I use a laser level so there is a long line down the putting green into the hole. After striking the ball, if I am online, the laser paints the ball all the way into the hole.

Only on my small practice green indoors though.

I used to have a piece of string setup over my putting green that made a straight line from the ball to the hole. It was basically the same idea.

I used to have a piece of string setup over my putting green that made a straight line from the ball to the hole. It was basically the same idea.

And probably cheaper than $15

And probably cheaper than $15

But it was not as cool as a laser. ;)

I've heard of using a string tied to a couple tees on an actual putting green, but I'm not sure how I'd get that to work on my putting mat. As golf training aids go, $15 is pretty cheap, and it's got other uses, especially for me.

I've heard of using a string tied to a couple tees on an actual putting green, but I'm not sure how I'd get that to work on my putting mat. As golf training aids go, $15 is pretty cheap, and it's got other uses, especially for me.

I've also seen guys use chalk lines on the practice green. That's something that's more practical than a laser outdoors and I doubt a superintendent wouldn't mind as long as you didn't get crazy with it. Another practical use of an item purchased at Home Depot.

I've also seen guys use chalk lines on the practice green. That's something that's more practical than a laser outdoors and I doubt a superintendent wouldn't mind as long as you didn't get crazy with it. Another practical use of an item purchased at Home Depot.

Yup, I'm familiar with the chalk line and Rotella is a big advocate of it. He writes in his book that courses on tour discourage pros from putting them down because they know that every pro will gravitate to it and wear out that spot on the practice green.

I did use the laser one early evening on the practice green at the course. There is a light overhead so it is not totally dark, sort of like a big street light. I took a 3 sided cardboard display board (like a science fair one) and set it up past the hole to catch laser blow buy. Worked really well and was easy to reposition from other angles. Will do again once the evenings warm up a bit. Good split a sixer with a buddy activity too.

I did use the laser one early evening on the practice green at the course. There is a light overhead so it is not totally dark, sort of like a big street light. I took a 3 sided cardboard display board (like a science fair one) and set it up past the hole to catch laser blow buy. Worked really well and was easy to reposition from other angles. Will do again once the evenings warm up a bit. Good split a sixer with a buddy activity too.

What kind of looks did you get when you walked up to the green with a laser and a science fair poster board?

What kind of looks did you get when you walked up to the green with a laser and a science fair poster board?

It was empty. One of the lingering grounds guys came over and checked out the light and said "That's bych'n" and drove off.

It was empty. One of the lingering grounds guys came over and checked out the light and said "That's bych'n" and drove off.

Nice. Sadly, the days of empty practice greens are long gone for me, unless I were to head out in the pouring rain.

Nice. Sadly, the days of empty practice greens are long gone for me, unless I were to head out in the pouring rain.

it was night... away from the other better lit green by the 24 hour range

it was night... away from the other better lit green by the 24 hour range

I'll have to see if the greens clear out in the evenings around here. I'll need to stock up on bug spray if they do, mosquitos can get nasty around here in the summer evenings.

It was worth the effort when I did it, but using the laser in the house on the practice green or carpet helps too.

Yeah, I suspect I'll be opting for indoor lasering more than outdoor. When I go to the practice green, I prefer to do stuff I can't do indoors, like chip and pitch.

Yeah, I suspect I'll be opting for indoor lasering more than outdoor. When I go to the practice green, I prefer to do stuff I can't do indoors, like chip and pitch.

I can't really do those things outdoors either...

I can't really do those things outdoors either...

I think that's more of a personal problem, though... :)

I think that's more of a personal problem, though... :ph34r:

I will not take that bait and pontificate about my wedge issues yet again.

High road taken!

I will not take that bait and pontificate about my wedge issues yet again.

High road taken!

Boooooo!

My routine is very short, for full shots I stand behind the ball and take a half swing then set up and look at the target once and hit. On chips/pitches I will take two small swings to get a feel for the grass and then look at my landing area once and hit. Putting I will face the target line and make a stroke while looking at the hole, step in and then hit. Anything more than that and most of my friends know that it is either a bad lie, or I will hit a bad shot since my mind is working too much.

My routine is very short, for full shots I stand behind the ball and take a half swing then set up and look at the target once and hit. On chips/pitches I will take two small swings to get a feel for the grass and then look at my landing area once and hit. Putting I will face the target line and make a stroke while looking at the hole, step in and then hit. Anything more than that and most of my friends know that it is either a bad lie, or I will hit a bad shot since my mind is working too much.

I have that problem too. When I wait to long I psych myself out and think too much.