Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Review

GolfSpy WD

I can't say. The TM site says the SW and LW use the same sole as the ATV wedges, but they don't mention if the AW does as well. When I go to GG I'll compare the two to see if there's any difference.

They should be the same, the AW breaks from the irons and trns into a wedge, if you get what I mean.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should be the same, the AW breaks from the irons and trns into a wedge, if you get what I mean.

Looking at the two they are extremely similar, only difference I see is on the rbz at the end it angles down a little more than atv.

I do like how they are actually wedges, not irons with wedge lofts.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

The Bladez just have the weird cavity thing. From address they look identical shape wiise to me.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

My "playing" review is up. I answered a few general questions at the end, but ask away if want more specific information. I'm going to add a few more pics to it when I get home and get them off the camera. I'm going to add a "data" portion once I get on the LM.

Jayhawk, the AW is the most forgiving wedge I have ever played; it hit the ball all over the face and I put it on the green every time, with the exception of the two that went long. It is also one of the softest feeling wedges I have ever played; right up there with the Scratch 8620.

Nicely written JB. I liked those questions at the end, I'm going to steal that from you again :D

I'm not sure we'll agree on everything, but I guess that's what makes this type of review so cool. Hopefully, my mid-progress report as I'm calling it will be up by Friday with the final scored review late next week.

BTW, I'm curious what other shafts you think TM should offer? They seemed to have a lot of options. Also, I bet the Tour models address all your other points.

• SPY VIP

Nicely written JB. I liked those questions at the end, I'm going to steal that from you again :D

It's not stealing...those are required answerin' for every review.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

My "playing" review is up. I answered a few general questions at the end, but ask away if want more specific information. I'm going to add a few more pics to it when I get home and get them off the camera. I'm going to add a "data" portion once I get on the LM.

Jayhawk, the AW is the most forgiving wedge I have ever played; it hit the ball all over the face and I put it on the green every time, with the exception of the two that went long. It is also one of the softest feeling wedges I have ever played; right up there with the Scratch 8620.

It does make sense with the forgiveness because of the cavity back. Taylormade did a great job making it look as much like a blade wedge as it could while making it very forgiveable.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

BTW, I'm curious what other shafts you think TM should offer? They seemed to have a lot of options. Also, I bet the Tour models address all your other points.

For this model, they only offer the RocketFuel steel and graphite. I would just like to see something from True Temper or KBS as an option. The Tour model comes with the KBS Tour, why shouldn't I get that same option in the more forgiving GI iron?

For this model, they only offer the RocketFuel steel and graphite. I would just like to see something from True Temper or KBS as an option. The Tour model comes with the KBS Tour, why shouldn't I get that same option in the more forgiving GI iron?

http://taylormadegolf.com/TaylorMade/RocketBladez-Irons/DW-JN933,en_US,pd.html

TM actually has some of the best selection IMO. Click on custom options in the above link. Our clubs were custom made, but anyone can order them custom. The fitting cart in the stores will probably have all the shafts too.

http://taylormadegolf.com/TaylorMade/RocketBladez-Irons/DW-JN933,en_US,pd.html

TM actually has some of the best selection IMO. Click on custom options in the above link. Our clubs were custom made, but anyone can order them custom. The fitting cart in the stores will probably have all the shafts too.

Oh, wow, how did I miss that on their website? Thanks for calling me out on that, I will edit my review.

• SPY VIP

I know its a subjective thing, but giving 100/100 on looks with that top line and comparing them to some of the clubs outthere I find it a little bit biased...

I can't speak for JBones or his mindset, but the instruction I always give my testers when we talk about looks is:

How do the looks of these irons compare to other clubs in the same category.

By the nature of the design, Game Improvement irons won't be as pretty as players CBs or blades. Everything has to be relative. It's not fair to, for example, compare the aesthetic qualities of a Mizuno MP-69 to a Wilson Ci11.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I went into this exactly as T stated above, I also stated in the Subjective Notes that it was based on only GI irons. When it comes to looks these cant even hold a candle to my Swing Science, let alone the hundreds of other gorgeous sets out there. I've spent the last three weeks looking at tons of GI sets and to my eye, these are the best looking by far of the stuff on the shelves and from what I can remember over the last several years.

I also made it know in the review that I have never been a fan of TMag, so there is definitely no bias involved. You don't understand how bad I wanted to find faults and bash TM, but I honestly haven't found one.....yet. I've found small things that I would change and I've noted those in the review, but as far as performance goes, they are top notch. These are not GI irons that are made for a 20+ handi, they fit a much wider range. If I can play to a 7 with a players cavity and play to a 3 with something that's not what one would call traditional, then I'm gonna roll with it. This could be a honeymoon period and when it wears off I might think they are the worst irons ever, but I will revisit that with time.

Great write up JBones. You are seriously making me reconsider the set of Adams CMB's that just came in the mail today.

Here is a question for you though. Based on the distances you were hitting everything, do you think you will need to rethink the rest of your wedges? Is there too big of a gap now between the PW and your 52 degree?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great write up JBones. You are seriously making me reconsider the set of Adams CMB's that just came in the mail today.

Here is a question for you though. Based on the distances you were hitting everything, do you think you will need to rethink the rest of your wedges? Is there too big of a gap now between the PW and your 52 degree?

The PW is 45* and the AW is 50*, so I don't really have a problem there. The big gap for me is between the AW and my 56* SW. I'm considering going out and buying the 55* RBladez SW, to see if it would narrow that gap. I've also thought about pulling the 3W in favor of a 60*. I need some LM time to get some solid numbers. I've always been more of a feel player, so I've never really worried about gaps, but with all these being longer, it's causing a little concern.

The PW is 45* and the AW is 50*, so I don't really have a problem there. The big gap for me is between the AW and my 56* SW. I'm considering going out and buying the 55* RBladez SW, to see if it would narrow that gap. I've also thought about pulling the 3W in favor of a 60*. I need some LM time to get some solid numbers. I've always been more of a feel player, so I've never really worried about gaps, but with all these being longer, it's causing a little concern.

Just get ur SW bent a degree strong, u could always have bent back if u don't like it. Good detailed review by the way, enjoyed reading it.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Might not be the longest but you just bought the best looking set of irons on the market that are not blades IMHO. Love the look of the CMB's!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Just get ur SW bent a degree strong, u could always have bent back if u don't like it. Good detailed review by the way, enjoyed reading it.

I've actually got a 55* Wishon Micro-Groove HM on the way. There is a huge difference between the Maltby 56* and the RBladez AW; the ball just launches off the face of the AW. I've never been a big fan of these Maltby wedges, but I have made them work; since I've had them I only use them inside of 75yds, outside of that I play a pitch and run with my PW.

Added a couple more pics as promised; toplines of the RBladez vs Swing Science and a face on view of the 4I.

Excellent review. I had a set of R9's, and these seem like a large improvement.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

I have to say that your review was very thorough and a great read JBones. Thanks!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Where is the review posted? I can't find it anywhere.

2016 M1 10.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 3W Aldila RIP Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 19° Matrix Radix S7 Stiff 
Ping i25 4i-PW KBS Stiff (soft-stepped)
Titleist SM7 52 8° F Stiff
Titleist SM7 56 8° M Stiff
Titleist SM7 60 4° L Stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34" Superstroke Flatso 2.0
Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips
Snell MTB Red (Optic Yellow)
Powerbilt TPS Cabretta Tour Glove
Callaway RAZR Laser

Everyone needs to go check out the awesome header that MBP made for my review, it's pretty slick (it's the first pic in the actual review).

Way to go MBP...that looks sick!!

Where is the review posted? I can't find it anywhere.

Look at the first page of this topic. It's a little ways down the page.

Archived