Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Miura Introduces New Irons

TWShoot67

Miura Golf Introduces CB-501 Forged Cavity-Back Irons

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 05:15 PM PDT

Miura Golf has been making the world's highest-quality forged irons for 44 years, and today it is officially introducing its CB-501 forged cavity-back irons.

Miura CB-501 Forged Cavity-Back Irons

The official introduction of the CB-501 irons is exciting news for golfers, as Miura Golf-which has never had a fixed time frame for new-product introductions-only debuts new models when the quality of new technological advances demands it.

Like all Miura irons, the mild-steel CB-501s are hand precision-forged and custom crafted by Katsuhiro Miura, Miura Golf Inc.'s 67-year-old founder, whose forged clubmaking skills over the past 49 years have prompted the Japanese to claim he has “the Hands of God.” Mr. Miura is director of manufacturing and product development at his Japanese company, Miura Giken Co. Ltd., which operates manufacturing facilities in Himeji, Japan.

“We obviously are very excited about the CB-501 irons,” says Bill Holowaty, VP of Operations for Miura Golf in North America. “During development, Mr. Miura's goal was to combine the best features from his favorite Miura irons, both past and present. Well, needless to say, Mr. Miura has done it again.”

Mr. Miura's goal was to create an iron that featured the ideal ball flight, enough offset to promote playability, the perfect head size and a sole grind that would accommodate a broad range of players.

He started with a full cavity back that possessed a bit more offset than the company's CB-202, which has almost no offset. Mr. Miura worked on the sole grind until he had something that would not only appeal to a Tour player, but also was forgiving enough for a mid-handicap golfer. At that stage, the ball flight was still not what Mr. Miura envisioned, so he borrowed a design feature from the company's past-the sweet-spot muscle-back, which was used in a very different Miura iron, the CB-1003, back in 1996.

In all, Mr. Miura spent two years integrating these design variables in different ways until he found the blend that worked best for the widest range of golfers. The result is the CB-501-a cavity-back iron featuring a small muscle-back located behind the sweet spot that delivers the trajectory of a blade iron when the ball is struck on the center of the face. This style of iron also offers cavity-back forgiveness and ball flight, as the contact point moves away from the center of the face.

“Golfers who are connoisseurs of forged irons should make it a point to hit the CB-501 irons,” Holowaty says. “We are confident the CB-501s will quickly become your new best friend if you do.”

The CB-501 can be tested by visiting www.miuragolf.com to locate the closest Miura dealer. Miura Golf distributors outside of North America include Golfballistix (Belfast), Golf Partners (Hong Kong) and Torque Golf (Singapore).

If the CB-501 irons are anything like the Miura MC-102 Irons we reviewed, these will be nothing short of amazing.

The CB-501-features a W nickel (satin) chrome finish-is available in a 3-iron through pitching wedge set, right-hand only. U.S. MSRP $1,600

www.miuragolf.com

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Thanks Moe I was just about to give this link from where the article came from which shows pics as well. You beat me too it.

www.sandbox8.com (blog)

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

Miura makes some great looking irons. I would deffinately game the new Miura cb-501s based on their looks.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

they are really beautiful.

They should be for $200 retail per club.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

As everyone has said, beautiful irons. As a mid-handicap player, forgiving forgings are almost an oxymoron so I'd be interested in testing their claim that these would be suited for tour players all the way down to players of my skill level. Its awfully hard to make those two groups and everyone in between happy.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

As everyone has said, beautiful irons. As a mid-handicap player, forgiving forgings are almost an oxymoron so I'd be interested in testing their claim that these would be suited for tour players all the way down to players of my skill level. Its awfully hard to make those two groups and everyone in between happy.

LOL, I just wonder who's harder to please. The tour player that wants the loolks/high level performance...or the mid-level golfer that wants a player looking club that has forgiveness.

LOL, I just wonder who's harder to please. The tour player that wants the loolks/high level performance...or the mid-level golfer that wants a player looking club that has forgiveness.

I would tend to say the ladder as a Pro can play with just about anything.Most 10-15 handicap players want clubs that look like a players club but still allow them to hit all over the face and get decent yardage. JMO

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

I would tend to say the ladder as a Pro can play with just about anything.Most 10-15 handicap players want clubs that look like a players club but still allow them to hit all over the face and get decent yardage. JMO

My thoughts exactly....and I'm in that 2nd category.

the Miura "logo/stamping" looks similar to the Yankees.... As a life long Cubs fan... This disturbs me..... Not as much as not winning a world series in 3458173489037840 years though.... FML

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

• 1 month later...

the Miura "logo/stamping" looks similar to the Yankees.... As a life long Cubs fan... This disturbs me..... Not as much as not winning a world series in 3458173489037840 years though.... FML

• SPY VIP

Having never hit the CB-102s, I can't make a direct comparison - and of course it all depends on how one defines "forgiving" (seriously, is their a more ambiguous term in the golf industry?). I have spent a lot of time hitting the CB-501 on the simulators at Tark's Indoor Golf, and I've gamed them for my last 54 holes. The CB-501 is closer to a true blade (although definitely not all the way there) than what I play now (Mizuno MP-52), and what I've quickly learned from the CB-501s is that most everything I've ever been told (from nearly everyone not named Terry Kohler) is a lie. It is most definitely possible for higher handicap players to play musclebacks - and do so successfully.

The CB-501s are the 4th set of irons I've bagged in my life. Short of my original TM RAC OS (which I can barely remember at this point), the CB-501s are easily the most forgiving of the bunch (with forgiveness defined as the measure of what I can get away with from a distance (and to a lesser extent accuracy) when I don't find the sweet spot. The summary I would offer is that the CB-501s look and feel like something between a blade and a muscleback, but offer the forgivness of something closer to a cavity back.

I am currently hitting the CB-102's and am wondering if the 501's are more or less forgiving?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As Homer would say: "ummmmmmm...........sweeeeeeeeeeet........"

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸