TESTERS WANTED! ×

How good are you at eying distance?

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

I was playing with Super Tuna the other day and he seemed a little impressed that I was calling out yardages within 2 yards every time before he lasered them. Now I don't think I have any amazing super powers and I'm sure it's just intuition I've acquired over 30 years of golf. Just wondering how good you guys are at eying out distance.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

For me it depends on the course and if I've played it before. I don't think I'm anywhere near 2yds, but I'm generally selecting the right club.

For my home course I'm pretty confident I can pick the correct club from most places, even if I don't know the exact yardage. For courses I've never played before I don't think I would trust myself until I get inside 100yds or so.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I am horrific at it. GPS all the way!!!!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I was playing with Super Tuna the other day and he seemed a little impressed that I was calling out yardages within 2 yards every time before he lasered them. Now I don't think I have any amazing super powers and I'm sure it's just intuition I've acquired over 30 years of golf. Just wondering how good you guys are at eying out distance.

It's the yeti you have in your pocket! Admit it! :D

I'm OK at it if it's a straight hole. If it's a dog leg, I always miscalculate.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have a GPS but I am generally pretty good at judging distances. I almost alway check with the GPS anything over 100 because in some cases it can be visually deceiving. I think this is by design. Inside 100 I will mark off 10 yards visually and count how many 10 yards are between me and the flag. Then say to myself, " Ok, that is 45 yards and I want to go past the hole so 56* and this swing." Try it a couple of times. "maybe a bit more" a couple of more. "Yeah right there." And then hit the ball.

My wife gives me grief because I will comeback in the house and get the GPS from the charger, when I really do not need it. I use it as a double check more than anything.

However, my wife is not on this site so I can say what I want about her.:rolleyes:

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

What are you trying to say? :P

Just that I live in fear that she till tell all my dirty secrets besides being obsessed with the GPS.

My wife simply does not care about this. I was changing the shafts out of my Mizzies when she came home for lunch. I put some C Tapers in them Thursday, and was changing them out today, because the C Tapers got swapped for some Tours, and I asked her if she wanted to know what I was doing and why she said no.

I am installing the DG 100s in them but will now probably replace them before the end of the week when the Tours get here. My trip to Europe got postponed this morning so now I am getting some clubs together to go play golf.

Just remember, it's all written down. She could come here months from now and dig up all sorts of dirt on you and share more! ;)

NO KIDDING. I play golf with a lawyer (actually three lawyers) and they said you would be shocked at what people write to their lovers on Facebook and in emails and the spouses bring into his office. That is why I have never really said anything bad about her. It is also why I swapped first to PM's and then direct emails to conduct my business about the shaft swap. No reason to have that documented in perpetuity.

LOL. Other than all that crap you fed me on that damn yeti, you're pretty good..LOL

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Seeing the pictures of them together, I think she is a model he knows and paid to take the pictures with him. And Mrs. Manbearpig is as real as a Yeti. Wait a minute, the comment about what he keeps in his golf bag makes her real. Real funny also.:D

I didn't used to be very good however since the advent of GPS and laser I've gotten much better - I always guess before shooting or looking at the GPS and I'm almost always within 5 yards.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Until 3 or 4 years ago, I never used a GPS or Laser. I've still not got used to using them, and often times find myself eyeing distances rather than using either device. I don't call out a number though, I prefer to say that's a 7 iron to myself.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I use a GPS to get the distance then I look whats in front of me, and then I become a feel golfer. It could be 150 out, which is a normal 8iron for me, then pull out a 6 or 7 just because my eyes dont like the shot. Before I got a GPS I was a 100% feel golfer, and I think that has helped me play better.

I do that quite often. Today I was teeing up on a par three and one of the guys was shooting the distance with a laser. I said, "What is it... about 170?" and he said, "169". Now I don't just eyeball the distance. I knew it was 162 to the middle of the green from that tee placement and with the pin on the back I knew that added about 8 yards. I do the same from the fairway by getting the distance from a nearby sprinkler or 150 marker... visually calculating the distance from that to my ball, and then making another calculation for either a front, middle or back pin. From several years playing the same course I also remember the distance on most of the sprinklers, so I don't even have to walk over to look at them. For me it's just mental calculations that I can do quickly. But without those markers, I doubt I would be very accurate just eyeballing the distance.

• SPY VIP

I do that quite often. Today I was teeing up on a par three and one of the guys was shooting the distance with a laser. I said, "What is it... about 170?" and he said, "169". Now I don't just eyeball the distance. I knew it was 162 to the middle of the green from that tee placement and with the pin on the back I knew that added about 8 yards. I do the same from the fairway by getting the distance from a nearby sprinkler or 150 marker... visually calculating the distance from that to my ball, and then making another calculation for either a front, middle or back pin. From several years playing the same course I also remember the distance on most of the sprinklers, so I don't even have to walk over to look at them. For me it's just mental calculations that I can do quickly. But without those markers, I doubt I would be very accurate just eyeballing the distance.

This is the exact process that would be going through my head too typically. I think it's part of the learned process over time for "eying things out" But I do seem to have a knack for strictly for just looking and evaluating on sight alone.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I'd love to do that, but I have no depth perception. I'm like JBones and pretty much have no idea where the ball is going to land while watch it fly until it actually lands.

It was creepy.

Then again, I can't guess distance on a golf course worth beans.

Hence, "Red's" the Laser. The least tempermental red head ever :P

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I'm pretty good at it, but I use the clues on the course, so really, I'm pretty good at eyeballing 50 yard increments (100,150,200). If I just had to eye a pin with no clues, I don't know how well I'd do.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Archived