Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Torpedo Putters

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

I do remember seeing these before and I liked that they were looking to the shaft for innovation. Head shape and price are a bit out there though.

I think that they really need to include address pictures with the product info, because just front and back don't give me an idea of how it will look in use.

Also, they mention the success in the Irish and British Open, but the details are not listed under testimonials. weird

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

They're kinda weird. They make a lot of wild claims on their website, does anyone know if they actually back them up?

Read the testimonials. Could be greatest putter ever, and pros would love it. However, it takes some serious cash for a small maker to get a pro to bag a club like that.

That is why I want more info on the euro presence.

Volvo Intorqueo

Read the testimonials. Could be greatest putter ever, and pros would love it. However, it takes some serious cash for a small maker to get a pro to bag a club like that.

That is why I want more info on the euro presence.

I want to know more about the scientific claims they make. Like:

Improves depth perception, and by extension,

Improves awareness of clubface angle, position and speed during the stroke (more instinctive targeting),

Helps dissipate unwanted clubface and shaft vibration.

I would want to see a sort of scientific experiment proving if it actually improves depth perception. That would be tough to do, but the testimonials don't mention it either. I could get that many people who like any other putter, because it's so much contingent on personal opinion.

• SPY VIP

Improves awareness of clubface angle, position and speed during the stroke (more instinctive targeting),

I would want to see a sort of scientific experiment proving if it actually improves depth perception. That would be tough to do, but the testimonials don't mention it either. I could get that many people who like any other putter, because it's so much contingent on personal opinion.

There is your next science fair project. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

I've looked at this before and remember thinking the same things about their very bold claims. The last couple "revolutionary" putters I've seen posted here or elsewhere have been kinda "meh" (the square hosel, for example, for improved alignment).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Another putter company that should try its hand at golf sculptures. Not performance putters.

I actually like that they added some art to them, but it is a bit over the top, says the man with the twisted neck putter.

I am curious to see what they play like though. Gotta putt to be a putter in my bag

Volvo Intorqueo

I actually like that they added some art to them, but it is a bit over the top, says the man with the twisted neck putter.

I am curious to see what they play like though. Gotta putt to be a putter in my bag

Difference being, I think all that "art" is visible at address.

• SPY VIP

Difference being, I think all that "art" is visible at address.

Good point.

I guess it is like trying to figure out a movie by seeing the poster. You can sort of get an idea bout the movie, but you really don't know anything for certain until you see it.

We need someone who has rolled one.

Volvo Intorqueo

Good point.

I guess it is like trying to figure out a movie by seeing the poster. You can sort of get an idea bout the movie, but you really don't know anything for certain until you see it.

We need someone who has rolled one.

We do, but at $350 a piece, I'm not sure a lot of people have taken that plunge. It would be nice if they had a demo program. If their claims held up, they'd have lots of good word-of-mouth advertising.

• SPY VIP

We do, but at $350 a piece, I'm not sure a lot of people have taken that plunge. It would be nice if they had a demo program. If their claims held up, they'd have lots of good word-of-mouth advertising.

Too different looking for mass market, regardless of performance though.

High profile TV win, maybe, but word of mouth may be too little on this one.

Too pricy for the well, I'll give it a roll mentality

Volvo Intorqueo

Too different looking for mass market, regardless of performance though.

High profile TV win, maybe, but word of mouth may be too little on this one.

Too pricy for the well, I'll give it a roll mentality

I agree that the price and "different-ness" puts them outside the mass market, but I think if they got people on the forums talking about it, they could at least get into the equipment junkie market. When you post a thread about them and hear crickets chirping, that's not a good sign.

• SPY VIP

I agree that the price and "different-ness" puts them outside the mass market, but I think if they got people on the forums talking about it, they could at least get into the equipment junkie market. When you post a thread about them and hear crickets chirping, that's not a good sign.

At what price point would you grab one out of curiosity though? I am a total putter ho, and I would maybe drop $50 shipping included.

Volvo Intorqueo

At what price point would you grab one out of curiosity though? I am a total putter ho, and I would maybe drop $50 shipping included.

I would definitely drop $20 to demo it, similar to the way that Byron does it. I would definitely not spend $300+ on a curiosity, but if I read a whole bunch of positive stuff, got to try it, then I might take the plunge.

• SPY VIP

I would definitely drop $20 to demo it, similar to the way that Byron does it. I would definitely not spend $300+ on a curiosity, but if I read a whole bunch of positive stuff, got to try it, then I might take the plunge.

That is why Byron's demo program is fantastic. Plus the chance to get it 1/2 price at the end. I will do all demos this year...

Volvo Intorqueo

That is why Byron's demo program is fantastic. Plus the chance to get it 1/2 price at the end. I will do all demos this year...

Yeah, I can't wait for the CI to get offered up. I'm definitely demoing the Bombora, DBCM, and DH89 w/slot this year.

DH89 w/slot it the one that I am looking forward to, and the 8802. Not that I can putt with one, but I'll give it a go i it is one of his.

I don't know if I can putt with an 8802 either, but I love the look so much that I must have one.

He lets you demo a putter for $20? That's a great idea.

He lets you demo a putter for $20? That's a great idea.

Yes it is. They set up around 5 putters for the year as demo putters and they need to get 10-15 people signed up for each one. Each person pays a set amount and agrees to ship it to the next person within a week or getting it. After it's gone around, they have a raffle and the winner can buy the putter, after it's been refinished, for around half price.

Yes it is. They set up around 5 putters for the year as demo putters and they need to get 10-15 people signed up for each one. Each person pays a set amount and agrees to ship it to the next person within a week or getting it. After it's gone around, they have a raffle and the winner can buy the putter, after it's been refinished, for around half price.

Wow, that's fantastic. So you get a refinished putter for half price plus $20 if you win the raffle. Good deal.

To me half the battle with all clubs are they have to look good as well as perform.These things are just plain UGLY. Also if you mechanics are not proper no putter is going to improve your stroke. JMO

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

To me half the battle with all clubs are they have to look good as well as perform.These things are just plain UGLY. Also if you mechanics are not proper no putter is going to improve your stroke. JMO

It is certainly easier to have confidence in a club that looks good, and these things are definitely...alternatively attractive.

However, I'm not sure that proper mechanics matter when you have 3D head geometry. :o

That is REALLY cool. Have you done that yet? If so, did you ever win the raffle?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

That is REALLY cool. Have you done that yet? If so, did you ever win the raffle?

Yes, I've been in 2 test groups. The first one I didn't enter the raffle because I ended up buying a custom. The second one has not been raffled yet, but I'm hoping to win.

Archived