Quick Review: Bridgestone B330RX

Matt Saternus

After much prodding from Sactown, I finally decided to buy a sleeve of RXs from the proshop at Legends to make my ball testing complete. As you may have read, nothing has beaten the Gamer for me, but I'd heard to much positive feedback on the RX that I had to give it a try.

Long Game

The RX round was the coldest (early morning) and possibly windiest, so judging driver distance was not exactly fair. I did catch the first drive extremely flush and I got the same feeling that I got with the Gamer - felt the ball compress and explode, ended up with a very long, very straight shot. So based on that, and discarding the bad swings/cold swings, I feel like the RX is probably the equal of the Gamer in driver distance. Iron performance is fine.

Short Game

One clear advantage of the RX was in feel on chips and putts. It's not a huge difference, and the Gamer does not feel bad, but the RX feels noticeably better. In terms of spin, the RX is very slightly better on half wedges. I've still got one RX that I'm going to take to the practice green to test vs. the Gamer on shorter shots, but overall I'd say that the balls are comparable in short game with a slight edge in spin and feel to the RX.

Overall

Bottom line: great ball. I can fully appreciate why people love it. BUT, is it twice or three times as good as the Gamer where it would justify the price? Not to me. Some might feel differently, they might really want that last bit of spin or better feel, and that's perfectly understandable - it's a great ball. Additionally, you get a better name. No one will mock you for playing "Top Rocks" or "Rock Flights." I'll listen to the mockery, take a deep breath, and airmail the ProV1's that the name-callers can't compress.

Very final rankings (including value as a factor):

Gamer

330RX

ProV1X

Burner TP

TP Black

E6+

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Phew...

I was waiting for the heat on this one.

Wait til you game one in the warmer weather.

I'll be ordering some gamers from gpp today though at 13/per

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Phew...

I'll be ordering Gamers from GPP at less than $13 - bulk discount (I hope). I'm gonna stock up for the long run.

Phew...

Those are what I got with the credit to GRR from Poor Golfer. I can write up a little review when I get it.

I think you let Dave off of the chain Matt. You should have said they sucked and really let him have it! :)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I think you let Dave off of the chain Matt. You should have said they sucked and really let him have it! :lol:

I was halfway hoping it sucked so that I could, but it's a really solid ball. After I hit the first tee shot with it, I knew it would be good - because it felt like the Gamer!

I was halfway hoping it sucked so that I could, but it's a really solid ball. After I hit the first tee shot with it, I knew it would be good - because it felt like the Gamer!

I hear you. I have a similar swing speed and would probably benefit from playing that ball. Its just tough for me to fork over that kind of scratch when there are so many mid-priced balls to pick from that are targeted to my swing speed and skill level.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I hear you. I have a similar swing speed and would probably benefit from playing that ball. Its just tough for me to fork over that kind of scratch when there are so many mid-priced balls to pick from that are targeted to my swing speed and skill level.

Yup, I totally agree. Like...THE GAMER!!!

• SPY VIP

It i probably best not to know what you are missing. Damn fine ball. makes me play better and because of that I lose less. I can blast a D2 Feel into the trees and just leave it. I protect the 330 by not making it go into the dark scary woods in the first place.

Volvo Intorqueo

It i probably best not to know what you are missing. Damn fine ball. makes me play better and because of that I lose less. I can blast a D2 Feel into the trees and just leave it. I protect the 330 by not making it go into the dark scary woods in the first place.

Now I'm scared because I'm going to one of those Bridgestone ball fittings this weekend...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Now I'm scared because I'm going to one of those Bridgestone ball fittings this weekend...

You are done dude. That's what got me. Launch monitor numbers were more important than cash register numbers. I figure the $1 per ball upcharge was worth it. One less bacon double cheeseburger for the better ball.

Volvo Intorqueo

Yup, I totally agree. Like...THE GAMER!!!

I'm going to send an email to Callaway suggesting that they've found their next guy to don the D2 Man cape. Hope you fare better than Clooney. Tell them no cod pieces and you'll be fine...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

You are done dude. That's what got me. Launch monitor numbers were more important than cash register numbers. I figure the $1 per ball upcharge was worth it. One less bacon double cheeseburger for the better ball.

Yep, I'm totally screwed.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

I'm going to send an email to Callaway suggesting that they've found their next guy to don the D2 Man cape. Hope you fare better than Clooney. Tell them no cod pieces and you'll be fine...

Then Matt can "Never lay up!"

sing it ladies...

Volvo Intorqueo

Then Matt can "Never lay up!"

sing it ladies...

Its been posted before, but for the guys who have no idea what we're talking about...

Top Flite D2 Man

"The gamer has tour precision...don't be a poser is your only decision...half the price of the Prov***"

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Its been posted before, but for the guys who have no idea what we're talking about...

Top Flite D2 Man

"The gamer has tour precision...don't be a poser is your only decision...half the price of the Prov***"

Never gets old :)

He reminds me of Duffman too, so that is a personal bonus :)

Volvo Intorqueo

The Bridgestone Tour B330-RX is my ball of choice. It is marginally better than anything else I have tried although you can't beat a Pro V1 for par 3s.

I've been using the UV yellow Vision balls this winter and I haven't lost a one. It's a $2 ball.

Watch, the first time I put a $4 Bridgestone in play it'll wind up in the woods or in the middle of a lake.

I have no luck with expensive balls.

Semper Fi

My Club

I'd be happy to endorse the Gamer...Kenny Mayne needs to take Chris Berman and go far far away.

And please don't ever invoke those "other" Batman movies. If Tim Burton or Christopher Nolan didn't direct it, I don't acknowledge its existence.

Archived