TESTERS WANTED! ×

2013 Nike Covert Driver

furu

T: Interesting point about the guy who goes last doing best. Are you referring to being the last to release pics and announce, or the last to be on the shelves? Or both?

I would totally agree on being last to release pics. As far as being on the shelves, I would want to be right in the heart of the release season. Too late and you miss all the casual guys who are just buying a driver without doing the research and knowing what's out there...and there's LOTS of them.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the Mach Speed High Speed text on the crown, right by the Swoosh.

It certainly looks good from the few pictures we have.

I also like the ad, and the way it was shot.

newnikedriver.png

I wonder if those red alieny-type images have anything to do with the club? Perhaps the bottom of the club will have something along those lines?

Looking at the ad, it seems like those graphics feature prominently. Must be a reason for it...

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

I wonder if those red alieny-type images have anything to do with the club? Perhaps the bottom of the club will have something along those lines?

Looking at the ad, it seems like those graphics feature prominently. Must be a reason for it...

Please no more alien/robot/futuristic themes. That Transformers-look on the original Machspeed was a total turn-off.

But I do agree with Tuna. By the time they release it and all the fitters have it, you are already halfway through the season.

A pre-fitting between November and February would be a good idea. People would actually preorder the stuff and hit the course in February.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Please no more alien/robot/futuristic themes. That Transformers-look on the original Machspeed was a total turn-off.

Are you referring to the MachSpeed Black driver? I actually really like the look of it.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Are you referring to the MachSpeed Black driver? I actually really like the look of it.

The Machspeed Black is nice. I have the round version myself.

I was referring to the Machspeed SQ from 2010. Those things were hideous!

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

• SPY VIP

Another Teaser. This one looks like the leading edge of the sole. My guess is that's a weight port (swing weight, not draw fade), but I could be wrong.

nikesole.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

4 more days for the announcement.

See if I can add it to the to-hit list in February together with the AMP Cell.

• SPY VIP

Covert? Is that really what that says?

Seems like the perfect driver for a Golf Spy.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I like the name...I'll be curious if the market at large likes it or not. Though I guess the name has little to do with it..much more to do with how it's sold. Rocketballz is obviously stupid, but people say it proudly now because it was marketed well. Covert could be badass or it could be lame...ball's in Nike's court.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

One possibility - the latest teaser pic that looks a bit like a weight port, could actually be a sensor related to the data collection device patent that made the news earlier this year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120913/BUSINESS/120919604/1005

The world's largest maker of sporting goods obtained a patent Sept. 4 to put data-collecting sensors in golf club heads to improve personalization. In one scenario, the analysis of a swing is shown on a display screen embedded on the back of the club's head. That would make getting fit for golf clubs faster and more precise, the company said.

It's 11/5!

Spit it out, Nike!

• SPY VIP

I just landed in Orlando. Getting an in person look later today.

Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet? :lol:

• SPY VIP

I'm here. Just went down to the conference area, but nothing laying around where I could get a look at it.

Orlando rather then Oregon? Interesting.

There are pic's up on the USGA site now, though I suspect T's will blow them out of the water.

Also, with that name as cheesy as it is, as long as they perform, I will require a set.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Nike posted on their Twitter:

Nike Golf Europe ‏@NikeGolfEU

At midnight GMT tonight we will be posting from our Global Innovation Summit. Expect 1st reveal images around 00:20. pic.twitter.com/y39gveE1

So 6 more hours to go!

• SPY VIP

Saw something about 7PM EST so that would match up.

Looks like Cink has one of these in the bag at Disney according to various people.

The event starts at 6:30, so yeah...that's probably about right.

The launch was originally supposed to be in Manhattan at a studio in Soho. Hurricane Sandy messed that up, and Nike adapted quickly.

Fair enough. Orlando is, other then Vegas the easiest place to get flights to.

Quick in and out or are you staying to shmooze with the industry. You know, maybe hit up Cleveland while you're there... ;)

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

I know it's not what everybody is waiting to see, but it's a start. A Nike gym back with a dozen of the new 2013 balls, a red Nike Storm-Fit jacket and some other stuff was just dropped off at my room.

I triple checked the bag. There definitely wasn't a driver in there.

Nike-1.jpg

Nike-2.jpg

Nike-3.jpg

That's cool T, its like a teaser, to get you in the mood for bigger and better things. It's funny how this whole marketing machine works - I'm just reflecting on the fact that prior to this iteration I have never even considered looking at a Nike driver. I'm really interested in at least the idea of this one though.

Thanks for being there for us T!

Brad

• SPY VIP

That's cool T, its like a teaser, to get you in the mood for bigger and better things. It's funny how this whole marketing machine works - I'm just reflecting on the fact that prior to this iteration I have never even considered looking at a Nike driver. I'm really interested in at least the idea of this one though.

Thanks for being there for us T!

Brad

This si definitely an interesting release. Over the last couple of years Nike hasn't been among the biggest buzz builders (lead up hype is really TaylorMade's domain), but Nike has done a good job building a decent amount of hype without going completely over the top. No doubt the will he won't he with Rory didn't hurt. And while Tiger isn't THAT Tiger anymore, he still moves the needle with the best of them.

Of course, i happen to believe that Nike makes among the very best drivers in golf, so I'm personally very excited to see what this one is all about.

I'll be in break out sessions all day tomorrow with the various product teams, so I should come back with a solid idea of what Nke is all about for 2013.

Archived