TESTERS WANTED! ×

2013 TaylorMade R1 & RBZ 2 Driver

TaylorMadeSpy

Generally an employee of a foundry takes one out for compensation, has been going on forever and not much they have done has stopped it. More info from us will most likely be coming sooner than later on this.

What I find crazy is how when any pic that leaks early is fake or a early version and never the final product. I'm not saying it's true or false I just love when members of sites who have no connection to the brand other then their blind loyalty will say this is a FAKE from China. Then I say to myself, well where do they think these clubs are being made anyway.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A truly good fitter will want to know what a player is working on and try to up fit or fit into those desired swing changes. In actuality a truly good fitting might help make changes including help players who have trouble with properly loading the shaft and/or releasing the club.

Disagree with part of that. How am I suppose to fit for something a player can't do yet? It can't work that way. If you're making swing changes, go away and we'll fit you when you're done/feel you're ready.

That being said, it's not really hard to help out people with swing flaws find something that's better for their game. And, as you said, most players are far more consistently then they or many others seem to think. Helping out on release or loading aren't hard problems to help with.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

Disagree with part of that. How am I suppose to fit for something a player can't do yet? It can't work that way. If you're making swing changes, go away and we'll fit you when you're done/feel you're ready.

That being said, it's not really hard to help out people with swing flaws find something that's better for their game. And, as you said, most players are far more consistently then they or many others seem to think. Helping out on release or loading aren't hard problems to help with.

This is an interesting diversion from the actual topic. The Cobra guys talked a bit about this while I was out there last month. The reality, with the driver anyway, is that we're probably not as consistent as we think we are. When they did their in-house testing for the Amp Cell driver they found that most golfers, even single digit players, experience a meaningful variance in launch angle from one day to the next (a couple of degrees in one direction or another). As you know, that changes everything (all the other numbers are impacted). It's part of the argument they make for simple adjustment (tweak the driver for the game you have that day).

It's a bit of a curveball for the whole custom fitting game. With a driver, it's probably loft that gets messed with the most. Other things, tempo, transition, I do think those remain fairly consistent, and so that's what you need to fit for, but other things...dynamic loft...the way the club hits the ball at impact. Those, according to the research, change from one day to the next.

All of this further proves that nothing is absolute.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Agreed that the desired loft frequently changes to get the ideal numbers. I'm onboard with Cobra and other OEM's there.

I imagine Cobra has a far larger database then I, but what I've got is that tempo, release factor and swing path all remain very consistent unless a player makes a concerted effort to change.

That's more my point there. If one wants to work on their release, that's fantastic. Go to it and make it so or whatever phrase you want. But, at least for myself, I simply cannot fit someone into something when they tell me that after purchasing this, they're doing to do major work on their release or tempo.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

If you google "taylormade r1 driver" you can see the driver. Or a prototype of it. Another site i frequent wont let people see it.

Click on the image search, its one of the first few images.

looks like I'm not the only one opening an account on MGS after what happened last night. I got both of them on my computer actually, saving them before they were taken down for the SECOND time. If you want to see them, I can post them.

• SPY VIP

looks like I'm not the only one opening an account on MGS after what happened last night. I got both of them on my computer actually, saving them before they were taken down for the SECOND time. If you want to see them, I can post them.

Please don't post any images that are watermarked with another sites logo. We understand the demand, but we don't want to create any copyright issues.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

That driver in the picture is hideous.

Only slightly off topic, but... this is a perfect example of a conversation with OEMs from time to time. The "leaked" images are very often low quality, and more often than not cast a negative light on the product. That is to say the response to the first set of less than beautiful images is usually negative. Doesn't matter the brand, doesn't matter the product. The poor quality kills buzz before it starts.

What we continuously suggest is that it might be better for any brand to acknowledge that the embargo is blown, and at least distribute quality photos. Hold off on the specific details, tech specs, etc. (it can be beneficial to have golfers speculating about this or that), but put some higher quality images into circulation.

Even if you want to maintain that what's out there is a fake (calling it a fake provides cover when you pull the pic down), we all know that the fakes are practically indistinguishable from the real thing. Once the image is out...it's out. As the adage goes, you can't un-ring the bell.

I'm not saying OEMs should ditch embargoes (it's all part of market strategy, timing, etc.), but this is a digital world. Everything has a camera, and even the best NDAs are hard to enforce when factory workers are walking off with your pre-release driver heads and sending pics to their buddies. Have a contingency plan...and be prepared to execute it.

In this specific case...yes, TMaG has an embargo date, but... not only is the pic out there (if google has it, the world has it), but from a strategy perspective, all of their competitors have already announced their 2013 stuff. TMaG is already last to announce...and that's ultimately where I think they want to be.

Quite frankly, I was a little surprised the new driver didn't make a surprise appearance 5 minutes after Callaway announced theirs. Cally generated the most buzz they have in years, and TaylorMade probably could have squashed a good bit of it.

Just one guy's opinion, but if you're looking for a weakness in TaylorMade's otherwise ironclad approach to marketing...from they outside, they're not nimble, and would appear to be unable or unwilling to shift gears and accelerate release plans at times when the situation suggests it might be advantageous to do so.

Agreed that the desired loft frequently changes to get the ideal numbers. I'm onboard with Cobra and other OEM's there.

I imagine Cobra has a far larger database then I, but what I've got is that tempo, release factor and swing path all remain very consistent unless a player makes a concerted effort to change.

That's more my point there. If one wants to work on their release, that's fantastic. Go to it and make it so or whatever phrase you want. But, at least for myself, I simply cannot fit someone into something when they tell me that after purchasing this, they're doing to do major work on their release or tempo.

I'll move this discussion elsewhere because I'm very interested in continuing it - I don't claim to be an expert in fitting or in equipment and I have a good deal of respect for Super Tuna so I'd like to hear more on this topic and also to allow others to weigh in - I'll move down to the fitting section - please come along.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Only slightly off topic, but... this is a perfect example of a conversation with OEMs from time to time. The "leaked" images are very often low quality, and more often than not cast a negative light on the product. That is to say the response to the first set of less than beautiful images is usually negative. Doesn't matter the brand, doesn't matter the product. The poor quality kills buzz before it starts.

What we continuously suggest is that it might be better for any brand to acknowledge that the embargo is blown, and at least distribute quality photos. Hold off on the specific details, tech specs, etc. (it can be beneficial to have golfers speculating about this or that), but put some higher quality images into circulation.

Even if you want to maintain that what's out there is a fake (calling it a fake provides cover when you pull the pic down), we all know that the fakes are practically indistinguishable from the real thing. Once the image is out...it's out. As the adage goes, you can't un-ring the bell.

I'm not saying OEMs should ditch embargoes (it's all part of market strategy, timing, etc.), but this is a digital world. Everything has a camera, and even the best NDAs are hard to enforce when factory workers are walking off with your pre-release driver heads and sending pics to their buddies. Have a contingency plan...and be prepared to execute it.

In this specific case...yes, TMaG has an embargo date, but... not only is the pic out there (if google has it, the world has it), but from a strategy perspective, all of their competitors have already announced their 2013 stuff. TMaG is already last to announce...and that's ultimately where I think they want to be.

Quite frankly, I was a little surprised the new driver didn't make a surprise appearance 5 minutes after Callaway announced theirs. Cally generated the most buzz they have in years, and TaylorMade probably could have squashed a good bit of it.

Just one guy's opinion, but if you're looking for a weakness in TaylorMade's otherwise ironclad approach to marketing...from they outside, they're not nimble, and would appear to be unable or unwilling to shift gears and accelerate release plans at times when the situation suggests it might be advantageous to do so.

I work in advertising, and actually have images from other companies under NDA right now I know people would love to see. I understand the want for no one to see your product. Apple used to be the master of this. Whenever stuff like this happens, it is always bad for the product to cover it up. It is obvious to me that is the final product, or a very close to final one. Fakes show up after launch not before.

Holy shizzzzz... Who in their right mind would pay almost $400 for a standard 3 wood? It better come with some serious shaft options, not the stock garbage in the current one.

A little bit of wrong info here--its 249 for glued, 279 for adjustable. I'll start posting stuff here going forward. I had a LENGTHY phone conversation with one of the owners at the other place last night. If they don't want me to release early info there, like I have been doing for 4 years (because it starts to infringe on their trips to the OEM's and all the free stuff they get) I'll just post it here. I'm tired of the ads over there disguised as "reviews" by mods and owners. Seems a little Todd-like.

I work in advertising, and actually have images from other companies under NDA right now I know people would love to see. I understand the want for no one to see your product. Apple used to be the master of this. Whenever stuff like this happens, it is always bad for the product to cover it up. It is obvious to me that is the final product, or a very close to final one. Fakes show up after launch not before.

Agreed. I had to sign a NDA with Nike and TM about the release this year. NO pics, and very little info. The Callaway stuff (pics AND info) I kept posting and getting taken down? No NDA. Not my fault Callaway screwed up. And Harry Arnett, the fired TM employee? Marketing spin is, and will always be, marketing spin. Callaway has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in their relationship at WRX, hoping that it will help them catch TM.

And no, that is NOT a fake R1.

A little bit of wrong info here--its 249 for glued, 279 for adjustable. I'll start posting stuff here going forward. I had a LENGTHY phone conversation with one of the owners at the other place last night. If they don't want me to release early info there, like I have been doing for 4 years (because it starts to infringe on their trips to the OEM's and all the free stuff they get) I'll just post it here. I'm tired of the ads over there disguised as "reviews" by mods and owners. Seems a little Todd-like.

Thank you! can not say that enough times. Its people like you that allowed people like them to have a business, and now they don't need you.

Nice to see you guys make the jump.

Welcome aboard!

T: Perhaps you can't confirm nor deny this one but the leak of the pictures of the Rocketbladez. That was TM doing it on purpose nes pas?

• SPY VIP

It's a slippery slope for all involved. Certainly each OEM we have relationships with has its own way of dealing with the release/publication of spy pics, both by readers and by the media outlets themselves.

Some can be what you might consider heavy-handed, while others are more understanding, and respectful (I suppose of our position). What I've told every OEM I've ever spoken with on the subject is that we don't feel it's our responsibility to be the enforcer of your NDAs. If you can't keep your product underwraps because of issues at the foundry, or because a sales rep left a piece of embargoed gear out for somebody to take a picture of, that shouldn't be on us...even if we're technically media.

At the same time I've been very clear that anything I'm sent ahead of Embargo will stay private until the embargo date, or until such time as I'm given the go-ahead to post. That said...IF we get images from another source, we're probably going to publish them. MOST, not all, but most, understand and accept that.

On the flipside, when you're tied to big OEM ad dollars, you're going to have to make compromises. That is the reality. And when you're trying to compete with Golf.com, Golf Channel, while in partnership with... well, it's probably in your best interest to pick your battles (or avoid them). I get the other approach. Playing 100% by the letter most definitely creates more opportunities both personally, and for the readers. You see the contests and giveaways that go on over there...they're fantastic for the guys who win, and for the mods, owners, etc. that travel with the winners to cover the events. It's hard to fault anybody who makes the decision to go that route...and you can make a plausible argument that it's the best route for the readers...or at least a subset of them.

We all choose our own path, and ours is a little bit different.

We've certainly dialed it back a bit over the last couple of years, and it has created more opportunities for our readers. It's a fine line, but for now, our plan is to continue to walk it.

So anyway...new guys migrating from that other place...welcome. We're glad to have you.

• SPY VIP

Nice to see you guys make the jump.

Welcome aboard!

T: Perhaps you can't confirm nor deny this one but the leak of the pictures of the Rocketbladez. That was TM doing it on purpose nes pas?

I don't personally have any absolute knowledge on the subject. We've certainly heard rumors...and there is some compelling evidence to suggest...at least in the past, that TaylorMade has strategically leaked pics ahead of their own embargoes.

RocketBladez, I don't know...and my gut could be wrong (sour after two cups of coffee this AM), but I don't think they did it with the RBDZ. The pics in question this time...definitely not TMaG leaks. Not always, but the nature of these leaks relies on being quick with the camera. That means there's often not a great opportunity to find good, or even decent lighting. It it was it is when you have 10 seconds to take the pics.

If the lighting is near perfect, and the photos are crystal clear, professional quality, the fix is probably on. Grainy cell phone stuff...it actually, I think, diminishes the brand and casts the product in a negative light. Most would be wise to avoid leaking low-quality stuff.

Sounds good T. I guess I haven't seen "spy" pics before of things like those zebra iron pictures and some of them seemed pretty up close. Though I suppose with a fancy lens, that wouldn't have been a problem.

Welcome guys great to have you here!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

Sounds good T. I guess I haven't seen "spy" pics before of things like those zebra iron pictures and some of them seemed pretty up close. Though I suppose with a fancy lens, that wouldn't have been a problem.

The RBDZ Tour Zebras...yeah...there was definitely some involvement in that. Those weren't really spy pics. I think WRX caught them on tour fair and square.

Very Mac Burrows esque

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

They were also emailed to me as well. And I have been emailing the anon reader quite a few times. I thought from the second I got them he was a TM employee planting them for this exact purpose they have done the last 4 years.

I actually tracked down a few of the people they used to plant images 2 years ago and they were quite surprised I located them and caught on to their game.

those pics that WRX posted were e-mailed to me by a TM employee. Definitely planted.

#TruthDigest

They were also emailed to me as well. And I have been emailing the anon reader quite a few times. I thought from the second I got them he was a TM employee planting them for this exact purpose they have done the last 4 years.

I actually tracked down a few of the people they used to plant images 2 years ago and they were quite surprised I located them and caught on to their game.

That is no surprise, helps them bridge the gap of the other club makers getting hype till there stuff comes out. Based on my years of advertising experience, they will only be able to fight Nike so long. Nike has way to much money and R and D. With Tiger and now Rory under there umbrella, that is 2 generations of kids growing up playing there stuff. I think the article on the front page reflects that.

Evening Guys

My TaylorMade rep is off to the States on Friday 21st Nov to see the new products, I am seeing him on the wednesday before he goes so I will ask him to take some photos and email me them, hopefully he will agree to do so and I will post them on here as soon as I can.

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Archived