goes-all-tour-pro on each shot.

But they do it because it helps them, probably saves them strokes... why can't I do it?  I need all the help I can get!!   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For me the pre shot routine is crucial because it helps me to consistently get into a proper setup which helps a ton with confidence. Golf is hard enough without having to worry about if your address and alignment are off, for me at least

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Address the ball, 3-5 waggles (when the club feels right) and go. Nothing elaborate

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Address the ball, 3-5 waggles (when the club feels right) and go. Nothing elaborate

It doesn't need to be it just needs to be consistent.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

#1. Always always always pick a very specific target or a specific aiming point in the distance.

2. On the tee: align the line or logo on your ball along your aim line.

3. Tee to Green: use the Nicklaus method of picking a spot *close* to your ball on your aim line.

4. On the Green: same as #2.

Then...

Setup square to your aim line.

How you setup, whether you waggle or not, or rehearsal swing or not, or step in with your front foot first or your back foot first, put your lead hand on the club first or not, sole the club and then take your grip of the other way around, or whatever .... do it the SAME way EVERY time and ... at the same tempo!

As.others said, consistency here can help you get consistency in the results of your shots.

The worst things are to either rush and do nothing, or to stand there over the ball and freeze....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 11 months later...

I believe getting in a routine every shot plays a great role in how well you play. I have never had a routine, or if I do, it switches up every couple of rounds.. or sometimes even every couple of holes. I'm still trying to figure out how to go about stepping into my shot and following a routine, to keep other thoughts out.

It's always cool to see other's routines, so I figured I had to ask... what's yours?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I don't plan the exact amount of waggles and taps and fidgets and adjustments...... But somehow it always comes out exactly the same. I noticed how uncanny it is when I was messing around with footage recently.

My routine is this:

-pick the target from behind the ball

-hold shaft straight up to get a line to that target

-pick a spot 3" in front of the ball on that line

-walk up and line up face to the spot

-step in with the right then left

-do a bunch of wiggles and jiggles

-look at the target in the distance

-look at ball

-more wiggles and jiggles

-slow inhale

-swing

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Just really got into a good pre shot routine this year.

Driver/3 wood: Pick a target beyond my distance, then find the spot in the fairway I'd like to be, then a spot 6' in front of me, then 2'... Set up for fade/draw.

Irons: very similar to above.

Wedges: if I'm close enough I will run up and check the green contour. I play a fade into the green, quite a big one so I pick a spot 6-8' left of the flagstick. Hit it out 10-15' left and let the spin take it close. Hopefully I've decided what shot to make, a high/mid/low and pull the trigger. Usually 3-4 practice swings for feel.

Chipping: I spend more time reading the green here than with the putter. I look to hole anything from the short grass in 53°/57° range. And from the rough a 5' circle is "good enough" I'll use this from 15' to 60 yards, my 60 yard pitch is a lengthened chip.

Putting: non existent right now, and it is probably the worst part of my game.

Pretty much the same routine for every shot for me.

- Stand behind the ball and pick my line

- Visualize the shot I want to play

- Pick a spot 6" in front of my ball on my line

(while doing this I take my grip and continue visualizing my shot)

- walk up to the ball and waggle once on the way there

- set my club down behind the ball with the line that I want

- readjust grip based on lie (uphill/downhill) or if I need to choke down

- step in to the shot

- one last look at target then down at the ball and swing

Sounds more intricate than it really is.  It only takes me about 15 seconds or so.  It really boils down to lining up the behind the ball and picturing the shot.  Then step up, line up and swing.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I don't plan the exact amount of waggles and taps and fidgets and adjustments...... But somehow it always comes out exactly the same. I noticed how uncanny it is when I was messing around with footage recently.

My routine is this:

-pick the target from behind the ball

-hold shaft straight up to get a line to that target

-pick a spot 3" in front of the ball on that line

-walk up and line up face to the spot

-step in with the right then left

-do a bunch of wiggles and jiggles

-look at the target in the distance

-look at ball

-more wiggles and jiggles

-slow inhale

-swing

I think my pre-shot needs more waggles, taps, fidgets, wiggles, and jiggles.

Honestly, that actually sounds a lot like what my current routine is like. I've been mimicking Jason Day lately, how he holds up his club to his side and from what I'm assuming is lining up his shot.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I recently changed my routine. I use to have a couple of practice swing which my wife said were perfect - then I'd go and lift up as I hit the ball (because I was trying to kill it). Now I have one practice swing and on the second 'practice swing' I'd hit the ball. I know it doesn't make sense - but I guess I'm trying to fool myself that it's only a practice swing. I end up hitting it smoothly and effortlessly. This change has eliminated my slice.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

- Stand behind the ball, pick my line, visualize ball flight, choose a spot 3-12" in front of the ball

- Walk up, set the club down making sure it's square to the line

- Take my stance and grip

- 2 waggles

- Look at the target

- Focus on the farthest back dimple

- Let er buck

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've adjusted mine while working on my swing adjustments. It includes a one armed swing beside the ball to remind me to fold my right elbow and swing the club head left. Then I go behind the ball make a half swing to follow through. Pick my target, set up, think loose arms, deep breath and swing.

With the short game it's making enough practice swings to get a sense of the grass interacting with the club face and the length of swing that I need to land the ball on the spot that I've selected.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

One thing I have to be mindful is where my hands are.  If they drop too low I can pretty much guarantee a  snap hook. For some reason low hands cause me to pull the club face to far inside.  In my setup I focus on making sure my club head is flat on the ground with the butt of the club towards my navel.  This keeps my hands and the face of the club square and reminds me to take it back on a better plane. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Archived