TESTERS WANTED! ×

Carnahan Vintage Forged Wedge Reviews

RookieBlue7

Well... The UPS man just dropped a 38x4x4 box off.... Ill be starting on this ASAP (I've actually already gotten unboxing photos done, lol). MGS do you guys have the baseline review format ready for us?

A little teaser(iPhone pic snapped in a hurry, others are with an actual camera).

ECA3DE86-1175-4E79-89A3-40583F7A3110-2378-000002C6813E2DEA.jpg

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Just Arrived - Carnahan Vintage Forged Wedges

Surprisingly Carnahan used my Work address and brightened my Friday up a bit:)

Anyway, after unboxing I wanted to give my initial response and hope to put these through the review as soon as possible (thank god the supposed 3-6 inches didn't hit my neck of the woods).

On to the first date!!!!!

When Carnahan and I first met, upon opening the box, they revealed a classic elegant look. I think of the old Wilson "Staff" or Hogan forged wedges circa 1995-1999. A very bright chrome finish (although labeled pearl white on their website) pretty much what I was expecting. Thin top lines with a two tone face add to the heritage of the good old days for forged wedges (seems to be right on par with the Carnahan mission).

Initial feel/weight of the club seems similar to my Vokey's but I will have to put them side by side to get the true balance.

I tend to like my wedge bounce a little on the thin side (8 degree 56 4 degree 60) to get the leading edge a little more even with the turf. These come 10 and 8 degrees respectively and the Carnahan website says "Each wedge comes designed with three custom sole grinds to allow for optimal bounce with any lie." so we'll see once we get them in action.

I can definitely see these as gamers tomorrow just based on looks!!!!!!

I believe everyone has stated the Lime green paint fill as a nice addition and it doesn't disappoint in person. Even on the bottom side of the grip the green Carnahan logo stands out as unique.

I have to say...even the box is elegant!

C. Carnahan Vintage Wedges – Official MGS Forum Review by FSAV

IMG_0596 (Small).jpg

From the Company

In 2009, C. Carnahan set out to transition his relationship with Pinemeadow Golf Products, Inc. to “form a line of wedges that would match the insignia line of putters.” The line created was the vintage wedge which takes the construction and technology of today's equipment combined with a classic look.

While I don't have a loft and lie machine on hand nor a swing weight gauge, I asked for these to be standard loft and lie for each club. I may have the opportunity to bring them to my fitter which I will then have further information but for now I put them to use as they are stated on the website below.

Loft Lie Bounce

52° 64° 12°

56° 64° 10°

60° 64° 8°

Material & Head Weight

52° Forged 430 SS 297 grams

56° Forged 430 SS 298 grams

60° Forged 430 SS 301 grams

(SAME ACCROSS THE BOARD)

SwingWeight/ Finish / Hand / Length / Adjustability

D2-D4 / White Pearl / RH / 35.5” / ±2°

Length is said to be “uniform for one setup position” but I did feel some differences in the length of the 60° compared to my current gamer. Although nothing too cumbersome as I had gotten over this after the first few chip shots.

I do want to point out that even though there are minimal options here compared to the BIG OEM brands; C. Carnahan is a “Boutique” shop and does add that they have the ability for any customized options.

Material Composition: 430 Stainless Steel (Forged)

IMG_0599 (Small).jpg

How I Tested

Testing was done in a three part sequence.

1. On course - I hit various full shots from distances I would normally use the wedges. 52° is lasered at 105 yards, 56° at 95 yards, and 60° at 85 Yards (all laser yardages completed with Callaway Razr rangefinder). All measurements on the green were hand measured with a tape measure. Ball used was the Titleist Prov1x.
  2. Around the green – I added this section even though there is no “real” testing in MGS. I use an assortment of clubs all around the greens and mainly these three clubs. How they react to shots I normally play will be vital.
  3. Through a hitting bay out into a range - Hitting a series of shots using a flightscope monitor for spin performance.

Performance Scoring

52°

ACCURACY

While I have had limitations in my current gamers, my first 9 of 10 shots from 105 with the C. Carnahan 52° were quite spectacular. After the first scull across the green the next 9 shots came to rest an average 10.5 feet from the stick. If we were to discount the first wayward shot (off the grid) and the closest shot (2 feet 3 inches) we still have a total 11.531 feet from the target hole. Also, I have to see if this relates to all clubs but the divots seemed a bit deep to me.

CONSISTENCY

As a vintage forged model this club seems to target the Lower handicap players but surprisingly enough miss hits were still at a high percentage for distance control and accuracy. Although a thin line top the head looks a little bigger than the “vintage” wedges of yesteryear again staying consistent with today's technology. Again, minus the scull the accuracy on these babies doesn't lie. I haven't hit wedges this close since I was in college practicing 6 hours a day with my titleist high performance wedges. The grouping was excellent as well.

SPIN

A subject we all adore. I, for one, am not a person who generates a whole lot of spin but can make a ball dance here and there. This could be a result that I play on a fairly flat municipal course which doesn't have the tightest of lies…or it could just be me. Outdoors the ball seemed to perform around the same as my current gamer with the majority of balls hitting, jumping a foot or so and then spinning about a foot below the ball mark. Not bad for 45° weather. On the flightscope these seem to be right around par with the recent Wedge reviews on MGS hovering a bit below 10,300 RPM.

AROUND THE GREEN

I like to play many different shots with a multitude of clubs. That said, in the short game area I noticed the ball coming off the face a little to the heel. Again, not having the technology to test; I did a hand test. Holding the grip in between my forefinger and thumb I tap the face to see where the center or “sweet spot” is without wobbling (old trick from a teacher in college). It seems that the center or sweet spot is more towards the heel of the club (in line with some of the old MP Mizuno's I used to play). I am fully okay with this but those people who occasionally get what rhymes with “STANKS” (I am definitely not using that word) may need to look the other way. As for the all-purpose of the wedge: bump and runs, bunkers shots, chip and pitch shots were great. I did have a problem with turf interaction on fairway bunkers shots. First few swings were me but when I finally made clean contact it felt kind of “THUDDY” like the club was interacting with the sand far too much.

52°Grade: (90.6 of 100)

IMG_0636 (Small).jpg

56°

ACCURACY

My equivalent to a 56° is a 55° which I have been very fond of lately. For some reason or another aesthetically or physically the 56° C. Carnahan felt like the right club from the jump. The first 10 shots from 95 yards with the C. Carnahan 56° were also quite spectacular. After gauging the feel with the first swing (little long left) I peppered the flag over and over. Average distance was 7.07 feet from the stick. Discounting the furthest and closest from the stick we come to, FOR ME, a mind blowing average of 5.6125 feet. I have been striving to get my wedges from

CONSISTENCY

The numbers speak for them self here. Again the collection of balls was amazing. I wanted to add two things:

1. I like to try and work my wedges a little and these clubs allow for that as well. Now granted I'm not hitting 40 hooks like BUBBA here but they're workable.

2. Turf interaction. I seem to be taken a deeper divot with these clubs that I do with my current gamers. Not sure if it is the bounce or the weight but something is different.

SPIN

While I expected a little more “zip” on the 56° I had the same reaction all over the green. Truth be told if I can average these numbers on the course I care less about the spin. Is the ball stopping around target? CHECK! And MATE ! For those chess players out there. On the flightscope I was surprised to see my numbers decreased a tad. More to the 10,000 RPM range but again I am not complaining with my on course testing results.

AROUND THE GREEN

I use the 56 for more close range shots, bunker and FLOP shots. AHHH the flop shot. Now we really get into face manipulation and bounce. When I made the switch to my current gamers I found that the club “bounced” a bit on me in this area which I didn't have with my 56-08 Spin mills. Have to say the center being a little more to the inside was a little troublesome gauging distance with the flop but this is a specialty shot and all things aside the club performed as expected. On chip and pitch shots I was again making noticeably clean contact toward the heel of the club but contact was crisp and the ball reacted as it normally would for me.

56°Grade: (91.25 of 100)

IMG_0637 (Small).jpg

60°

ACCURACY

Having little sunlight after work I took to the course in an effort to keep this thing going. Another 45° or below weather forecast, not ideal, but it's better than snow covered. I ventured out to the area of course with the least traffic. Anyways, after a few warm-up swings I set this puppy in motion. The 60° seems a little different at first glance and maybe it was the looks but the results didn't match the previous two clubs. I was striking the ball well so contact wasn't the issue. All in all my 10 shots from 85 yards ended up 12.625 feet from the flag and after withdrawing the furthest and shortest it only dropped to 12.031 feet. I feel like the numbers should be decreasing here as we get closer to the hole but I am going to definitely get these things to my fitter to see if there are differences in the 52°-56° compared to the 60°.

CONSISTENCY

Again with consistency the balls were forming a great bunching which has always been a hurdle for me to overcome in practice. You always see those “scratch” boys bundling the balls near the pin around the greens and with their wedges. I have to say, distance from the hole aside, these are doing the trick. I think I just need the specs checked and tweaked; more to come on this.

SPIN

Oddly enough I was seeing the ball release a bit with the 60° rather than grab and spin. While the 12 foot range is definitely not horrific it didn't live up to my standards for the other clubs and maybe the release had something to do with it. On the flightscope the numbers ranged from 10,000 – 10,300 which was in the same ball park as the others so I am not completely sure. Maybe the ground was a little firm from the weather.

AROUND THE GREEN

I used to think the 60° was a specialty club now I don't know what I would do without it. Anything under 85 yards and this is my go to club. I like playing tight sand shots and manipulating the face around the green to do different things with the golf ball. Again, here, I see the ball consistently hitting the inside of the face towards the heel. This is taking away from some of the shots I like to play around the green but I have to say what a beauty out of the bunker. Full blasts and close tight pins were accessible. There is still something different about this club that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's the bounce but turf interaction seems better than the previous two.

60° Grade: (87.43 of 100)

IMG_0638 (Small).jpg

Overall Performance

Not much more to add than what already seems to be quite an extraordinary club. I have put these in the bag from day one and have not changed. If I get a chance to play a competitive round I might have to substitute the 60° until I get confirmation of specs but C. Carnahan has done a wonderful job here and I will be gaming these from this day forward (YES MR. VOKEY YOUR CUSTOM M GRIND SM4 WEDGES ARE IN THE GARAGE). The verdict is still out on how these interact with the hardpan.

Total Performance Score: 89.76

IMG_0645 (Small).jpg

Subjective Scoring

Looks

C. Carnahan has established the mission of the company to create a vintage look with today's technology. The club takes a bit of a tear drop shape but appears larger than actuality at address. The thin top line and “added” clubface room is quite pleasing and gives the player a sense of confidence. There is a slight offset but nothing out of the normal for clubs on the market today. The graphics are muted except for the “pearl white” finish. Of course, I wasn't expecting a powder coated wedge but I did get blinded a couple of times when facing the setting sun. The lime green paint fill is sweet but I would like to see it added to the C. Carnahan underneath the hosle of the club. You wouldn't be able to see it at address but it would pop at you as you lift it from the bag. I'd say they have something going here with the C. Carnahan now all we need is that Gun metal finish.

Looks Score: (91.25 Of 100)

IMG_0600 (Small).jpg

Sound and Feel

You know the feeling when you first hit the center of the clubface? Well take that to the course with you every time you hit one of these wedges. The feel goes right up your arms and straight to your heart. The only setback I had was the feeling being the same across the face. I knew I had hit a few shots weak but that was more my finish and hands telling me that (oh and the result) rather than the actual club. I like feedback; Some people don't. The distance wasn't affected that much by miss hits either. I would say on average 5-7 yards. Which isn't bad for a wedge.

Sound and Feel Score: (92.46 of 100)

IMG_0635 (Small).jpg

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

Wedges are the second most utilized club in the bag. We spend crazy amounts of money on an extra 2 to “DARE I SAY” 17 yards. When I can gain confidence and stick the ball closer to the hole which ultimately will mean making more putts then I am on board. This is coming from a guy who didn't want to part with his wedges from 1995 (still have them in the garage) because he knew exactly how they would react. With the groove conforming issues and such I went out and bought two sets of wedges over the last two years both at a higher price than Carnahan has offered…EVEN IN THE GUNMETAL. I was lucky enough to get these babies for testing but if I had to buy them after this go around SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!! Of course, I would like all my specs on the mark to make sure my playability is maximized.

LOP Score: (100 of 100)

IMG_0639 (Small).jpg

OVERALL LOOK & FEEL

A far cry from what some of the OEM's recently put on the market; C. Carnahan has the look down pat. Very understated with logos and pizzazz these hidden gems pack a big punch from a small “boutique” company. I know the glossy finish is “vintage” but let's go satin, plop in some lime green on the name and I would have 100's across the board in this category.

Total Subjective Score: (94.57 of 100)

IMG_0646 (Small).jpg

Conclusion

As we all know on this site being fit for clubs is one of the most vital sequences of buying golf clubs. For out of the box “off the rack” items these clubs performed above and beyond the initial call of duty. I still have some questions with the 60° club but I will get them figured out in no time. I am psyched to put these in play day in and day out and can't wait to start my off season training. I may have my fitter make a couple tweaks here and there but in totality they are gamers now and …….. This is a true testament that there are people who pure their heart and soul into making a high quality club without gouging and over advertising. WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Total Score: (92.165 of 100)

IMG_0646 (Small).jpg

The Six

These wedges are in my bag now and will continue. I buy wedges every year due to wear and tear. C. Carnahan has a believer. I would recommend and have already recommended these wedges to friends, family, and clergy. Well not the last one but you get the point. The things I would change are the finish and possibly look into the center or sweet spot on these things. I would assume this could vary from club to club but as I said before people with a case of the PLANKS might not enjoy my version. I would also add some other options in shafts if possible. The vintage design and lack of “in your face” graphics is quite pleasing.

IMG_0640 (Small).jpg

Wedges have arrived... Initial analysis and review up this afternoon....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Wedges have arrived... Initial analysis and review up this afternoon....

I'm working on mine as well. After chatting with T, I've got a good handle on what's asked/expected. I'm picking my step son up from school then ill get my initial impressions up. I'm taking them to the range today and may also bag them in the AM depending on how that goes.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'm working on mine as well. After chatting with T, I've got a good handle on what's asked/expected. I'm picking my step son up from school then ill get my initial impressions up. I'm taking them to the range today and may also bag them in the AM depending on how that goes.

Where in the world do you find the time???? ;)

I can barely find enough minutes in a day without a 3 year old.... kudos sir.... kudos....

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Where in the world do you find the time???? ;)

I can barely find enough minutes in a day without a 3 year old.... kudos sir.... kudos....

Oh my 3 year old is insane. My stepson is in middle school lol. The wifey should be home from her hair appt soon.

In The Bag

Oh my 3 year old is insane. My stepson is in middle school lol. The wifey should be home from her hair appt soon.

well peeps it is good to be in this little elite club and as stated before THANKS to MGS again and again.

Rook - I am also looking to play an hour or so today with them. Then spend time with my 1 1/2 year old tonight (or as the women say 18 month old). Anyways I have a 7AM tee time tomorrow and if the results are good i may bag them ASAP.

Nicsh - I have two words to finding the time...Find the right woman and adjust the time you play to squeeze in every bit of sunlight or light shining from the proshop. I practiced this summer with my wife off as a teacher at 5AM just so I didn't have to hear anything about her having him all day AHAHAHHAAHH

God do i love that kid though!!!!

I was lucky enough to receive a box from Carnahan Golf yesterday. Inside were 3 wedges that I was selected to review for the MGS forum. I am fortunate to get to open approximately 800-1000 boxes of golf clubs a year. (and NO, they are not all for me...), so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect when opening a new box of weapons. The CC wedges were packaged in a single plastic bag inside a cool white box. All clubs had shrink wrap and bubble wrap around the clubhead, but were all packaged together. After opening and inspecting the clubs, there were noticeable scuffs on the soles of each club, all in the identical spot. I assume that these are the bending marks. I had requested that the wedges be bent flat. The scuffs look like the chrome is starting to chip off.

My initial impressions of the wedges are quite positive aside from the chipping chrome. The look is pleasing, finish is classic, and I am a sucker for Lime Green paint fill.....

My first few waggles gave me the impression that the wedges were lighter that the sticks that I am gaming today, but after the static measurement portion of the initial assessment, I have decided that my "feel" "sucks"....

Here are the wedge specs that I requested.

52* - 35.5 inches, 62* lie

56* - 35 inches, 62* lie

60* - 35 inches, 63* lie

Here is what showed up. All clubs were measured using a Mitchell SCUBA loft/lie machine, a DigiFlex Frequency Meter and Golfworks swing weight scale.

52* 35.5 inches, 62.5* lie, D6 swing weight, 462g static weight, freqs at 311cmp.

55.5* 35 inches, 63* lie, D4 swing weight, 462g static weight, freqs at 316cpm.

59* 35 inches, 62.5* lie, D2 swing weight, 459g static weight, freqs at 310cpm.

So, all things considered, pretty close to requested specs. I will be testing the clubs as shipped, then altering them so that they are closer to what I am playing now. I was able to hit about 15-20 balls last night on the range with the 59* and the 52*. I was stunned how much farther the 59* went that my current 58*, and how much shorter the 52* was that my 50*. Admittedly the sample size is too small to draw a conclusion, but I was a bit surprised. The feel was reminiscent of the forged wedges that we used to play when I was a kid. Love that.

Quick little note.... I took the 52* up to the putting room, and chipped a few balls around... I chipped in 3. I have not chipped in 3 balls in that room in 10 years... hmmmmmmmm.......

carnahan%2B52.JPG

carnahan%2B52.1.JPG

carnahan%2B52.3.JPG

carnahan%2B52.4.JPG

carnahan%2B52.5.JPG

Carnahan Forged Wedges– Official MGS Forum Review by Nicsherman

DSCN2239.JPG

Intro

When I learned that I was chosen to be a Forum Tester for the C. Carnahan Vintage Forged Wedges, I decided it was karma. I have played the same brand of wedges since 1990. I have strayed once or twice, but always come back to what I know and love…the Cleveland 588. I am always looking for something better, but have never found it. As some of you might know, I work as a club fitter at one of the largest on-course golf shops in the US. We are located in Oregon, not far from where Chris designs these clubs. We have had his clubs in our store for a few years, and I have always wanted to take them for a more extended testing session., and now, thanks to MGS and C. Carnahan, I get to.

DSCN2248.JPG

Performance

I decided to break up the review into 3 separate sections, one for each wedge.

Gap Wedge Performance:

The 52* wedge is designed to fit in the bag between PW and SW. I use my current 50* primarily for full shots into greens from 110-120 yards, as well as for low running chip shots. My normal trajectory with a GW is moderately high with medium spin. This produces a shot that stops fairly quickly on both firm and soft greens. My distance control is typically fair. I will struggle with accuracy and consistency on full shots and chips with my current wedge.

The first thing that I was struck with when I tested the 52* C. Carnahan Vintage Forged wedge was the consistency. Every shot was EXACTLY the same. Same trajectory, same line, same distance. One of these things is good, and two are a bit of a problem for me. The trajectory on the 52* wedge was extremely high, and that leads to a much shorter shot than I am expecting. This wedge goes REALLY high. I was unable to hit the low punchy wedge that is a staple in many players arsenals. However, I LOVE hitting it at the flag. It seems like a tradeoff might be in order. I plan on bending the wedge a bit stronger to see if that affects the ball flight.

The second thing that hits me about this wedge is the spin that I generate with it. I seem to be spinning the ball back quite a bit more than with my current wedges. This may be due partly to the higher than normal Launch Angle, but I think not… I played 3 rounds of golf on our 18 hole par 54 course, and only took the wedges and my putter with me. I can safely say that the Carnahan Wedges had more shots spinning off the front of greens than my Cleveland CG12's.. (until the I adjusted to the increased spin). The increased spin was extremely noticeable on chips and pitch shots for me. I typically will play a chunk-and-run type of chip shot, or one without much spin that rolls out to the hole. With these wedges, I was getting noticeably more spin on the first bounce, and consequently, was coming up short on many of my early efforts. Learning to adjust to more spin could be fun. I haven't had the two-hop-and-stop shot in a lot of years.

Overall performance of the Gap Wedge is quite solid. Aside from launching the ball higher than I am used to, and generating more spin than I ever have, The C. Carnahan Gap Wedge has already made its way into my bag, displacing a very loved Cleveland CG12.

Gap Wedge Score 89/100

Sand Wedge Performance:

The sand wedge in this set is a 56* offering. I have bent this club to 54* so that I am able to compare it more accurately to what I have been playing for the last 6 years. The look and feel of this wedge mirrors what I got from the 52*. Pure AWESOMENESS. I am really starting to love these. The odd thing for me is that as short as I was with the 52*, I am long with the 56*. I know what the specs on the clubs are, as I had them measured and bent on a Mitchell SCUBA bending unit. I am amazed how much farther the C. Carnahan 56* goes than my Cleveland 54* CG12.… Nearly 15 yards. The accuracy is the same as the Gap wedge. Deadly. The trajectory is exactly what I would expect from a sand wedge.

I was able to hit any shot I wanted with this club, from full wedge shots, to 75 yards half swing knockdowns, to 20 yard pitch shots, to all types of bunker shots. The club flat out performs. I did not mis-hit ONE SHOT (this is in no way normal). The ground here is very soft right now, and my swings with wedges could only be described as sweeper/slider, so there is something about the sole grind that is a perfect match for me.

Spin on this wedge is the same as its gap wedge brother. High. I am LOVING all the spin that I have not had for years. I have been jealous of the guys that hit the 30 yard shot that never gets 10 feet off of the ground, and stops on the second bounce… The only time I ever had that shot was on XBOX. Not anymore.

Sand Wedge Score 92/100

Lob Wedge Performance:

The Lob Wedge in the set is a 60* pin finder. I have again bent mine to 58* so I will be able to more accurately compare apples to apples. I only use the 60* for shots around the green, and on short yardage shots of 55 yards or less. I never use it for full shots. Let me restate… I HAVE never used it for full shots.. That may change with this new wedge. The C. Carnahan 60* Forged Wedge outperforms my current Cleveland wedge in all facets. It is longer on full shots, feels better, spins more, looks better, and sounds better. The trajectory effect on these wedges doesn't seem to be as high as the 52*, so quite playable.

During my 3 round test of these wedges, I was using this wedge on most shots from 10 yards and in. I was experimenting with flop shots from all types of lies, pitch shots, chips, sand shots, you name it. What struck me, was that I was getting the ball up and in the hole at a much higher rate than normal. I determined that the 60* wedge with the triple grind sole is the perfect fit for my game and playing conditions. (Suspect and Soggy).

After the 2nd round, I decided to use to 60* to hit some tee shots on the shorter holes… 75-95 yards. Holes that I would typically hit a half SW. I was stunned when the 60* LW carried all the way to the flag on the 85 yard hole. I would never even CONSIDER trying to hit my Cleveland 58* that far. I was amazed, just amazed.

Lob Wedge Score 94/100

Total Performance:

This set of wedges works together to give this semi-skilled player all of the scoring shots that he needs. I cant think of anything else that I might want performance-wise from a set of forged wedges.

Total Performance Score: 91.66

DSCN2244.JPG

Subjective

Looks

The shape of the C. Carnahan Vintage Forged wedges is an heart pleasing teardrop shape, with a rounded leading edge and slightly thicker that usual topline. There is minimal visual offset on the 52* and the 60*, with a touch more on the 56*. There is classic knurling around the top of the hosel that harks back to the days of MacGregor and Wilson forgings. The stampings are all clean, uncluttered, and small. This lends itself to customization… If you happen to be into that kind of thing……

Looks Score: 93/100

DSCN2242.JPG

Sound and Feel

I have been playing forged clubs for years. It is the sound and feel that I am used to in my irons, and I have been searching for something like it in the wedges that didn't cost $250 each. I may have found that here. The C. Carnahan Vintage Forged wedges feel like a forged club should. Solid, muted, good. There is no click when I hit these, only mmmmmmmm. I get the forged clank when I mishit them, but that is something that I expect, and frankly, need. The consistency on distance is exceptional. Every good shot seemed to go the expected distance, and every bad shot was as short as I thought it should be. You get from these what you put into them.. Awesome in, awesome out.

Looks Score: 95/100

DSCN2240.JPG

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

This is a loaded question for me, as I have already decided to purchase these wedges and replace my Cleveland CG12's. My LOP is 100%.

LOP Score: 100/100

DSCN2212.JPG

Subjective Notes

The C. Carnahan Vintage Forged wedges are exactly what I am looking for in wedges. The only reason that I can see for someone not at least trying these wonderful wedges, is that they are brand-blind. These clubs are well designed, well made, well priced, and flat out work. I cant wait for the rain to stop and to start winning back some of the $$$ I lost the last few years.

Total Subjective Score: 96/100

DSCN2245.JPG

Conclusion

I played 54 holes on a short par 3 course with only these wedges and a putter. I will usually shoot between 2-6 over for 18 depending on how I putt, or how bad my wedge play is that day. With the C. Carnahan Vintage Forged wedges, I shot 4 over on round one, even on round 2, and had it to 3 under on round 3 before finishing up 1 under. I can honestly say that these wedges help me get the ball in the hole in fewer strokes than normal. I think that as soon as I adjust to the 52* trajectory and difference in spin on all of the wedges, the next year could be really interesting….

Total Score: 93.8/100

DSCN2240.JPG

The Six

1. Will these wedges go in your bag? Why or why not?

Yes. To leave them out would be shortchanging myself. I will play whatever gives me the chance to shoot a lower score, and today, that is the C. Carnahan Vintage Forged wedges.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this iron? Why?

I would recommend this wedge to better than average players searching for a more traditional looking and feeling scoring club.

3. How, if at all, did this iron change your overall impression of C. Carnahan?

I have always been impressed with the offerings that Chris puts out, but more his putters, and not so much the wedges. I feel like I have found a diamond in the rough.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

The short ferrule has to go. Get a long black one…… or something with color…

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

The clean lines and uncluttered stampings. Awesome. I love this. Perhaps a blank-back limited edition? Some custom colors?

Thanks to MGS and C. Carnahan for the opportunity to review these wedges.

(who loves the paint fill??)

Nicsh - I have two words to finding the time...Find the right woman and adjust the time you play to squeeze in every bit of sunlight or light shining from the proshop. I practiced this summer with my wife off as a teacher at 5AM just so I didn't have to hear anything about her having him all day AHAHAHHAAHH

God do i love that kid though!!!!

I found the right woman 20 years ago... B) She is quite possibly the best person on the planet... I an UNBELIEVABLY lucky to have tricked her that many years ago... With work, wonderful wife, Middle School aged daughter who I adore, my running, MW3 and now Blops 2... Finding time is TOUGH... I will though.. I always do.

Clean looking wedges, can't wait to here what you all say about how these perform. I've been a Titleist Vokey 200 series guy for years and before that I used Cleveland Classic 588's so I'd like to see how these stack up. Thanks for sharing guys.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

My apologies that I'm just now getting this up. I thought the wifey would be home earlier, and that I would have time to go hit these as well. Unfortunately, her hair appointment turned into a few other things as well, then we had some friends come over and I had another project going when they arrived. Needless to say, I'm a little late to the party getting this up, and I apologize.

Initial Impressions

As I said earlier, I had an unexpected package arrive today. It was the UPS man, and I was expecting the FedEx man for something that was overnighted (and didn't arrive).

Anyway, here's what he dropped off:

DSC04878.jpg

When I saw what the box said, I immediately became eager to get it open (and so was my son, as he started jumping up and down saying "What's in the box Daddy?"). I ripped open the end and was greeted with a few well packed wedges. Each head was individually wrapped and bagged and there was plenty of packing material to keep them apart.

DSC04879.jpg

DSC04880.jpg

DSC04881.jpg

DSC04882.jpg

DSC04883.jpg

DSC04884.jpg

DSC04885.jpg

Everything looked good, and I began unwrapping these new beauties.

I was greeted with forged, simple wedge heads, which I liked (plenty of room for stampings, etc, should one so desire that). They reminded me a lot of Cleveland Reg.588's in shape. The grips are Tour Velvet standard sized with green Carnahan etchings near the mouth. They certainly didn't skimp on the branding. The shafts that were installed are Dynamic Gold S300's. I'm hoping that these are true wedge shafts (35.5" blank lengths prior to install".) I haven't measured the steps yet to confirm my suspicions, but I'm fairly certain this is what they are.

DSC04887.jpg

I had requested, upon learning that I was selected as a reviewer, that the 56 and 60 be sent standard lie and 35.5" playing length, and the 52 be 35.75" and 1 degree upright. I received a 35 3/8" playing length 60 that was 0.5* upright, a 35.75" playing length 56* at standard, and 35.75" playing length 52* that was at standard lie angle (measurements verified with a Mitchell Club Length ruler with sole plate and a Mitchell digital loft/lie machine). The length on the 56* wasn't bothersome at all, as I will be changing the grips anyway (I play midsized grips), but the 60* was a hair short and the 52* had to be bent 1 up. Not a huge deal at all, though, just an observation I made about the wedges.

DSC04888.jpg

Now, on to my impressions about the clubs themselves. Like I said, they are nice simple and elegant wedges. They're void of and HUGE logos that lots of manufacturers tend to splash on their wedges these days. I liked that. They do have a little more bounce than I normally play, and the leading edge has a little more blunting than I normally use. But, that can easily be fixed with a little bench time. I intend on doing the first phase of testing with these in their original, unmolested state, with the added bounce and the more blunt leading edge. They also have just a smidge of heel relief and a drafted sole. This is something I like, though my normal, in play wedges have a good bit more than these. Again, something that can easily be adjusted with some bench time if I end up not getting along with them in their stock configuration. I also like the fact that they left their logo void of any paintfill on the hosel. It's nice and understated.

DSC04894.jpg

DSC04892.jpg

DSC04893.jpg

Lastly, I looked these over really well. And I couldn't find anything I really didn't like that couldn't be adjusted with a little time in my workshop, should I end up not falling in love with them after testing them tomorrow (I'm blindly bagging them for my round tomorrow). The only things I see that might change? Add more heel relief and get more extreme with the relief on the sole. The topline isn't clunky like lots of wedges these days, and I can get along with that really well (my Scratch TD's have a thinned topline). I'm stoked to put wedge to turf in the AM, and will report back with my findings upon hitting them. But, while we're here, how about a few more pictures (I love pictures, lol).

DSC04896.jpg

DSC04898.jpg

DSC04899.jpg

DSC04900.jpg

DSC04901.jpg

In The Bag

I found the right woman 20 years ago... B) She is quite possibly the best person on the planet... I an UNBELIEVABLY lucky to have tricked her that many years ago... With work, wonderful wife, Middle School aged daughter who I adore, my running, MW3 and now Blops 2... Finding time is TOUGH... I will though.. I always do.

And for that sir I say kudos to you!!!!!

Well... Thank you sir.

• 3 weeks later...

Carnahan Vintage Forged Wedges – Official MGS Forum Review by RookieBlue7

DSC_0013.jpg

INTRO

Their tagline is “DESIGNED BY A PLAYER”. And, after receiving these wedges, and having them in hand, I can tell that there was a pretty good amount of attention to detail. Personally, I wasn't very familiar with the brand. I knew that they existed, and I'd seen their website, but until these arrived on my stoop, I'd never held one or seen one in person. Upon their arrival, I made a close inspection, taking note of the performance features especially (specifically the grind, leading edge, and the face). These wedges were a contrast in what I've been playing for years (a really relieved trailing edge , pronounced C-grind, and a sharpened leading edge). I was pleasantly surprised at how simple the stampings were. This is always something I like, wedges not being busy so there's plenty of room for customization such as stamping, peening, etc. I was looking forward to diving into reviewing these.

DSC_0014.jpg

Performance

Accuracy These wedges were basically point and shoot. You line them up at the intended target, and it flies off the face in the intended direction.

Distance I've been a forged wedge player for years. While I've tried cast wedges in the past, I always revert back to forgings. These were right on par with my current forged wedges as far as distances were concerned. They're consistent and don't have hot spots like I've experienced in a few cast wedges. Consistent is exactly what I look for in distance control with wedges, not total distance. I want the scoring clubs to be consistent, and these delivered that precisely in the distance department.

Trajectory Characteristics In comparison to my current wedges, these come out a little higher. That's not a bad thing, and it's also a characteristic of the shaft in these versus the ones in the wedges I've been playing for years. These were using S300's in wedge length, my wedges have X100 8 iron shafts in them.

Forgiveness Forgiveness in wedges, to me, is how much distance one loses when missing the center of the clubface. Left to right forgiveness isn't really that prominent because, for me at least, unless I hit one off the hosel left to right isn't the problem. The problem is clanking one and losing distance or blading it and it scooting across the green. These were as forgiving as any wedge I've ever hit when clean contact was made just a hair off center. Hitting them fat or clanking them produced predictable distance losses or the shot that decapitates worms scooting across the green. Not shocking or surprising.

Control These wedges are easily flightable. I did have a little trouble hitting two particular shots: 1: The Nipper, where I pick it clean with a steep descending blow and it coming out low, bouncing twice and stopping. This was as a result of the leading edge being blunted and not wanting to dig, causing the club to skid instead of dig like I need it to on this shot. 2: Flop shot. This one, again, was because I'm just not particularly used to the grind on this wedge in stock form. I like to really lay my wedge open when hitting a flop shot and this one just didn't have enough heel relief for me to be able to predictably hit it.

Wedge score: 95

DSC_0021.jpg

Performance Notes

The 3 wedge set I received (52, 56, 60) performed exactly as I expected it to, with the exception of the two shots I just couldn't consistently hit because of the blunt leading edge and lack of heel relief corresponding to my swing/technique. I expected to still be able to hit those shots, and I just couldn't hit them on a reliable and consistent basis. Other than that, there were zero performance issues.

Total Performance Score: 95

DSC_0011.jpg

Subjective

Looks

These wedges keep the traditional pear shaped profile for most forged wedges I've played for the past several years.

The topline isn't too clunky, nor is it too thin. I've traditionally thinned the topline out just a bit on the grinding wheel, but this wasn't necessary as these weren't clunky.

The offset in these is minimal, which is a good thing, IMO.

The backs of the wedges were devoid of big gaudy stampings, which again, to me, is a preference.

The CC insignia is in a good location and stands out really well in the lime color, which has led to people asking what wedges these are. Kudos for causing folks to notice that and ask questions.

Visually, the club looks like lots of other forged wedges, keeping a traditional shape and being minimalist, and just screams that it's a player's wedge.

Aesthetically, this club is about what most other manufacturers have in their chromed forged wedges. The downside, IMO, is that only chrome finishes are offered. They're missing a few target demographics and a few preferences that people have on their wedges. That target demographic area is in the finish. I think these would have more traction should they be offered in more than just the chromed finish. Lots of players that play in a lot of bright sunlight will experience glare with these (and were it the spring/summer, I'd likely experience it here).

Looks Score: 96 of 100

DSC_0017.jpg

Sound and Feel

These wedges keep a traditional sound (which is the major influence on feel). They keep the soft, buttery feel and are void of any clickiness, which is what most forged wedge players look for and expect in their wedges.

Across the face, that feel/sound doesn't change much unless you get extremely out on the toe or in near the hosel. Being as I had to try to hit shots in both locations to even find out if this was true, I'm comfortable stating that the sound/feel across the face doesn't change, and that's a good thing.

The best part about the wedge set? The feel/sound was completely consistent across the set. That might sound confusing, but what I mean by that is hitting the 52, then picking up either of the other 2, were I blindfolded, I couldn't tell you which I was hitting, as the feel/sound was consistent through the set.

Sound and Feel Score: 96 of 100

DSC_0016.jpg

Likelihood of Purchase

Would I purchase these wedges? Assuming that I could get them in a raw or satin finish, I'd purchase them with zero reservations. I like these wedges a lot, and were they satin or raw, I'd really like them even more. It gets bright and sunny here during the true season, and I like having a wedge that cuts glare. I will be satinizing these if I can't find a local plating shop that could remove the chrome for me and get them down to a raw finish (my preference)

LOP Score: 98 of 100

DSC_0002.jpg

Subjective Notes

Subjectively, I am rating these awful high. For lots of players, these will perform very well. I will be modifying these slightly to fit my swing, preferences, and needs better. I will be modifying the sole grind so that I can really lay these open and hit the flop shots like I'm accustomed to. I will also be sharpening the leading edge, as the nipper is a shot I rely on a lot, especially at my home course, as I play a lot of bomb and gouge there and that shot saves my butt. And once I get those performance areas adjusted, and get the finish where it doesn't have glare on my in the bright sunlight months, I feel completely comfortable saying these will be in my bag come spring.

Total Subjective Score: 97

DSC_0008.jpg

In conclusion, I really like these wedges a lot. I like the feel of these wedges, and I like how after using them for 3 rounds and 4 range sessions, the faces are yet to look like he wedges have been used. That could be because I'm the guy that wipes his club after every shot (both on the range and on the course), but these wedges, especially for forged wedges, are durable as it gets as far as the finish on the face is concerned. I also like the minimalist looks that these maintain while having the splash of color to make them stand out as opposed to gaudy graphics. I also really liked the fact that, going from a perspective of looking at them as a totally objective outside observer, these will work for a LOT of people. I know lots of people struggle with fat shots, and these will mitigate those issues for a lot of people due to the leading edge. For me, I have to get rid of that bluntness(which I'll be doing on the grinder), because of my shot requirements, as well as the soil conditions around here (Red Georgia Clay is hard, and the clubs will skip if the edge is too blunt). I also will modify the stock grinds on the 56 and 60, going with a more pronounced C-grind on the 56 and a more pronounced modified C-grind on the 60 with a LOT of heel relief so I can lay that sucked wide open. I managed to get the wedges to perform very well for me, even with it in mind that they were very different from what I've been playing for a few years. That, to me, is a testament to the wedges, that they perform well enough to play for a person with quirky requirements. I'd love to see these offered with more than one finish option, which I believe is the one area where there is room for improvement so that people's aesthetic likes are addressed.

Total Score: 96

DSC_0009.jpg

The Six

1. Will these wedges go in your bag? I know that the 56 and 60 will for sure once they're modified. The 52 will go in on occasion depending on the course. I LOVE my Ping Eye2 BeCu wedge that's bent to 50 degrees for my gap wedge because it fits perfectly in the gap between my PW and SW.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend these wedges? I'd recommend them to lots of persons, but especially those that have fat shots as their miss. These are very tough to get to dig, and they mitigate that miss VERY well.

3. How, if at all, did these wedges change your overall impression of Carnahan? They didn't change my opinion, as I didn't have one before these other than on aesthetics. They did create my opinion that Carnahan was developed by a person that's passionate about their product and that, aesthetically, has a similar style to me (at least that's what I believe). That vision is one of a minimalist that likes to let the performance speak for itself.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? As I stated before, I'd change the singular finish option and include 3 finishes or more. Chrome because it's low maintenance and people really do like it. Then, I'd add the raw option as well as either a satin option or perhaps a black nickel option.

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models? I really like the minimalist look, and I'd like for that to be continued. I'd like to see the finish evolution. Then, perhaps as a custom order option, allow customers to order different grinds (like add a C-grind, M-grind, P-grind and a few other basic grind options). To me, this would allow them to appeal to a much larger crowd than they are currently directed at. I also wouldn't mind seeing them in large retail stores so that people can become aware of them and perhaps even be fitted for them.

Disclaimer: The 56* wedge is the one I hit the most, as it's also the wedge I use the most in most setups when chipping, hitting half shots, etc. It's also the one I let a few other people hit to try out the wedges as well.

In The Bag

RB7, thanks for the writeup, other than seeing their website, this is the first time I've even heard of anyone playing these wedges.

How do they compare to your Scratch wedges or other forged wedges you've played? Was the difference in head weight noticeable? (according to Carnahan's website, they have a slightly heavier head)

They're actually lighter than my Scratch wedges. Mine are TD's, which start from a severely overweight raw head and are ground down to spec. So they're lighter than the Scratch wedges. Feel is good on the Carnahans. The only things I didn't like are listed within the review, which was the chrome finish, and they need to be taken to the grinding wheel and have some shaved off here and there, which I plan on doing myself soon.

In The Bag

UPDATED REVIEW FROM FSAV

Hey all sending out noticed that I finally completed my review. Had it done for a little but been busy and sorry for the reposted pictures and shotty grainy photos but I didn't want to wait any longer. i will try and get better pics tomorrow at the course and update. Hope you enjoy and please feel free to ask as many questions these clubs have been in the bag since day one and haven't left......

My apologies to MGS and C. Carnahan for the delay

Hey Guys!

Tyler here from the Carnahan Golf office. I wanted to reach out to all three reviewers and everyone who has been joining the conversation on here and thank you for the invaluable feedback that you provide for us! We truly appreciate it and love learning more about what you guys like/want/need.

Feel free to ask me questions on here and I'll try to be as punctual as possible in getting back to you.

Let me know!

Cheers,

Tyler

Go low.

@Tyler_Elliott

You're only as good as your next shot.
Go low.

@Tyler_Elliott

Hey Tyler,

Thanks to you we were able to do this!!

I find it interesting that while rook stated the blunt edge played different and will help the fat shots I was taking more of a divot with the 52 & 56 wedges. Golf is a very strange game but can you enlighten us more than the website response to where the carnahan wedge were heading with the bounce and grinds (I.e. blunt leading edge)

Hey Guys!

Tyler here from the Carnahan Golf office. I wanted to reach out to all three reviewers and everyone who has been joining the conversation on here and thank you for the invaluable feedback that you provide for us! We truly appreciate it and love learning more about what you guys like/want/need.

Feel free to ask me questions on here and I'll try to be as punctual as possible in getting back to you.

Let me know!

Cheers,

Tyler

Go low.

@Tyler_Elliott

I would guess the reason you were taking bigger divots with the 52 and 56 would be because of the narrower width of the sole and leading edge compared to the 60. As you go up in loft, you should notice a difference in the curvature of the leading edge and sole.

Let me know if that makes sense or not.

Hey Tyler,

Thanks to you we were able to do this!!

I find it interesting that while rook stated the blunt edge played different and will help the fat shots I was taking more of a divot with the 52 & 56 wedges. Golf is a very strange game but can you enlighten us more than the website response to where the carnahan wedge were heading with the bounce and grinds (I.e. blunt leading edge)

Go low.

@Tyler_Elliott

I liked the CC wedges so much I bought some at the Orlando PGA Show in 2011 from the designer Chris himself. A talented and knowledgable guy.

Very handsome classic looks, good choice of colour for paint fill. So I'm not surprised at the positive comments and the deserved points total.

However, Chris is no longer with the Company now, such a disappointment for me personally as I was looking forward to his future designs especially in irons.

Amazing that the name stays but the craftsman leaves!

Be interesting to see where the brand goes from here.

Wish them well though.

Makes Sense. I was being specific to the differnce in your wedges to competitors. or the differnce in playability from Rook to me. Again this game is crazy so there are , I'm sure, 1000 things tha tcould be attributable.

On another note are these groove comforming?

I would guess the reason you were taking bigger divots with the 52 and 56 would be because of the narrower width of the sole and leading edge compared to the 60. As you go up in loft, you should notice a difference in the curvature of the leading edge and sole.

Let me know if that makes sense or not.

R.P. I answered the phone when you called a bit ago! The wedges that were used for the testing have the square grooves, but we offer them with the conforming V-Grooves as well. For next year, all of our wedges will come with V-Grooves standard.

Makes Sense. I was being specific to the differnce in your wedges to competitors. or the differnce in playability from Rook to me. Again this game is crazy so there are , I'm sure, 1000 things tha tcould be attributable.

On another note are these groove comforming?

Just got off of the phone with CG, and the guy said that the current wedges have the V-grooves, so yes, they are conforming.

I bought mine prior to their release, so mine are not.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Go low.

@Tyler_Elliott

The wedges that were used for the testing have the square grooves, but we offer them with the conforming V-Grooves as well. For next year, all of our wedges will come with V-Grooves standard.

I wonder if this has something to do with the increased spin #'s that I was getting??? My current Wedges are also non-conforming, but a few years older, but the Testers still spun a LOT more... Hmmmmm.....

Guys,

I actually could be wrong on the grooves of the samples, check on the hosel and if it says C.CARNAHAN then they aren't conforming but if it says V-GROOVE then they are conforming.

Apologies for the confusion, I'm pretty sure we just had more of the old grooves in stock so we sent you those for testing.

Cheers,

Tyler

Go low.

@Tyler_Elliott

Archived