Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What's Your Pre-Shot Routine?

Well, I didn't hear much of that. I was too busy pitching out from the woods on the other side of the fairway...

Just joking, really. One of the biggest improvements in my game has been the ability to smile and laugh at truly horrid shots instead of throwing a tantrum. When I become a scratch player, I'll go back to throwing tantrums, but so long as I'm mediocre-at-best I don't think it's a reasonable thing to do.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just joking, really. One of the biggest improvements in my game has been the ability to smile and laugh at truly horrid shots instead of throwing a tantrum. When I become a scratch player, I'll go back to throwing tantrums, but so long as I'm mediocre-at-best I don't think it's a reasonable thing to do.

Watching scratch players ****** and moan over "meh" shots is terrible. Playing junior events and the state tournament I saw a lot of guys hit greens but far away from the pin, and then swear and throw clubs. It's annoying as all hell especially when I miss the green.

• 2 years later...

Think this'll work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhidEWHves

For some reason, it makes me think of RoverRick....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You better believe that I am trying that tomorrow :D

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I gave up tap dancing when I went to soft spikes. No fun without the noise.:D

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I rarely hit that many off the tee unless it is the first tee. :P

lol, that is pretty good that just goes to show being relaxed and not thinking about HOW to hit the shut and just letting your athlete take over pays dived ends.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Now, instead of Tap, it is breakdancing.:D

Crump was just too aggressive, and I pulled a lot of shots.:P

Nothing beats classic ball room style preshot and follow through

Without the proper ball room, I tend to come over the top and get "tangoed" up in the right rough.:P

Without the proper ball room, I tend to come over the top and get "tangoed" up in the right rough.:P

That's gotta hurt... :blink:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 4 months later...

From the little descriptions it looks like this goes here so this is where I'm putting it.

Actually two threads from other places were the inspiration for this question which is - do you take a full swing as a part of your preshot routine?

I don't unless I'm trying to do something that is out of the ordinary (hit it low under a branch, high over something, curve it arounds something particularly a left to right curved shot - yeck.)

For all other shots I calculate the club I need, select it, picture the shot, take a very slow part swing next to the ball, go behind the ball, take a deep breath, visualize the shot again, step up to the ball right foot, left foot check the target, waggle once and let it rip.

That slow swing is usually only part way back and most of the way through to remind me to get the hip rotation and shoulder turn that I need.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When I am playing my best and things are clicking, I grab the club and hit the ball, no pre-shot to speak of and certainly no practice swings. These are the times I shoot 67-72. I am not thinking about anything but the target and this is an easy game. This, however, only once or twice a month. Usually, there is some glitch, slow player in group, or ahead, just not feeling as well, some problem off the course that is in my head. On these days, the lack of a consistent pre-shot routine is a detriment. I am working on developing a more consistent pre-shot routine.

I think what I want to do is take a couple of full speed, full practice swings, and then simply repeat that for the real shot. My problem is that I take a full swing and think there it is and I let up on the next one. It may be Tourette's because it is almost alway accompanied by loud cursing. The practice swing to me is for the proper tempo, and yeah if I am going to try to bend it one way or the other but Tempo, Tempo, Tempo is my problem. No matter how many times I prove to myself that slower is better and it is all about contact, I still try to generate club head speed by jumping at the ball.

Full swing? No, unless it's a driver coming up or a putt. One of the things that I'm finally happy with is that I have a definate routine for my setups.

Driver: Three, ultra quick swings in a row with no sort of setup or anything. Just to remind me that this shot is a different swing and to get my heart rate up. I find I hit a driver much better when my heart rate is up and then telling myself to smooth it out, then trying to put power into the swing while I'm flat yet stay on plane.

Putter: Line up the mark line on the ball. Stand back, take two pratice strokes, step up to the ball, line the sightline to the ball and hit. Any other thoughts or procedures kills me here.

Everything else: Step to the ball with both feet together, widen to shoulder width. One waggle to get ride of arm tension, slight regrip, hit.

Deviation means I start thinking and nothing is worse for me then thinking over the ball. I start doing dumb things like calculating launch vectors and desiered angles of descent and such. Then it get's ugly.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

Deviation means I start thinking and nothing is worse for me then thinking over the ball. I start doing dumb things like calculating launch vectors and desiered angles of descent and such. Then it get's ugly.

Really? BAH!

When we gonna hit the range and work on adding alignment steps to your pre-shot? I'll bring the sticks :P

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

WOW. I am really surprised at the not taking a full practice swing!

I have to take a full practice swing. I need to feel the weight of the club ahead of time or I start thinking about it in my real swing. Screws me ALL up.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• SPY VIP

I have to take a full practice swing. I need to feel the weight of the club ahead of time or I start thinking about it in my real swing. Screws me ALL up.

If I do throw a practice swing in it's during the alignment process from behind the ball after I get the grip.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

On a full swing shot (as opposed to a pitch/chip/half shot), I rarely take a full-length, full-speed practice swing. The exception might be if I hit a really squirrely shot, I might take a full practice swing just to shake out the bad one, but that would be it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

On all full swing shots this is my routine. Stand behind the ball and get my grip. Pick out my line and find the spot about a foot in front of my ball that I'm going to line up with. Step in feet together and set the club with my target spot. Widen the stance, check my target and swing away. I never take practice swings as part of my routine.

I may take a couple swings outside of the routine if I'm still trying to get a little looser or I've been sitting and waiting for a long time, but it's only to get loose, never as part of the routine.

I may take a slow swing or two if I'm doing something goofy. Like a severe uphill or downhill lie, punch shots, or little chips. Also sometimes when putting and I'm still standing behind the ball, but that's about it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

No full swing for practice either. My setup is more about alignment to the target and zoning out to let the swing happen automatically.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Sheesh, reading all of the comments, I am quite bad at full practice swings.

I usually take 2 or 3 full practice swings before each shot. With chip shots, and shorter pitch shots, I sometimes take 5/6 practice swings, really trying to feel the correct backswing and follow through for the shot I am attempting.

I should probably tone it down just a bit, as playing 100 odd shots over 18 holes, and taking 2/3 full practice swings for each of those shots, probably accounts for the fatigue and lack of concentration I experience over the last 2/3 holes.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

On a full swing shot (as opposed to a pitch/chip/half shot), I rarely take a full-length, full-speed practice swing. The exception might be if I hit a really squirrely shot, I might take a full practice swing just to shake out the bad one, but that would be it.

Lots of guys would be very surprised at how many good players don't take full practice swings as a part of their routine. I actually do what Matt is talking about here immediately after the shot if it's a bad one so that I get it out of the system on the spot and move on - If I've hit a bad shot I'll take a practice swing or two right after the fact to "get it out of my system."

Now if play is slow I'll often take periodic practice swings off to the side or on the back of the tee to stay loose but that shouldn't be confused as part of my preshot routine - that's just to keep my body engaged with what's going on.

@ Sparnar chips/pitches and putts are totally different matters. I'll certainly take practice swings there. Each one is different so I need to gauge the pace, the grain, the way that the grass will react when I hit it if it's in higher rough. Apparently Pelz has done research and believes that the shot should be executed within 8 seconds of the last practice stroke so I try to adheare to that. With putting I take two practice strokes, step in align the face, look at the hole and let it fly.

In regards to your full swing I think less is better. I notice in another thread that you're working on a new swing - I'd rehearse the part of that swing that you're working on and then get into your routine and hit the shot.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Really? BAH!

When we gonna hit the range and work on adding alignment steps to your pre-shot? I'll bring the sticks :P

Hah!

You know you can move the ball when you're that far misaligned and still hit your target area sometimes.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Lots of guys would be very surprised at how many good players don't take full practice swings as a part of their routine. I actually do what Matt is talking about here immediately after the shot if it's a bad one so that I get it out of the system on the spot and move on - If I've hit a bad shot I'll take a practice swing or two right after the fact to "get it out of my system."

Now if play is slow I'll often take periodic practice swings off to the side or on the back of the tee to stay loose but that shouldn't be confused as part of my preshot routine - that's just to keep my body engaged with what's going on.

@ Sparnar chips/pitches and putts are totally different matters. I'll certainly take practice swings there. Each one is different so I need to gauge the pace, the grain, the way that the grass will react when I hit it if it's in higher rough. Apparently Pelz has done research and believes that the shot should be executed within 8 seconds of the last practice stroke so I try to adheare to that. With putting I take two practice strokes, step in align the face, look at the hole and let it fly.

In regards to your full swing I think less is better. I notice in another thread that you're working on a new swing - I'd rehearse the part of that swing that you're working on and then get into your routine and hit the shot.

Thanks, Revkev!

I have heard about that 8 second 'rule'. I don't always focus on that specifically, but I find taking more time over the ball all too often leads to poor results.

With putting I stand next to the ball, looking at the hole, and make about 3/4 practice strokes. I then step into the ball, look at the hole one last time, and I then stroke the putt. So in my putting I'm definitely under 8 seconds.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

I actually look at the hole when I putt if I'm outside of about 5 feet. Why the 3/4 swing with the putter? It would seem to me that this is the time to try and match the stroke to the distance.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived