Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Short putter shafts and weighting

Hey spy's,

Trying to get some help here. Read the gamot and tried the tour weighting system but now I have decided to take refinishing into my owns hands and reshafting too. Can anyone shed some light on how I would go about weighting a club to be more "Scotty" after taking it down to 32 inches. I have a bunch of putters all bought long before fitting a customizing so now I am trying to get the correct "feel" I lived my Scotty (stainless 2002) when it came in then decide to cut it three more inches to 31 when I recently weighed it it didn't register on the swing weight scale. I know I can add the tungsten powder etc but need to know what equals a swing weight(5grams I believe) and how to balance that out with my grip etc

Just a ballpark, but 1/2" of shaft (lengthen or shorten) is about 3 swing weight points. 2 grams of head weight is about 1 swing weight point.

So if you cut off 3" you lost about 18 swing weight points. Need to add about 36 grams to get back to where it was.

This is really just a ball park. I would recommend Shambles method to hit exactly where you want, but it should be a pretty good starting point.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

With as much weight as you're going to be adding, I wouldn't go tungsten in the shaft, I'd either add lead tape to the head or bore holes and add tungsten plugs in the head.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

With as much weight as you're going to be adding, I wouldn't go tungsten in the shaft, I'd either add lead tape to the head or bore holes and add tungsten plugs in the head.

I agree, I have an old Scotty Cameron Newport 2 that I am using currently (carbon not the 303). It came in a 332g when weighed last time I had it re-shafted. We added a 8g weight to the tip to bring it up to 240g and then I added little 2g lead tape squares 5 of them (2 on the bottom cavity, then 3 across the back of the cavity where the Titleist logo is engraved) so that I could get the head weight up to 350g at 33".

SC does 330g @ 35", 340g @ 34", 350g @ 33" stock, so keeping with that pattern you might want to get the head weight up to 360g at 32" but that is a personal preference.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Thank guys the head weighed 328 when removed so with that in mind I only need to go up 32g ill obviously weigh it again once last coat is on. Boring holes sounds like a plan since I'm trying to get away from the lead. How do I go about that?

32g is a LOT of weight to try to add to a putter head. It will take many layers of lead tape covering the entire sole of the putter, so many that the putter will be sitting significantly higher when soled. Or you may be able to put some in the cavity behind the face or on the flange if you don't mind the looks.

I once took a one ounce (28g) lead fishing weight and cut it into tiny pieces and corked it in the bottom of the shaft. If you putted with that putter, I doubt you would know the weight was there, but for some reason I was never satisfied with the result. The putter never felt really solid at impact.

Honestly, I never found a satisfactory solution other than layering as much lead tape as possible on the sole of the putter. Added weight on the sole maintains the balance of the putter without changing impact feel. Weight in the cavity behind the face is OK too. In my experience about 20g of lead tape on the sole is about as much as you can realistically add before the thickness becomes excessive.

You can experiment and see how it works for you. My experience tells me that some putters just can't be adjusted to the optimum weight and balance without drilling and adding tungsten plugs. And that's something most of us can't do at home.

Archived