TESTERS WANTED! ×

TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Review

GolfSpy WD

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious as to what would convince you at this point.

You've noted the huge forgiveness increase. You've noted the fact you can go for the green from farther out and expect good results. What's missing?

I've grown the love the short irons too Sparnar, they're definitely worth trying. The 8i is money for me for some reason.

Still don't like the AW, replaced it long ago with a 50* wedge and haven't looked back.

And I think the AW is the best club in the set; I love it's versatility. I use it anywhere from chipping out to 130yds.

Super Tuna, when you put it that way I sound a little off my rocker to not be considering the short irons.

I think right now I am not struggling too much with my MP53 7i-PW. So while the forgiveness would be welcome, it is hard to justify the $399 or so it would cost to get the 7i-PW. That is probably the single biggest reason at this very moment. I probably won't get the AW though, as I really love my MP-R12 GW (52*). It will leave a bit of a gap between my PW and GW, so I will probably have to make a plan to fix that gap if I go that route.

I will say that I love the forgiveness of these clubs, but I don't really love the feel. I know, I know, a 26 handicapper talking about feel is just wrong. If only my instructor hadn't put a Mizuno in my hands last year, I could have lived happily ever after in ignorance.

One other thing that also factors into the equation, is the MX25 6iron I bought recently with a bunch of other 6irons. I wanted to hit a few different 6irons for a bit of a comparison. I really, really like that 6iron. It offers some good forgiveness (much more imo when compared to the MP53 6i), and it feels really nice. But finding a second hand set in good shape isn't easy. And I'm pretty sure it won't offer as much forgiveness as the Rocketbladez.

I also have a bit of dislike for TMag, I have a tendency to dislike the front runner in most things. In tennis I never supported Pete Sampras, I was a Andre Aggasi fan. Not saying that Mizuno is Agassi, but TMag is so far ahead of the next competitor it feels like Sampras at his best. And it just gets boring when one guy dominates like that. But I have to say Sampras didn't dominate because he was sucky tennis player, in the same vein TMag makes clubs that perform.

I sound a little irrational. At the end of the day, the results are the only thing that should matter. I want to shoot in the 80s this year, and these will probably get me there without too much effort (combined with some short game practice).

If I can shoot 5/6 shots lower with another set of clubs (irrespective of what the badge says), I should be gaming them. And to be honest, I am probably already shooting 4/5 shots lower with only half a set of these. Imagine what a whole set would do then.

OK, after this bit of introspection inspired by Tuna, I think I know what I have to do if I want to shoot lower. And at the end of the day, that should be the most important motivating factor.

Thanks Tuna. I think I have seen the light.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

WILL YOU GUYS KNOCK IT OFF !!!!!! :D

You have me looking at a set of these now. HAHAHAHAHA

I must resist, New Nike VR PRO-COMBOS II coming out soon..... :unsure:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I'm excited to see the new Nike forged irons cause I love my wedges but the more i look at the rbladez tour the closer I get to just folding :lol:

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

You really going to be able to last until the end of November?

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Okay I've been ridiculously busy at work but I'm jumping on this one for Sparnar's sake.

A 26 and MP-53's just don't compute - Get the rocketbladz and be done with it - they'll be fine - if you want to stay with Mizuno get the JPX's a quarter inch longer than standard and have the lofts strengthened and you'll essentially have what you'd have with the Rocketbladz but it will cost you more. But just do it.

I'm not a huge TMag fan either but you know what - they gave me a free driver and 3 wood, they had one of their experts fit me and I hit the thing great - I'm very happy with it.

I'm not a huge Annheiser Busch fan either but when I go to a party and the only thing there is their product - I drink it.

Grab it and drink it I say. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay I've been ridiculously busy at work but I'm jumping on this one for Sparnar's sake.

A 26 and MP-53's just don't compute - Get the rocketbladz and be done with it - they'll be fine - if you want to stay with Mizuno get the JPX's a quarter inch longer than standard and have the lofts strengthened and you'll essentially have what you'd have with the Rocketbladz but it will cost you more. But just do it.

I'm not a huge TMag fan either but you know what - they gave me a free driver and 3 wood, they had one of their experts fit me and I hit the thing great - I'm very happy with it.

I'm not a huge Annheiser Busch fan either but when I go to a party and the only thing there is their product - I drink it.

Grab it and drink it I say. :)

Thanks, revkev.

Super Tuna got me thinking the other day, and I have since got a quote for the rest of the set. Just need to make sure of shaft choice, then I'm gonna part with the hard earned cash.

My number one priority is to start shooting in the 80s. So loyalty/affinity to a specific brand should count for nothing right now.

I have a JPX 800 six iron that I have been hitting at the range. From my limited experience with the JPX club at the range, I am not convinced that it is as forgiving as the Rocketbladez for myself. I'm not too worried about the distance, the forgiveness is what will affect my score the most.

Thanks again.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

You really going to be able to last until the end of November?

Fortunately, I do not have to wait that long ..... :)

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I have placed my order for the remainder of the set. But there is a lead time of 4-6 weeks. That sucks.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Bro, until the USGA changes the rules and yardages/clubs go in the little box on your scorecard instead of the score, that don't mean sh*t B)

THAT is all :P

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Crap! That was just ding dang funny!!! :lol:

I was 175 to pin yesterday and I pulled 8. I was long.That is all

Bro, until the USGA changes the rules and yardages/clubs go in the little box on your scorecard instead of the score, that don't mean sh*t B)THAT is all :P Fairways & Greens 4ever :mizuno-small:

LMFAO!

I was 175 to pin yesterday and I pulled 8. I was long.That is all

Bro, until the USGA changes the rules and yardages/clubs go in the little box on your scorecard instead of the score, that don't mean sh*t B)THAT is all :P Fairways & Greens 4ever :mizuno-small:

kelso-burn.jpg

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I was 175 to pin yesterday and I pulled 8. I was long.

That is all

Inquiring minds want to know what number was written in the small little box in the score card

:P

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

HIt MBP's Rocketbladez from the tee box yesterday - what was it, a 6 iron? Flew long, straight and easy -- and It didn't get all of it. Remarkable....

Oh, and Dan -- who birdied 18? rolleyes.gif

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 months later...

Took a few Nickent irons to the range to hit against the RBladez. Boy I sure miss the feel of forged and the thin toplines, I'm quite torn between this and the extra yard the RBZ's provide.

Maybe the rocketbladez tour is worth a look though it isn't forged

Feels not the deal breaker I think it's size.

I agree, but the all around performance of the RBladez is hard to give up. I mean when you hit a 5i from 215 and it finishes within 2' of where it landed, that's a game changer. I've never hit one of these irons thru a green and I've played on some firm ones.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

Haven't been around for a while, but thought I should give an update.

I managed to go with the Rocketbladez full set (4i-PW) on the advice of a few forum members, notably RevKev. And they have not disappointed.

I am hitting greens from FAR(by no means hitting them regularly, but before I wasn't even close), and my confidence is much higher than it ever was with the MP-53s.

One thing that I am still not used to, is hitting the ball off center, and the ball still ending up where I was aiming. The last round I played, it happened twice that I said "That one's short" after hitting it, only to see it reach the green. I have now learned to shut up, and just watch the ball.

And as I have mentioned multiple times before, the 4i is just a fairway machine. I have so much confidence with it, that I actually love stepping on to the tee. Before I feared getting on the tee box.

Unfortunately I don't get much time to play, I'm lucky if it is once a month, so the scores aren't below 90 just yet.

Anyway, enough rambling for now.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

• SPY VIP

Hi guys

Haven't been around for a while, but thought I should give an update.

I managed to go with the Rocketbladez full set (4i-PW) on the advice of a few forum members, notably RevKev. And they have not disappointed.

I am hitting greens from FAR(by no means hitting them regularly, but before I wasn't even close), and my confidence is much higher than it ever was with the MP-53s.

One thing that I am still not used to, is hitting the ball off center, and the ball still ending up where I was aiming. The last round I played, it happened twice that I said "That one's short" after hitting it, only to see it reach the green. I have now learned to shut up, and just watch the ball.

And as I have mentioned multiple times before, the 4i is just a fairway machine. I have so much confidence with it, that I actually love stepping on to the tee. Before I feared getting on the tee box.

Unfortunately I don't get much time to play, I'm lucky if it is once a month, so the scores aren't below 90 just yet.

Anyway, enough rambling for now.

That 4 iron may be the one club I carry into my next set

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• 5 weeks later...

No, you do not, not in the fairway.

-----------------------

Rule 25-2:

"A ball embedded in it's own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned & dropped without penalty, as near as possible to where it lay but no nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.

'Closely-mown area' means any area on the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairways height or less."

------------------------

Hopes that this helps Bro smile.gif

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

That's a huge rule to know and take advantage of (not in a bad way.) It comes into play in Florida all the time beginning around Memorial day and going into mid-October.

You can see the change of weather patterns in the air here - hasn't started raining yet but the clouds are coming in every afternoon now and the wind starts from the East and shifts to the West just for practice.

Just rereading this thread and came across this.  

Actually, for you Rev, and many others, the USGA allows for adoption of Local Rules specified in Appendix 1.  Florida (among other states) (fsga) has adopted the Embedded Ball Rule Local Rule, which in general allows relief anywhere through the green, closely mown or not.  Just learned this a month ago.

4. Course Conditions – Mud, Extreme Wetness, Poor Conditions And Protection Of The Course a. Relief for Embedded Ball

Rule 25-2 provides relief, without penalty, for a ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in any closely mown area through the green. On the putting green, a ball may be lifted and damage caused by the impact of a ball may be repaired (Rules 16-1band c). When permission to take relief for an embedded ball anywhere through the green would be warranted, the following Local Rule is recommended:

“Through the green, a ball that is embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground may be lifted, without penalty, cleaned and dropped as near as possible to where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.

Exceptions:

1. A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if the ball is embedded in sand in an area that is not closely mown.

2. A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if interference by anything other than the condition covered by this Local Rule makes the stroke clearly impracticable.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Archived