3 Cigar Review

Our Sponsors

Hey all,

As promised I decided to review all three cigars as I trained my palate with. While being my first ratings and not sure of the system that will be used I hope I don't step over any boundaries here but wanted to share my thoughts since I had some time to put them together. I shared the pictures on the other thread and also have inserted below. hope you enjoy and if you can find any of these bad boys let me know what your take is. MGS Frank I may even be able to send you one or two of the Quinteros to check out since they are cheap and hard to find. You can send me an email at franksav1@verizon.net if need be.

ENJOY!!!!!

Quintero Brevas – April 2012

Rating

Dimensions:

Length: 5 1/2"

Diameter: 3/5"

Ring gauge: 40

Price: $2.36 per stick

Smoking time: 1 -1 h 25 min

Shape: Petit Corona

1st Third

The Quintero starts with a creamy initial burn with hints of Coffee and Cocoa. The pull was excellent the whole way through with a very mellow blend.

2nd Third

As the cigar heated and rested between other lights and smoke it started to beckon hints of wood and leather making this mild cigar become quite a bit stronger but not overwhelming.

Final Third

As the burn approached the band the cigar omitted all flavors and the burn stayed mellow and not heated, a testament to a quality roll.

Overall

Not sure how the point system is going to be held here but for the price range ($2.36 a stick) and the unknown name this cigar and brand have become a staple in my humidor. If we use the 100 Point system I will have to give it a strong 87 considering it is still young and the oils didn't have much time to mature. This cigar held a nice white ash the whole way through.

When I purchase cigars I keep one of each for an aging process in a separate humidor. May have to revisit this in about a year to see where the flavors go from there. A perfect cigar on course that doesn't need many (if any) relights….Maybe when riding in a cart but the added wind will do that to most any cigars

Montecristo No. 5 – 2012

Rating

Dimensions:

Length: 4"

Diameter: 3/5"

Ring gauge: 40

Price: $7.80

Smoking Time: 25-40M

Shape: Tres Petit Corona

1st Third

This Monte starts with Spicy Espresso bold flavors and packs a huge initial punch from a tiny cigar. Pull was excellent.

2nd Third

As the cigar heated and rested between other lights it started to release Pepper and coffee flavors adding to the medium to full flavor the Monte's tout.

Final Third

As the burn approached the band the cigar omitted leather finish which I am not sure was due to the three cigars going at once. The cigar also was a little heated due to the small stature toward the end

Overall

If we use the 100 Point system I will have to give it a strong 87 considering it is still young and the oils didn't have much time to mature. While young the cigar had a nice start but became a little bold for my liking. Again I anticipate having this after maturation and probably in the morning with a nice cappuccino or maybe next fall during thanksgiving desert. Not out fo the ordinary for CUbans, this cigar held a darker slightly grey ash the entire burn.

Romeo Y Julieta – 2012

Rating

Dimensions:

Length: 4 7/10"

Diameter: 1/2"

Ring gauge: 33

Price: $7.40 per stick

Smoking time: 30-45 min

Shape: Julieta No.6

1st Third

This RyJ starts with Fruity Floral almost grassy burn and holds true to form with each puff. The fruit was almost a strawberry flavor but couldn't quite be pinpointed. Pull was a little tight but based on the gauge that was expected.

2nd Third

As the cigar heated and rested between other lights it started to release cocoa leather in the middle which was quite interesting. Considering these cigars were virtually put in production to allure women the change in scenery was quite unexpected but would've been anticipated at first glance of the wrapper

Final Third

As the burn approached the band the cigar omitted spicy finish showing the complex nature of the leaves used and construction in the RyJ brand name.

Overall

If we use the 100 Point system I will have to give it a strong 90 considering it is still young and the oils didn't have much time to mature. While young the complexity of this cigar was much appreciated and I can only wait until the aging process reveals the full gamut of flavors. This cigar will hold up anytime of the day and is a good cigar on the go. As states before, the cigar was built to allure women smokers as the size promotes easier handling. I for one wasn't anticipating this when I opened the box but upon smoking became a quick fan. The packaging is also cool with a flip top metal case of five cigars good to take on the run. this cigar had a darkeish grey ash which is not very noraml but may be mostly due to the dark wrapper.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Good review! I'm glad that you all are starting to write reviews before the official ones arrive at my door (and they are this week :) ). I think you nailed how things are going to go with the review. Basically in my reviews, I have a 100 point system and description. When I was emailing Nat Sherman, I told them I was going to do something like this:

Appearance: The appearance will be graded:the wrapper's smoothness, color consistency, texture. (Most likely out of 15 points)

Draw and Smoke: Here I will grade everything that involves smoke. I will grade the draw, texture, and probably the

way it burns. (30 points)

Flavor: It is basically that. I will break down the flavor into each third of the cigar when going into detail, and then when rating, I will rate the taste, how well everything works, and the richness of the cigar (35 points)

Value: Based on quality of the smoke, brand name, etc. (20 points)

As far as Montecristo and Romeo y Julieta go, you sort of expect a great smoke, and it looks like you enjoyed them thouroughly. As far as the Quintero, it is not known as much as the other two. It is a Cuban cigar that is machine-made with shorter fillers of more well-known tobaccos. I have heard mixed reviews about it, but I am glad that you enjoyed it!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Good review! I'm glad that you all are starting to write reviews before the official ones arrive at my door (and they are this week :) ). I think you nailed how things are going to go with the review. Basically in my reviews, I have a 100 point system and description. When I was emailing Nat Sherman, I told them I was going to do something like this:

Appearance: The appearance will be graded:the wrapper's smoothness, color consistency, texture. (Most likely out of 15 points)

Draw and Smoke: Here I will grade everything that involves smoke. I will grade the draw, texture, and probably the

way it burns. (30 points)

Flavor: It is basically that. I will break down the flavor into each third of the cigar when going into detail, and then when rating, I will rate the taste, how well everything works, and the richness of the cigar (35 points)

Value: Based on quality of the smoke, brand name, etc. (20 points)

As far as Montecristo and Romeo y Julieta go, you sort of expect a great smoke, and it looks like you enjoyed them thouroughly. As far as the Quintero, it is not known as much as the other two. It is a Cuban cigar that is machine-made with shorter fillers of more well-known tobaccos. I have heard mixed reviews about it, but I am glad that you enjoyed it!

HI Frank,

Thanks for the update and I will change my reviews to entail the "correct" rating when i have the time. want to follow suit YA KNOW!!!

Anyways, yes paying that much for those sticks you should enjoy them. the Quintero, while machine bunched, is hand finished so it has some minor inconsistencies in the wrapper cigar to cigar (i beleive due to the bunching) but at $2 a stick it's great on the course and for a short filler holds the ash well and stays lit. for a nice mild walk in the dewy moring grass it is spectacular;)

On a brighter note...I finally received my package with the following:

Paratgas Series E (man when you look at this cigar you don't know whether to gold palte it or smoke it) the box was marked April of 2012 so young tabbaco and we will be holding one or two to age. I believe the first couple will be smoked with brother and uncle on Thanksgiving or XMAS.

TRINIDAD COLONIALES (another beautiful looking cigar from one of the mid level cuban makers little pigtail twist at top)no marking for timeframe constructed on box of 5

H.UPMANN HALF CORONA (these cigars are very nice and oily with a Connecticut wrapper appearence and have received a 91 rating on CA website)

Monte Open Junior (which was a gift from the vendor and a very nice smoke such as the No5 although a little thinner in gauge).

JOSE LA PIEDRA NACIONALES (i tend to like the machine made cheapies for the course but was pleasently supprised when I turned the box over and noticed these cigars were produced Nov of 2009). a little more aged and getting used to my humidors temps and the flavors should erupt. of course i couldn't wait for that and since I have 25 of them lit one up fridaya dn it was beautiful but needs some time to loosen up from shipping.