TESTERS WANTED! ×

DIY Shaft Puller

It's hard to argue how important using one is, especially on graphite shafts that are easily damaged from the heat. Putting a little pressure on the head allows it to pop free the moment the glue is broken, no more heat is used than absolutely needed.

So.....I like doing things myself. I thought I'd share what I made for a shaft puller. All you need are 2 vices, a 1/4 piece of aluminum, and a board to mount it on.

The green vice is a cheap $15 Harbor Freight vice. The red vice is an old ski-waxing vice, but you could just as easily use 2 of the cheap Harbor Freight vices.

The little silver thing is a piece of 1/4" aluminum that I took a die grinder to and made a .370 notch in to slip over the shaft and apply pressure to the head.

The pictures and kinda shakey video should be pretty self-explanatory beyond that.

If ya have any questions, feel free to ask!

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3903.JPG

Sorry for the shakey video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyhVMBp6lKA

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Very cool! How does she handle graphite shafts? Congratulations! I'm not handy by any means so this just amazes me the creativity...

Thanks! I made this puller after ruining a fairly expensive graphite shaft by over-heating it. It's EASY to overheat graphite. The puller does graphite just fine, you just wouldn't want to twist on the head like I did with the steel shaft in the video.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I recently purchased this: http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040097/golfsmith-graphite-shaft-pry-bar to use with a heat gun.

Do you think it's worth the effort to build one of these? The price tag seems very reasonable, but putting it together probably takes some time. I'm going to be removing the adapter from my 910's current shaft and putting it on a KBS Hybrid S shaft and would like to save the old shaft so I can sell it on ebay.

I recently purchased this: http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040097/golfsmith-graphite-shaft-pry-bar to use with a heat gun.

Do you think it's worth the effort to build one of these? The price tag seems very reasonable, but putting it together probably takes some time. I'm going to be removing the adapter from my 910's current shaft and putting it on a KBS Hybrid S shaft and would like to save the old shaft so I can sell it on ebay.

If you keep constant pulling pressure on the head while heating it will work fine. You want the head to pop-off as soon as the glue breaks so you don't apply any extra heat that will ruin the shaft. The shaft puller basically does the same thing as the pry-bar, but it frees up a hand, so if you're only doing a few a year it might not be worth the half hour it took to make. I had both vices (and many more) laying around so it was essentially free for me :)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I'm building one using a bottle jack, a peg off of a bike no one rides and a piece of bar stock. Total cost is $15 for the jack.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'm building one using a bottle jack, a peg off of a bike no one rides and a piece of bar stock. Total cost is $15 for the jack.

HA! I couldn't trust myself to use moderation if I had 4 tons of hydraulic pressure at my fingertips :)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Thanks for the write up BK, I may have to build one of these. I do my own irons, but I'm still weary of pulling graphite myself.

For the cost of that vice and some time it wouldn't take very many trips to the golf store to get a shaft pulled to pay for itself.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Could you elaborate on the metal piece in the green vice that hold the aluminum piece in the vertical position.

Does this come with the vice or is it something else you make?. My similer vise does not have anything between the\

front and back gripping pieces.

Looks an excellent puller and I would like to make one

Thanks

Tony

Could you elaborate on the metal piece in the green vice that hold the aluminum piece in the vertical position.

Does this come with the vice or is it something else you make?. My similer vise does not have anything between the\

front and back gripping pieces.

Looks an excellent puller and I would like to make one

Thanks

Tony

The Harbor Freight vice comes like that. It has a removable "faceplate" if you will, that is secured by 2 small screws. I just put in 2 longer screws so I could slip in the 1/4" aluminum piece that pulls off the head. Not all vices have the removable faceplate.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

One thing to note is that most pullers for sale by Golfsmith, Golfworks, etc. have a coil spring so you can preload tension on the head. The preload causes the head to immediately release once you've applied enough heat to allow you to remove the head and crank the puller to remove the head / shaft completely. FWIW, I use a heat gun instead of a torch and, while that does a better job of protecting the finish on the head, it does take longer - allowing the head to heat up enough that I always use gloves to remove the head. Better safe than sorry!

One thing to note is that most pullers for sale by Golfsmith, Golfworks, etc. have a coil spring so you can preload tension on the head. The preload causes the head to immediately release once you've applied enough heat

Exactly. That's why you want to turn it a crank or so before heating to put pressure on the head like a spring would.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• 1 month later...

Gotta give a huge amount of credit to BK. Using some vices and a work table I have at home, I made my own version of BK's shaft puller.

The table has different sections with a screw underneath to push/pull them apart. I put one vice on each section. My crowbar shaft puller went into one vice and I put the rubber shaft holder in the other vice. Once the shaft was in, I use the orange lever to pull the two table sections apart and create pressure. A little bit of butane (stopping heat the instant the shaft was pulled) and I pulled an iron shaft and two graphite shafts no problem!

IMGP3774.JPG

IMGP3777.JPG

IMGP3780.JPG

I also used RB7's tip on saving a 910 ferrule by using hot water to loosen the ferrule and push it up the shaft: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/4147-titliest-910-adapter-removal-and-install/page__view__findpost__p__45365

Umm..so now I need to know if I ruined the shafts or note, please tell me:

IMGP3784.JPG IMGP3785.JPG

That's a fantastic use of that bench!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

That's a fantastic use of that bench!

That's what I call " wickid smaht"

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The question may have gotten lost in the pictures. How can I tell if the shafts I pulled are still good?

If you see visible damage (like mushrooming) it's prolly toast. If you don't see visible damage it could still be bad though. The epoxy in the shaft will re-harden (and it might look fine) but the integrity will be gone and it'll snap. You can try bending the shaft tip with your fingers and even slide a head on it and flex it some to feel it out.

Pulling it the way you described in your post I'd bet dollars to donuts you're good to go though.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

If you see visible damage (like mushrooming) it's prolly toast. If you don't see visible damage it could still be bad though. The epoxy in the shaft will re-harden (and it might look fine) but the integrity will be gone and it'll snap. You can try bending the shaft tip with your fingers and even slide a head on it and flex it some to feel it out.

Pulling it the way you described in your post I'd bet dollars to donuts you're good to go though.

Thanks again BK. Visually they look ok and I tried lightly tapping the tips against the ground and nothing broke.

Just pulled my first graphite shaft using a modified crowbar and constant, steady pressure. I don't think the graphite shaft is any the worse for wear.

Should be getting my Excalibur shafts tomorrow -- time to start playing!

Also, saw this on ebay -- what do you guys think?

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Also, saw this on ebay -- what do you guys think?

That will not work well.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

That will not work well.

I trust your judgment - but what's the deal?

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think you'll have fits trying to get the angles just right to keep it from popping off the vice when you start applying the pressure.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I think you'll have fits trying to get the angles just right to keep it from popping off the vice when you start applying the pressure.

Good to know -- think I'll save the 20 bucks and use my abbreviated crowbar -- seemed to work well enough. Thanks!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived