Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizuno MP 59

HighFade

If you are in the market for irons, I can't give a higher recommendation than the Mizuno MP 59. I finally decided to ditch my old Golf Galaxy KE4's. They were good clubs, and even though I'm a decent ball striker I've always played a game improvement iron. But I was just getting tired of being two clubs shorter than the guys I played with in tournaments. Of course, when I mishit a shot, I wasn't penalize too bad. When one the guys playing blades mishit one - ouch!

So I finally laid down $1000, and holy cow! The face looks a bit small in comparison, but talk about feel! The ball feels like its made of foam when you hit it. Distance is greatly improved, and the MP 59 is just as forgiving on mishits.

I think I'm in love.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

glad you like 'em. Finishing up the first season with mine -- nothing like nailing one right on the sweet spot. It's addicting, and you just want more.

What did you get for shafts?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Welcome to the club! These babies are here to stay... for another season at least :P

Last week I had the shot of my life with the MP59 4 iron: a 205 yard approach shot for a tap-in birdie :D

Pure love!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I know the feeling, I enjoy my 59's.

They are very hard to beat for feel and consistency.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I have never hit the MP59's. I absolutely love my MP62's and I look at it like just because she is no longer on the cover of SI:Swimsuit Issue, does not mean you should throw Christie Brenkley out for a newer model.

Thursday, I installed some KBS Tours in Black Nickel in these clubs. Man o' man, these are good looking clubs now. Sort of like putting Christie in a little black dress. Of course the performance of the shafts are awesome but the black shaft makes the leading edge of the face stand out, more visible. This makes it easier to square the face at address. I came very close to not doing this deal with the shafts because they were black.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Sort of like putting Christie in a little black dress.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Now there's a visual to take on to the course! ;)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have the 59's in 8-PW and the JPX 825's in 4-7. I regret not getting the 59's as a whole set after hitting them on the course. They feel great and look better.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

yeah i have played with them for a few months and i have to say the sound and the crack you hear when u nail one is jst addictive.

its soft but it still has some kinda pop to it, it s a really nice feeling and the ball flight im getting with the shaft is the best i have so far

welcome to the club

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• 1 month later...

Talk about back-tracking! I initially loved the MP 59's, but I was mishitting them, so I decided to change things up. I moved to the JPX 825Pro with the KBS Shaft. They go just as long, feel very good coming off the face, but they are so much more forgiving! My mishit is typically a toe, and with the JPX, you can barely tell the difference.

I'm not under the delusion I'll make it on tour, so why not give myself the best chance to hit it on the green with a mishit?

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• 4 weeks later...

I was hitting balls next to a guy who has 68's on the range today - I know him from around the course because he's in his late 20's, won our city amateur a few years back and he played at University of Florida - yeah that University of Florida - he was struggling a bit though and when I remarked at how nice his irons looked he said, "You want them be my guest I'm about to throw them in a lake somewhere." He's just getting back into the game after taking a year off.

That's always the hard part about true players clubs - if you're a player and you're playing enough golf there really is nothing better - if you're not on one of the other well we know the answer to that.

I'm very happy with the combo that I have despite the fact that I think from time to time I wish on the 53's or better the 59's - those really look sweet.

I like stress free as much as the next guy! :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

"You want them be my guest I'm about to throw them in a lake somewhere."

Find out what lake, it may be worth a road trip and a little diving.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I'm guessing he didn't mean it but he did let me hit his 9 iron for a bit - I flushed 2 or 3 of the 5 I hit - those were awesome shots - we won't talk about the low liner to right that I hit in the middle of the sequence though. :lol:

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was hitting balls next to a guy who has 68's on the range today - I know him from around the course because he's in his late 20's, won our city amateur a few years back and he played at University of Florida - yeah that University of Florida - he was struggling a bit though and when I remarked at how nice his irons looked he said, "You want them be my guest I'm about to throw them in a lake somewhere." He's just getting back into the game after taking a year off.

That's always the hard part about true players clubs - if you're a player and you're playing enough golf there really is nothing better - if you're not on one of the other well we know the answer to that.

I'm very happy with the combo that I have despite the fact that I think from time to time I wish on the 53's or better the 59's - those really look sweet.

I like stress free as much as the next guy! :)

I also find I strike the ball way better when I'm not worried about hitting it flush...gotta love the backwards logic about golf.

Richard, I love the updated signature! FG-59!!!

I've still only hit the MP-59s once since I had them shafted with the KBS Tours. You guys on this thread are driving me crazy right now!

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

• 1 month later...

Again late post to an old thread, but I saw a set of LH 59's at the local golf store that I frequent, I am not a club ho, like some of you guys, but if I had the money, I would have bought them on the spot, they are beautiful clubs, and I love the look when at address. They are a blade but look very playable. since I already have the 68's, these would make a nice addition to the Mizzy family. My wife would kill me though.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Again late post to an old thread, but I saw a set of LH 59's at the local golf store that I frequent, I am not a club ho, like some of you guys, but if I had the money, I would have bought them on the spot, they are beautiful clubs, and I love the look when at address. They are a blade but look very playable. since I already have the 68's, these would make a nice addition to the Mizzy family. My wife would kill me though.

That's been tried before you know. What club do you think she'd use? :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I had played mp 32's for 7 years before Christmas this year when I upgraded to some jpx 800 pro's with steelfibers in them that I got for a steal. I was a +2 when I got the 32's in college but now I don't have as much time to play and practice. I never thought I wouldn't play a "players club" but, They are straighter and longer and I can get away with so many more mishits. It feels good to be back to hiting my irons the distances I did in college, plus they still look good and they don't have lots of offset. I just want to play what gives me the best shot of playing my best. People don't realize I am close to scratch just by looking at my clubs anymore but they know it by the first few holes when we play. ;)

Here's a link to my clubs if anybody wants to see them.

My link

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotten to the age now (60)where I've decided I'm going to play the game for fun and not really care what my score is at the end of the day.I'm making the jump this year all the way from my Ping G15's to the Mizuno MP59's.Even though I can shoot anywhere from a 80-90, when I stink the course up it's not because I'm hitting terrible iron shots.The MP59's are over the top beautiful!

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

Archived