TESTERS WANTED! ×

2013 Nike Covert Driver

furu

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if the driver will be offered in a color besides red? I get the whole victory red thing, but I can also imagine that this would really send some people off because red is pretty out there. Sunny days must be horrible with glare on this thing.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

• SPY VIP

Driver will be available in red and red. So far the response from Nike's Tour Staff has bee overwhelming positive. I spoke with Johnny Vegas about it and he swears he lives it. Johnny is a colorful guy, so it's likely more than the company line.

Bear in mind Nike wants to build the same association with red that TaylorMade has with white. When you see guys in tour winning with red you'll know it's Nike.

Side note: that's really gotta chafe Ian Poulter and Cobra.

While red is obviously the most noticeable aspect of the design so far, Nike feels the cavity should be the story.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• 2 weeks later...

Yea seen this has a big Nike logo on top near the hosel other than that looks OK I like the hosel adjustment not sure if the cavity back is a gimmick or not will have to try it I guess.

Adams F11 driver voodoo shaft

Adams F11 3 wood voodoo

Cleveland 3 and 4 hybrids dst,s

Ben Hogan Apex Edge Forgedvarious putters Adams 62, Voit tornado like a bulls eye , nevercompramise sub 30 - 50

Precept Balls or titleist or any good ball I find

I must admit that the red was the first thing that made me wonder if I will like this driver, then seeing the placement of the swoosh near the hosel gave me another thing to question. It seems odd, but the thing that really has me concerned about my ability to like this club is the alignment mark, the thing that I like the most about the Nike drivers I have played in the past is the clean crown, no alignment mark. Most of my friends laugh about it, but I hate seeing anything near the face of the driver, just personal preference. Yet I will still give this club a decent work out since it has a tangible technological breakthrough, I want to see if it is as game changing as I have been told it will be.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

To me, this is the most interesting and most original of any of the upcoming driver releases. I am really looking forward to seeing and trying it, and that is probably the first time I have ever said that about a Nike driver.

It might end up to be average in performance, but the design and the PR build-up have been extremely well done.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of guys already playing this....Molinari had it in play shortly after its launch, Dyson in Dubai, few players at Qschool. It looks a lot darker in pictures and outside than it does in pictures from Nike. Looking forward to seeing this in person along with the 3 wood....

R11s 9 Open ASP w/Aerotech Powercoil 65X tipped 1"

Cally XHot 15 w/ Powercoil 65S

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18 w/Player Spec Stiff HS 1X

Miura 501s 3-P w/Player Spec Stiff HS 1x

TM XFT 54/60 w/Steelfiber i125s

PING Nome TR SS Ultra Thin Red

ALL Irons/Woods PURE Isle of Capri Pure Pro std w/2 wraps

Srixon XV Yellow

• SPY VIP

There are a lot of guys already playing this....Molinari had it in play shortly after its launch, Dyson in Dubai, few players at Qschool. It looks a lot darker in pictures and outside than it does in pictures from Nike. Looking forward to seeing this in person along with the 3 wood....

I think you're going to see 100% use among Nike staffers. Expect the same from the new 20XI as well.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Got my samples to try this week will test them tomorrow weather permitting. The tour driver looks stunning. The shape is perfect, deeper faced and smaller looking than the ltd. the three wood looks good but the hosel does look a little chunky. Also very different size wise to the mp650 and rc vs tour I currently use.

• 1 month later...

Got to hit these at the Demo Day at the PGA Show and was pretty impressed. I first hit it in the 10.5º neutral position which set up just nice for me and to see the range of loft I went 8.5 and 12.5 and ball flight changed a lot. Hybrids were awesome and the fairway wood was just okay. Very cool technology and I sure hope they sell adapters to make shaft changing easy for us.

Got to hit these at the Demo Day at the PGA Show and was pretty impressed. I first hit it in the 10.5º neutral position which set up just nice for me and to see the range of loft I went 8.5 and 12.5 and ball flight changed a lot. Hybrids were awesome and the fairway wood was just okay. Very cool technology and I sure hope they sell adapters to make shaft changing easy for us.

Any noticeable pattern with the ball going right when you delofted the club or left when you added loft?

Any noticeable pattern with the ball going right when you delofted the club or left when you added loft?

No I did not see that. Face angle seemed to remain as it was after changing loft. Maybe at the 12.5º there was a hint of the oposite you mention, maybe a little more right but I did not see any on the lower loft. The interesting thing is the system does not need to reply on club soling as it presented the positions as if it was a glued club. I for one like that because I normally hover my driver.

• SPY VIP

Tour, non-tour?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

Any word on if adapters will be available?

I'm looking into it now. I'll let you know what I find out.

• SPY VIP

Any word on if adapters will be available?

So the official, but not completely informative, answer from Nike is that they hope to have a final answer in the coming weeks.

I guess that leaves us with tips will not be available at retail immediately, but they might be some time in the future...or they might not.

Now that we've cleared that up...

So the official, but not completely informative, answer from Nike is that they hope to have a final answer in the coming weeks.

I guess that leaves us with tips will not be available at retail immediately, but they might be some time in the future...or they might not.

Now that we've cleared that up...

clear as mud! But thanks for looking in to it.

clear as mud! But thanks for looking in to it.

I really hope they are because I think it'd be cool to be able to try different shafts with the different lofts. Sure would make me hold on to the club a lot longer if i can just change the shaft to get different performance

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I really hope they are because I think it'd be cool to be able to try different shafts with the different lofts. Sure would make me hold on to the club a lot longer if i can just change the shaft to get different performance

But that's not what they want hear! They want you to buy a new one every year!

I know that you will be able to order shafts with the adaptor directly from Nike. I think you will even be able to send a new shaft in to have an adaptor installed (not on shaft pulls though).

I know what you mean.....I just chnaged shafts on my 2 yr old Powerbilt AFO and put a P X 5.0 in it....WOW that really made a difference! Now i have a "new" driver that goes further & stays in the fairway. It's working for my 87-95 mph swing speed.....and now my drives have stretched from 210 to 224-242.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I know that you will be able to order shafts with the adaptor directly from Nike. I think you will even be able to send a new shaft in to have an adaptor installed (not on shaft pulls though).

Yeah, this is one of the things that Nike's always been pretty good at. They'll get you whatever you need with the tip on it. Prices are sometimes through the roof depending on what one wants though.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I think I need to enquire about this driver with a Speeder 6.0. I like that shaft, but I need to pair it with a low spinning head to really get it to work. Looks like the CoT might be the one to make it happen.

There's also some interesting reports out there that Nike will alter the swing weight at the factor level, to an extent, for one. That'd be nice.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I saw the shaft options and there aren't any Project x shafts listed......wonder why?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I saw the shaft options and there aren't any Project x shafts listed......wonder why?

They are listed in my order book, both the Nike version at no upcharge and the aftermarket at an upcharge.

Where did you happen to see the custom shaft options because i cant seem to find them anywhere

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived