Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golf Shaft length

jamo

Great article. Thanks for posting it Jamo. I was just going through the same driver length consideration myself just this past weekend. I have been playing most of my drivers around 44.5 - 45" recently over the past few years. However, when the shaft in my 909D3 broke last week, I brought it to the clubmaker on Sunday and instructed him to reshaft it at 44.25". My thinking in going with the slightly shorter length is to see if I would gain a little bit more in accuracy. Of course, a 1/4" difference may not be substantial when you compare it to a 44" v. 45.5" test this article talks about. However, in the back of mind I couldn't help but think of the number of Tour Pros who play with shorter-than-std length drivers.

The one that comes foremost to my mind is Sergio. I don't know if he still is, but up until recently his driver length was something like 43.5".

Really? I'd never heard that about Sergio. When I think of short clubs, I always think of AK choking up on everything in his bag.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I find the study above very interesting...

I have been using a Cobra L5V 11.5* Regular Diamona Shaft Length 45.5" for the past 1 1/2 yrs. My distance was only averaging about 205 yds in the fairway.

I just got a Powerbilt Air Force One 10.5* Nitrogen charged with a Regular Fujikura Shaft Length 45.5". My distance has improved to 230 - 241 - 251 yds.

Both drivers are the same length, 45.5". However, the Powerbilt totally outperforms the Cobra L5V. I hit both from the same tees in the same fairways with the same wind conditions. I am 59 yrs old and my swing speed is about 87 mph.

So for now, the Powerbilt stays in my bag!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have been using a Cobra L5V 11.5* Regular Diamona Shaft Length 45.5" for the past 1 1/2 yrs. My distance was only averaging about 205 yds in the fairway.

I just got a Powerbilt Air Force One 10.5* Nitrogen charged with a Regular Fujikura Shaft Length 45.5". My distance has improved to 230 - 241 - 251 yds.

Both drivers are the same length, 45.5". However, the Powerbilt totally outperforms the Cobra L5V. I hit both from the same tees in the same fairways with the same wind conditions. I am 59 yrs old and my swing speed is about 87 mph.

I have heard really good things about the Air Force One. We Tried to sell them in the store, but got no takers. It could be that the AF1 suits your swing much better than the Cobra, which would lead to the dramatic increase in distance...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I've actually read a couple reviews of that Powerbilt driver, and both of them gave it very high praise.

I've actually read a couple reviews of that Powerbilt driver, and both of them gave it very high praise.

I love it that we had to reduce the price of those to $79 to sell them..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived