Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Chipping with a hybrid

I've experimented a little with this. I typically use it when I'm only a foot or less off the green, but in the rough. On a tight fairway I'll still either putt or bump and run with a wedge or 7i.

It has basically replaced the bladed wedge for me. I would sometimes have issues with double hitting the bladed wedge from just in the rough, and I have no distance control with a regular pitch or chip from that close. The hybrid pops it out of the rough nicely and gets the ball rolling.

I agree it takes a lot of practice to realize how hot the ball comes off the face.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I will only use the hybrid on a lie that dictates it; for example, yesterday on a par three I hit it through the back of the green and was only about 4" off the fringe, but I was sitting slightly up in the rough and had a downhill lie. The chances of hitting a good shot with a wedge from that lie were slim.

All the times I've tried this, I've failed miserably.

I guess I'm just used to the heavier weight and feel of a wedge/iron.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

All the times I've tried this, I've failed miserably.

I guess I'm just used to the heavier weight and feel of a wedge/iron.

When I try to chip with a hybrid it's lousy. But....if I putt with the hybrid, it's usually pretty good. I'm talking about the exact same shot....just mentally thinking about the stroke as a putt, not a chip.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

When I try to chip with a hybrid it's lousy. But....if I putt with the hybrid, it's usually pretty good. I'm talking about the exact same shot....just mentally thinking about the stroke as a putt, not a chip.

Agreed, I treat it like putting. I call it chipping though since it's not on the green...

I used to chip with my hybrid when my ball was on the fringe and and there was rough close enough behind the ball that I didnt feel comfortable trying to putt with it.

Now, I just carry a chipper and am much happier.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I use this shot - allot!!!!! It's a great shot for me - I use it if I'm just off the fringe in another length of grass (rough or semi rough). I use it if I'm into the grain and have to transverse fairway length grass to the green and finally I use it if I'm up against the collar.

It takes a little practice - not tons of practice but a little practice to master the shot but it's really quite easy - I used to use a 7 wood for that type of shot prior to the advent of hybrids - but now I'll always reach for the 4 hybrid for the types of shots described above - I've even used it for down hill lies out of packed sand where there was no lip on the bunker.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have putted with the hybrid from time to time and was really quite good at it, with just a little practice. However, a lot of the time now I do not have a hybrid per se. I have the Mizzy Fli Hi's that I carry most of the time so they do not have the explosive face of the FM's or Hybrids.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I used to practice some with my fairways but in the end gave it up as too limited in use and needing way too much gentle feel to work properly. I settled for using a selection of short irons, depending on needed shot. You get to hit the ball a little harder and end up with more brakes on the landing so that the roll out isn't so much and reasonably predictable.

I consider the wood chip essentially a trick shot needing too much skill and feel.

Shambles

If the greens are in good shape, and it's open, I will use the hybrid chip whenever I can. It's reliable and I want the ball rolling as quickly as possible.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I do not do this. I like the spin I generate with my wedges.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I have wanted to test this for quite a while, and have only attempted it once during around. This was when the ball was in the second cut, and I didn't quite feel comfortable getting enough club on the ball, and I had PLENTY of green to work with.

I played a pretty decent shot, but it still ran about 4/5 feet past the hole. I managed to drain the putt coming back for a good up and down.

Although that was a good result, I actually practised this hybrid chip last week, and felt I couldn't quite get a handle on the "spring-iness" of the face. I had some shots that ended up short, and others ran quite a bit past the hole.

While I think it is a great shot to have in the arsenal, it will be in the same drawer as the lob shot for myself, he only-play-it-when-there-is-absolutely-no-other-choice drawer.

I do still think it is a great option to explore, and will try to develop some feel for this shot in future.

But right now I am chipping really well, and I don't want to lose that feel by trying a shot that I won't use as much.

I have recommended this shot to a hacker friend, that has a older 7 wood. The face isn't as hot\springy, and he should be able to judge distance fairly easily.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

I do not do this. I like the spin I generate with my wedges.

AJ

Its much easier and more consistent to chip with a hybrid and roll it up to the hole than to try to use a wedge because with the wedge it can be difficult to control distance and spin. If you get either the distance or spin wrong, the shot wont end up close to the hole. With a hybrid or FW though, you can just use a putting stroke and you take spin out of the equation, so its a much easier shot to control and predict.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Its much easier and more consistent to chip with a hybrid and roll it up to the hole than to try to use a wedge because with the wedge it can be difficult to control distance and spin. If you get either the distance or spin wrong, the shot wont end up close to the hole. With a hybrid or FW though, you can just use a putting stroke and you take spin out of the equation, so its a much easier shot to control and predict.

Sounds to me as if you're talking more about putting from off the green with a wood rather than chipping, and if so, the hybrid or fairway serves fairly well. Chipping is another matter and I consider that rather difficult to control.

Shambles

You need to hit higher up on the ball to control the distance sparnar - a slight blade if you will.

Actually whoever mentioned spin this is one of the shots I hit when I don't want spin - when it's open between me and the pin spin becomes the enemy.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You need to hit higher up on the ball to control the distance sparnar - a slight blade if you will.

Actually whoever mentioned spin this is one of the shots I hit when I don't want spin - when it's open between me and the pin spin becomes the enemy.

Ahhh, ok... Thanks, revkev! I'll give that a shot next time I'm at a practice green.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Like most things practice is the key with this shot - it very much replaces the bellied sand wedge concept that Seve had all of us playing back in the 80's - you had to be very precise and really work at that one - this is much, much easier and takes much less practice but it does take some.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I never have and never will. I will use high irons, up to a 5 iron and thats where I max out. Depending on how far I am from the green I will use the loft I believe is required to get it onto the putting surface. I just give it a putting stroke, and it becomes nothing more than a lofted putt. For me, a hybrid is WAY too much loft to chip with. If you can use a hybrid to clear it onto the green then I just use a putter. If it is in thick rough, I will still use an iron or wedge. Way too much room for error when using a hybrid.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

I never have and never will. I will use high irons, up to a 5 iron and thats where I max out. Depending on how far I am from the green I will use the loft I believe is required to get it onto the putting surface. I just give it a putting stroke, and it becomes nothing more than a lofted putt. For me, a hybrid is WAY too much loft to chip with. If you can use a hybrid to clear it onto the green then I just use a putter. If it is in thick rough, I will still use an iron or wedge. Way too much room for error when using a hybrid.

If its a really long one I want to roll there I like hybrid because you don't need to hit it hard because the face is so hot.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

If its a really long one I want to roll there I like hybrid because you don't need to hit it hard because the face is so hot.

I guess if that floats your boat. I can't say I've ever seen a situation where a 5 or 4 iron isn't hot enough to get it there easily.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

The principal betwee using a 5 iron, hybrid or fairway wood to chip with is basically the same, get it rolling like a gut with as little back spin as possible. However there is a subtle difference in that the hybrid or fairway wood is a far better choice out of some rough or a fluffy lie because of it's girth - it glides through the grass easier - you might try it some time jayhawk - it will add another weapon to your arsenal.

I've got another question for folks who use hybrid to chip with. What loft do you use? The past 6 years I've carried 3 hybrids - 20, 23, 27. I've always used the 23 to chip with. However I just came from the range where I made the "mistake" of hitting my new fli-hi. It looks like it has a very real chance of making it into the bag - it's somewhere inbetween a traditional 4 iron and a 4 hybrid for me in terms of trajectory which means it's probably about like a 4 iron really should be - bottom line is that I suspect I'll be able to control it better than the 23 degree hybrid.

So does anyone chip with a 20? I've tried it a few times and prefered the 23 but I can always practice around that particularly if the fli-hi turns into the club that I think it can.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Rev, I only carry a 4/21* (well, I've put the Fourteen Hi-660 in now in 18* but I'm not sure it'll stick). I have another shot I found a few months back when hitting this shot, I literally belly it (use it like a belly putter). I've always just kind of skimmed it like a putter, but this one allows me to pop the ball down into the back of the ball at a sharper descent angle. Found it practicing doing it against the collar one day before a round (I'd had 3 shots my previous round where I was against the collar that gave me trouble). That allowed me to hinge my wrists enough to get it out and create a sharp descent angle into the ball with control. I've only used it once on the course thus far, but it does work well.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The principal betwee using a 5 iron, hybrid or fairway wood to chip with is basically the same, get it rolling like a gut with as little back spin as possible. However there is a subtle difference in that the hybrid or fairway wood is a far better choice out of some rough or a fluffy lie because of it's girth - it glides through the grass easier - you might try it some time jayhawk - it will add another weapon to your arsenal.

I've got another question for folks who use hybrid to chip with. What loft do you use? The past 6 years I've carried 3 hybrids - 20, 23, 27. I've always used the 23 to chip with. However I just came from the range where I made the "mistake" of hitting my new fli-hi. It looks like it has a very real chance of making it into the bag - it's somewhere inbetween a traditional 4 iron and a 4 hybrid for me in terms of trajectory which means it's probably about like a 4 iron really should be - bottom line is that I suspect I'll be able to control it better than the 23 degree hybrid.

So does anyone chip with a 20? I've tried it a few times and prefered the 23 but I can always practice around that particularly if the fli-hi turns into the club that I think it can.

It definetely does make sense with the girth, but I guess it depends on what type of chip swing you use. Personally, while I use basically a putting stroke, I like to get the club right in to the ball and out quickly, so I use a steep attack. I don't like having to factor for resistance of the grass or surface, so in using an iron or wedge I try to make as little contact with the less predictable rough as possible.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Could be that we play out of very different rough - the rough down here is very tough - it will grab and twist an iron in a heartbeat.

Up North the rough tends to be higher but not as thick - I didn't really play this shot when I lived in Wisconsin - Hybrids were just coming to the fore as I moved down here - I used the bellied sand wedge at that point.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Scotland in 2006 and practiced extensively before with the hybrid. I was using it from 50-100 yards out for that trip and generally was getting as close as I would with any other club while decreasing my chance for error. As JBones can attest, our conditions around here vary and it's not always possible to use it anywhere other than the fringe. I still enjoy using the hybrid when the situation allows though. Def takes some practice for me to keep my touch with it.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Like most things practice is the key with this shot - it very much replaces the bellied sand wedge concept that Seve had all of us playing back in the 80's - you had to be very precise and really work at that one - this is much, much easier and takes much less practice but it does take some.

You can not belly a sand wedge or a hybrid or any other club if the USGA has their way.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Now that's funny RR.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived