TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is there a minimum driving distance?

I know most of us like to drive as far as possible. In a perfect world all of us would be hitting a drive 270 m with a slight draw, reach par 5's in two strokes, and have a wedge or at most a short iron to the green for all Par 4s.

In the real world, many would be happy (or lucky) to drive 220 m down the middle. With 220m getting home in two for longer Par 4s could be quite a tall order, and probably impossible if you got a downhill lie for the shot.

My question is, is there a minimum driving distance that one can play on ANY course without giving a stroke away due to lack of distance? My gut feel tells me it's about 240 - 250m - that's roughly my driving distance on good days, and I struggle on long par 4s, and have almost no chance of getting on the green on Par 5 in two strokes.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

The winner of the Women's US Open averaged 237 on a course that was over 6,900 yards long - let's see that would be around 6,300 m. She was 7 under for 4 days at that distance.

In the old days of wooden drivers the average drivers the average driving distanace on the PGA tour was 260. In fact in 1980 Jack Nicklaus won the US Open and the PGA averaging 260 yards - under 240 m - he was significantly under par in both tournaments and both courses were over 7,000 yards long.

I can break 80 on a course that is 7,000 yards long - I don't like to play at that distance because it's miserable but I can break 80 and I hit it about 220 m or 240 yards. In fact I did it earlier this season just to prove to myself that I could - I don't know that I'll ever play from that distance again - dont' have to - it's silly to try.

I'm thinking that around 225 yards or right around 200 m is the minimum distance you'd need to be able to hit the ball to really score well but it could be shorter.

Hope that helps

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would say it has more to do with the rest of your game than it does with how far you drive the ball. If you can get up and down from anywhere, or your putting is rock solid, then I don't think it will matter as much how far you can hit the drive.

The other factor that comes into play is what tee's you want to play from. If you are gonna play the tips and drive it 225yds then you will probably give up some strokes due to distance. But that's the beauty of golf, just move up a couple tee boxes and then it's competitive again.

I'd take 230 down the middle vs 280 in the woods anyday.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

In the other hand, there are golfers like me hehehe

I reach most "normal" Par 5 in two shots, and drive constantly over 250yd, but then take like 8 shots to sink the ball and end up with a constant triple-bogey (well, not that terrible, but you get the idea).

If I was to play from the Reds instead of the Whites, my score wouldn't change more than a stroke or two. So in my experience it really doesn't make a difference (for weekend players like me) to drive 30yds farther than the other people in my 4-some, because at the end the 275yd straight fairway drive counts as one stroke and so does the 2ft putt you missed...

My course is about 6800 yards and my average is about 240 yards off the tee. If they land on the fairway, breaking 80 seems like an easy task.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

It's kinda disheartening because, I was hitting the ball further than I've hit it in 3-4 years this year, and my ave. was 269 goin into my tournaments and through September. Then I started the radiation in October, and I don't have the energy that I had but I feel fine when I step onto the first tee. I don't think that I feel any different than 3-4 months ago.

But my drives are 15-20yds shorter. I ave. 248 today. It was 64* out, so it wasn't that cool & I actually felt ok. I don't understand it cuz my other clubs aren't any shorter. I mean, on a 172yd Par 3, I put a 7i about 15' rt(center green) of a leftside green pin & on #18, a 203yd Par 3, I layed a 4i 18' below a back green pin placement.

Oh well, I'm tired, from the season, from the radiation & I think I'm ready to put 'em away for a month or so.

We'll see

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I feel for you and my prayers are for you too!

Hope you'll feel better soon!

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

In the other hand, there are golfers like me hehehe

I reach most "normal" Par 5 in two shots, and drive constantly over 250yd, but then take like 8 shots to sink the ball and end up with a constant triple-bogey (well, not that terrible, but you get the idea).

If I was to play from the Reds instead of the Whites, my score wouldn't change more than a stroke or two. So in my experience it really doesn't make a difference (for weekend players like me) to drive 30yds farther than the other people in my 4-some, because at the end the 275yd straight fairway drive counts as one stroke and so does the 2ft putt you missed...

I agree with you that moving up to the shorter tee box may not help, as the situation depends on the layout and your game.

While I do not have the audacity to play from the Black tee, my aim for this year is to increase my driving distance so that I can comfortably play the Black tee if I so choose to - that's where the 450m par 4, and 550 par 5 comes into play. That's why I ask to tackle a course of this length, what would be a reasonable driving distance - assume all other parts of your game is in reasonable shape.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

It's kinda disheartening because, I was hitting the ball further than I've hit it in 3-4 years this year, and my ave. was 269 goin into my tournaments and through September. Then I started the radiation in October, and I don't have the energy that I had but I feel fine when I step onto the first tee. I don't think that I feel any different than 3-4 months ago.

But my drives are 15-20yds shorter. I ave. 248 today. It was 64* out, so it wasn't that cool & I actually felt ok. I don't understand it cuz my other clubs aren't any shorter. I mean, on a 172yd Par 3, I put a 7i about 15' rt(center green) of a leftside green pin & on #18, a 203yd Par 3, I layed a 4i 18' below a back green pin placement.

Oh well, I'm tired, from the season, from the radiation & I think I'm ready to put 'em away for a month or so.

We'll see

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Hang in there buddy - you're out playing lots of lesser people wouldn't be!

Back to the question - I have no doubt that 240 will work very well - In fact there are lots of stats that state that this is the average driving distance of a lower single digit handicapper. Again I'd hearken back to the old days of wooden clubs and such - 240-260 was the norm on tour and they would play courses over 7,000 and shoot under par - So if shooting under par is any good it can be done.

Now if you're going to Whistling Straits and playing for the tips (7,500 plus) then you have problems but why? Lots of those courses are as long as they are not to be boss but to give variety to course set up. If the course were to be set up properly it would play around 7,200 every day with each hole varying based on wind or risk reward possibilities.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Back to the question - I have no doubt that 240 will work very well - In fact there are lots of stats that state that this is the average driving distance of a lower single digit handicapper.

X2. I average 245. On my home course.....even playing from the Blue Tees there are only 2 holes that an extra 25 yards would make an appreciable difference. Mostly it's just along the lines of hitting an 7 iron rather than a 9 iron into the green.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I really do hope you get stronger soon.

But hey......you can golf in Pitt around Christmas????

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

A few years back (maybe 10?) one of the magazines did an article about how good you need to be in various categories to be a scratch golfer. By their analysis you needed to average 240 yards (219 M) with the driver. They also had a percentage for fairways hit, but I don't remember it clearly, but I remember being surprised by how low it was. over 50% but not by much.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I met a little boy today, 11 years old, and he loves the game and his favorite player is Phil. He has an inoperatable brain tumor, and his prognosis, short of a miracle, is not good. His name is Brandon. Please include him in your prayers tonite. And RK, please ask your congregation to say a little prayer for him. He's precious, and so mature beyond his years, I can't even comprehend dealing with what he's dealing with the class and dignity that he displays.

It sucks when that happens to adults. When it's young kids it just eats me up. Effing hate it.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

We'll see

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I will not say it is not you but I will say it is not all you. Before September the temperature was probably in the 90's. I forget the number of yards per 10 degress but if 70 is the base line, than above that you get 5 more yards per 10* we will say. So in September you were 20 more degrees or 10 more yards and now you are 60 degrees so 10 less degrees and 5 less yards, so there is a 30 degree difference for 15 yards. (If the actual number is 3 yards than you are still 9 less.)

It was 80* Friday and 60* today. I had to hit one more club today than Friday. It is just that simple. Now add your weakened condition and just be thankful that it is only 20 yards. Humidity can also play a factor. Even so the difference between 265 and 248 is nothing. I went to Florida and I went from 260 to 215 that is a shocker. Not to mention at least 20 yards with the irons.

Today, I missed the first green and then saw how short my drives were going and by the second green I knew, take one more club. I was not quite a club shorter but at least I got to putt.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I will not say it is not you but I will say it is not all you. Before September the temperature was probably in the 90's. I forget the number of yards per 10 degress but if 70 is the base line, than above that you get 5 more yards per 10* we will say. So in September you were 20 more degrees or 10 more yards and now you are 60 degrees so 10 less degrees and 5 less yards, so there is a 30 degree difference for 15 yards. (If the actual number is 3 yards than you are still 9 less.)

I never thought of this, though it does make it easier to think that it is something outside if my control!.lol

Yep, now that you mention it, it's this!!

Thanx Dude, ya made my day :-)

I wish I had read this before I played yesterday....and I really hope it's true. I was more-or-less a club and a half short all day. It was also 50Ëš as opposed to our summer 80Ëš. The stubborn side of me just couldn't take an extra club or two.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Oh yeah that's certainly true - all things being equal you will be a club shorter when it's 50 than you are when it's 70 - that's beyond a doubt - I forget the exact calculations but I remember it was club mid fall - 2 clubs whenever I got to play late fall/winter and a club again in the spring - The longer clubs were really short in the spring because the ground was wet and the ball wouldn't roll out.

It's dead opposite here - it gets so wet in the summer sometimes that all you have is carry - I find I'm 20 yards or more shorter with the driver in July/August/September than the rest of the year - that's why I have two drivers - one that flights the ball higher - I'll be able to do that with a couple of clicks of my new driver next summer though. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I wish I had read this before I played yesterday....and I really hope it's true. I was more-or-less a club and a half short all day. It was also 50Ëš as opposed to our summer 80Ëš. The stubborn side of me just couldn't take an extra club or two.

Here is the thing, because of the elasticity of the ball, for every 10* of temperature change you have a 2-3 yard difference in ball flight. So, take the 80 to 50 temperatures and you were 6-9 yards shorter just because the temperature's effect on the ball. However, the temperature also has an effect on your muscles. If it effects you as much as the ball, than you are a club to club and a half difference. Just that simple. Then with the diffence in ground conditions you may be even more.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

the short answer is NO, there is not a minimum driving distance, play the tee box that allows you a variety of clubs for your approach based on your distance. It is not fun playing driver LW for big hitters IMHO (not a challenge) and it's frustrating to play Driver 3wood for shorter hitters all day. should be a good mix of PW to 5 iron most the time.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived